Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

1115116117118119121»

Comments

• Options
    Too late ;) Thanks Large.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Too late ;) Thanks Mickey Sparrowhawk.
    Oops
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    There is something really special about him scoring a classy goal as our last of a woeful season.
    It mirrored the class of the man.
    As others have said, the polar opposite of Lyle Taylor. 
    Dobbo put it all on the line, including his young family’s future, to help save Charlton from possible relegation to League 2.
    Why? Because he was contracted to do so. 
    A proper footballer and more importantly, human being. 
    One of very few bright sparks in arguably our worse ever period. 
    Perhaps the biggest accolade is that he’ll be remembered fondly, in an era the fans will want to forget.  

Good luck and thanks George.
    How did he put his young family’s future on the line ? 
    Also confused by that statement. No defender of Taylor, but Dobson's pre contract gave him the security to play out his contract that Taylor didn't have. 
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Is it wishful thinking on my part……probably?
    I think there’s a chance that we’ve not heard the last of this story…..either very soon or a little way down the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there’s a chance that we’ve not heard the last of this story…..either very soon or a little way down the line.
    You’ve been saying this for a while mate, but unfortunately I think it is a done deal now. 
  • Options
    Is there nothing we can do to thwart this disastrous enterprise? Praying GD is here next season. A brilliant servant for the club. 
  • Options
    As a third placed Hungarian club that means no European football for George doesn't it? If that is the case why is he going  there? We'll be in the championship in a year. Fa Cup final the following year. Prem ...
    If its career opportunities he's after stick with Charlton George 
  • Options
    edited May 8
    Dobbo is the only player to have his name on the back of one of my replica shirts (and I have 20+ since the 80's).

He isn't the best footballer, but in my view was the most consistent performer during his time at the club. As others have said, there was the occasional stray pass, and his shooting was pretty much non-existent, but his work rate and desire reminded me of another club legend, Chris Solly.

Dobbo was the sun trying to break through, on a grey day that absolutely refuses to end!

Could we buy better, we definitely can, but will we? 
    Mendonca
    Holland
    Johansson 
    (I was never getting Bent) 
    I had BWP on a hoody I made myself. 

Then I got too old for player names on footy gear. Nowadays my wife sometimes gets Dazzler 21 on my shirts, but I prefer them plain. 

Jackson, Reid & Dobson if I was still in my teens would definitely have had a place on that list too over the years, if May stays and does well, he would probably have made it too... 
  • Options
    It’s become clear that people aren’t going to believe this is a done deal until they see a match highlights package where he’s playing in their shirt.

Even then I reckon some folks will be asking if there’s still a way out.
    Guilty! :)
  • Options
    It’s become clear that people aren’t going to believe this is a done deal until they see a match highlights package where he’s playing in their shirt.

Even then I reckon some folks will be asking if there’s still a way out

I'm definitely one of those ☝️
  • Options
    As a third placed Hungarian club that means no European football for George doesn't it? If that is the case why is he going  there? We'll be in the championship in a year. Fa Cup final the following year. Prem ...
    At the moment they've qualified for the Conference League (2nd Qualifying Round), 3rd and 4th go into that, they cant drop lower than 4th now - However they're just a point behind 2nd though, which will get them in the Europa League
  • Options
    What makes Dobbo is his commitment and dedication.  He is not the most skillful or tactically aware footballer but makes up for it in energy, drive and enthusiasm.  Over his time with us he has improved a lot.  He came having had a poor spell with Sunderland and neither Adkins or Garner fancied him, both leaving him as a bench warmer, but injuries opened the door for him into the first team and he took his opportunity with "gusto" (actually Gusto never even got on the bench!!).

He can and will be replaced for better skill wise, hopefully, but it will be hard to replace the heart he brought to the team.

Having been a fan since 1969 I know players come and go and if we have a good start next season he will be all but forgotten or placed in the file of former heroes.
  • Options
    At the moment they've qualified for the Conference League (2nd Qualifying Round), 3rd and 4th go into that, they cant drop lower than 4th now - However they're just a point behind 2nd though, which will get them in the Europa League
    It will be help:
    https://kassiesa.net/uefa/qual2024.html

The second place only Europe League 1st round, if ferencvaros win the cup, but the rest is ok. The 4th, and the 5th place team play each other at the final round, so both cannot get 9 points.

If we reach the Europe League spot, we will be seeded at the first round. If not, at the Conference League 2nd round we are also seeded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread is slowly morphing into the Ferhervar appreciation society thread, can see their scores popping up on Match Threads next season, they are the enemy ffs, they took our Dobbo, imagine if it was Palace or the other lot down the road...how would ya feel then eh...🙄
    Ferhervar wear red and blue stripes. I'm not sure I am ready to see Dobbo in a red and blue shirt.
  • Options
    This thread is slowly morphing into the Ferhervar appreciation society thread, can see their scores popping up on Match Threads next season, they are the enemy ffs, they took our Dobbo, imagine if it was Palace or the other lot down the road...how would ya feel then eh...🙄

Elsewhere it has been mentioned we may play the Hungarians pre-season :o
  • Options

Far too Pally Pally for me...🤷‍♂️
  • Options

It's OK, that's probably just part of the agreement to allow Dobbo to stay with us
  • Options
    What's the percentage bet we throw together an offer for him in late August once all of our other 'options' are joining Championship clubs again? 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen any posts of George's social media about thanking the club for their support, looking forward to new challenges in a new environment, anything if that nature. Most club captains would offer something up in that space. Oddly quiet. Sorry if I have missed a historical post that would qualify the above. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen any posts of George's social media about thanking the club for their support, looking forward to new challenges in a new environment, anything if that nature. Most club captains would offer something up in that space. Oddly quiet. Sorry if I have missed a historical post that would qualify the above. 
    He's made his Instagram account private.  Which obviously will definitely do the trick of ensuring there's no idle speculation about him or his plans.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    He's made his Instagram account private.  Which obviously will definitely do the trick of ensuring there's no idle speculation about him or his plans.  
    The Hungarians don't like their players to be on Insta.......