Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 21/22

Comments

• Laddick01 said:
    Kyle Walker doesn't get a load of appreciation when he plays, but England and City look far better with him at RB.

Tottenham still haven't found a RB near his level.
    I think they had one, but they sold him to Athletico Madrid. Signing Doherty, keeping Aurier and selling Walker-Peters was bizarre too. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Kyle Walker doesn't get a load of appreciation when he plays, but England and City look far better with him at RB.

I think they had one, but they sold him to Athletico Madrid. Signing Doherty, keeping Aurier and selling Walker-Peters was bizarre too. 
    I agree selling KWP was a mistake as I said at the time but Trippier was a walking disaster for the best part of 18m before he was binned.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Laddick01 said:

I agree selling KWP was a mistake as I said at the time but Trippier was a walking disaster for the best part of 18m before he was binned.
    Ah really, I guess I was swung by the fact he was playing pretty well Internationally at that time, hadn't realised he was so poor for you guys. I'm not sure KWP is a top 6 RB but I can't believe you sold him and bought Doherty, making a loss. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Laddick01 said:

Ah really, I guess I was swung by the fact he was playing pretty well Internationally at that time, hadn't realised he was so poor for you guys. I'm not sure KWP is a top 6 RB but I can't believe you sold him and bought Doherty, making a loss. 
    but we gained PEH in the process, who has been immense for us pretty much every time he's pulled on the shirt.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Laddick01 said:

but we gained PEH in the process, who has been immense for us pretty much every time he's pulled on the shirt.
    Was it a condition of the sale then? I thought they were just two separate transfers. I reckon you could still have bought PEH, Southampton aren't known for hanging onto their players. 
  • edited August 2021
    City desperately need a centre forward otherwise they won’t be winning the league this season. Gabriel Jesus isn’t the answer, nor is Torres/Sterling/Silva or anyone else playing false nine.

That’s why they need Harry Kane so badly.
  • edited August 2021
    City had a bad day at the office. One poor game doesn’t mean they should be written off. They were poor defensively, but still have Stones and Walker to come back. Plus Zinchenko will usually start. Mahrez and Sterling had off days and they still have KDB and Foden to come back in. They won the title comfortably with no 9 last season, reached the CL final and now they’ve added Grealish. Torres will be a better player this season as well.
  • edited August 2021
    I think it would be bloody hilarious if they don’t just get what they want this time (though I have no doubt they will get their man eventually).

Yes this is pure jealousy speaking here but I remember beating them to the championship title and then hammering them 4-0 on the opening day of the Premiership season. Why couldn’t their investors have plumped for us instead eh? They are operating way above their station - it can’t last forever.
  • Really don’t know why they don’t just wait the year and buy Haaland 
     Younger and a lot lot cheaper than Kane. 

• City had a bad day at the office. One poor game doesn’t mean they should be written off. They were poor defensively, but still have Stones and Walker to come back. Plus Zinchenko will usually start. Mahrez and Sterling had off days and they still have KDB and Foden to come back in. They won the title comfortably with no 9 last season, reached the CL final and now they’ve added Grealish. Torres will be a better player this season as well.
    No one is writing them off, especially after 1 game when they still have half their team missing/not match fit. But the other 3 clubs you'd expect to challenge have all got a lot stronger. United have added Varane and Sancho, Liverpool have their defence back intact and Chelsea have got Lukaku.

Ok City signed Grealish but great player that he is, he doesn't really offer them a great deal extra than what they already have. Obviously if they sign Kane that's a different story but i think the title race will be much much closer this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Really don’t know why they don’t just wait the year and buy Haaland 
     Younger and a lot lot cheaper than Kane. 

Probably because they're the only bidders for Kane, but Haaland (if the release clause fee is true) will have half of Europe after him so you wait a year and there's no guarantee you get him.

So then what? You go back for Kane who is a) pissed off you didn't go for him this year, b) he's also another year older and then c) find you have Man united interested as well (who can't afford him this year).

Signing Kane now stops anyone else getting him and makes you untouchable for a few years. Probably the same reason (in my opinion) they went for Grealish this year too, as next year United would've been in for him. 
  • edited August 2021
    City had a bad day at the office. One poor game doesn’t mean they should be written off. They were poor defensively, but still have Stones and Walker to come back. Plus Zinchenko will usually start. Mahrez and Sterling had off days and they still have KDB and Foden to come back in. They won the title comfortably with no 9 last season, reached the CL final and now they’ve added Grealish. Torres will be a better player this season as well.
    No one is writing them off, especially after 1 game when they still have half their team missing/not match fit. But the other 3 clubs you'd expect to challenge have all got a lot stronger. United have added Varane and Sancho, Liverpool have their defence back intact and Chelsea have got Lukaku.

Ok City signed Grealish but great player that he is, he doesn't really offer them a great deal extra than what they already have. Obviously if they sign Kane that's a different story but i think the title race will be much much closer this year. 
    Callum literally said in the post before me that they won’t be winning the league this season if they don’t sign a centre forward.

