Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Message from EDF

You don't need to send us a reading if;

• You have a smart meter that's sending it's readings for you, even if you're on a variable tariff
    • You're on a fixed tariff - unless we've asked you to send us a reading.
    https://www.edfenergy.com/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Message from EDF

• You have a smart meter that's sending it's readings for you, even if you're on a variable tariff
    Not falling for that one!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    clive said:
    Message from EDF

I am on an Edf fixed tariff, and received this in an email .. 

You’ve probably seen the recent announcement of the Government Energy Price Guarantee coming into effect on 1 October – as you're on a fixed tariff there’s no need for you to provide a meter reading right now. Your prices are fixed until the end date of your contract. UNQUOTE

no mention of 'unless we have asked for a meter reading

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:
    clive said:
    Just read my gas meter & entered the readings online to British Gas, no problem at all.
    Yep Octopus was fine too.

Anyone else playing “how long can we go until we turn the heating on this Autumn/Winter” too?
    Sod that, heatings on!
    Yes - it's been on a couple of times this week, but it is much colder up t'north. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:
    clive said:
    Just read my gas meter & entered the readings online to British Gas, no problem at all.

Anyone else playing “how long can we go until we turn the heating on this Autumn/Winter” too?
    Sod that, heatings on!
    Yes - it's been on a couple of times this week, but it is much colder up t'north. 
    wimp. How long you been up north now Bob? 10 years for me and I'm very much hardened. Admittedly I have had to stop wearing shorts round the house this week
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    se9addick said:
    clive said:

Sod that, heatings on!
    wimp. How long you been up north now Bob? 10 years for me and I'm very much hardened. Admittedly I have had to stop wearing shorts round the house this week
    14 years and I'm still nesh!
  • Options
    Entered my readings on Octopus no problem.
  • Options
    Finally getting an upgrade from a SMETS1 to SMETS2 smart meter (that the DCC would be unable to update), after asking for a complaint reference so I could go to the energy ombudsman. 

I then told them that I'm appearing on a Martin Lewis energy special in 4 weeks (I'm not) and now I'm getting my smart meter installed. 

Can't wait. Also got a heat pump tumble drier coming which should save £5k over the lifetime of it Vs a normal tumble drier. 
  • Options
    currently on hold with Bulb as yesterday has 15 credits put on our account for 'statement correction' so now 4k in credit, but then they will debit us the correct amounts where we have been undercharged for for 15 months.

No idea how this has happened as we are on a smart meter - please refer to the smart meter thread where I am one of the railing against being expected to use one of these devices.

Am waiting to tell them that as per Ofgen they cant 'back bill' more than 12 months anyway and that i am not paying any adjusted balance that has accrued since may last year and will be cancelling my direct debit with them until resolved

