Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• If the Kirk rumours are true that would be a big step in the right direction.
  • edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    We Are starting to drift with the bookies now, out from 12/1 to 14/1. There opinion on us is obviously negative. 
    They don't have an opinion, it's who people are getting on that change their odds.
    And the fact that we only drew
    That wouldn’t make the bookies change the odds. If no one backs us we drift, if people steam in, they cut the odds. It’s a maths thing. If we signed Messi they’d cut the odds prior to the betting storm that’d follow. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Questions should be asked as to why we are again going to be relying heavily on loans vs buying players, if/when this inevitably happens. 
    No it shouldn't, if you don't use your 5 loans well, you won't go up.  It's a gift horse. Get it right and you will go up.  Don't and you either need to be incredibly lucky or spend a fucking fortune.  Even the mighty Ipswich, and Sir Chris used loans. 
    Neither Peterborough (1 loan plus an emergency keeper) or Hull (max 3 loans) relied heavily on loans last season
    To be fair, neither really needed to as they didnt lose the First Team players like we did.

Peterborough lost Toney on 1st Sept that was it apart from those they chose to release... Even before selling Toney they'd had already brought in Clarke-Harris and then brought in Szmodics a week later, and that was it - So meant they effectively went into League One with the same squad the season from before.

Its why its frustrating that we still need such depth added to the team, if we didnt then I'd favour our chances over Ipswich, as we'd be the team in Peterborough's shoes where we'd have the squad togetherness and familiarity sorted, whilst Paul Cook after two games is still trying to gel his squad together.

Its also worth noting that Peterborough that season before "finished" in seventh, the exact same place as us last term - They went into that summer knowing just a small bit of tweaking was all that was needed - Shame we didnt learn from that ourselves.

But we all wanted the squad overhaul didnt we
    5 loans every season means this is going to be the case every summer though. 
    There’s some people that think that’s ok. Bizarre. 
    It's not OK, it's not ideal, it's far from perfect. But it is reality.  Ipswich for all their splashing the cash, have already brought in two on loan.

Saying you don't want loans is like saying you don't want to rent then living in your mums basement until your 40.

I don't want loans but I know we need them. 
    I don't think many people are saying they don't want loans though, I agree they are a necessity. What is damaging to the progress of the club is signing 3/4 loan players every season who simply have to be first team quality. It's a massive risk because they are largely unknown, shown by the varying degree of success we've had over the last few years. This summer I think most of us hoped to improve the quality of the core squad and then complete the squad late on with a few loans, that hasn't happened. 
  • What's surprised me is that our only senior left back was injured TWO weeks before the start of the season, yet nobody has come in nearly 3 weeks later, forcing us to play a right back against Wednesday (solid but not attacking threat) and a rookie against Wimbledon.

Yes the club might have had priorities in terms of the timing of its transfers, but surely the Purrington injury should have made getting in a LB a top priority?
    Not if we’re targeting players who clubs won’t sell/loan out yet, which I expect is the case.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Sandgaard has now flown home, find it even stranger that he’s been here about 3 weeks and we haven’t signed anyone as we know he loves the limelight and being involved,
    really hoping we can get one or two over the line before Saturday because the atmosphere could turn a bit if it’s a bad performance.
    Other business interests to attend to perhaps.
    Whilst Sandgaard is not exempt from criticism I find it staggering that so early into his reign he is copping flak.  The years of neglect and mess created are not going to be cleaned up in five minutes.
    Although he didn’t do himself any favours with his early comments.  

Anyone who doesn’t see that he saved us is clearly moronic but that doesn’t mean we should be content with the squad we have either.
    "We shouldn't be content with the squad we have either"

What do we have the right to expect? You (and the majority here) seem to think we have the right to expect better than a top 6 worthy squad, because we are Charlton. Why does Charlton have that right?

As a club we lose 10m per year or something. So surely the only right we have to is to expect bankruptcy? Why do we have the right to expect Thomas or any other non-Charlton fan to fund our expectations? As a club our rights extend only as far a self sustainable operation would allow us, which is far below this point.

Its unpalatable, but its the truth.
    and will keep doing so all the time we are stuck in League One. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate.
  • We Are starting to drift with the bookies now, out from 12/1 to 14/1. There opinion on us is obviously negative. 
    I believe those odds are for automatic promotion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    my mate played for welling in the eighties when berry joined them just as he was finishing his career - said he was awful - i remember both of them as a kid and all i remember about them is lumping it into the channel and getting done for pace  
    For the record Doucher, Dick Tydeman captained one of the best sides we had in the eighties, under Mike Bailey. They basically cruised to promotion and I think they set either a record number of wins or games undefeated  that season. I think you may have been unfortunate to witness the season before when they got relegated, Bailey was appointed Manager then he wasn't, we had shit bags at the club in Tony Hazel and Lawrie Madden and they were that bad you and I could have got a game. If Dick Tydeman ever lumped it long then it was a game I must have missed, he was known for his passing ability.
    fair enough - i was only about 9 or 10 then but i just remember those guys being part of the old charlton that i first experienced when we were never going anywhere - fads kit promotion season aside - but i guess u r right - we r comparing what i consider to be dull lower championship sides with a side now which will be unlikely to get out of league 1 
    Early days yet, saturdays result was good and yes we need more players in but lets give it some time.
    How much do we need. 5 weeks 1 signing. To get the 7 players we need a window that stays open until April!
    We have to the end of the month for sure, I wouldn't have thought the manager, when questioned about the timing of incoming transfers, would have declared by the end of this window, if that wasn't the case.
  • edited August 2021
    I'd say at least one more is done 👀
  • Be great if Nick Pope got transferred and we got something out of it.
  • MattF said:
    I'd say at least one more is done
    Is this just an assumption? 
  • edited August 2021
    Redhenry said:
    This is what makes it so difficult making perm signings in league one. They have to have the potential to play in the Champ. I'm guessing and hoping this is why it's not been easy.
    I would assume some of the thought process is around looking at what happened when Bowyer got promoted, big(ish) investment got us promoted, next to no NEW signings and covid hits, we're then relegated which would have cost us a lot of money.

We need to make sure if we are promoted we survive the first season back at Champ level at least. I just hope we do get promoted by whatever means. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Of course we all wanted more and better players by now.  We are football supporters, the same is true of every club in the land. 

I expect that we are chasing those tricky ones whom are really too good for L1 so will leave it to the last moment.  If so, we may just get them done at the last knockings of the window and we continue to hold our nerve.  No point getting excited/worried until the window closes and we can then asses how strong the squad is.
  • redbuttle said:
    Where are the bloody rumours?
    In Ipswich!
  • redbuttle said:
    Where are the bloody rumours?
    In Ipswich!
    No rumours there, just facts.
  • AndyG said:
    As always Grapevine is spot on. As an idea should we have 2 x Rumours threads. One for the negative folks and a 2nd for the positive folks. That would cut down on the constant rows lol
    You just know the negative lot would want to creep on the positive one to infect us with their negativity. :lol:

• DOUCHER said:
    i'm doing all i can - i pass on every rumour or fact i can - rarely get thanked for it, normally get abused for it 
    Any chance of a round up of your incomings that are still potentially happening?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!