Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cristiano Ronaldo Impossible to Ignore

Comments

• Options
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Messi is great player no doubt. 

Ronaldo though has done it in different leagues and even won silverware in a bang average Portugal side. To me, his overall game is better than Messi. 

Genuinely the best player of all time IMO. 
    Better than Maradona?
    Yeah very much so. 
    Have to disagree on that one.

Maradona did it on different continents and took an otherwise unexceptional Argentina to two World Cup finals. He may have been an even bigger cheat than Ronaldo but I’ve never seen Ronaldo score anything to match Maradona’s second goal against England in 1986.

Ronaldo has also benefitted from better protection from referees than players in 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.
    Bit of an unfair comparison as Ronaldo is a different type of player to Maradona and Messi.  Their best goals were that type of dribble, whereas Ronaldo's have been long range efforts, or maybe an overhead kick or that flicked backheel in Euro2016.

That's why it's so difficult in my opinion to say which is the better player - depends on which team they are in, which league etc too.  Messi suited that Barcelona team perfectly, Ronaldo maybe wouldn't have done as much but fitted say the United team he was in which as a team were good at quick counter attacks, for example.
  • Options
    For me when he retires he will slip from the memory pretty quickly. 
    Arguably the best player the world has ever seen, will slip from the memory pretty quickly?
    If that were true (obviously it isn't) then no footballer that's ever lived will be remembered.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Messi is great player no doubt. 

Ronaldo though has done it in different leagues and even won silverware in a bang average Portugal side. To me, his overall game is better than Messi. 

Genuinely the best player of all time IMO. 
    Better than Maradona?
    Yeah very much so. 
    Have to disagree on that one.

Maradona did it on different continents and took an otherwise unexceptional Argentina to two World Cup finals. He may have been an even bigger cheat than Ronaldo but I’ve never seen Ronaldo score anything to match Maradona’s second goal against England in 1986.

Ronaldo has also benefitted from better protection by referees than players in 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.
    Maradona had enough protection from our midfield, defence and keeper that day as it was. 
  • Options
    Ronaldo is now 9th on the all time list of football appearances (1,154).

7 of the 8 players above him are goalkeepers (2 are still playing), most of whom played way past their 40th birthday. Incredible longevity especially considering the level he's played at throughout his career.

Still needs another 240 games to get past Peter Shilton though!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ronaldo is now 9th on the all time list of football appearances (1,154).

7 of the 8 players above him are goalkeepers (2 are still playing), most of whom played way past their 40th birthday. Incredible longevity especially considering the level he's played at throughout his career.

Still needs another 240 games to get past Peter Shilton though!
    Who is the other non keeper?

Edit: Just Googled it, it's Tommy Hutchinson. 

Ronaldo should break his record for outfield players next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Has Ronaldo ever had a long time out injured? Can't recall it myself. If he hasn't that's a mix of good fortune and the incredible way in which he looks after himself. Bloke is an absolute machine.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Has Ronaldo ever had a long time out injured? Can't recall it myself. If he hasn't that's a mix of good fortune and the incredible way in which he looks after himself. Bloke is an absolute machine.
    Bring him in at Charlton, we'll soon change that.

If Wiki is to be believed, since joining Man Utd (his first spell) the maximum he's missed in a League season is 11-games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Ronaldo#Career_statistics

But TransferMarkt equally says his longest injury meant he was out for three months in 2008 with ankle surgery - But that was something he got sorted over the summer, and just kept him out until the October - That those also confirms that the longest amount of games that he's missed is eleven.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cristiano-ronaldo/verletzungen/spieler/8198
  • Options
    To play that many games at any level is amazing.

To do it at the level where you’re in the conversation as one of the greatest players of all time is absolutely outrageous.
  • Options
    I'm not going to create the typical Messi vs Ronaldo debate.

But instead just want point out what equally fantastic athletes they both are, and aren't just good at what they do

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lionel-messi/verletzungen/spieler/28003

Messi has been injured more often, but still the maximum amount of games he's missed is eighteen games

In total they've each missed: Messi (127-games) | Ronaldo (68-games)

Compare that with the next two talent: Haaland (36-games) | Mbappe (33-games) missed through injury
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know how Ronaldo stays in such good shape at his age. Both mentally and physically.

He is globally the most famous and respected athlete in the world. He has a big family and plenty of things going on in his personal life outside of football. Must be a busy individual.

How does he find the time, desire for it, motivation and commitment to carry on playing? I can't see him retiring anytime soon.

