Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 1
    People blaming GD for signing his pre-contract AFTER Jones joined.

1. Is that actually the case? Do we know when he actually signed? I suspect it was signed BEFORE Jones arrived.

2. Even if it was signed AFTER Jones came in that does not mean that the club made any improved contract offer to Dobson before he signed the pre-contract.

He was quite sensible to take the better deal from Hungary rather than wait for Scott to MAYBE change his mind and up the offer from Charlton.
    Or he could have waited until the summer to see what offers were available, like 99% of players who have expiring contracts do.
    He could have taken that risk, and it clearly is a risk, or he could take what he felt was a good deal there and then.

Not sure all the players WANT to wait and see.  They perhaps don't have much choice.   There will be players meeting Jones today and being told "Thanks, but you're not being offered a new deal".  Some will be teenagers and others seasoned professionals near the end of their careers.  They then have to hope that another club wants them and offers them a decent deal.  Players like Wickham and Lualua were without a club and so no income for a long time, remember.

A bird in the hand is worth two in Andy Scott's office. 
    An unknown youngster, or an older pro with a chequered injury record might grab any contract they can get, but that hardly applies to Dobson, who's in his prime, and has an excellent injury and fitness record.

I have no problem him taking the offer from Hungary is it was something he really wanted, but it would be weird to take it just because it was the only offer on the table in January.

It's always easy to gamble other people's money. 

Dobson took the no risk option and fair play to him. We clearly did not offer what he felt was enough so to protect his family/income/career he signed a pre contract meaning he didn't spend the next few months worrying about injury.

Who knows why he opted for Hungry but good luck to him, I have worked abroad 3-4 times in my life for varying times and they were some of the best decisions I ever made.

I am sure he is sorry to leave us as he has clearly enjoyed his time at the club but does he regret the move? Why should he. New experience, better money, European football.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

1. Is that actually the case? Do we know when he actually signed? I suspect it was signed BEFORE Jones arrived.

2. Even if it was signed AFTER Jones came in that does not mean that the club made any improved contract offer to Dobson before he signed the pre-contract.

He was quite sensible to take the better deal from Hungary rather than wait for Scott to MAYBE change his mind and up the offer from Charlton.
    It was signed before, and they tried to make the deal happen before the summer and give us a fee, which Jones stopped.

Charlton made Dobson 3 offers from what I have been told, and 3rd one was what Dobson wanted at the start, but he choose to sign for them.. But unfortunately, it was all too late!
    This is my understanding - Can't remember who originally posted it. 
    Ronnie Moore 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

It was signed before, and they tried to make the deal happen before the summer and give us a fee, which Jones stopped.

Charlton made Dobson 3 offers from what I have been told, and 3rd one was what Dobson wanted at the start, but he choose to sign for them.. But unfortunately, it was all too late!
    Ronnie Moore 
    I'd have ignored it, if it were them. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Ronnie Moore 
    I'd have ignored it, if it were them. 
    'Them'? There's more than one Ronnie Moore? God help us!
  • Options
    Could this thread overtake the legendary Takeover thread 🥸
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

So the UK directors are leaking that they matched what Dobson had asked for but only after he'd already signed for the Hungarian Club.

Not really a real or vaid offer then.
    No, was offered before he had agreed to sign for them, charlton offered towards the end the year, Dobson agreed to sign for them in January. And then explored the option of Dobson joining them early after he agreed to sign, Charlton named the price, which they agreed. And Dobson was off, until Jones pulled the plug. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 1
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

So the UK directors are leaking that they matched what Dobson had asked for but only after he'd already signed for the Hungarian Club.

No, was offered before he had agreed to sign for them, charlton offered towards the end the year, Dobson agreed to sign for them in January. And then explored the option of Dobson joining them early after he agreed to sign, Charlton named the price, which they agreed. And Dobson was off, until Jones pulled the plug. 
    Not what you said originally.

Also doesn't tally with what people close to Dobson are saying.

What did I originally say?

and if you know so much share it?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

The fact your friends are still briefing against Dobson is probably one of the reasons he's still leaving
    The fact I haven’t spoke to them for a few months.. just as it was back in February. 

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Not what you said originally.

Also doesn't tally with what people close to Dobson are saying.

What did I originally say?

and if you know so much share it?
    You said the last, bigger iffer was "too late".

Already been said on here by those close George that the "offer close to what he wanted" line isn't true.

I have no inside info so I don't know.  I accept he's almost certainly leaving but i recognise spin when I read it.

Just hope Jones is given control of recruitnent ( @Redhenry who is a reliable source suggests he is) and we avoid more of Scott's mistakes, of which losing Dobson is one of the biggest.
    Too late, as in the damage was already done. With the insulting first offer in Dobsons opinion.

i am told, the 3rd offer was what he wanted originally. But by the time the 3rd had come in, the Hungrey offer was more than our offer. At that point he then agreed to move.

