Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• Why is it that most new builds are being built with a gas boiler. 
    Surely it would make sense not to do so.
  • bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    There used to be paraffin heaters. I am pretty sure I remember this.
    Paraffin Heater  Childhood memories 70s Childhood memories School  memories

Had one on those in the kitchen of our maisonette in Ann Street - used to get the paraffin for my mum in a 'Arkwright' type shop in Conway Road!
    On the corner with Ancona road?
    The ice cream van that came to Oliver Street in the 1960's also sold (to my parents' horror) paraffin!
  • The cap is still almost double what it was this time last year, so we're all poorer, with those on lower incomes much worse off.
    Plus £400, plus more for those on low incomes etc...

It could have been a f*cking sight worse.
    Having looked into heat pumps before I got a new gas boiler, I don't think the technology is really there yet.
  • Quite happy with that announcement actually! Could be a lot worse!
  • bobmunro said:
    The cap is still almost double what it was this time last year, so we're all poorer, with those on lower incomes much worse off.

It could, but there are many who are already struggling and further tax cuts, which I presume will be announced by the Chancellor won't have much effect unless you have a higher income. Many don't qualify for benefits but are struggling on low wages which aren't keeping pace with inflation.
  • bobmunro said:
    The cap is still almost double what it was this time last year, so we're all poorer, with those on lower incomes much worse off.

It could, but there are many who are already struggling and further tax cuts, which I presume will be announced by the Chancellor won't have much effect unless you have a higher income. Many don't qualify for benefits but are struggling on low wages which aren't keeping pace with inflation.
    They could do more, but this together with the £400 for all and the extra £250 for some should go a long way to alleviating the issue (and I assume pensioners will still get the winter fuel allowance on top so potentially £850 for some).
    Good point 
  • Huskaris said:
    Quite happy with that announcement actually! Could be a lot worse!
    Personally wouldn't say I'm very pleased with it - I'm glad something has been done (finally - thanks Boris) but the way it's been implemented means we're now massively burdening ourselves with even more debt to ensure the energy companies profits remain high.

I also think the price it's been capped at is too high for many families, and there is no support being offered for the lowest income or elderly groups. Businesses energy has also been capped for a much shorter time, 6 months I think? 

The cap on energy should help ease inflation a little, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up printing more money soon to boost the economy, which will feed inflation instead.

Furthermore, another missed opportunity to catalyse change in our energy sector to move towards more green/renewable/sustainable energy - instead we've brought fracking back and increased production of gas/oil in the North Sea.

Seems very short-term bandaging over cracks, not sufficient to truly support our economy, most at high-risk, or secure our future.
  • Huskaris said:
    Personally wouldn't say I'm very pleased with it - I'm glad something has been done (finally - thanks Boris) but the way it's been implemented means we're now massively burdening ourselves with even more debt to ensure the energy companies profits remain high.

I also think the price it's been capped at is too high for many families, and there is no support being offered for the lowest income or elderly groups. Businesses energy has also been capped for a much shorter time, 6 months I think? 

The cap on energy should help ease inflation a little, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up printing more money soon to boost the economy, which will feed inflation instead.

Furthermore, another missed opportunity to catalyse change in our energy sector to move towards more green/renewable/sustainable energy - instead we've brought fracking back and increased production of gas/oil in the North Sea.

Seems very short-term bandaging over cracks, not sufficient to truly support our economy, most at high-risk, or secure our future.
    I thought there was already agreed extra help for the lower income families and the lower income pensioners? 

I know my Father in law is over the moon on the help (not just that announced today), he's always been very frugal, lives in a very small, modern, 2 bed house that had a new boiler a couple of years ago and has always been the 'put a bigger jumper on' sort. His energy consumption used to be about £35 a month, so that might be £70 now, but he'll get £600 this year I think which pretty much covers 90% of his gas and electric bill for the year. On top of that our friendly society will be making benevolent grants of up to £300 (he'll get the full amount as over 70) so he's going to be well in profit!  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

I thought there was already agreed extra help for the lower income families and the lower income pensioners? 

I know my Father in law is over the moon on the help (not just that announced today), he's always been very frugal, lives in a very small, modern, 2 bed house that had a new boiler a couple of years ago and has always been the 'put a bigger jumper on' sort. His energy consumption used to be about £35 a month, so that might be £70 now, but he'll get £600 this year I think which pretty much covers 90% of his gas and electric bill for the year. On top of that our friendly society will be making benevolent grants of up to £300 (he'll get the full amount as over 70) so he's going to be well in profit!  :D
    And for everyone else that isn’t ? 
  • Maybe the country-wide riots and anarchy being confidently predicted on here is becoming less certain?

The UN's Food Prices Index has fallen for the fifth month in a row, in a sign that one of the main pressures pushing up the cost of living around the world could ease.

The index fell to 138 in August and is now lower than it was before Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The countries were both major exporters of crops including sunflower oil, corn and wheat.

The UN's Food and Agricultural Organisation says July's UN backed deal to re-open Ukrainian ports has eased cereal and vegetable oil prices.

That has meant more supplies have been able to reach international markets.

• I can see why the prime minister hasn’t done the windfall tax on the oil companies but I can’t understand that she hasn’t insisted that the profits are invested in the production of more energy for our country.be it in green  power or nuclear power. I would have liked to of heard if you don’t we will apply windfall tax. 
  • edited September 2022
    Martin Lewis has been tweeting some important information about fixing tariffs for anyone that may have recently fixed and is planning to cancel that fix.

Have been unable to post the tweet but if the above applies to you, it's worth having a look at what he says, as it may cost you several hundred pounds.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

As far as I know, the help for lowest income families is £400? I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound sufficient if bills have gone up £1000s for many. I don't know about help for pensioners, but I would be interested to know if anyone can advise? 

