Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I’m sorry to interrupt these moments of innovative, compelling footballing and financial clarity but as I rarely comment on here about footballing issues anymore if you don’t mind a distraction I do have a question or two. 

Do you actually enjoy football? Do you actually enjoy supporting Charlton Athletic Football Club? Why exactly do you need to do this to yourselves? 

I ask because reading through most of nearly 650 pages of this thread I am tempted to suggest the need for a collective « intervention ».

I mean Transfer Rumours eh? There’s a misnomer. 

You know it is like when your mate taps you up for £10 again so he can buy a round, when you know he has just blown £50 at the bookies…..again …or in the old days when mid pint he would rush over screaming for coin as the fruit machine was just about to pay out….just like last week ……and the week before or

Maybe it is more like the mate who for the ninth week running has had just one or two drinks more than he could handle to take him from the level of pointless monosyllabic dialogue to becoming completely incoherent or

Maybe it is more like the other mate who once chose to shack up with « his » third girlfriend in six months who appeared to be just as tarty as the last two. Why do people keep shopping for life partners in the same places with the expectation « this one » will be different?

Anyway sorry to interrupt just thought I’d ask because I grew up loving the game of football, enjoying the physical activity, the fresh air, the developing of skills, the social interaction, the common interest across society, interacting with mates and family enjoying and/or commiserating the shared experience. 

It was great. It was fun. There was good heathy competition. It was good family time, There were moments of success and celebration but with the reality try as you might you (and they) could not get it right every time.

Anyway as I say I just thought I would ask because I was beginning to wonder whether Football Clubs and Football Club message boards should carry government health warnings.

Carry on….just 20 sleeps to go.
    Bit pithy for you Grapevine!
    still could be more concise - needs to work on it 
  • I’m sorry to interrupt these moments of innovative, compelling footballing and financial clarity but as I rarely comment on here about footballing issues anymore if you don’t mind a distraction I do have a question or two. 

Do you actually enjoy football? Do you actually enjoy supporting Charlton Athletic Football Club? Why exactly do you need to do this to yourselves? 

I ask because reading through most of nearly 650 pages of this thread I am tempted to suggest the need for a collective « intervention ».

I mean Transfer Rumours eh? There’s a misnomer. 

You know it is like when your mate taps you up for £10 again so he can buy a round, when you know he has just blown £50 at the bookies…..again …or in the old days when mid pint he would rush over screaming for coin as the fruit machine was just about to pay out….just like last week ……and the week before or

Maybe it is more like the mate who for the ninth week running has had just one or two drinks more than he could handle to take him from the level of pointless monosyllabic dialogue to becoming completely incoherent or

Maybe it is more like the other mate who once chose to shack up with « his » third girlfriend in six months who appeared to be just as tarty as the last two. Why do people keep shopping for life partners in the same places with the expectation « this one » will be different?

Anyway sorry to interrupt just thought I’d ask because I grew up loving the game of football, enjoying the physical activity, the fresh air, the developing of skills, the social interaction, the common interest across society, interacting with mates and family enjoying and/or commiserating the shared experience. 

It was great. It was fun. There was good heathy competition. It was good family time, There were moments of success and celebration but with the reality try as you might you (and they) could not get it right every time.

Anyway as I say I just thought I would ask because I was beginning to wonder whether Football Clubs and Football Club message boards should carry government health warnings.

Carry on….just 20 sleeps to go.
    As always … ⚫️On 👍
  • Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    As always Grapevine is spot on. As an idea should we have 2 x Rumours threads. One for the negative folks and a 2nd for the positive folks. That would cut down on the constant rows lol
    You just know the negative lot would want to creep on the positive one to infect us with their negativity. :lol:

Then admin should bring a card system in. 1st offence is a yellow, 2nd is a red and 7 day ban lol
  • DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i'm doing all i can - i pass on every rumour or fact i can - rarely get thanked for it, normally get abused for it 
    Any chance of a round up of your incomings that are still potentially happening?
    just for u dazzler - kirk still happening, henderson nr 2 keeper, and harness out on loan - new black player training with team  
    Appreciate it 
  • DOUCHER said:
    i'm doing all i can - i pass on every rumour or fact i can - rarely get thanked for it, normally get abused for it 
    'tis the price of being a True Supporter I guess.  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    As always Grapevine is spot on. As an idea should we have 2 x Rumours threads. One for the negative folks and a 2nd for the positive folks. That would cut down on the constant rows lol
    You just know the negative lot would want to creep on the positive one to infect us with their negativity. :lol:

