Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Italy - THE FINAL - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Shit! Is it this weekend ?
  • Options
    Regardless of the result tomorrow, this squad has brought football home. 
  • Options
    Just hope the players are inspired being roared on by the fans who’ve put the miles in over the years like Ed Sheeren, Piers Morgan, Dua Lipa and Marvin & Rochelle Humes 
    Don’t forget James Corden (that’s 3 seats taken up).
  • Options
    I am as sick as a dog today.
    I will be totally unreasonable by tomorrow.

C’mon England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 
    Most woman are anyway….(Tin hat on)
  • Options
    Hope the referee is stronger than the semi final. 
    Sterling and Saka to get the ageing defenders onto yellow cards early then run and run at them. 

As john boy said they would much rather man mark Kane rather than have him dropping deep creating  space for the others to run into. 
  • Options
    We're going to run them ragged. But I think it will be a tight scoreline, maybe 2 1 but anything could happen really
  • Options
    Italy were better in the group stage than they’ve been in the knockout stage. They’ve not kept a clean sheet since the group games. We’ll get chances.
  • Options
    Henderson for Phillps for me.
  • Options
    The longer the game goes on with the scores level (or us in front) the more likely we are to win IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Madness this!

I have a sneaky feeling Henderson may start.
    Southgate clearly isn't afraid of making big decisions, but it would probably be his biggest yet to leave out Phillips (i'm assuming he won't drop Rice) after starting him in every game.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for this, have a flight at 8:30am to Shanghai to watch the game in a sports bar with an 1,800ish capacity, expecting 70% or so to be English. 

The mrs thinks I’m mental to be flying 4 hours each way to watch on TV, she just doesn’t understand that It’s Coming Home! 

3-1 England AET and productivity levels to flatline in England for at least a week! 
    Superb mate. Glad you’ll be able to watch it with a decent amount of people. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Very confident. I think this England side will be underestimated by Italy who seem to have almost got worse as the tournament has progressed. 

3-1 England
  • Options
    Getting nerves already here ! 
    Just read a really good article on Sterling on BBC Sport website and also another from Kane. This group of players seem really grounded and I think they will make sure they dont let this slip away.
    What is frightening about England for the 1st time in history the supply chain of players is terrifying. This squad would potentially peak in 2026 but when you look at the players on the fringe or at home none of the current squad could count as a given that they will be in the team then. Madness 
  • Options
    Can't fucking wait
  • Options
    Read papers today way over the top with this final could well end in tears’, hope I’m wrong .
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Unless Italy blow us away in the first half I think we've got a very good chance. England have proved that they've got the skill, endurance, mental fortitude and tactical nous to beat anyone on their day.
    Probably the most pleasing thing for me during this tournament has been watching England getting stronger at the end of games, that's not something I can't ever remember seeing from them before and it gives me more hope than anything else.

2-1 England.
  • Options
    Madness this!

I have a sneaky feeling Henderson may start.
    Southgate clearly isn't afraid of making big decisions, but it would probably be his biggest yet to leave out Phillips (i'm assuming he won't drop Rice) after starting him in every game.
    I don’t think can leave Phillips out. He’s much more mobile than Henderson. I would not be at all surprised that if we are ahead with 25 mins left, to see Rice, Phillips and Henderson on the pitch at the same time. I think if anybody misses out it will be Saka. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Foden was absent from training today

Be a shame if he misses out as he was immense when he came on against Denmark

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welly said:
    Read papers today way over the top with this final could well end in tears’, hope I’m wrong .
    It’s always the way - we should just embrace it.  
  • Options
    Welly said:
    It’s media and journalists dream to be writing about an event like this. Let them be the ones going over the top etc. Even the most confident of England fans know tomorrow is a tough game and even though Italy seem to have dropped a bit since group games, they’ll put us under a lot of pressure. 
  • Options
    Foden was absent from training today

Be a shame if he misses out as he was immense when he came on against Denmark

Minor knock surely means he'll be ok to come on as a sub if need be. 

I'd imagine these players would probably need a broken leg to make them miss out.
  • Options
    Hopefully he’s fit because he’s massive if we’re chasing a game.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Front page of a Scottish paper yesterday, with Mancini as brave heart.
  • Options
    Is that front-page real!?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Is that front-page real!?
    Let’s hope so - be interested to see what the headline is on Monday morning if we win. 
  • Options
    Up until Italy played Spain I thought they were most likely winners of the tournament, however Spain played them of the pitch and if Spain had a decent striker I am confident would have won.

So my assessment is Italy are a hard team to beat but they are not a team to fear and I think our pace can unlock their defence. We do need to cut out these individual slip ups we have had in some of the matches.  

I saw us win the world cup & now I think there is a chance I will see us win the European Championship.