Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Jessie said:
    Due to time differences I haven't watched as many England games as I wanted to. I watched the replay of the Denmark game last night just to have a clearer idea of how good the team was. I always supported England in tournaments but putting my bias aside, I think the game could've gone either way if not for the penalty (which I don't think should be given sorry ;) )

But! This is without a doubt the best England team I've seen for years. I like young players because they're hungrier and have more energy. The fitness level of this team is incredible and I always think that's one of the most important factors in football.

And a massive extra reason for wanting England to win is Sir Chris Powell who is one of the coaches!

Respect to @Stu_of_Kunming for flying over a thousand miles to watch the game on TV. I probably will wake up around 3am even without the alarm clock like I often do before a midnight/early morning game I care for.

COME ON ENGLAND!!! Fingers crossed....
    And when you go in to work on Monday looking like death warmed up, how many of your fellow workers will understand why?
  • Options
    If we win I expect Johnson to call an election to try to get another five years from the glow of happiness around the country (except Scotland, of course).
    Blucher said:
    If we win I expect Johnson to call an election to try to get another five years from the glow of happiness around the country (except Scotland, of course).
    Pass the sick bowl…

https://mobile.twitter.com/garyekins/status/1413579512508559363
    Bloody hell guys, this is a special day, maybe we can leave the Johnson bashing for another thread! 
  • Options
    Play the game not the occasion, cmon England!!

Going to to do a 10k run, and spend the day cleaning the house to take my mind off of what’s happening tonight.
    If you finish early, you can come do ours.
  • Options
    right, its already a fair while since the sun (what sun) passed the yard arm. Time to get the beers out. 
  • Options
    Just supposing England are 3-0 up, two minutes of normal time to go and only 2 subs used. Would you see Southgate giving a few players who haven't played in the tournament so far a few minutes?

Would that be too risky? 
    Or is he not that nice?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I'm one of the relative few on here that saw and remember the 1966 World Cup Final. I watched it on a small black and white telly in my aunt's place in Hither Green. I was two days short of my 11th birthday. I knew the World Cup was big but I had no real understanding of just how big, or of England's place then in the international football pecking order. I'd already chalked up 5 years as a Charlton supporter, going with my Dad, and I knew that the England team were Gods, way above the humble level of my beloved reds. But I had no idea we could win the World Cup, or what it really meant. Nor, when it happened, did I ever think it would be the last time England would win a major tournament for at least 55 years, maybe never again in my lifetime. I remember very clearly going into the Mexico World Cup in 1970 in the clear expectation that we would win it again, and the numb disbelief when West Germany recovered from a 0-2 deficit to beat us 3-2 in the quarter final.

Now, less than a month off my 66th birthday, here we are (nearly - it's the Euros this time) again. Instead of being at my aunt's place I'll be at home but my wife has invited her sister round to watch it with us*. Instead of the little black and white telly I'll be watching it on a big, 4k, LED telly. I understand how big this is - for the whole nation. And I understand that England, the perennial under-performers, are a team of huge potential but not yet proven top level winners. I understand that this MAY be the last time I ever see MY England win a major tournament.

So it's fair to say this final matters is something of an understatement. It's not "only a game". I can't quite buy in to the late, great Bill Shankly's view that "some people think football is a matter of life and death........ I can assure them it is much more serious than that" - but today it comes bloody close. 

Come on England. For the nation. For all those fans who never got to see us win something again (or ever). For that little 10 year old boy.

* By the way, I have established 4 absolute rules for the aforementioned wife and sister in law:

1. No jibber jabber.
    2. No asking silly questions like "how many points is it now?"
    3. Don't talk to me unless i speak to you first
    4. All restrictions on swearing suspended for the day.
    Very good of you to give them licence to swear their heads off.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Pass the sick bowl…

https://mobile.twitter.com/garyekins/status/1413579512508559363
    Bloody hell guys, this is a special day, maybe we can leave the Johnson bashing for another thread! 
    I wasn't bashing him (although I'd like to) - the story, false though it is, is that Wilson did the same on the back of the 1966 win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Despite my head saying Italy since the first ball was kicked. My heart is finding ways to believe England can win so another 3 reasons:

My daughter who is a sports model among other show business jobs got 5 days work when her agent put her forward to be Skillzy the Euro Mascot. while holding the trophy  she visualised Harry Kane holding the trophy aloft. She has worked at Spurs.

My son just saw Southgate's best mate Andy Woodman when he went down the local barber's, Andy is totally bald now, but was chatting to the staff in passing who used to cut his hair back in the day. He knows my son because Freddie went to the same school, and he gave a big thumbs up and Andy will have no trouble getting a ticket today !

