Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Great quote by Andrea Barzagli the former Italian and Juventus defender who played alongside Chiellini and Bonucci.

"Training with Chiellini is like being put in a cage with a gorilla and you have to steal his food'

Kane and Sterling need to forage against the 36 year old Chiellini and 34 year old Bonucci.
    I like Chiellini but all this media talk of him being like a roman warrior is getting a bit boring.
    If Kane was playing for Spain the other night, Italy would of been knocked out.

That's why I preferred this quote about him being a gorilla by an ex team mate not the Roman warrior.

Plus is this just kidology or are the Italians fearful of This England side ? They never have been before.

Quote from the Italian captain:
    "England's bench could have made it to the final as they have extraordinary players"

Seems like an OTT statement but...

Does he honestly think England could win the Euros with a centre back partnership of Coady and Mings and Ramsdale in goal? Absolute nonsense from him. Play the game instead of mind games. I wonder how long it will take for him to roll around the floor after Kane brush’s him aside?
    Well there were lifers who though "what ever team Southgate picks the bench would beat it".  So some obviously agree.

England were "soft" for such a long time.  Flat track bullies who would stroll through qualifying and then fold at the first serious challenge. 

I genuinely feel the Italian's are scared of us and rightfully so.  They aren't alone. 

• Options
    We will either lose 2-1 to a goal on the counter and Italy spend the last minutes of the game throwing themselves to the floor/murdering our pacy players (I'm looking at you two, Chiellini and Bonucci, who both wouldn't look out of place in a Mafioso documentary) 

Or...

We'll redeem ourselves in the ultimate way, winning in a dramatic penalty shootout with Belotti missing the final penalty
  • Options
    Think it'll be won in extra time. 

Either it'll be a replay of the Denmark game and England win out due to fitness. 

Or England get more nervous as the game goes on and Italy score after a mistake from a defender/Pickford. 
  • Options
    This is going to be a more comfortable win for England than people are willing to predict because of the 55 years of not winning. 
  • Options
    It's gonna be tough Italy's 33 game unbeaten run is up there with Huddersfield.
    And we all know what happened to that run…
  • Options
    And we all know what happened to that run…
    Where’s Hogan Ephraim when you need him?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    We will either lose 2-1 to a goal on the counter and Italy spend the last minutes of the game throwing themselves to the floor/murdering our pacy players (I'm looking at you two, Chiellini and Bonucci, who both wouldn't look out of place in a Mafioso documentary) 

Or...

We'll redeem ourselves in the ultimate way, winning in a dramatic penalty shootout with Belotti missing the final penalty
    I've got a feeling and I hope I'm right.
    If we are a goal up with 15 minutes to go it wont take a lot for our players to go down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can confirm we are in the final tonight because it's written on my wall chart.

In the world Cup 2018 there were no teams written down for the final.

I woke up this morning with butterflies; serves me right for falling asleep at 1.30am on the sofa with the light on and the back door open.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

If only England had a Danny Green to end that run.

*Danny is at Concord Rangers (Canvey Island)  he was on the bench when I saw them play against Whyteleafe in the FA cup last season.
  • Options

The replies on twitter are pretty funny. The amount of outrage over a bit of fun. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I was talking to a couple of Scots last night that live in London. Both of them want England to win. 
  • Options
    The Boy From Brent is gonna be red hot tonight. They won’t be able to handle him.
  • Options
    The central midfield defensive partnership of Rice and Phillips has been at the heart of England’s progress, both in terms of protecting our back line and the general cohesiveness of the side. They will have to be at it today, as the Italians break with real pace. I think that Walker’s speed and powers of recovery will also be important, as they were in the semi-final, although England’s defence has exceeded all expectations (certainly mine).

A big decision for Southgate as to whether he keeps the same formation with Mason Mount in midfield or switches to wing backs. He and his staff have got everything right so far and there’s no reason to think they won’t do so tonight.

For all their experience, Chiellini and Bonucci won’t relish facing the pace and verve of Sterling and Saka (if he starts) and we have some very potent weapons on the bench, even if Foden isn’t fit.

Italy will be a tough nut to crack but all long unbeaten runs have to come to an end. They have the greater experience and pedigree as a football nation but I would not underestimate the importance of home advantage. As Bob Paisley once said, I’ve never known a supporter to score a goal, but the Wembley crowd is bound to inspire our players.
  • Options
    Hearing Trippier in for Saka 
    penalties it is then 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on England, let's win this.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VY3e8bphFo

England's heroes | Through the eyes of Charlton

• Options
    Addickted said:
    That is ridiculous. Or is it first come first served for the best seats? 
  • Options
    If we win I expect Johnson to call an election to try to get another five years from the glow of happiness around the country (except Scotland, of course).
  • Options
    Assuming it’s Trippier for Saka that’d be a 352?

343 in that case would put Mount wide I guess? 

Interesting that we’re going for the 3
  • Options
    If we win I expect Johnson to call an election to try to get another five years from the glow of happiness around the country (except Scotland, of course).
    Pass the sick bowl…

https://mobile.twitter.com/garyekins/status/1413579512508559363
  • Options

England (@England) Tweeted: Wow… what a send-off! 😍

Amazing scenes as the #ThreeLions depart St. George’s Park for the final time. https://t.co/FU9Z3417nC
    The 'wow's and 'look at that's are quite touching.  It's good to hear they aren't blasé about it, but let's hope they don't get overwhelmed by the occasion.