I'm glad you're FIL should be well looked after, but many pensioners won't be. I heard the other day that with the current cap the cost of electricity for some will be half the state pension, and the old state pension is less than that I think.

Fuel poverty is a very real problem for people every year, 1000s die every year because of it. I've copied the below from the most recent article I could find on the issue with a very quick search - I imagine it will be much much worse this winter.

• My mortgage has already increased by £150 pm compared to last December.

Now the Bank of England is threatening to raise interest rates again in September by a further 0.75% ...... in response to the Government measures announced the other day to cap the price of energy.

That will add at least a further £75 pm to my mortgage payment - that's like 80% inflation of my mortgage payments within 9 months.

And the Bank of England say they are using increase of interest base rate to fight inflation.
    They are the direct cause of much of the current inflation.

• edited September 2022
    bobmunro said:

Could have been much better as well though 
  • edited September 2022
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Good news! I have been so careful with my energy consumption since the end of March that I am actually being sent a refund by EDF, I put it down to changing to LED lights and using less heating, and changing my flow temperature from when the prices went up. 

Vs the same period last year, I have cut my electricity by 25% and my gas usage by a huge 40%

So, on my £294 a month payments, I have been refunded £262. Brilliant. 

Bad news! They have just announced that my new monthly direct debit will be... £501, despite my total bill between April and August inclusive being just £995. 
    £995 seems quite expensive as I'd have expected very little heating usage in that period, outside of April mine's been on for 2 days in that period and one of those was testing a new radiator.
    I love a bath unfortunately!
    So does my wife, every day!

It's worth looking at your hot water tank and how long you have the water heating on for. Mine's a brand new megaflo and I've been surprised quite how well insulated it is. It's a big tank (about 330l) and I have it on for 30 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the evening (Gas boiler) and we have piping hot water - my monthly gas usage is about £25, we do have a Gas hob as well within that used every day.

I'm getting quotes for Solar and battery with the hope that after that my Gas usage will be zero outside of heating the house in Winter, the gas hob is being replaced with electric at the moment as we are having a new kitchen fitted.
    My gas excluding standing charge is about £45 a month in that period. That does also include filling a 700l hot tub 3 times in that period. 

Wife loves a bath too!

I'd love a megaflo. Water tank is very old. Hot water on for a lot (primarily because my tank is small so can't fill up for the day) but I'm happy with that I think. Like I said, I'd love a megaflo
    You're newly married mate, cant you share one.
  • Seems like a no brainer to me. Surely we can’t knock this back ? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62822368
  • edited September 2022
    Absolutely essential.
    [I should warn fragile lifers that the article mentions Germany! ;-) ]
    Oh, and it includes a graph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems like a no brainer to me. Surely we can’t knock this back ? 

I guarantee we will. 

Don’t need Brussels telling us how much we should pay for our energy. 
  • se9addick said:
    Seems like a no brainer to me. Surely we can’t knock this back ? 

I guarantee we will. 

Don’t need Brussels telling us how much we should pay for our energy. 
    Don’t we currently get quite a lot of our electricity from France ? 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

As far as I know, the help for lowest income families is £400? I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound sufficient if bills have gone up £1000s for many. I don't know about help for pensioners, but I would be interested to know if anyone can advise? 

I'm glad you're FIL should be well looked after, but many pensioners won't be. I heard the other day that with the current cap the cost of electricity for some will be half the state pension, and the old state pension is less than that I think.

Fuel poverty is a very real problem for people every year, 1000s die every year because of it. I've copied the below from the most recent article I could find on the issue with a very quick search - I imagine it will be much much worse this winter.

As I recall £400 is for every household, £200 for every pensioner (winter fuel allowance) and £150 dependent on benefits/pension credit etc.

so single pensioners will get a minimum of £600, or £800 for a couple, possibly nearly £1k if on pension credit.

can’t say I’m massively up on state pension but that is was around £9K a year? I doubt there are many poor pensioners with an energy bill exceeding half that?

as always more could be done, but it doesn’t seem too bad.
  • Recently got a air fryer, to use rather than putting either of the two ovens. Also programming the dishwasher & washing machine to run during the night. Probably going to put more insulation in the loft, if I can get all the junk out of it.
  • Recently got a air fryer, to use rather than putting either of the two ovens. Also programming the dishwasher & washing machine to run during the night. Probably going to put more insulation in the loft, if I can get all the junk out of it.
    How are you getting in with your air fryer? Considering getting one 
    The junk may be a form of insulation!
  • Ese9addick said:
    Recently got a air fryer, to use rather than putting either of the two ovens. Also programming the dishwasher & washing machine to run during the night. Probably going to put more insulation in the loft, if I can get all the junk out of it.
    How are you getting in with your air fryer? Considering getting one 
    I absolutely love mine. One of the best kitchen appliances I’ve ever bought.
  • Air fryers have been a game changer in our house. We’ve had ours about four months and in all honesty we rarely use the conventional oven. We have a ninja dual 300 and it’s certainly big enough for three of us. Heats to cooking temperature almost instantly and we’ve successfully cooked a whole chicken, beef, pork and gammon joints as well as your everyday stuff. Cooks quickly and well. It’s more versatile than we use it for and Facebook has numerous groups with tips and recipes.  If you don’t have one I’d consider checking out getting one. Certainly cheaper to run than a conventional oven. 
  • Air Friers are so versatile. Cheaper to run than an oven, and I would have to say, generally with better results, and much healthier too!
  • My relief came in this morning and i asked him how the pub where his mother works is doing and he does great food.

He said he now shuts it a couple of days a week as his electric bill has gone up from 1k a month to 4k. 

Sign of things to come.