Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• edited September 2022

se9addick said:
    Octopus energy gives you a spin on a virtual wheel of (mis)fortune to win a bill discount ranging from £0 to £500 every time you submit a meter reading. Like everyone else I know with Octopus, the outcome is always a discount of £0.

The Hunger Games is starting to look like a 1984 for the 21st Century

• IdleHans said:

se9addick said:
    Octopus energy gives you a spin on a virtual wheel of (mis)fortune to win a bill discount ranging from £0 to £500 every time you submit a meter reading. Like everyone else I know with Octopus, the outcome is always a discount of £0.

Yep I’m with Octopus and have never won anything on their spin the wheel thing! 
  • Speaking of spinning wheels...

TV game shows used to give away speedboats and holidays as prizes. Now we're reduced to this embarrassment.
  • we'll soon see what Tin Lizzie has got hidden up her jumper
  • Speaking of spinning wheels...

TV game shows used to give away speedboats and holidays as prizes. Now we're reduced to this embarrassment.
    the 'we buy any old banger' ads must be paying really well
  • Tough one for Truss. Has to secure the Oil companies’ vast profits and their party donations, and continue the transfer of public money to corporate pockets, whilst convincing her voters they are helping the ordinary folk. 
    Simple though really they always pull it off. 
  • kentred2 said:
    Tough one for Truss. Has to secure the Oil companies’ vast profits and their party donations, and continue the transfer of public money to corporate pockets, whilst convincing her voters they are helping the ordinary folk. 
    There are rumours that Sir Graham Brady had already received up to twelve letters. 
  • Chizz said:
    kentred2 said:
    Tough one for Truss. Has to secure the Oil companies’ vast profits and their party donations, and continue the transfer of public money to corporate pockets, whilst convincing her voters they are helping the ordinary folk. 
    There are rumours that Sir Graham Brady had already received up to twelve letters. 
    As much as I would find this amusing, I’m afraid I don’t buy into it. The Tories are now in a position where they either collapse as a political party for perhaps years or the MP’s bite the bullet and show a veneer of support and unity no matter how false. They have two years possibly even 28 months to hold it together and hope that things slowly turn around for them. With the economic situation as is, that seems difficult enough without continued dissent and in fighting. The alternative to this show of unity is basically a general election where as things stand the Tories would be swept away in a Blairesque landslide for Labour. The Tories are very good at uniting when they have to and they really have to.
  • Chizz said:
    kentred2 said:
    farcical. 
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:

se9addick said:

Yep - got the £0 each and every month that I've submitted my reading!
  • Was always pretty clear that once Truss was confirmed as leader (or the ballots closed) she would announce some sort of price freeze. No matter how deluded she may be, if you have schoolteachers, police officers and other people in good, well-paid jobs unable to pay their energy bills then something has to give.
    As expected the price freeze has been announced and a fairly considerable one according to initial reports. If she funds it with a windfall tax on the energy producers then personally will give her the benefit of the doubt on this issue at least
  • Was always pretty clear that once Truss was confirmed as leader (or the ballots closed) she would announce some sort of price freeze. No matter how deluded she may be, if you have schoolteachers, police officers and other people in good, well-paid jobs unable to pay their energy bills then something has to give.
    As expected the price freeze has been announced and a fairly considerable one according to initial reports. If she funds it with a windfall tax on the energy producers then personally will give her the benefit of the doubt on this issue at least

More likely that the consumer will have the cost added to their bills over the next 10 - 20 years.
    Where have you seen that announcement ? All I’ve seen is speculation or have I missed it.

More likely that the consumer will have the cost added to their bills over the next 10 - 20 years.
    I think it will be via government borrowing, which of course we’ll pay back through taxation and cuts to services. There just won’t be a specific additional cost to your energy bills or a rise in taxation, because she fears the optics on either of those options would be bad. 

As @kinveachyaddick says, if she partially offsets the enormous cost of this scheme through a windfall tax on the energy producers alongside measures to make our energy market fit for purpose then I’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

Not according to the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/06/liz-truss-expected-to-freeze-uk-energy-bills-at-2500-a-year

Not according to the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/06/liz-truss-expected-to-freeze-uk-energy-bills-at-2500-a-year
    The speculation has changed as the day has gone on. This morning the talk on the TV news programmes was that the cost would be paid by adding charges to the bills of consumers over the next 10 to 20 years. 

I guess we won't know for sure until Liz Truss announces it. 

The speculation has changed as the day has gone on. This morning the talk on the TV news programmes was that the cost would be paid by adding charges to the bills of consumers over the next 10 to 20 years. 