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone would think we should have Smart Meters by now that do it for you  :)
  • Options
    Anyone would think we should have Smart Meters by now that do it for you  :)
    Still worth taking a reading or photo just to protect yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminders about entering meter readings today, done mine and my mums, hopefully save us both a few pennies.
  • Options
    Bought a Tower slow cooker last week. £24.99 (half price, from TX Max). So far so good. Incredibly simple to use, really works well, and will save a bomb on the bills. 
    Have also ordered a Ninja Air fryer. Have friends who absolutely swear by them. They make life easier, and again are very energy efficient compared to the alternatives.
  • Options
    Submitted my leccy reading on the 30th. Scottish Power have raised the standing charge by 1p and unit cost by 7p so overall not too bad
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bought a Tower slow cooker last week. £24.99 (half price, from TX Max). So far so good. Incredibly simple to use, really works well, and will save a bomb on the bills. 
    Have also ordered a Ninja Air fryer. Have friends who absolutely swear by them. They make life easier, and again are very energy efficient compared to the alternatives.
    The Ninja air fryer takes a little bit of getting used to as it’s pretty much a new concept of cooking for most of us. There are really good Facebook groups specifically for Ninja air fryers with literally hundreds of tips and recipes to help at the start. You won’t regret getting one. One tip keep checking your food as it cooks until you’re confident on times and temperature settings.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    The Ninja air fryer takes a little bit of getting used to as it’s pretty much a new concept of cooking for most of us. There are really good Facebook groups specifically for Ninja air fryers with literally hundreds of tips and recipes to help at the start. You won’t regret getting one. One tip keep checking your food as it cooks until you’re confident on times and temperature settings.
    you have really become a Ninja 'addict' since taking up my suggestion and buying one .. good ain't they  :)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    you have really become a Ninja 'addict' since taking up my suggestion and buying one .. good ain't they  :)
    They are Lincs. Rarely use oven these days. So different from the old type of greasy air fryers of old. Wouldn’t be without one now. Definitely not one of those faddy kitchen gadgets that never get used like my bread maker. Our Ninja gets used every single day for 90% of our meals. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    They are Lincs. Rarely use oven these days. So different from the old type of greasy air fryers of old. Wouldn’t be without one now. Definitely not one of those faddy kitchen gadgets that never get used like my bread maker. Our Ninja gets used every single day for 90% of our meals. 
    was interested to see you cook a whole chicken in yours, I must give that a try .. bon appetite  :)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I had a slow cooker gathering dust for ages .. started to use it again a few weeks back, VERY good for a nice casserole/stew .. I have been no more ambitions than that so far
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We use our bread maker regularly to make Pizza Dough. Also great for blackberry Jam using jam sugar.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    was interested to see you cook a whole chicken in yours, I must give that a try .. bon appetite  :)
    A 1.6 kg supermarket chicken fits snugly into my Ninja 300 dual. I rub it with a teaspoon of sunflower oil and season with S&P but you can add spices of choice here. Air fry at 180 for 45 minutes and then check. Usually I give it a further 10 minutes at same settings. Could crisp it right up for final five minutes on Max Crisp setting if you keep an eye on it. Not much quicker than conventional oven but certainly cheaper. Results are very moist roast chicken. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    A 1.6 kg supermarket chicken fits snugly into my Ninja 300 dual. I rub it with a teaspoon of sunflower oil and season with S&P but you can add spices of choice here. Air fry at 180 for 45 minutes and then check. Usually I give it a further 10 minutes at same settings. Could crisp it right up for final five minutes on Max Crisp setting if you keep an eye on it. Not much quicker than conventional oven but certainly cheaper. Results are very moist roast chicken. 
    you've become a real chef de cuisine .. mine is also a 300 dual, I will give that a go .. I need to get a food thermometer as well .. a few times I have cooked (e.g.) pies at too high a temp, the outside looks great, but the inside is just tepid .. two of my early mistakes were to not use the 'bake' facility properly and to use the 'air fry' at too high a temp .. as you have said, it can take a while to get used to the machine ..it saves so much time, power and hassle over a conventional oven
    also, a simple tip, simple baking spuds in the skin .. pierce a few times, in the microwave to cook the inside (7 to 10 mins), then 4/5 mins in the frier at 'max crisp' .. just the business
  • Options
    Bought some tray racks to go in my air fryer to separate food, when cooking various items.
  • Options
    I've given my provider 3 readings now for my electric which they haven't accepted as they think they're "too low" and have instead gone with their own estimates. 

Their prediction for my gas and electricity costs combined for the next 12 months is just under £12,000 - for a 4 bed semi with double glazing, loft insulation and a porch.

Now, it might just be me, but I reckon my reading from the meter might be a tad more accurate than their guesses. But they dont seem interested and have whacked up my direct debits in line with what they say is due.
  • Options
    Can't you take a photo of the reading and e-mail it to them?
  • Options
    I always take photos of the readings anyway, but at the moment they aren't replying to my emails so it doesnt matter what's in them.

I'm pretty laid back about it because it should all come out in the wash eventually, but my monthly payments went up from £160 to £500+, so even though I knew it would go up (and probably wasnt paying enough to start with - but that's what they wanted) it's still a bit rich!

Would love to know what algorithms they use for working out what the direct debits will be because over the past 20+ years I always end up in credit and they are always slow in paying me back. It's like they work out an amount and then add 20% for good measure as it all helps their cash flow.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I've given my provider 3 readings now for my electric which they haven't accepted as they think they're "too low" and have instead gone with their own estimates. 

Their prediction for my gas and electricity costs combined for the next 12 months is just under £12,000 - for a 4 bed semi with double glazing, loft insulation and a porch.

Now, it might just be me, but I reckon my reading from the meter might be a tad more accurate than their guesses. But they dont seem interested and have whacked up my direct debits in line with what they say is due.
    Out of interest mate, who are you with? 

Not that you can move at the moment, but I have always been relatively happy with EDF.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Off_it said:

Out of interest mate, who are you with? 

Not that you can move at the moment, but I have always been relatively happy with EDF.
    I was with one of the smaller ones that went bust and got allocated to e.on instead.

I'm sure it will all sort itself out in the end, but it's all a bit of a mess right now.