Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 3
    News that we have all known, but tried to convince ourselves may not happen. 

On reflection, it's a bit disappointing he didn't wait the season out, and was already in talks while we were staring down the barrel of relegation, but I do sympathise that we have incompetent posers calling the shots in some areas of the club, and he wanted to secure his future. 

Always welcome back and thanks for the memories Dobbo 
  • Options
    Time to close the thread.
    huge own goal by the club but it’s time to move on no!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Charlton vs Ferhervar in the Europa League 2029
    More like pre season friendly.🙄
  • Options
    All the very best to Dobbo. Gutted to see him go.

As for how the club handled this (pre-NJ)... well, I work in search, and making an offer ONLY after one from a prospective new employer has been accepted (in this case, literally signed) points to a poor work culture and attempts to get things done cheaply and a bit exploitatively. I'd never advise anyone - whether I have a vested interest or not - to take a counter offer in such circumstances. It very rarely pans out well.

Football is a little different, but the overarching point would still stand. If he WAS valued... why was it only after Fehervar's overtures?

Hopefully the last big mistake we see for a long time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are only successful with players that WANT to play for Charlton. 
    We have let one go for a few hundred grand. 
    It’s an error. 

Andy Scott:

Proven good players brought in = a few
    Rubbish players brought in = loads
    Good players let go = 1

• Options
    Shame - but looks fairly definate now.  Even on BBC Sport.  Just looked at his Wikipedia profile and he has played abroad before in the Netherlands so maybe that experience was good and he fancies trying it again.
  • Options
    Hoped and prayed Dobbo would stay and gutted he is now confirmed as gone.
    Good luck in your new venture and thanks for the commitment to the cause, you gave 100% every time you pulled the shirt on.
  • Options
    Andy Scott knows best after all. 

Should be walking out the door with Dobson. 
  • Options
    edited May 3
    I wish Dobson all the very best in his new venture albeit that it is a situation that, with proper handling, could have been avoided. A vote of thanks to our Hungarian friend @Vjacheslav who called it right from the start and all the way along. It would be good, as and when, to get the inside track on how Dobson is doing in Hungary. Meantime we need to move on and build a squad capable of promotion. 
    Yes I agree AA. Let us all toast @Vjacheslav with a pint of Unicum, wish Dobbo all the best and close this thread
  • Options
    Thanks George, enjoyed watching you in a Charlton shirt.

One of the rare occasions in modern football where a returning player probably won’t get booed if he ever came back to the Valley for another side.
  • Options
    It’s done.

• Options
    It’s done.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
     :'(:'(:'(  
  • Options
    Has the length of his contract in Hungary been mentioned anywhere?

@Vjacheslav - thanks for your contribution to this thread. I would be grateful if you could give us the occasional update on how Dobbo is playing and settling down in Hungary.
  • Options
    I think we need to change the title of the thread now to put everyone out of their misery!
  • Options
    Wonder if we will hear from Dobbo himself. Sad he’s gone as I think we would definitely be better off with him than without. Good luck Dobbo, you can be sure of a rousing reception when you next appear at The Valley whoever it’s for.
  • Options
    TBH, I won't believe this is 100% , ireffutable, rubber stamped  etc until I read a message from the player himself thanking us all for our support and wishing Charlton every success in the coming season. 

Only then will I get the tissues out....
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

@Vjacheslav - thanks for your contribution to this thread. I would be grateful if you could give us the occasional update on how Dobbo is playing and settling down in Hungary.
    https://fehervarfc.hu/en/news/george-dobson-will-play-for-fehervar-fc-from-next-season

No confirmation on how long the deal is.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

https://fehervarfc.hu/en/news/george-dobson-will-play-for-fehervar-fc-from-next-season

3 years.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

3 years.
    By the time he comes back, I’ll be drawing my state pension. Bye, George. Thanks for the memories 
  • Options
    Really hope Dobson has a Chris Powell-esque Charlton career! 

A few stints at The Valley, and potentially a coaching role