Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 1
    Most agree he's a stand out consistent performer for us in a poor team, although not all his past and present managers here and elsewhere value him.

Jones must be looking at replacement options for if he goes with Scott's input needed to bring them in. With so much else to do this summer, the uncertainty is a distraction. News of a resolution one way or the other today would be good.
  • Options
    Would be interested to know what the offer was and why George and his team thought it was derisory? Without knowing it's hard for any of us to really make a judgement
    Was it less than the going rate he could've expected other clubs in league one would have offered him?
     Or was he unhappy because it didn't meet the levels that others in the squad had been offered by previous ownership regimes?
  • Options
    edited May 1
    So, not only did we forego a transfer fee from the Hungarians in February, people now want us to pay the Hungarians a fee to keep Dobbo. 

Jesus ! I know someone who's selling London Bridge if you're interested. 
    How much do they want golfie 🤔
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Lots of ifs on this thread, guesses, all tinged with hope I believe (not a bad thing but we all know that it's the hope that kills!).

Would I have liked Dobbo to stay? - yes, he adds to the squad, not least with his drive, energy and commitment - manifested in the tail end of the season performance that showed the mark of the man. Can we replace him? - yes, and if we are serious about making a promotion bid next season then we have to replace him with better.

There are some knowns and some unknowns. My understanding of the knowns is that Appleton and Scott didn't particularly rate him and the club were not prepared to increase their offer (whatever the second offer was - that's an unknown). We agreed to sell him to the Hungarian side for, I assume, a fee, and he was to leave in February (the Hungarian window was still open). NJ came in and due to the league position we were in did not want to release him in February as no replacement could have been found. Charlton subsequently withdrew from the sale and Dobbo then signed a pre-contract agreement to join them as a free agent at the end of June. Charlton therefore had to forego any fee as the cost of keeping him until the end of the season.

Does George and his family really want to go and live in Hungary? None of us know. Were there likely to be better offers in the summer in the UK? None of us know, including George! If the 'net' value of his contract in Hungary provides George and his family with a financial safety net between when he retires from football and when he decides what he wants to do for the rest of his working life then all power to his elbow.

I cannot see any outcome that would mean George plays for us again. As someone else said, he owes us nothing and I wish him well in the future. Thanks, Dobbo.
    I can. He goes to Hungary and his wife absolutely hates it. She is very isolated with 2 young children and no support circle around her. Meanwhile, both sets of parents are really upset that they are not seeing their grandchildren and tell GD that in no uncertain terms. 

With his home life a mess, and missing home himself, his form goes to pot and he is dropped. Fans turn against him and by January he is ready to come back. He resigns for us just before the transfer window shuts.

Actually, I hope that doesn't happen to him because I wish him well but stranger things have happened.   
    Actually...I can see this extraordinary scenario happening. 👍 
  • Options
    So, not only did we forego a transfer fee from the Hungarians in February, people now want us to pay the Hungarians a fee to keep Dobbo. 

Jesus ! I know someone who's selling London Bridge if you're interested. 
    How much do they want golfie 🤔
    How much did we get from Lazio for DiCanio 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Lots of ifs on this thread, guesses, all tinged with hope I believe (not a bad thing but we all know that it's the hope that kills!).

Would I have liked Dobbo to stay? - yes, he adds to the squad, not least with his drive, energy and commitment - manifested in the tail end of the season performance that showed the mark of the man. Can we replace him? - yes, and if we are serious about making a promotion bid next season then we have to replace him with better.

There are some knowns and some unknowns. My understanding of the knowns is that Appleton and Scott didn't particularly rate him and the club were not prepared to increase their offer (whatever the second offer was - that's an unknown). We agreed to sell him to the Hungarian side for, I assume, a fee, and he was to leave in February (the Hungarian window was still open). NJ came in and due to the league position we were in did not want to release him in February as no replacement could have been found. Charlton subsequently withdrew from the sale and Dobbo then signed a pre-contract agreement to join them as a free agent at the end of June. Charlton therefore had to forego any fee as the cost of keeping him until the end of the season.

