Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Being that I can remember the ‘66 final, I thought I tell a little story just to show how things have progressed. I was 13 sitting in front of a small black and shite tele, the whole family was there, even my mum, who had never seen a game of football in her life and never saw a second. Uncle, aunts, Nan’s, everyone, other than my brother, myself and my father all had no idea what they were watching. Anyway kick off, England score everyone goes mad, about a minute later England score again, same result, hugging kissing (probably the only time my nan kissed me), you could hear the cheering up and down the road, it was the first ever action replay, fooled everyone. 
    That's a lovely story :-) 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Being that I can remember the ‘66 final, I thought I tell a little story just to show how things have progressed. I was 13 sitting in front of a small black and shite tele, the whole family was there, even my mum, who had never seen a game of football in her life and never saw a second. Uncle, aunts, Nan’s, everyone, other than my brother, myself and my father all had no idea what they were watching. Anyway kick off, England score everyone goes mad, about a minute later England score again, same result, hugging kissing (probably the only time my nan kissed me), you could hear the cheering up and down the road, it was the first ever action replay, fooled everyone. 
    Haha, that’s a great story! Didn’t realise it was the first time they had used replays. 
    It was the first I remember and it fooled so many people, it was also the time delay between the goal and the replay. I think they even had to announce it in true BBC style of the time. I can’t remember them replaying the German 1st goal,
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Haha, that’s a great story! Didn’t realise it was the first time they had used replays. 
    It was the first I remember and it fooled so many people, it was also the time delay between the goal and the replay. I think they even had to announce it in true BBC style of the time. I can’t remember them replaying the German 1st goal,
    I just read this out to my Hubby, had him in stitches, brilliant 😂😂👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’ve found it hard to focus on anything today whatsoever.

Went out for lunch with the missus, and the waiter asked for my order and I had absolutely nothing to say to him. Had spent about 5 minutes just staring a hole through the menu.
    Haha also can’t focus. Several hours ago I sent a message to mates saying “see you down the pub in 24 hours”, turns out I actually only sent it an hour ago. Time is going slowly! 
  • Options
    I can see the game being tight and personally feel we must score first. If Italy score first I feel we will struggle.

Hope I am completely wrong though and we smash them 3-0
  • Options
    Great quote by Andrea Barzagli the former Italian and Juventus defender who played alongside Chiellini and Bonucci.

"Training with Chiellini is like being put in a cage with a gorilla and you have to steal his food'

Kane and Sterling need to forage against the 36 year old Chiellini and 34 year old Bonucci.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I like the front page of the National, it's a bit of fun.
    C’mon, you know no one is allowed to have fun anymore. 
    Does seem that way but equally bad on both sides. Plenty moan the Scots are supporting someone else, equally we laugh our heads off whenever they lose. We still sing the Scots get battered yet we drew 0-0. I'm all for the banter but don't moan when the other side does it as well. Bit of fun and rivalry is all a part of the rich tapestry of football, don't let it get to you when we lose and they celebrate equally feel free to rub some noses in it whenever we win a big game. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I like the front page of the National, it's a bit of fun.
    C’mon, you know no one is allowed to have fun anymore. 
    Does seem that way but equally bad on both sides. Plenty moan the Scots are supporting someone else, equally we laugh our heads off whenever they lose. We still sing the Scots get battered yet we drew 0-0. I'm all for the banter but don't moan when the other side does it as well. Bit of fun and rivalry is all a part of the rich tapestry of football, don't let it get to you when we lose and they celebrate equally feel free to rub some noses in it whenever we win a big game. 
    Absolutely agree with you. And after we win tomorrow night I shall have a large single malt, just to include the Scots in the country’s celebrations.
  • Options
    Seems so long ago bit I'm trying to remember what chances we had against Scotland as we pretty poor that day.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Great quote by Andrea Barzagli the former Italian and Juventus defender who played alongside Chiellini and Bonucci.