FWIW I think they’ll still get Kane before window closes.
  • It looks like Man city have 6 attacking midfielders who just change positions.
    False number 9 which Peps prefers since Agüero stopped being the ultimate goal scoring central striker.

When you have 350 million pounds worth of players on the bench its a good idea to use some of them when you are losing !
    Mr Ego Guardiola persists in playing the 'false nine game' whilst leaving some better players on the bench and signing Grealish when a hundred million would have got him a player who could score some goals for him. I get the idea that although Citeeee lost to Cheelseeee (lol) in the Euro final whilst playing without a recognised striker, Guardiola is determined to persist with with scheme just to prove he's right.
    One other thought. Is Kane still 'ft for purpose' ?. Since his last injury he has looked well below his previous best. Will he ever again be as supreme as he was three of four years ago, although he will still be a terrific player. AND will he suit Guardiola's master plans ?
  • It looks like Man city have 6 attacking midfielders who just change positions.
    False number 9 which Peps prefers since Agüero stopped being the ultimate goal scoring central striker.

When you have 350 million pounds worth of players on the bench its a good idea to use some of them when you are losing !
    Mr Ego Guardiola persists in playing the 'false nine game' whilst leaving some better players on the bench and signing Grealish when a hundred million would have got him a player who could score some goals for him. I get the idea that although Citeeee lost to Cheelseeee (lol) in the Euro final whilst playing without a recognised striker, Guardiola is determined to persist with with scheme just to prove he's right.
    One other thought. Is Kane still 'ft for purpose' ?. Since his last injury he has looked well below his previous best. Will he ever again be as supreme as he was three of four years ago, although he will still be a terrific player. AND will he suit Guardiola's master plans ?
    33 goals last season then 4 at the Euro's is not fit for purpose?

In that City side if he plays 45 games he probably gets 40 goals.

Thing with Pep is that he might be stubborn, but it usually ends up being the right decision over the course of a season. He fucked the CL final up by actually changing his tactics.

What Kane injury do you mean? Last season he was the top scorer and top assister in the premier league.
  • edited August 2021
    It looks like Man city have 6 attacking midfielders who just change positions.

Thing with Pep is that he might be stubborn, but it usually ends up being the right decision over the course of a season. He fucked the CL final up by actually changing his tactics.

What Kane injury do you mean? Last season he was the top scorer and top assister in the premier league.
    this injury .. Harry Kane: Spurs and England striker injures both ankles against Liverpool - BBC Sport .. I can't quote figures but for me, after a brilliant start to the season,  Kane looked below par on his return from this injury and despite scoring a few in the Euros, did he look like 'The old Harry' ? Perhaps this was just a fitness issue after a draining season and a nasty injury.
    I watch little Premier football  so have no real 'evidence' to back up my claims, just a 'feeling' .. and I do wonder if Pep is really determined to sign Kane ? .. we will see 
  • Harvey Elliott looked very good today for Liverpool.

18 years old and doesn't look very out of place against Burnley.
  • Harvey Elliott looked very good today for Liverpool.

18 years old and doesn't look very out of place against Burnley.
    7 goals and 11 assists in Championship last season when he was still 17. Very impressive. 
  • Norwich and West brom/Fulham just swap leagues every season
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021

Sounds like the announcer is saying "Tyrone Mings, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."
  • Just read a surprising stat - Viera is the first Palace manager not to lose on his home debut since Pardew. Can't be bothered to check but that must be 5 or 6 since Big Nose.

Hope that's not a sign of things to come. 
  • Gabriel Jesus was outstanding for Man City yesterday. Deserved to get on the score sheet and done everything else but. 
    Man of the match easily. 
    City lacked a number 9 against Spurs, played with one this week and stuck him out on the right hand side. But it worked. 
  • Just read a surprising stat - Viera is the first Palace manager not to lose on his home debut since Pardew. Can't be bothered to check but that must be 5 or 6 since Big Nose.

For all the talk of a radical new era, and Palace clearing out the old guard, that 11 was still largely recognisable from the Hodgson era. Still solid in defence but without much going forward
  • Gabriel Jesus was outstanding for Man City yesterday. Deserved to get on the score sheet and done everything else but. 
    Man of the match easily. 
    City lacked a number 9 against Spurs, played with one this week and stuck him out on the right hand side. But it worked. 
    Helps it was against Norwich who look very poor, but I agree he had a very good game (judging on the highlights only I saw!)
  • The heat map for average positions of the City XI only showed 9 players on it because Torres, Jesus and Silva were all in the same position as an average throughout the game.

Was only Brentford.
  • Croydon said:
    Just read a surprising stat - Viera is the first Palace manager not to lose on his home debut since Pardew. Can't be bothered to check but that must be 5 or 6 since Big Nose.

Was only Brentford.
    And Brentford were the better side.
  • SKY Commentator about 10mins ago: Its only a matter of time before Man Utd take the lead here.

10mins later... Southampton 1-0 Man Utd

Completely against the run of play though