Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wimbledon ((EFL Cup) - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Struggling for positives tonight, the squad is nowhere near where it needs to be.

Anyone else find the Roddy thing troubling, he just doesn't look good enough to me. Where did he come from? 
    He certainly looked out of his depth, but like all the other youngsters I wouldn’t be criticizing any of them tonight.  I heard some bloke behind me dig him out with some terrible comment along the lines of ‘Roddy, he should be Doddy’.  Doesn’t even make sense. 

Fine to say they played badly, but not worth digging them out from the stands.  Pointless when they’re that age and will not do anything to help 
  • edited August 2021
    It was just like that spell under Bowyer when we looked poor, were overrun in midfield, didn’t really press, played too many long balls under pressure, lacked composure on the ball, and failed to find the defence splitting, killer pass. 
    Apart from that it was fine.

Davison could have equalised but his shot hit the advancing keeper’s hand. 
    Deji was quite classy first half. 
    Davison had some neat touches in the second half. 
    Morgan gave it his all, but crosses never seemed to find a Charlton head. 10 for effort but 6 for quality. 
    Hate to say it but Wimbledon looked like they might be more mid table than relegation candidates. Very solid and industrious. Pressed well throughout. 
    Meh section: Watson, Pearce, Ghandour, Roddy. But the last two are young and should improve. 
    Disappointing section: Clayden. Couldn’t beat his man. Davison, a little ineffective although tried hard. Both will improve. Possibly by being sent out on loan?

I think Davison’s shot was on target, as was Watson’s which was deflected off a defender’s head.

Even though this was very much the B team it’s clear we need a few quality signings and/or loans if we want to challenge for promotion this season. 
  • This day started as total shit from a few seconds after I woke, and having checked in now will finish in the same vein.  Could have done with a win tonight to put a smile on my face but it's only football.

Could do with a win Saturday so that any decent players see a project heading in the right direction points wise; surely the trouble with leaving signings late must be that the best can start to see how respective clubs seasons are shaping up.
  • edited August 2021
    Has the state of the pitch been mentioned yet? 
    Just realised my question sounds like a joke. It wasnt😀
    The pitch looks wrecked after 2 home games? I know weather has been up and down but groundsman and staff have a job on their hands.
    I'm sure I saw a tweet from the groundsman saying he wasn't happy with the pitch a few weeks ago. Not much of a break in between seasons and a ridiculous bit of weather maybe?
  • Croydon said:
    The pitch looks wrecked after 2 home games? I know weather has been up and down but groundsman and staff have a job on their hands.
    I'm sure I saw a tweet from the groundsman saying he wasn't happy with the pitch a few weeks ago. Not much of a break in between seasons and a ridiculous bit of weather maybe?
    OK thanks mate. Seemed like the pitch was cut up in lots of places. Sunny weather forecast so hopefully they can sort the grass out for next home game.

• Croydon said:
    The weather might have been awful, but the break between seasons is the same as normal, indeed longer as as we weren't in the playoffs, and didn't play any home friendlies either
  • Croydon said:
    The weather might have been awful, but the break between seasons is the same as normal, indeed longer as as we weren't in the playoffs, and didn't play any home friendlies either
    Season finished later didn't it? Or have I imagined that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stockley was the sub to score a goal. But he needs help and he needs threats from other players to give him more freedom. 
    If you close down the crosses to Stockleys head then we have no other threat.
  • PWR as can't be ar*ed after that extremely worrying , if not disappointing evening in SE7. 

Lacklustre, second to nearly every ball ( and that's being generous), lacking in ideas....shall I go on ? 

I honestly don't know where to begin so best to keep it short, but not so sweet.

The youngsters deserve their chance, and the Cup is made for this as we rarely win anyway, but apart from Deji Mk2, none of them caught the eye & TBH, looked totally out of place. Davison worked hard but hardly won a ball in the air all match. If JS gets injured, we're fecked. End of. 

And for the 1st teamers ? Well, I have to admit, I'm not overly impressed with Clare, & Dobson was awful in the 20 or so minutes he was on the pitch. 

Albie stood out from the others by virtue of his energy & eagerness to turn things around but it seemed that everything he tried that didn't quite come off, NA would turn around to Jacko, with raised eyebrows or a shake of the head....Maybe I'm reading too much into this but our young midfielder seems to be under more scrutiny than anyone else in the red shirt. We sat a few rows back from our dugout and it was difficult to ignore this. Others around us seemed to notice as when Albie made a good pass or broke up a Wimbledon move, the clapping increased as if to say "Well done, Albie. We're with you". Rather concerning though IMO that this player appears to be under pressure to perform more than others. I hope I'm wrong. 

In summary, I'd wished I'd stayed at home watching Eastenders & Holby but it was my decision. It's crystal clear, even to me, that there is no depth or cover at all in our squad to the extent that there seemed to be a sharp intake of breath when any tackle was made by the opposition on our senior players tonight...and not just from me. Of course we'd all like to see our young guns coming through but IMO, none of them is ready for L1 matches if we aim to fulfil TS's "dreams" this season. 

It's all very well promising more players arriving but to expect them to hit the ground running & slot in immediately is pie in the sky in my book. I wonder whether the gaffer is happy with the way his squad is shaping up or whether there is trouble at 'mill behind the scenes. He certainly didn't look happy tonight & I'm interested to hear what he has to say about this performance when I have chance to read it. Something has to happen/change , goals need to be scored from somewhere, our midfield is crying out for a playmaker, ideally in the Kinsella mode and this won't change without money changing hands. 