And vice versa to be fair. It's like people who go and post on a thread to moan why that thread exists  :D
  • AndyG said:
    No it wouldn't  :)  
  • edited August 2021
    I don't think we can say it was better under Roland. Despite not being technically a crook, he was willing to sell the club and risk its existence to crooks without too many obvious questions. Apart from his approach and attitude being all wrong, working against the fans rather than with them. I think the general point is that Roland was bad and this window has so far been worse than most of his, which is not intended to praise our previous owner.

I would rather have Sandgaard and if he came out and said that finances have forced us into a plan B, I would be ok about it. But the comments about blowing the league haven't been revised sufficiently so we know where we stand. I think he would be surprised at the support if that happened, in a positive way. But we have been led to believe this will be some season and sometimes it is better not to over promise than disappoint. For somebody who I believe over communicated with fans, I think he is undercommunicating now. That is a criticism, but I remain grateful for him saving us and that won't change anytime soon. But I am revising my expectations due to seeing actions (or lack of them) but not words.

I have started to look at it differently and am not expecting great signings so anything above my expectations will be a positive. I was frustrated as I was expecting something that hasn't happened. It is like telling a kid we will be going on holiday next week, then a day before saying we won't. We grab a lucky 1-0 win tomorrow and I will be all he more delighted as I will see any success as a bonus.
  • Maybe Thomas should come out and admit how much it actually cost to purchase the shares for the club. I for one would temper my expectations if it actually cost him a few million. I desperately want out of this league but I don't want him to spend a crazy amount of his own money. He has to try and get this club to be as solvent as possible. And yes in this league I know that's gonna be a really tough ask.
  • What is it with Range Rovers & Football ??? lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone's commented saying its his car. No idea if that's true ofc but 
  • SID said:
    This thread is indeed an insight into the modern football fan.

Instant.

Instant results, instant glory, instant satisfaction………instant.

I’m with Grapevine. Why do you bother? You all seem so miserable. You all seem so sure it’s all shit on a stick.

Maybe it’s because I’m away from it these days. But all I see is my club being slowly rebuilt after years of neglect. Rebuilt from the ground up. Not just the squad but everywhere.

Yes they made promises. What did you expect them to say ffs? You once believed in the tooth fairy & Santa Claus too right. We’re grown ups. We can tell when people are telling us what they would like to achieve but know it’s unlikely to happen. Jesus my bosses did this to me all my working life.

We are starting to have our Charlton back & that feels good.

Now can we please have some rumours 🤷‍♀️
    But they didn’t need to make promises they couldn’t deliver. We’ve been lied to for the last decade so why make it so much harder for themselves with unrealistic targets.
    If TS had said from the outset that there wasn’t much money to invest in the squad but the club has been saved I’m sure 99% of people on this forum would’ve not only accepted it but would’ve been grateful for what he’d done. I can’t help think that the negativity going around right now was self inflicted by over egging what was going to happen this season. 
    So you tell your parents, ‘why did you go & tell me there was a Father Christmas? You set me up for a lifetime of misery you lying buggers’?

No of course you didn’t (at least I hope you didn’t).

I took it with the message that was intended. HOPE!

The negativity is yours. Don’t go blaming others. You have a choice.
    I think it’s a bit of a stretch comparing what they said was going to happen (rip up the league etc) and telling a child that there is a Father Christmas. Obviously nothing in football results wise can be guaranteed, but in order to meet the expectations that were strongly alluded to a decent squad of players is a prerequisite. My point is that it was a totally unnecessary statement to make in the first place and people are only getting pissed off because of the statement. 
  • Someone does need to answer this, what is it with footballers, and wealthy people and Range Rovers, like what's the thing that makes them such a good buy?
  • _MrDick said:
    It’s Thursday. Just been to the newsagents and bought the Kentish Times, Kentish Independent and Mercury. Sorry lads n lasses, no rumours or signings this week 
    Waste of money mate, it’s well known the local papers in Plymouth is where the rumour action is. 
  • Would make sense, the younger footballers go for the Evoque cos they don’t need baby seats.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!