Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Superb from Joe there tbf. Laura K is a complete div
    I suspect his chances of being booked again have gone down the pan but it was wonderful viewing! I follow "Laura Kuenssberg Translator" on Twitter, which is hilarious but sadly, going by today's performance, the parody account will have trouble topping that. :smile:
  • My lad moved into his new keepmoat house this weekend I was surprised to see he had a electric car plug.Is this policy all new homes to have electric car plugs. I thought it would be better to have solar panels than an electric car plug. 
    Says to me we are committed to killing of the petrol and diesel car but the price of electric to run and the price to buy an electric car in the current climate I can’t see how it’s going to take off. Also if we’re going to have blackouts this winter because of electric shortage how we going to produce enough for all the electric cars on the road in the future. 
  • My lad moved into his new keepmoat house this weekend I was surprised to see he had a electric car plug.Is this policy all new homes to have electric car plugs. I thought it would be better to have solar panels than an electric car plug. 
    Says to me we are committed to killing of the petrol and diesel car but the price of electric to run and the price to buy an electric car in the current climate I can’t see how it’s going to take off. Also if we’re going to have blackouts this winter because of electric shortage how we going to produce enough for all the electric cars on the road in the future. 
    I believe since June all new builds have to have a car charge point. Although that's good to an extent, as you point out, unless you also have to have solar (probably with battery) it's not massively going to help.

Solar and battery makes much more sense if you have an electric car as you can in effect charge it pretty much for free, or take one of the Octopus energy tariff's where overnight it is a 5th of the cost.

The cost benefit analysis's I've seen for Solar and Battery really come into their own if you drive electric.
  • BBC reporting that “Energy industry sources are optimistic the government will back a plan to freeze the energy cap.” Additionally, looks like the Lib Dems, backed by Labour, will bring a bill proposing a price cap freeze to Parliament this week. 
  • Glovepup said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    So far the Sunday Morning programme has in my view been crap, leaving aside Truss herself.
    Is that comedian bloke being ironic and sarcastic or is he the right wing extremist he says he is?
    I've always liked him as a comedian, but he has gone down in my estimation if what he said about being far right wing is true.
    Who is it?
    Here is your answer: 
    Looking on a phone so anyone able to tell me who the lady in the red jumper is?
  • The reason Boris got in is because the majority wanted out of the EU and we wanted to have our own laws and control our borders. 
    Which hasn’t happened. 
    The next election is wide open it’s which party cons us the most. 
    Stamer is saying anything that he thinks will win him votes. 
    We need a clean sweep and get rid of all these public school nonces 
    We already had our own laws and control of our borders but I’m shocked to hear that Sir Keir Starmer is saying things to win him votes. Can you give me an example please ?
  • Glovepup said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    So far the Sunday Morning programme has in my view been crap, leaving aside Truss herself.
    Is that comedian bloke being ironic and sarcastic or is he the right wing extremist he says he is?
    I've always liked him as a comedian, but he has gone down in my estimation if what he said about being far right wing is true.
    Who is it?
    Here is your answer: 
    A former staffer to Boris Johnson! 
  • se9addick said:
    Glovepup said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    Who is it?
    Here is your answer: 
    A former staffer to Boris Johnson! 
    Coulda guessed!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022

Our problems are over (assuming you can afford to actually have the heating on in the first place)!

To be clear, before the government apologists start, there is a place for practical, sensible advice on making the best use of the energy that you can afford. But that should be in the form of a professional, government produced campaign of information, that should have been started months ago. As in some other countries.

Instead while the government spends its time having a foregone leadership campaign we get patronised by Edwina Fecking Currie! 
  • The reason Boris got in is because the majority wanted out of the EU and we wanted to have our own laws and control our borders. 
    Which hasn’t happened. 
    We already had our own laws and control of our borders but I’m shocked to hear that Sir Keir Starmer is saying things to win him votes. Can you give me an example please ?
    He said his going to pay millionaire energy bills same as poor for the poor. 
    If we got our own laws why are we still told what we can and can’t do by the Eu and why is there all these boats   coming across the channel with Albanians in. 
  • Albania isn’t in the EU.
    The reason the EU has some say in aspects of what the UK can or cannot do is because the UK has not yet fully left the EU.
    Which hasn’t happened. 
    He said his going to pay millionaire energy bills same as poor for the poor. 
    If we got our own laws why are we still told what we can and can’t do by the Eu and why is there all these boats   coming across the channel with Albanians in. 
    Christ 
  • Was always pretty clear that once Truss was confirmed as leader (or the ballots closed) she would announce some sort of price freeze. No matter how deluded she may be, if you have schoolteachers, police officers and other people in good, well-paid jobs unable to pay their energy bills then something has to give.
  • Christ  Jesus wept some people just luv cheap car washes haircuts and drugs. Suppose it helps save money to go towards the energy bills. 
  • Was always pretty clear that once Truss was confirmed as leader (or the ballots closed) she would announce some sort of price freeze. No matter how deluded she may be, if you have schoolteachers, police officers and other people in good, well-paid jobs unable to pay their energy bills then something has to give.
    It’s her plans to help businesses, where I believe there’s no cap on energy prices, that I’m most interested. Energy bills, even frozen at their current level, are unaffordable if you don’t have a job because your employer went bust. 

