Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wimbledon ((EFL Cup) - Post Match Thread

Comments

• I for one am disgusted that our team of teenage debutants didn't win this one
  • edited August 2021
    Very poor, would love to know what game Adkins was watching as that was shite. Only youngster that looked anywhere ready was Deji, the rest very meh. Davison works hard but we need another striker in, we ain’t going up with him as back up.

Albie for all his hard work and energy can’t stick a ball into the box without over hitting it, so frustrating! We need bodies ASAP and I’m afraid that what we will get in will be 5th/6th choices and not good enough, hope I’m wrong. 
  • edited August 2021
    At the game. Unfortunately.
    Few positives really to take. Sadly the old stagers, Gunter, Watson and particularly Pearce, were clearly our best players. Felt for Morgan who did everything except what he's paid to do... the final ball. To be fair to him, looked like he gave it to Hady on a plate in the first half only for a complete air shot to render it a passing moment. EDIT: actually that could've been Clayden's pass. Davison's best piece of skill was a beautiful dribbling run taking it backward 25 yards. But he put a shift in... unfortunately his one on one was saved and he missed a header he really should've got on target. The youth were out of their depth, especially Roddy and Ghandour in the 2nd half. The subs came on and both got booked, though in any normal game Dobson would've been fearing a red and Stockley would've been wondering, as he did here, why standing up and flicking on a header is a yellow card offence. 
  • Has the state of the pitch been mentioned yet? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Ronnie definitely seems to be being frozen out 
    I agree but if he isn’t ready to play and we had a game tonight, training with the u-23’s was probably the best place for him
  • RedRobin said:
    Very poor, would love to know what game Adkins was watching as that was shite. Only youngster that looked anywhere ready was Deji, the rest very meh. Davison works hard but we need another striker in, we ain’t going up with him as back up.

Albie for all his hard work and energy can’t stick a ball into the box without over hitting it, so frustrating! We need bodies ASAP and I’m afraid that what we will get in will be 5th/6th choices and not good enough, hope I’m wrong. 
    No point in Adkins digging out his young players.
  • as long as they can repeat this sort of performance and result in the EFL Trophy I'll be more than happy 

It's not a pre season friendly. Should be playing a competitive team in a cup game surely? 

Maybe I'm naive and the days of the cups being important are long gone but I don't think we should accept mediocrity in cup games just because it's what we do.  Becomes a self fulfilling prophecy then like losing to Millwall.

I don't have an issue with it based on our current squad size. I'd rather the young players get a run out and everyone get a bit of early match fitness while we wait for more players to come in than a key player get injured in a nothing game
  • Maybe we haven't got as much money to spend as we thought we might have.
  • Southbank said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Southbank said:
    Scoham said:
    Ha ha ha. That really takes the biscuit.
    Why? 

It's a fair comment.

He's not going to do a Bowyer and call the owner out is he?
    Because its not true. Why try to make stuff up when the fans can see its BS. Only Elewere showed any promise, the rest were completely out of their depth.
    Go on then, what would you have said in the post match press conference? 
    Simple, Not Good Enough!!! We need signings in now!! PUT YOUR DARN GEEEEEETAR DOWN BOY AND GET YER CHEQUE BOOK OUT!!!
       That's what I would have said.
  • john3 said:
    Southbank said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Southbank said:
    Scoham said:
    Why? 

It's a fair comment.

Because its not true. Why try to make stuff up when the fans can see its BS. Only Elewere showed any promise, the rest were completely out of their depth.
    Simple, Not Good Enough!!! We need signings in now!! PUT YOUR DARN GEEEEEETAR DOWN BOY AND GET YER CHEQUE BOOK OUT!!!
    Would that be before or after collecting your P45? :)
  • We looked overrun in midfield, despite that being the most experienced part of the team. When trying to transition from defence to attack Watson would fire bullets at the players on the wing causing them to lose the ball quite often. Can't believe he played a full season for a championship team finishing 7th just two seasons ago. 

It's not a pre season friendly. Should be playing a competitive team in a cup game surely? 

Maybe I'm naive and the days of the cups being important are long gone but I don't think we should accept mediocrity in cup games just because it's what we do.  Becomes a self fulfilling prophecy then like losing to Millwall.

I don't have an issue with it based on our current squad size. I'd rather the young players get a run out and everyone get a bit of early match fitness while we wait for more players to come in than a key player get injured in a nothing game

Fair enough and suppose it comes down to perspective as to whether it's a nothing game. For some it isn't for some it is.
  • Has the state of the pitch been mentioned yet? 
    Has the state of the pitch been mentioned yet? 
    Just realised my question sounds like a joke. It wasnt😀
    The pitch looks wrecked after 2 home games? I know weather has been up and down but groundsman and staff have a job on their hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• john3 said:
    Southbank said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Southbank said:
    Scoham said:
    Why? 

It's a fair comment.

Would that be before or after collecting your P45? :)
    It would be before I stuck his guitar right up his amplifier!!!
  • I can see Rodney and others point in wanting to take it seriously, I'd quite enjoy getting to a 3rd round at least.
    The manager surely would want the same but he knows he is pretty limited with the squad at present. That's how I see it anyway, not that it's great.
  • He is a young lad who isn't ready yet. being played because the squad is woefully short at present. No need for us to pick him out because of who his dad is.
  • I think tonight was a lesson for the youngsters,deji after a good start got a bit over run,the others really got nothing out of a robust Wimbledon defence,but it is the only way to learn.It looks more and more likely that some of these lads will have to step up,so tonight was an ideal opportunity to get some experience.Much as Albie Morgan works his socks off,his corners and free kicks are crap,and really need to be worked on.
  • I think tonight showed the difference between young players looking good in pre-season and using them in competitive matches, albeit low-key.
    Think the problem is we've just got quite a poor crop of youngsters at the moment by our standards. Wimbledons team today was significantly younger than ours for instance.
  • Jac_52 said:
    I think tonight showed the difference between young players looking good in pre-season and using them in competitive matches, albeit low-key.
    Think the problem is we've just got quite a poor crop of youngsters at the moment by our standards. Wimbledons team today was significantly younger than ours for instance.
    Myself and others said last season that we should have been integrating the younger players in L1 ready for this season. That's not Adkins fault though 
  • The fact that Adkins didn’t make a sub until the 89th min on Saturday says to me he’s not happy with the recruitment.
    Absolutely this, 100%. It's not like he had 11 players on the pitch comfortable and cruising. By the 75th minute half of them were struggling for breath.