Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    We Are starting to drift with the bookies now, out from 12/1 to 14/1. There opinion on us is obviously negative. 
    If they read this thread we’d be 100/1
    if they read this thread they will be packing it in and going to a rest home, suicidal, or moving to Ipswich.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    We Are starting to drift with the bookies now, out from 12/1 to 14/1. There opinion on us is obviously negative. 
    They don't have an opinion, it's who people are getting on that change their odds.
    True, I was going to have a lumpy EW on us , but was waiting for the new signings. So far I have not had a penny….. ! 
  • Scoham said:
    Sunderland sign Dennis Cikrin from Spurs on a permanent deal. He’s a 19 year old left back. Another we’ve missed out on or are we looking for better?
    Highly rated by Spurs fans, the type of young player we should have been in for.
    Very inexperienced though, I'd be surprised if he became Sunderland's first choice considering he's never played a senior game
    Zero appearances for Spurs, no loans to lower clubs. So absolutely no experience. 

I can just imagine the reaction if we’d signed a left back with no league experience. I doubt anyone would be celebrating. 
    Connor Gallagher came with the same pedigree.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Sandgaard has now flown home, find it even stranger that he’s been here about 3 weeks and we haven’t signed anyone as we know he loves the limelight and being involved,
    really hoping we can get one or two over the line before Saturday because the atmosphere could turn a bit if it’s a bad performance.
    Other business interests to attend to perhaps.
    Whilst Sandgaard is not exempt from criticism I find it staggering that so early into his reign he is copping flak.  The years of neglect and mess created are not going to be cleaned up in five minutes.
    Although he didn’t do himself any favours with his early comments.  

Anyone who doesn’t see that he saved us is clearly moronic but that doesn’t mean we should be content with the squad we have either.
    "We shouldn't be content with the squad we have either"

What do we have the right to expect? You (and the majority here) seem to think we have the right to expect better than a top 6 worthy squad, because we are Charlton. Why does Charlton have that right?

As a club we lose 10m per year or something. So surely the only right we have to is to expect bankruptcy? Why do we have the right to expect Thomas or any other non-Charlton fan to fund our expectations? As a club our rights extend only as far a self sustainable operation would allow us, which is far below this point.

Its unpalatable, but its the truth.
    Didn’t someone say Roland put £71m of his own money in to keep the club running?
  • Where are the bloody rumours?
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Sandgaard has now flown home, find it even stranger that he’s been here about 3 weeks and we haven’t signed anyone as we know he loves the limelight and being involved,
    really hoping we can get one or two over the line before Saturday because the atmosphere could turn a bit if it’s a bad performance.
    Whilst Sandgaard is not exempt from criticism I find it staggering that so early into his reign he is copping flak.  The years of neglect and mess created are not going to be cleaned up in five minutes.

Anyone who doesn’t see that he saved us is clearly moronic but that doesn’t mean we should be content with the squad we have either.

What do we have the right to expect? You (and the majority here) seem to think we have the right to expect better than a top 6 worthy squad, because we are Charlton. Why does Charlton have that right?

As a club we lose 10m per year or something. So surely the only right we have to is to expect bankruptcy? Why do we have the right to expect Thomas or any other non-Charlton fan to fund our expectations? As a club our rights extend only as far a self sustainable operation would allow us, which is far below this point.