"Training with Chiellini is like being put in a cage with a gorilla and you have to steal his food'

Kane and Sterling need to forage against the 36 year old Chiellini and 34 year old Bonucci.
    I like Chiellini but all this media talk of him being like a roman warrior is getting a bit boring.
    If Kane was playing for Spain the other night, Italy would of been knocked out.
    And his gamesmanship with Jordi Alba in the tunnel, and for the coin tosses was a joke - acting like he was his best mate….Alba looked really uncomfortable with it.  Quality player though - saw him in the first game back at Wembley (u21 3-3 draw) and you could see how good he was going to be.  Still, I’d like to see him in a race with Kyle Walker. 
  • Options
    Seems so long ago bit I'm trying to remember what chances we had against Scotland as we pretty poor that day.
    Remember someone hitting the post, thats about it

Hard to think that Ukraine had better opportunities overall than Denmark against us!!
  • Options

I like Chiellini but all this media talk of him being like a roman warrior is getting a bit boring.
    If Kane was playing for Spain the other night, Italy would of been knocked out.
    And his gamesmanship with Jordi Alba in the tunnel, and for the coin tosses was a joke - acting like he was his best mate….Alba looked really uncomfortable with it.  Quality player though - saw him in the first game back at Wembley (u21 3-3 draw) and you could see how good he was going to be.  Still, I’d like to see him in a race with Kyle Walker. 
    I don't mind the gamesmanship, Alba's face was hilarious,  and he does come across as a pretty good fella.
    But it's more the media in this country making him out to be the the best defender in the world all of a sudden.
    Imagine if Southgate played a 35yr old centre back.

• Options

Stones hit post from free header for one 
  • Options

Hard to think that Ukraine had better opportunities overall than Denmark against us!!
    Yeh I still struggle with this xg.
    Ukraine did have a spell before half time where Pickford made a save maybe 2?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Stones hit post from free header for one 
    Mount just after half time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We must have all been drunk, nobody remembers
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Don’t look at xG then, look at shots split between inside and outside of the box. Logically shots inside the box have more chance of going in.

Ukraine had three shots inside the box, Denmark had one.

England had eight shots inside the box against Ukraine and 15 against Denmark.
  • Options

Don’t look at xG then, look at shots split between inside and outside of the box. Logically shots inside the box have more chance of going in.

Ukraine had three shots inside the box, Denmark had one.

England had eight shots inside the box against Ukraine and 15 against Denmark.
    Basically what your saying and xG says is we deserve to be in the final🙂
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    34%  England win in 90 mins 
    22% Italy win in 90 mins
    20% England win in ET 
    10% Italy win in ET
    8%England win on pens 
    6% Italy win on pens 

sick sick night throwing up for everyone 
  • Options
    34%  England win in 90 mins 
    22% Italy win in 90 mins
    20% England win in ET 
    10% Italy win in ET
    8%England win on pens 
    6% Italy win on pens 

sick sick night throwing up for everyone 
    I'm confident me and you will be online at the same time throughout the night, you routinely slopping out and me nervously shitting every hour on the hour 
  • Options
    Play to our potential. Dont fool for their antics. Keep 11 players on the pitch. We have too much pace, creativity and guile for them. 3-1 England no worries.

If they manage to con the ref and we lose a player 2-1 to them
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    One more sleep:

I have to visualize England winning the Trophy and I'm struggling but there is no reason why we can't IF we take calculated risks at getting at their aging defence. I have stated since day one that Italy would win But now I want to find reasons why they won't. Can we get at Emerson who has played about 6 games in the last year ? 
    • England are the 13th different nation to feature in a European Championship final. Just three of the previous 12 lost their first-ever final in the competition.
    • England have won 15 of their past 17 matches at Wembley in all competitions (D1 L1), scoring 46 goals and conceding just five in this run.
    • Harry Kane has been directly involved in 28 goals in his past 27 appearances for England in all competitions (19 goals, 9 assists). One more goal will see him become England's outright highest goalscorer at major tournaments with 11 - a record he currently shares on 10 with Gary Lineker.
  • Options
    The average age of the England squad is 25 and this is the youngest and I believe the happiest squad  because of the success of Gareth Southgate in creating a club environment and St George's being a good venue with so many facilities at the Burton site.

I hope Foden is fit because his first touch is magic with that wand of a left foot. If not then we still have options. Definitely 50/50.