It’s interesting that rumours of an early election, possibly in 12 months time, began to circulate over the weekend at the same time a “furlough sized” intervention is also being rumoured. Maybe the Truss plan is to come up with a huge package of financial intervention, build popular support amongst the electorate, go to the polls to secure her own mandate (and five more years) and then deal with paying for whatever it is that she’s come up with afterwards. 
  • se9addick said:
    Was always pretty clear that once Truss was confirmed as leader (or the ballots closed) she would announce some sort of price freeze. No matter how deluded she may be, if you have schoolteachers, police officers and other people in good, well-paid jobs unable to pay their energy bills then something has to give.
    It’s her plans to help businesses, where I believe there’s no cap on energy prices, that I’m most interested. Energy bills, even frozen at their current level, are unaffordable if you don’t have a job because your employer went bust. 

It’s interesting that rumours of an early election, possibly in 12 months time, began to circulate over the weekend at the same time a “furlough sized” intervention is also being rumoured. Maybe the Truss plan is to come up with a huge package of financial intervention, build popular support amongst the electorate, go to the polls to secure her own mandate (and five more years) and then deal with paying for whatever it is that she’s come up with afterwards. 
    I'm starting to think the same, it's going to be one massive give away in tax breaks and handouts, they'll then call an election next summer.
    One pathway is for Truss and her cronies to not do anything and Teachers and others go on strike.
    Is there any point in working if it doesn’t pay bills? Might as well not work.
    It might mean that the something that has to give is the last vestiges of a coherent society, whilst the wealthy live in gated communities, with private security, private health, private education and the like.
    There is talk of Truss getting tough with Unions but she won’t be able to stop wildcats and walkouts.

• Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:
    Was always pretty clear that once Truss was confirmed as leader (or the ballots closed) she would announce some sort of price freeze. No matter how deluded she may be, if you have schoolteachers, police officers and other people in good, well-paid jobs unable to pay their energy bills then something has to give.

I'm starting to think the same, it's going to be one massive give away in tax breaks and handouts, they'll then call an election next summer.
    I bet she regrets making the pledge to reverse the National Insurance rise now that she has to pay for this massive intervention on energy costs. 
  • Just be a cash bribe to get us through it but how long is it going to take to get us through it and how long to the money runs out. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:

I bet she regrets making the pledge to reverse the National Insurance rise now that she has to pay for this massive intervention on energy costs. 
    Probably not, they'll just shake the magic money tree.

She'll/they'll do everything possible to stay in power, so it will be the great big give away.

Reverse of NI increase
    Income Tax cut,
    Possibly other tax cuts (Vat?)
    Freeze of energy costs
    Payments to all across the board (in addition to those already agreed).
    Windfall tax

We'll all be rich I tell ya!
    I’ll need to be in order to pay my mortgage when interest rates hit 9% as inflation spirals out of control!
  • se9addick said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:

Probably not, they'll just shake the magic money tree.

She'll/they'll do everything possible to stay in power, so it will be the great big give away.

Reverse of NI increase
    Income Tax cut,
    Possibly other tax cuts (Vat?)
    Freeze of energy costs
    Payments to all across the board (in addition to those already agreed).
    Windfall tax

We'll all be rich I tell ya!
    I’ll need to be in order to pay my mortgage when interest rates hit 9% as inflation spirals out of control!
    For all the worry about energy bills, rightly as that's heat and food, there is a ticking time bomb in my view on mortgages coming in the next 12-24 months as peoples very low fixes end and they realise they can't afford the newer rates.

I can see rents continuing to increase as well, we listed a couple of properties in Dartford recently on a Friday afternoon, by lunchtime Saturday we had to take them down as we'd had over 100 enquiries on each overnight.
  • Christ  Jesus wept some people just luv cheap car washes haircuts and drugs. Suppose it helps save money to go towards the energy bills. 
    I know these are extraordinary times but you do realise that the U.K. is supposed to be the 6th (?) richest country on earth. If people can’t afford a haircut and those that do are getting called out for it then we might as well give up.
    I know these are extraordinary times but you do realise that the U.K. is supposed to be the 6th (?) richest country on earth. If people can’t afford a haircut and those that do are getting called out for it then we might as well give up.
    Whilst I broadly agree, the 6th place is a little misleading. Thats on Gross GDP, if you do GDP per capita we are more like 28th.
    Think you go to the barbers Turkish (Albanian ) hair dressers to many times a week I think if you get me. 
  • We are reaping the benefits of our privatisation experiment - high prices, poor regulation, no strategy .....