Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• edited September 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Huskaris said:
    Air Friers are so versatile. Cheaper to run than an oven, and I would have to say, generally with better results, and much healthier too!
    How are the healtheir than an oven? A deep fat fryer I get but not sure how that works in terms of an oven.
    Agree. No healthier than a conventional oven but cooks faster and certainly cheaper. I find unless you’ve got a larger roast or large item eg family sized lasagna or shepherds pie I would only now use the air fryer which has settings other than Air Fry.
    Have you got the one with the pressure cooking option?  If so is it any good?
    We got the Ninja foodi 6 in 1. Link below but we paid £130 for it 18 months or so ago. Downside compared to the other air fryer is you only get one section so cant split like you can with the 2 drawers. But you do get pressure cook, air fry, slow cook, bake/roast, sear/saute and steam functions. Pressure cook function is pretty amazing. Did some Ribs in there the other day and they were the tenderest I've ever had, took them out and used the Saute setting to reduce the sauce which was rich and delicious. Cooked a whole chicken in here on the roast setting before when we had 14 friends over for christmas dinner (bunch of people who only eat chicken before anyone says its not turkey) came out beautifully with lovely cripsy skin but juicy tender meat.

All the bits are dishwasher safe.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7651445?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ilxxiiawr&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:598-923-9094|cid:16560363003|agid:132885990165|tid:pla-755002203021|crid:587663764529|nw:u|rnd:17982736104915061076|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9044972&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16560363003&utm_term=7651445&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=132885990165&utm_custom2=598-923-9094&GPDP=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ICZBhAzEiwAFfvFhPuqi-AXwO2x0fYIyUg7K_k9G9RlpIN-yB69sve8Qv5PN8gCGO8yLhoC9mwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Selling your dishwasher on ebay should save energy and bring in a couple of quid.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Huskaris said:
    Air Friers are so versatile. Cheaper to run than an oven, and I would have to say, generally with better results, and much healthier too!
    How are the healtheir than an oven? A deep fat fryer I get but not sure how that works in terms of an oven.
    Agree. No healthier than a conventional oven but cooks faster and certainly cheaper. I find unless you’ve got a larger roast or large item eg family sized lasagna or shepherds pie I would only now use the air fryer which has settings other than Air Fry.
    We got the Ninja foodi 6 in 1. Link below but we paid £130 for it 18 months or so ago. Downside compared to the other air fryer is you only get one section so cant split like you can with the 2 drawers. But you do get pressure cook, air fry, slow cook, bake/roast, sear/saute and steam functions. Pressure cook function is pretty amazing. Did some Ribs in there the other day and they were the tenderest I've ever had, took them out and used the Saute setting to reduce the sauce which was rich and delicious. Cooked a whole chicken in here on the roast setting before when we had 14 friends over for christmas dinner (bunch of people who only eat chicken before anyone says its not turkey) came out beautifully with lovely cripsy skin but juicy tender meat.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7651445?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ilxxiiawr&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:598-923-9094|cid:16560363003|agid:132885990165|tid:pla-755002203021|crid:587663764529|nw:u|rnd:17982736104915061076|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9044972&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16560363003&utm_term=7651445&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=132885990165&utm_custom2=598-923-9094&GPDP=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ICZBhAzEiwAFfvFhPuqi-AXwO2x0fYIyUg7K_k9G9RlpIN-yB69sve8Qv5PN8gCGO8yLhoC9mwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thanks that is really useful.

I have put off getting an air fryer for the fear that I wouldn't actually use it, like all the other stuff I have collected over the years.  

I was, however, looking at getting a pressure cooker anyway (not sure how often I would use that either tbh) but having both taking up only one space in the cupboard is very tempting.
  • edited September 2022
    MrWalker said:
    Selling your dishwasher on ebay should save energy and bring in a couple of quid.
    Dishwasher on even a half full load uses less water and less energy than washing by hand.

Worth noting though that energy and water performance of dishwashers and washing machines as per EU standards to inform the efficiency ratings they are given and you see when you buy it - is only measured off the ECO setting. other settings are not measured. So wherever possible running your dishwasher and washing machine on its most economical setting (usually longer in time but less energy and less water) will save you cash. 

There is no point buying an appliance with a good efficiency rating but then using a different setting than the one measured for those efficiency ratings. check your appliances handbook for which setting has the best combined energy and water usage.
  • edited September 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Huskaris said:

Thanks that is really useful.

I have put off getting an air fryer for the fear that I wouldn't actually use it, like all the other stuff I have collected over the years.  

I was, however, looking at getting a pressure cooker anyway (not sure how often I would use that either tbh) but having both taking up only one space in the cupboard is very tempting.
    Yeah thats why we went for it as our previously handed down slow cooker died on us and we wanted an air fryer too so went for the all in one device option. The slow cooker got more use when we were both in the office as you could stick something in there in the morning and dinner ready when you get home. But the pressure cooker can have the same effect in half an hour.

This does have 2 lids which is a little weird but the pressure/slow cooker needs a different lid - that one is removeable though and can be dishwashed.
  • Those Gas/Electric rates don't seem too bad.
  • edited September 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62899940

” Ms von der Leyen said that "making ends meet" was "becoming a source of anxiety for millions of businesses and households".

"In these times it is wrong to receive extraordinary record revenues and profits benefiting from war and on the back of our consumers," she argued.” 

• I’m with British Gas and EDF so who pays the £400 energy rebate or do I get a bit from both
  • I’m with British Gas and EDF so who pays the £400 energy rebate or do I get a bit from both

How you’ll get the discount

You do not need to apply for the discount, and there’s no need to contact your energy supplier.