I guess we won't know for sure until Liz Truss announces it. 
    It feels like they are putting some feelers out to gauge public and media reactions. At different points it's been a freeze at the current rate funded by loans, current rate subsidised and paid for by taxpayer funds, then 2.5k at various funding options.
  • How does this potential Windfall tax relate to the previous one announced in May?
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    With the real potential of there being 'fuel' shortages this winter/January, maybe the government are foreseeing that and hoping people use less (because they can't afford to)...........
    Quite possible, plus if the government say don't worry everyone we'll bail you out, a lot of people won't be saving up (if they could) for when the cost goes up again.
    Not that I agree with that possible strategy.
    Quite, it was always the most likely scenario.
  • edited September 2022
    Good news! I have been so careful with my energy consumption since the end of March that I am actually being sent a refund by EDF, I put it down to changing to LED lights and using less heating, and changing my flow temperature from when the prices went up. 

Vs the same period last year, I have cut my electricity by 25% and my gas usage by a huge 40%

So, on my £294 a month payments, I have been refunded £262. Brilliant. 

Bad news! They have just announced that my new monthly direct debit will be... £501, despite my total bill between April and August inclusive being just £995. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Good news! I have been so careful with my energy consumption since the end of March that I am actually being sent a refund by EDF, I put it down to changing to LED lights and using less heating, and changing my flow temperature from when the prices went up. 

Vs the same period last year, I have cut my electricity by 25% and my gas usage by a huge 40%

Bad news! They have just announced that my new monthly direct debit will be... £501, despite my total bill between April and August inclusive being just £995. 
    £995 seems quite expensive as I'd have expected very little heating usage in that period, outside of April mine's been on for 2 days in that period and one of those was testing a new radiator.
  • edited September 2022
    Huskaris said:

Are you sure they haven't just looked at what you are paying and put it up accordingly? Without considering that you are paying too much. I was in arrears and they put mine up to an amount that was too much. I didn't mind as I didn't want to be in arrears but I am now quickly £500 in credit. I didn't want to change anything as I could see the incoming storm but I am half expcting them to put my existing amount up because quite frankly they are not the best communication wise and speaking to a competent person is not easy whereas a few years ago it was.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

£995 seems quite expensive as I'd have expected very little heating usage in that period, outside of April mine's been on for 2 days in that period and one of those was testing a new radiator.
    I love a bath unfortunately!
  • Huskaris said:

Are you sure they haven't just looked at what you are paying and put it up accordingly? Without considering that you are paying too much. I was in arrears and they put mine up to an amount that was too much. I didn't mind as I didn't want to be in arrears but I am now quickly £500 in credit. I didn't want to change anything as I could see the incoming storm but I am half expcting them to put my existing amount up because quite frankly they are not the best communication wise and speaking to a competent person is not easy whereas a few years ago it was.
    I think you're probably right. I'll keep doing monthly meter readings and see how I get on. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

So does my wife, every day!

It's worth looking at your hot water tank and how long you have the water heating on for. Mine's a brand new megaflo and I've been surprised quite how well insulated it is. It's a big tank (about 330l) and I have it on for 30 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the evening (Gas boiler) and we have piping hot water - my monthly gas usage is about £25, we do have a Gas hob as well within that used every day.

I'm getting quotes for Solar and battery with the hope that after that my Gas usage will be zero outside of heating the house in Winter, the gas hob is being replaced with electric at the moment as we are having a new kitchen fitted.
  • edited September 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

It's worth looking at your hot water tank and how long you have the water heating on for. Mine's a brand new megaflo and I've been surprised quite how well insulated it is. It's a big tank (about 330l) and I have it on for 30 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes in the evening (Gas boiler) and we have piping hot water - my monthly gas usage is about £25, we do have a Gas hob as well within that used every day.

I'm getting quotes for Solar and battery with the hope that after that my Gas usage will be zero outside of heating the house in Winter, the gas hob is being replaced with electric at the moment as we are having a new kitchen fitted.
    My gas excluding standing charge is about £45 a month in that period. That does also include filling a 700l hot tub 3 times in that period. 

Wife loves a bath too!

I'd love a megaflo. Water tank is very old. Hot water on for a lot (primarily because my tank is small so can't fill up for the day) but I'm happy with that I think. Like I said, I'd love a megaflo
  • edited September 2022
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

I think you're probably right. I'll keep doing monthly meter readings and see how I get on. 
    It might be as simple as the fact you claimed your credit back and they haven't factored that in so on your current direct debit your on an even keel. Ot at least they think so. Although you would think they look at average usage.
  • Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

My gas excluding standing charge is about £45 a month in that period. That does also include filling a 700l hot tub 3 times in that period. 

Wife loves a bath too!

I'd love a megaflo. Water tank is very old. Hot water on for a lot (primarily because my tank is small so can't fill up for the day) but I'm happy with that I think. Like I said, I'd love a megaflo
    It's worth looking at a megaflo or similar. I had all the plumbing done and new boiler and it wasn't hugely expensive, especially when I consider in Winter months I'm probably saving well over £250 a month on gas as the old boiler was very inefficient (probably more the way rates are going).

I also needed a big hot water tank as a family of four adults, means on average 1 or two baths and 3 or four showers. It also means everything is mains pressure and no water tanks in the loft to leak!

O you could cut a corner and just get a bigger tank, they aren't expensive.