Whether TS is prepared to save our season before it's barely started remains to be seen. Decent players of the kind we badly need won't come cheap. But he has raised expectations and he will be expected to play his part in delivering regardless of whether he was somewhat foolhardy at the time. There are problems, however minor, starting to reveal themselves behind the scenes which need attention in addition to those visible to all on the playing side. My views regarding an on site CEO have been posted elsewhere.

It remains to be seen how these first few weeks of the season will play out. 

But our owner will know that he who pays the piper calls the tune. 

Let's hope it's one we all want to hear.
    You are right with Albie there seems a lot of pressure on him and some unfair criticism in my opinion. The manager played him tonight for a reason so let's hope the manager knows better than us.
    As fans we can only do our bit and support the team. I'd love our fans to get behind Albie but trust me it's not gonna happen as there's too many idiot fans on his case already. He needs to perform this season.
    Agree with you also about Dobson. He's bang average. 

• edited August 2021
    Morgan is a good player for me but he is not a number 10 where Adkins is playing him. Dobson I don't think is good enough. Clare I feel has better to come.

I wonder if Adkins may walk if we don't get more players in very quickly and of the right level? He has no affiliation to us like Bowyer did and he is getting put in a no win situation for me.
  • cs1986 said:
    Morgan is a good player for me but he is not a number 10 where Adkins is playing him. Dobson I don't think is good enough. Clare I feel has better to come.

I wonder if Adkins may walk if we don't get more players in very quickly and of the right level? He has no affiliation to us like Bowyer did and he is getting put in a no win situation for me.
    2 games into a season is early to be wondering that. Let's give him a chance.
    I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan as I found it a strange choice but kept my opinion to myself at the time.
    I will say that affiliations mean f all to everyone except a fan.
  • cs1986 said:

I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan as I found it a strange choice but kept my opinion to myself at the time.
    I dont want him to go or to walk. I actually think he is a good manager but he must of expected a much better squad than he has got so far. The part about affiliations was that Bowyer seemed to stay for longer than most would but that can be looked at a few ways.
  • cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:

I dont want him to go or to walk. I actually think he is a good manager but he must of expected a much better squad than he has got so far. The part about affiliations was that Bowyer seemed to stay for longer than most would but that can be looked at a few ways.
    He won't walk mate. Just like Lee didn't walk. Contracts are money. 

• seth plum said:
    Classic performance by Wimbledon. They got their goal and dominated with a good professional job after that. They didn’t have much to beat we posed no threat.
    Our structural soft underbelly was exposed.
    No positives I’m afraid.
    Who really cares?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    The first quote sounds to me like...." I have no choice but to play the U23's so I have to say they are good enough"

More bollox than a Political Party broadcast. 
  • As it stands, we are going to be very reliant on our defence and keeping a player like Innis fit (no track record of that happening). We have lost a lot of goals and have very few players with any track record of scoring a decent number for their position.

A simple exercise is to look at last season. We scored 70 goals and missed out. If we had defended better through the season, 60 might have been enough. Now look at our squad and honestly attribute the amount of goals they can be expected to get (using their track records). I think you will be well short of 60. 

We have three weeks to save our season. Which with some bad luck with injuries could even be a disaster.
    Should have listened to me 6 weeks ago. It's been in the pipeline but too many were calling me a bedwetter & to trust in the process.
  • Scoham said:
    So that's a No then to anyone signing before the weekend.

Even more pleased I decided to swerve the Oxford match. 
  • Scoham said:
    The first quote sounds to me like...." I have no choice but to play the U23's so I have to say they are good enough"

More bollox than a Political Party broadcast. 
    He might actually believe it and be doing it. I won't moan about playing youngsters 
  • I said I'd wait until September before saying what needs to be said. (which has been adequately addressed already. 

These silly cup games are the games where you should really be scoring for fun. And hopefully one of the debutants makes a name for himself. This result bore the hallmarks of a Phil Parkinson side of yesteryear. It IS too early to say on many aspects. I think Albie is a good player in a mediocre squad. Put him in, say, Peterborough's side last season and he would have contributed assists and goals etc (I can't say that about the rest of the current midfield)  He will improve I have no doubt. I have no such confidence (ATM) in Clare but it is far too early. 

The whole Adkins/Sandgaard "...giving youth a chance and building for the longterm vision" (aka "not going to buy anyone")  is getting a tad boring.  

I really hope Gallen has half a dozen gems lined up. (But surely everyone else is chasing them and if Ipswich are ... They will get them) I have no confidence in our current front line. And minimal confidence in our midfield. 
  • I didn't see the match, so perhaps can avoid getting so depressed that I may otherwise be. I can't believe that I am a glass half full person today. 

How many times do we have a good cup performance? We should be used to it as it was ever thus in my lifetime whoever the players or manager may be, we are cursed.

Given the players currently available, I'm happy for fringe players to get a run out, it gives them more experience, better now than in a league match.

Falling so woefully short in certain areas helps to concentrate the minds of our transfer decision makers while the window is still open. 
  • kentred2 said:
    Last night is a classic example of why you need to take cup games seriously. Winning football matches is what matters. The club is now surrounded by negativity by gifting the match to Wimbledon.
    Just to be clear, Wimbledon played a team largely of kids as well. They just performed better as a team. 
  • I wonder what's changed in football where us and other lower league teams couldn't give a toss about a cup run.
  • Chunes said:
    I wonder what's changed in football where us and other lower league teams couldn't give a toss about a cup run.
    The lure of bigger money higher up the divisional pyramid means league status is now considered more important than silverware ….money money money