The discount will be applied to your monthly household electricity bill for 6 months starting in October 2022. You’ll get:

• £66 in October and November
    • £67 in December, January, February and March

You’ll get the discount monthly, even if you pay for your energy quarterly or use a payment card.

Traditional prepayment meter users will get equivalent vouchers that you will need to redeem - see If you have a traditional prepayment meter for more information.

Your electricity supplier should provide more guidance on the scheme before it starts.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/getting-the-energy-bills-support-scheme-discount

• Sponsored links:

• Looking at my latest bill, my current cost is 29.6p per kWh for electricity and 7.5p per kWh for gas. So there is a circa 50% increase in the cost of gas? 
  • edited September 2022
    Just got an email from the EDF in France for our French property, saying that €40 per month is not covering our consumption. Fair enough I hear you say.. except the consumer unit has been turned off since the end of March, and we were paying €188 up until the beginning of August when i requested we lower it.

They love you running up a bit of credit they do..... ✊️💦

• edited September 2022
    EU to raise €140 billion from a windfall tax on energy companies. Truss is so out of kilter with practically everything. Instead of financing the help for the energy crisis from excess profits that EXCESS profits shes asking us to fund it over years. The sooner we have a GE the better.
  • EU to raise €140 billion from a windfall tax on energy companies. Truss is so out of kilter with practically everything. Instead of financing the help for the energy crisis from excess profits that EXCESS profits shes asking us to fund it over years. The sooner we have a GE the better.
    By comparison what is the UK estimate on the additional tax revenue  the windfall tax that we do have? (and additional corp tax just by virtue of increased profits?)

Or will we only learn that from the fiscal event / mini budget in the next week or so?
  • edited September 2022
    EU to raise €140 billion from a windfall tax on energy companies. Truss is so out of kilter with practically everything. Instead of financing the help for the energy crisis from excess profits that EXCESS profits shes asking us to fund it over years. The sooner we have a GE the better.
    By comparison what is the UK estimate on the additional tax revenue  the windfall tax that we do have? (and additional corp tax just by virtue of increased profits?)

Or will we only learn that from the fiscal event / mini budget in the next week or so?
    That increased tax revenue would also apply to the EU. What the U.K. is proposing is to allow the the energy companies to carry on making excess profits while we pay. I’d say that what the EU is doing would be fairer and certainly more popular. 
  • EU to raise €140 billion from a windfall tax on energy companies. Truss is so out of kilter with practically everything. Instead of financing the help for the energy crisis from excess profits that EXCESS profits shes asking us to fund it over years. The sooner we have a GE the better.
    Yes, the clue is in the word excess.

With the £400 payments, our energy usage is unlikely to cost much more so, possibly less, so I need to renegotiate my direct debit as it is nearly double my usage. In a way it is a good savings scheme as I am racking up a lot of credit in no time at all.

That increased tax revenue would also apply to the EU. What the U.K. is proposing is to allow the the energy companies to carry on making excess profits while we pay. I’d say that what the EU is doing would be fairer and certainly more popular. 
    So we don’t know yet I assume. Let’s see what the totality of the fiscal event is next week. 

My point you gloss over is that we do have a windfall tax. The scale is the unknown. 

So we don’t know yet I assume. Let’s see what the totality of the fiscal event is next week. 

My point you gloss over is that we do have a windfall tax. The scale is the unknown. 
    And the devil is in the detail on the EU one, doesn't apply to gas producers for a start.
  • edited September 2022

A chilling story of child abuse, poverty and life before the direct debit scheme. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember everyone to read your meters today
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Remember everyone to read your meters today

Did mine yesterday and it took me about an hour to actually get into my online account and then it timed out over and over again! (Scottish Power). I hate to think what the website will be like today!
  • Just read my gas meter & entered the readings online to British Gas, no problem at all.
  • clive said:
    Just read my gas meter & entered the readings online to British Gas, no problem at all.
    Yep Octopus was fine too.

Anyone else playing “how long can we go until we turn the heating on this Autumn/Winter” too?
  • se9addick said:
    clive said:
    Just read my gas meter & entered the readings online to British Gas, no problem at all.

Anyone else playing “how long can we go until we turn the heating on this Autumn/Winter” too?
    Sod that, heatings on!
  • se9addick said:
    clive said:

Me and my wife both work from home, it’s become an unspoken competition as to who will crack first and turn it on during the day.
  • What happened recently before the price rise was the companies had to extend the period as all the  wensite were down. Have they beefed up their websites since?
  • edited September 2022
    se9addick said:
    clive said:

I'm still working from home... Got cold on Tuesday during the day so put my dressing gown on.

Even when my Wife and Son have been home of an evening I've said no to it going on for now unless absolutely necessary - I mean she decided to have a bath last night, so told her the heating could go on for two hours so she wasn't cold getting out, and then the heating went straight back off.

Will of course relent the longer we get into winter... But c'mon, cant be putting the heating on before October.

My main tactic this winter is to just put more clothes on when its colder, so by March I'll look like the Michelin man
  • edited September 2022
    What happened recently before the price rise was the companies had to extend the period as all the  wensite were down. Have they beefed up their websites since?
    British Gas you have until the 14th October to submit your meter reading

Doesnt need to be done today - Various for other companies from what Martin Lewis was saying yesterday
  • My company, E-on are giving 3 days. You still need to take the reading today though.