Does George and his family really want to go and live in Hungary? None of us know. Were there likely to be better offers in the summer in the UK? None of us know, including George! If the 'net' value of his contract in Hungary provides George and his family with a financial safety net between when he retires from football and when he decides what he wants to do for the rest of his working life then all power to his elbow.

I cannot see any outcome that would mean George plays for us again. As someone else said, he owes us nothing and I wish him well in the future. Thanks, Dobbo.
    I can. He goes to Hungary and his wife absolutely hates it. She is very isolated with 2 young children and no support circle around her. Meanwhile, both sets of parents are really upset that they are not seeing their grandchildren and tell GD that in no uncertain terms. 

With his home life a mess, and missing home himself, his form goes to pot and he is dropped. Fans turn against him and by January he is ready to come back. He resigns for us just before the transfer window shuts.

Actually, I hope that doesn't happen to him because I wish him well but stranger things have happened.   
    It wouldn’t be the first time he moved abroad and came back to England after about 6 months. He played for Sparta Rotterdam in the first half of the 17/18 season.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    This interview really gives off the impression he's off. More than the Charlton Live one. He's clearly gutted though https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1785326297759007134
    Nah, still sounds very undecided, and until it is resolved one way or the other, then it's very much "can't comment too much" stuff...
    Sure we will get closure soon..hopefully anyway, and then we will hear some positive news...👍
    Can't see why HE can't comment....its his contract ffs !  Take ownership of the situation young man. YOU signed a contract with another club to start in July....if you're heart is set on a move then just say so. If not then admit you goofed & are trying to thrash out a deal to stay

Jesus. Anyone would think someone put a gun against his head or is keeping his wife hostage. 
    He’s still under contract to Charlton at the moment isn’t he ? Can’t see him saying anything until it is all done one way or another 
    It is all done. He was even photographed holding his new teams shirt aloft. 
    Wasn't that an Operation Ewood tee shirt?

I don't recall seeing a name, number or badge. 
  • Options
    Why doesn't he just join them, then after a few weeks say he's homesick and ask to leave (hasn't that been done to us before?).   Or he could just play awful for them and they may terminate his contract.
    Yes I think you are right, we have been in that situation…Alexei Smertin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People blaming GD for signing his pre-contract AFTER Jones joined.

1. Is that actually the case? Do we know when he actually signed? I suspect it was signed BEFORE Jones arrived.

2. Even if it was signed AFTER Jones came in that does not mean that the club made any improved contract offer to Dobson before he signed the pre-contract.

He was quite sensible to take the better deal from Hungary rather than wait for Scott to MAYBE change his mind and up the offer from Charlton.
    I can't remember who said it, but they outlined it similarly to your final sentence and then Charlton made the offer of what GD had wanted.
  • Options

1. Is that actually the case? Do we know when he actually signed? I suspect it was signed BEFORE Jones arrived.

2. Even if it was signed AFTER Jones came in that does not mean that the club made any improved contract offer to Dobson before he signed the pre-contract.

He was quite sensible to take the better deal from Hungary rather than wait for Scott to MAYBE change his mind and up the offer from Charlton.
    Or he could have waited until the summer to see what offers were available, like 99% of players who have expiring contracts do.
  • Options

Or he could have waited until the summer to see what offers were available, like 99% of players who have expiring contracts do.
    He could have taken that risk, and it clearly is a risk, or he could take what he felt was a good deal there and then.

Not sure all the players WANT to wait and see.  They perhaps don't have much choice.   There will be players meeting Jones today and being told "Thanks, but you're not being offered a new deal".  Some will be teenagers and others seasoned professionals near the end of their careers.  They then have to hope that another club wants them and offers them a decent deal.  Players like Wickham and Lualua were without a club and so no income for a long time, remember.