It’s great Jones is doing the recruiting and has his own list players. And I am sure he will be well backed, and given all the tools

Everyone knows Scott has made mistakes, and he is on a tightrope I would say. 

• Options
    edited May 1

• Options

I know that one, definitely the second version. Dobbo only signed the pre-contract, after the transfer pulled off.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Only if people start posting fish puns. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Cods wallop !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Cods wallop !
    There's a time and a plaice for that sort of comment.

• Options

Or he could have waited until the summer to see what offers were available, like 99% of players who have expiring contracts do.
    He could have taken that risk, and it clearly is a risk, or he could take what he felt was a good deal there and then.

Not sure all the players WANT to wait and see.  They perhaps don't have much choice.   There will be players meeting Jones today and being told "Thanks, but you're not being offered a new deal".  Some will be teenagers and others seasoned professionals near the end of their careers.  They then have to hope that another club wants them and offers them a decent deal.  Players like Wickham and Lualua were without a club and so no income for a long time, remember.

A bird in the hand is worth two in Andy Scott's office. 
    An unknown youngster, or an older pro with a chequered injury record might grab any contract they can get, but that hardly applies to Dobson, who's in his prime, and has an excellent injury and fitness record.

I have no problem him taking the offer from Hungary is it was something he really wanted, but it would be weird to take it just because it was the only offer on the table in January.
    If something is weird, as in apparently sensible people making dumb decisions, it often turns out that they have been badly advised. Agents, so they say, advise. 

Similarly if markets (including the market for a player) don’t react as expected, there is a hidden factor at play. Such as an agent who has a motivation to push one offer to his client. I won’t take that further because I have no information about it, but I have always found the idea that no other decent English club had any interest in Dobbo, totally unbelievable.
    But you also found it totally unbelievable that the interest from Hungsry was real or that any English players had moved to Hungary and other middle European clubs until both were proved to be the case.

You hate agents and blame them for everything so this is your confirmation bias kicking in.

None of us KNOW if he was badly advised because none of us know what he was offered or what his thought process was.

And even if he was badly advised, which is far from clear, in the end Dobson made the decision, not his agent.
    Do you believe that no other  credible English league club was interested to make an offer to Dobson in the transfer window? We didnt hear of any but that’s not the same thing. And any number of respected journos have told me that agents are an important source of stories about transfer interest, which a good journo vets before running with it.

I wasn’t flying blind on the left field nature of Fehervar’s bid. I’ve several times mentioned a long term Hungarian contact who founded Hungarofoot, a long established web channel of HU football, who had assisted in opening a dialogue channel between CAST and Roderick Duchatelet in Budapest when things got feisty. Emigre in Luton, big Hatters fan. He branded it “bizarre” when he first heard the news, so that was good enough for me. Subsequently I’ve been pleased to learn a lot from @Vjacheslav

Even you might concede that after 31 years out here I might also have learnt something about the pitfalls awaiting British emigres with little prior knowledge of what to expect and why.

I “hate” the fact that there is minimal regulation in football of agents’ roles and activities. I’ve never met @Swisdom but once he’s up and running - and I hope it goes really well for him as I’ve always appreciated his contributionsf- I’d absolutely love to have a chat with him. Very ready to have my mind changed, when the facts change…
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Solidgone said:
    Cods wallop !

Yep we have been reeled in again…
  • Options
    edited May 1
    bobmunro said:
    Solidgone said:
    Cods wallop !

Yep we have been reeled in again…
    oh good Cod not again! more of the same old Pollocks!
  • Options

I know that one, definitely the second version. Dobbo only signed the pre-contract, after the transfer pulled off.

No wonder Scott wouldn't agree to Dobbo's demands.
  • Options
    I’m sure that ( alright I’m getting old so ‘sure’ might be a bit strong ) that Richard Murray told me that Joe Aribo’s agent trousered up to £ 1m for sending him to Rangers 
    I don’t think agents are a positive influence in football and I would think it’s very likely ( but I don’t know) that George’s agent is earning well out of the deal . 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Solidgone said:
    Could be worse, could be random historical facts that happened in the year correlating to the page number eg in 117AD Hadrian became Roman Emperor.
    And 1900-odd pages later someone cuts a tree down and messes up his wall.
  • Options
    It's from the horse's mouth in the interview at the dinner last week, Dobson said he thinks the club treated him unfairly.

Given the way he said it, and the personality he is, I'm 100% sure that the club were at fault for what's happened. 
    Yes, maybe that is the way he felt and maybe the first offer was disrespectful, which I think is the one that made his mind up. But as I have mentioned, the club did try hard to keep him, but it was too little too late. 

As I have mentioned, it is a tough one to take that he isn't going to be in a Charlton shirt next season, but am fuming and think losing him will mean we won't win promotion no!

I am sure Jones has targets that will step in to that 8 role, and will make us a lot more competitive!