A heavy inspiration for a lot of people 
  • Options
     and the pair of them (Messi and Ronaldo) will have had units trying to kick lumps off em all their career ... crazy
  • Options
    He's been playing so long I can remember him playing against us when we were in the Premier League. Let that sink in!
  • Options
    I wonder if he’ll go and play in America next. 
  • Options
    I wonder if he’ll go and play in America next. 
    Now that would be a complete waste of talent! Just read he's scored 18 prem goals this year and a few people gave been saying he's looking a bit past it! He could play in England, Germany, Spain any of the top divisions and be class for the next 2 or 3 yrs easily. 
  • Options
    If I had a choice of watching Ronaldo, Messi, Pete, Eusebio or Cruyff, Tonaldo would come in fourth or fifth. Messi gets penalised because he’s a natural and doesn’t have to work as hard as Ronaldo? You’re having a laugh.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Messi has been unbelievable this season... Unbelievably bad for the greatest of all time.

Would always pick Ronaldo over Messi. He has more hunger and determination.

Never shyed away from a challenge and has played in Portugal, England, Spain & Italy. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Messi has been unbelievable this season... Unbelievably bad.

Would always pick Ronaldo over Messi. He has more hunger and determination.
    And has played in a proper league…..
  • Options
    Polish Pete any day of the week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    If I had a choice of watching Ronaldo, Messi, Pete, Eusebio or Cruyff, Tonaldo would come in fourth or fifth. Messi gets penalised because he’s a natural and doesn’t have to work as hard as Ronaldo? You’re having a laugh.
    I'd go for Pete 
    Tonaldo for me

• Options
    Ronaldo ~ the best player ever?? 
    Perhaps try there was a period in his career when he was indeed the best. But after he piled on the pounds, got dropped from the Brazil National team and injuries ... He was largely forgotten. ("Largely" being the operative word) 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I don't know how Ronaldo stays in such good shape at his age. Both mentally and physically.

He is globally the most famous and respected athlete in the world. He has a big family and plenty of things going on in his personal life outside of football. Must be a busy individual.

How does he find the time, desire for it, motivation and commitment to carry on playing? I can't see him retiring anytime soon.

A heavy inspiration for a lot of people 
    It has to be your mindset. He doesn't drink alcohol or fizzy drinks, he doesn't have sugar, he eats a lot of fish and fruit. Extremely boring of course, and most people would struggle to do that diet for just a few weeks. He's basically done that for 20 years, so it's only something you can do if you're insanely dedicated.

He's also renowned at any club he's ever been at for being the best trainer. First to arrive, last to leave. Plenty of stories about him also going to the gym AFTER games to workout.

I've always thought that Messi just had an incredible natural talent, but Ronaldo whilst of course talented, got to where he did through hard work.
  • Options
    I think Messi at his best was the best ever, Ronaldo has maintained a higher standard for longer however. Both amazing players and it will be a long time before we see anyone on their level again, so we should just enjoy them both for the remaining time they have in their careers. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think Messi at his best was the best ever, Ronaldo has maintained a higher standard for longer however. Both amazing players and it will be a long time before we see anyone on their level again, so we should just enjoy them both for the remaining time they have in their careers. 
    Wont be surprised if Haaland and Mbappe get similar scoring records.

But I dont see either of them impacting games the same way that Messi / Ronaldo have done.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    se9addick said:
    Wont be surprised if Haaland and Mbappe get similar scoring records.

But I dont see either of them impacting games the same way that Messi / Ronaldo have done.
    Yeah I think both Haaland & Mbappe are fantastic players already and are going to go on and be amazing. Of the current generation (although at the other end of it) I love Lewandowski too, but I would be pleasantly astonished if anyone that we are aware of today reaches Messi/Ronaldo standards. 

It’s why I don’t get the weird Messi v Ronaldo rivalry thing that you see on social media - can’t we just enjoy the privilege of seeing so much of the two greatest players in the world? People talk about the likes of Pele and Maradona, but (the former particularly), how much would your average European fan have actually seen of Pele? Unless you happened to be a Santos season ticket holder it would probably be a few matches every four years, maybe you would get to see him in an exhibition match if Santos were touring or Brazil were playing a friendly. Pele could have gone seasons without being great and most of the world would have no real idea. Messi and Ronaldo have had their every kick of the ball for club and country broadcast around the world since the start of their careers and have been amazing almost that entire time. It’s not necessarily that they’re the greatest ever, that’s impossible to answer, but there is just far more evidence of their greatness than any other players. 
  • Options
    Ronald the best player ever…tut tut tut…Dick Tydeman was the best player ever!
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Ronald the best player ever…tut tut tut…Dick Tydeman was the best player ever!

Best by name!
  • Options
    As much as I used to hate Cronaldo you have to salute his longevity.  To play at that. Level for as long as he has is staggering.  Throw in all the charity stuff he does too and I must admit to having a bit of a man crush on him .

he is without any doubt worthy of being in the conversation of being one of the best of all time.
  • Options
    Anyone would think he's trying to engineer a move but make it sound like he's being forced out. Whatever is happening, he really does hate not being the centre of attention.