A bird in the hand is worth two in Andy Scott's office. 
  • Options
    I would imagine Jones will sort it out quickly. The stumbling blocks are firstly offering Dobbo a potential contract he is happy with then the Hungarians playing ball. The thing is, Dobbo has shown he is profesional and will play his best for the team so he probably won't throw his rattle out of the pram. I suspect they will want too much for him and the best bet would be to hope he doesn't take to Hungary and gets quickly released. 
  • Options

He could have taken that risk, and it clearly is a risk, or he could take what he felt was a good deal there and then.

Not sure all the players WANT to wait and see.  They perhaps don't have much choice.   There will be players meeting Jones today and being told "Thanks, but you're not being offered a new deal".  Some will be teenagers and others seasoned professionals near the end of their careers.  They then have to hope that another club wants them and offers them a decent deal.  Players like Wickham and Lualua were without a club and so no income for a long time, remember.

An unknown youngster, or an older pro with a chequered injury record might grab any contract they can get, but that hardly applies to Dobson, who's in his prime, and has an excellent injury and fitness record.

I have no problem him taking the offer from Hungary is it was something he really wanted, but it would be weird to take it just because it was the only offer on the table in January.
  • Options

An unknown youngster, or an older pro with a chequered injury record might grab any contract they can get, but that hardly applies to Dobson, who's in his prime, and has an excellent injury and fitness record.

I have no problem him taking the offer from Hungary is it was something he really wanted, but it would be weird to take it just because it was the only offer on the table in January.
    Has he ever said that didn't really want it?
  • Options

It was signed before, and they tried to make the deal happen before the summer and give us a fee, which Jones stopped.

Charlton made Dobson 3 offers from what I have been told, and 3rd one was what Dobson wanted at the start, but he choose to sign for them.. But unfortunately, it was all too late!

• Options
    Sorry must have missed this, what was it?

PragueAddick said:
    Anyway I am firmly in the “he’s off” camp. The only way it doesnt happen is if, unknown to us, the owners are planning a *big*push, which means probably £2m set aside for transfer fees plus a top 3 wage budget. I doubt this, but after listening to the Swiss Ramble guy guesting on the Price of Football, I would say its not a complete fan fantasy…

• Options

If something is weird, as in apparently sensible people making dumb decisions, it often turns out that they have been badly advised. Agents, so they say, advise. 

Similarly if markets (including the market for a player) don’t react as expected, there is a hidden factor at play. Such as an agent who has a motivation to push one offer to his client. I won’t take that further because I have no information about it, but I have always found the idea that no other decent English club had any interest in Dobbo, totally unbelievable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

It was signed before, and they tried to make the deal happen before the summer and give us a fee, which Jones stopped.

Charlton made Dobson 3 offers from what I have been told, and 3rd one was what Dobson wanted at the start, but he choose to sign for them.. But unfortunately, it was all too late!
    This is my understanding - Can't remember who originally posted it. 
  • Options

If something is weird, as in apparently sensible people making dumb decisions, it often turns out that they have been badly advised. Agents, so they say, advise. 

Similarly if markets (including the market for a player) don’t react as expected, there is a hidden factor at play. Such as an agent who has a motivation to push one offer to his client. I won’t take that further because I have no information about it, but I have always found the idea that no other decent English club had any interest in Dobbo, totally unbelievable.
    But you also found it totally unbelievable that the interest from Hungsry was real or that any English players had moved to Hungary and other middle European clubs until both were proved to be the case.

You hate agents and blame them for everything so this is your confirmation bias kicking in.

None of us KNOW if he was badly advised because none of us know what he was offered or what his thought process was.

And even if he was badly advised, which is far from clear, in the end Dobson made the decision, not his agent.
    Guy’s, it’s really too late to be discussing who was at fault……..for the time being that is.
    What we all want to know is what ‘if anything’ is being done to resolve the situation to everyone’s satisfaction. 🤔🤨🧐