I saw Gareth Southgate walking past the Fairfield's hall just after he made his debut for Palace and had no idea who he was but I thought he looked like a sportsman plus I saw Ian Wright 5 minutes before. I just felt he was going to be famous or infamous. Surely he can be known for not only doing a Pizza advert !

That's the best I can do, so now for a couple hours work in the garden before the tennis.
  • Options
    Quietly confident 🙈 3-0! Predicted the last two games correctly!
  • Options
    On my home from a stag in Leeds, and the hangover is the only thing keeping the nerves at bay. Confident of an England win, less confident that I'll have bounced back by the time I'm due in the pub later.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Due to time differences I haven't watched as many England games as I wanted to. I watched the replay of the Denmark game last night just to have a clearer idea of how good the team was. I always supported England in tournaments but putting my bias aside, I think the game could've gone either way if not for the penalty (which I don't think should be given sorry ;) )

But! This is without a doubt the best England team I've seen for years. I like young players because they're hungrier and have more energy. The fitness level of this team is incredible and I always think that's one of the most important factors in football.

And a massive extra reason for wanting England to win is Sir Chris Powell who is one of the coaches!

Respect to @Stu_of_Kunming for flying over a thousand miles to watch the game on TV. I probably will wake up around 3am even without the alarm clock like I often do before a midnight/early morning game I care for.

COME ON ENGLAND!!! Fingers crossed....
    And when you go in to work on Monday looking like death warmed up, how many of your fellow workers will understand why?
     :D

I'll try my best to fight off sleepness Monday morning and get as much sleep as possible at noon.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    From the stuff I’m seeing online I don’t think half the country will see the final. Will be interesting how many people can hack an 8 hour session.

London is going to be some scene later, win or lose.
    A million times everything you have said. There are going to be absolute scenes later regardless of the result. 
  • Options
    It could be an Italian win ?

But hopefully Novak DJokovic wins his 20th slam as i didn't get the bet on Berrettini at 22/1 last week before he won Queens. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    From the stuff I’m seeing online I don’t think half the country will see the final. Will be interesting how many people can hack an 8 hour session.

London is going to be some scene later, win or lose.

Judging by a certain Concrete dystopian town which got damaged by young estate agents, accountants and builders and all sorts when a one Nil lead against France became a 2-1 defeat in a few minutes after a Stevie G pass back and from memory Calamity James mistake it will be better for the local environment if we win.

Still remember the shock on their faces when they received short prison sentences despite most never having been in trouble before.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

It's a funny game where the 4-2-3-1 is actually the better defensive formation. You can stick Mount on Jorginho the entire game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would guess that England are probably the last team that Italy would have wanted to play in the final. Italy have a great team, you don’t go a bazillion matches without losing if you don’t, and their defence is solid. But they know their big weak point is the lack of pace they have in defence and that’s where England can really hurt them. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm guessing that there will be a lot of 'new' football fans watching tonight ... you know, people who have never taken an interest in football before, but who now think it's cool.

Do we need to help them along by answering some of the questions that they will inevitably ask?

"VAR?  Well ... it's a new technology designed to bring controversy into an otherwise boring match.  VAR stands for 'Verified additional ratings' and allows the experts in the studio to engage in light-hearted banter (aka 'bants') as they debate the rights and wrongs of the incompetent referee."

"Off camera, of course, the experts will punch each other and remind themselves of the trophies they have won." 

• Options
    It's gonna be tough Italy's 33 game unbeaten run is up there with Huddersfield.
    And we all know what happened to that run…
    Exactly- Chris Powell put a stop to it. Master stroke from Southgate.
  • Options
    Just supposing England are 3-0 up, two minutes of normal time to go and only 2 subs used. Would you see Southgate giving a few players who haven't played in the tournament so far a few minutes?

Would that be too risky? 
    Or is he not that nice?
    You mean like sticking Ramsdale and Johnstone up front?!?! Yeah let’s do it. 
  • Options

Would that be too risky? 
    Or is he not that nice?
    No - in that scenario the players who have got us there deserve to be on the pitch when the greatest moment of the career comes around 
  • Options
    The only player I can see him bringing on, just so he gets on, is Henderson.

Although what ever the circumstances he would probably bring him on anyway. 
  • Options

Would that be too risky? 
    Or is he not that nice?
    No - in that scenario the players who have got us there deserve to be on the pitch when the greatest moment of the career comes around 
    It was a joke.