Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wimbledon ((EFL Cup) - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Tonight emphasised our lack of squad depth.

Was also disappointed that our midfield struggled to have much of a presence despite being fairly strong.
  • seth plum said:
    Just checked back. Seriously did Wimbledon break the substitute rule?
    I thought four was a bit excessive at the time but assumed it was allowed and they were running down the clock, which they did brilliantly second half.
    Be a laugh if they broke the rules and got chucked out.
    No it's been cleared up that they were permitted to use 4 given a late concussion.
    I thought it wasn’t a late concussion. It was in the 75th min, they made 2 subs after that.

Otherwise wouldn’t teams be claiming concussion subs as their original 3 to get an extra one anyway?

If a team has to take a player off for a concussion both teams are allowed to make 4 subs in total as I understand it.
  • Is Scoham being censored?
  • Scoham said:
    Adkins comments, here we go... he starts with the standard reaction to our annual League Cup 1st round defeat.

Really? What "positives"??
  • Tonight emphasised our lack of squad depth.

Was also disappointed that our midfield struggled to have much of a presence despite being fairly strong.
    Ancient Watson would have been a big part of their inability to excel. 

I'd have started Dobbie.
  • Jac_52 said:
    seth plum said:
    Just checked back. Seriously did Wimbledon break the substitute rule?
    I thought four was a bit excessive at the time but assumed it was allowed and they were running down the clock, which they did brilliantly second half.
    Be a laugh if they broke the rules and got chucked out.
    No it's been cleared up that they were permitted to use 4 given a late concussion.
    I thought it wasn’t a late concussion. It was in the 75th min, they made 2 subs after that.

Otherwise wouldn’t teams be claiming concussion subs as their original 3 to get an extra one anyway?

If a team has to take a player off for a concussion both teams are allowed to make 4 subs in total as I understand it.
    Ah now that makes sense 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Tonight emphasised our lack of squad depth.

Ancient Watson would have been a big part of their inability to excel. 

I'd have started Dobbie.
    Dobson and Stockley made no difference when they came on. In fact one of the worrying things was that Stockley won no headers against the AFC centre back.
  • As it stands, we are going to be very reliant on our defence and keeping a player like Innis fit (no track record of that happening). We have lost a lot of goals and have very few players with any track record of scoring a decent number for their position.

A simple exercise is to look at last season. We scored 70 goals and missed out. If we had defended better through the season, 60 might have been enough. Now look at our squad and honestly attribute the amount of goals they can be expected to get (using their track records). I think you will be well short of 60. 

We have three weeks to save our season. Which with some bad luck with injuries could even be a disaster.
    100% agree
  • Stockley was the sub to score a goal. But he needs help and he needs threats from other players to give him more freedom. 
  • Truth is, we’re always f’ing dire in cup competitions. It’s like night following day.
  • In other words. Don't you dare point out anything negative or shortcomings of the team/squad on a forum.
  • se9addick said:
    Roddy getting a start in a competitive match is deeply concerning. 
    Why? Pearce kept feeding him awful passes. He did well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Few flashes of nice play, but on the whole that was disappointing. I don't share Adkins positivity around the youngsters, as bar Deji I thought they looked well off the pace. 

Morgan has to seriously step up if he's our main CAM this season, and I'd assume he is having been given the number 10. His final ball is constantly lacking and his set pieces are wasteful. He played some great balls tonight though, but needs to realise it doesn't always have to be a Hollywood pass.

Clare didn't impress me at all. First tough was all over the place and looked clumsy. Hopefully he just needs some time to bed in.

If we had lost tonight with that squad as 3rd/4th choice, I'd be disappointed that we didn't give it a go. The worrying thing is that we played such a weak side, but almost all of them will be involved in the Oxford squad on Saturday. 
  • Albie Morgan should not be taking corners and free kicks until he learns how to get the distances correct.
  • Our Nigel isn't stupid , I see he set them a target of 25 clean sheets not goals 
  • Last season, let it not be forgotten, we actually won our first round game, played a week before the league season started. We might as well have done the same this year, seeing that we've not actually signed anyone since a week before the start of the league season.
  • We really have some me miserable fans and some trolls on this forum.  We are obviously short on squad quality.  Most fans are at least hopeful that we can strengthen before the window closes.  There are a number of people posting that are clearly hoping that we don’t so they can moan and complain and rip the club as soon as they can.  The same fans that disappear when we are playing well but are the first to post as soon as we struggle
    No, we want to make it clear to the owner that we won't tolerate bullshit and if he is serious about being succesful then like any other succesful businessman he has to be prepared to invest money in the business. We fans do our part by investing our money and by turning up to support the team. He has to play his part too and we need him to know that.
    Nothing would delight me more than to see proper investment in the team. I have supported the club through thick and thin for 55 years with some good owners and mostly bad ones. Which sort is Thomas? He has 20 days left to show his mettle.
  • Tough ask to think we could simply roll over the behemoth of a club that is AFC Wimbledon reserves , people need to be realistic where we are in the footballing hierarchy 
  • My first game as I missed Saturday.

I was actually pleased to be back.  Felt normal and felt like it did prior to Covid, and I wasn’t sure if it would feel like that.  The fact we’re out the league cup first round also gave it that normal feeling ;-) 

As for the game, you’ve got to take into account a lot of those players are young lads making their first starts.  It wasn’t pretty, but I wouldn’t read too much into it.  If we see that sort of performance on Saturday then you’d be frustrated.

• Hopefully Oguntayo can now step up.