Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cristiano Ronaldo Impossible to Ignore

Comments

• Options
    One of the two greatest footballers in the history of the sport. Someone of that profile will always provoke debate. No idea if he’s naughty or nice but he’s been a phenomenal footballer. I’m happy to leave it at that really. 
    The other one's Clare right?
  • Options
    Just my opinion but having watched him a lot in the last 18 months he appears to have become obsessed with stats ie scoring as often as possible, to the detriment of the team.

On so many occasions he is shooting from ridiculous angles and distances when quite often team mates are in better positions, including goal scoring ones. 

It is all about finishing with more personal achievements than Messi. The problem for him is that Messi is a couple of years younger. 

As United have always been my second team I was dismayed when they signed him and delighted he has now left them. 
  • Options
    He’s undermining his legacy a bit now. 
  • Options
    The question now is will he retire from international football or will he be eyeing up the fact they have Luxembourg and Liechtenstein in their euro qualifying group.
  • Options
    He’s no spring chicken so he’s bound to be declining but just last season he scored more Premier League goals than Harry Kane and only Salah and Son scored more. 
  • Options

Ronaldo’s size of ego, overlaid with temper tantrums - by age.
  • Options
    Just seen that with his appearances at the world cup, Ronaldo now has the most appearances in football of any outfield player, currently at 1181.

The 4 ahead of him being goalkeepers who all played well into their 40s. He still needs another 220 games though to overtake Peter Shilton who tops the list.
  • Options
    Just seen that with his appearances at the world cup, Ronaldo now has the most appearances in football of any outfield player, currently at 1181.

The 4 ahead of him being goalkeepers who all played well into their 40s. He still needs another 220 games though to overtake Peter Shilton who tops the list.

Hopefully Messi doesn't retire for another 5 years and overtakes Ronaldo appearances by a country mile 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ronaldo ,hard to ignore , but you have to try 
  • Options
    Ronaldo ,hard to ignore , but you have to try 
    I easily ignore his off field antics. I'll always remember his on field antics. 

Top 30 Ronaldo Wink GIFs  Find the best GIF on Gfycat
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Hopefully Messi doesn't retire for another 5 years and overtakes Ronaldo appearances by a country mile 
    Given that Ronaldo has expressed a desire to play until he is 40, i can't see Messi getting anywhere near.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    It’s poetic that Ronaldo’s career is seemingly slumping just as Messi single-handedly wins the very same World Cup.  I think that might go some way to answering the GOAT arguments
    Been a tough year for Ronaldo. 
    The interview with piers and his world cup have been a complete disaster. 

Never mind. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    It’s poetic that Ronaldo’s career is seemingly slumping just as Messi single-handedly wins the very same World Cup.  I think that might go some way to answering the GOAT arguments
    Or perhaps that one is born in Argentina and one is born in Portugal?

Alvarez is the star coming out of this World Cup. 
  • Options
    Signs for Al Nassr until 2025.  177 million pounds per year, the biggest football salary in history.

• Options
    Signs for Al Nassr until 2025.  177 million pounds per year, the biggest football salary in history.

Sad way to end a fantastic career, playing in the arse end of nowhere just for money when he is already worth £500m for Christ’s sake! Definitely tarnishes his legacy imo. I can’t see Messi doing the same.
  • Options
    Fair play to him, he's had an amazing career and will now finish up in an easy league scoring loads of goals and earning an absolute fortune. This is a league where Gomis and Ighalo score loads of goals.

Obviously it's the end of his top level career, but people didn't criticise the likes of Xavi, Desailly, Guardiola, Batistuta who ended their careers in the middle east. Ronaldo isn't the first and definitely won't be the last.
  • Options
    Fair play to him, he's had an amazing career and will now finish up in an easy league scoring loads of goals and earning an absolute fortune. This is a league where Gomis and Ighalo score loads of goals.

Obviously it's the end of his top level career, but people didn't criticise the likes of Xavi, Desailly, Guardiola, Batistuta who ended their careers in the middle east. Ronaldo isn't the first and definitely won't be the last.
    Difference is... Cristiano Ronaldo had the opportunity to end his career at a big club like Man Utd, just as a squad player... He didn't need to follow those others to the Middle East, but couldn't keep his ego under control, now no one else wants him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news is he has a soft spot for Charlton so can buy us in a week if he wanted, ground included
  • Options

That interview with Piers Morgan just seems all that more cringe now. 

I think people are to caught up in the whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate, they forget to appreciate just what a brilliant player Ronaldo is/was.

• Options
    Definitely makes himself difficult to ignore:

“For me, it’s not the end of my career to come to South Africa.”
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Swisdom said:
    Or perhaps that one is born in Argentina and one is born in Portugal?

Alvarez is the star coming out of this World Cup. 
    Portugal played better without Ronaldo. We’ll never know for certain but I’m confident in saying that Argentina couldn’t have won the WC without Messi.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Don't get this obsessive need to compare the two, or decide that Ronaldo is suddenly worse because Messi won the World Cup.

If Kolo Muani scored that last chance for France rather than Martinez saving it, Messi wouldn't have been any worse.

Ronaldo not doing well at a World Cup at 37 while Messi does at 35 doesn't make Ronaldo's career worse than Messi's.

Portugal were better without Ronaldo at the World Cup, but they've won their only two trophies ever with him in the team, whereas Argentina did well without Messi too....

(Messi is better).

• Options
    Such a modest fellow.

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Sad way to end a fantastic career, playing in the arse end of nowhere just for money when he is already worth £500m for Christ’s sake! Definitely tarnishes his legacy imo. I can’t see Messi doing the same.
      You're right Messi would never be so cynical...

(Tries to get away with millions of euros of unpaid taxes)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    meldrew66 said:
      You're right Messi would never be so cynical...

(Tries to get away with millions of euros of unpaid taxes)
    And potentially bankrupts Barcelona with his wage demands (that they were daft enough to agree).