Didn’t someone say Roland put £71m of his own money in to keep the club running?
    But he aims to get it all back with interest.
  • Who on here is talking about embargo’s? 
  • Rothko said:
    Who on here is talking about embargo’s? 
    It’s on the last two pages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    People suggesting we seem like we're under one because of the lack of signings, pretty soon became people asking if we were under one. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Questions should be asked as to why we are again going to be relying heavily on loans vs buying players, if/when this inevitably happens. 
    No it shouldn't, if you don't use your 5 loans well, you won't go up.  It's a gift horse. Get it right and you will go up.  Don't and you either need to be incredibly lucky or spend a fucking fortune.  Even the mighty Ipswich, and Sir Chris used loans. 
    Of course it should. We’ve been told, having a new squad every year isn’t sustainable and we are going to rely heavily on Loan players being in our first team. Why are we continuing with the same strategy we’ve have for the past few years. 
    Because we have to do a total rebuild thanks to the mismanagement of the club over the past few years. Under Roland it was all loans and short-term deals and sales of useful players. So far this season we've renewed a number of contracts and signed some permanent players on 2 and 3 year deals. In the short term we'll need to bring in loans, but next season we'll have a better spine in place and can add to ti with new permanent players and bring in fewer loans. If Roland and ESI hadn't left us in such a state then this wouldn't be necessary, but they did, so it is.
    We have to do a total rebuild and we’ve bought in 3 new first team players this summer thus far, I’d say that’s worth questioning. 

Remember, this is the second transfer window under TS now. 
    Have we? We've signed Dobson, Clare, MacGillivray and Stockley this summer, so that's four, and we've got a possible deal in place to buy Akin all being well. We also renewed Matthews, JFC, Pearce and Watson, who were all on their way out. We also signed DJ last January who is a key part of our rebuild, and to a lesser extent Schwartz who so far isn't working out but we'll see. Add to that the deal that's apparently in place to sign Kirk if we can get it over the line, that's actually a large number of players we've tied down to the club since Sandgaard was able to. It might not be all exciting big transfers but it's a lot of expenditure on getting in enough players to be able to function as a football side. That's what we'll need to build on over time. On top of that the window isn't closed yet and we could see more permanents coming in. We've heard that teams want silly money for their players so getting some quality loans in is a no-brainer to flesh out the squad, and then hopefully fill those spots the next window/season with a new budget
    Yes three, stockley isn’t new, he was here last season. 
    Yeah, and now he's permanent. A 3 year deal as part of a rebuild, meaning that long term we can sign fewer loans, which is what we're talking about. Is your problem that some of our signings aren't new enough? I think you've really lost the thread of what you're complaining about. You're upset though, duly noted
    My problem is that at the end of last season we needed a rebuild. We have brought in 3 NEW players, not sure what’s hard to grasp about it. 
    But the newness doesn't matter. At the end of the season Stockley went back to Preston. Akin went back to Norwich and JFC, Pearce, Watson and Matthews were about to leave the club. We then took action and renewed, purchased or re-loaned all of those players. Their 'newness' is completely irrelevant. The whole point of your original gripe was that we don't want to just be signing loans; with Stockley we turned a successful loan into a permanent who will wear the captain's armband on the pitch this season. If you think that signing Stockley on a 3 year deal after his loan ended isn't part of the rebuild then no-one can do anything for you.
    To you it doesn’t. To me, I look at the squad that finished end of last season and the one we have now. Stockley’s a fantastic signing but if he’s part of the team that wasn’t good enough to get playoffs last season, I’m going to look at who else is added to that team in order to better this year. 3 players. 
    But we are talking about why we are still relying on loans. The reason for that is because we've put a large amount of expenditure into signing up new players. Stockley is a new player, whether you want to accept that or not, and he came with a fee. The four out of contract players also had to be signed up, along with Famewo, Dobson, Mac and Clare. The point of what we're discussing is why we still need to get the loans, and all of these fees and new salaries are part of the budget for the year. That means that we can make some progress towards rebuilding but we will likely be unable to get an entirely new squad on permanents. That takes time and a lot of money and so we'll likely need to settle for some short term fills, and then we'll plug those gaps with permanents the next season. Rebuilds take time. If we hadn't had the squad left in such a state by previous owners then we wouldn't have to do this, but the reality is we do
    Going round in circles now.

No one realistically expected a whole new team of perms. But no one thought we’d have 3 players added to the team that finished outside of the playoffs last season at this point of the window. 

We can disagree until we’re blue in the face on it, but this is the reality and no amount of sugar coating will make it look better. 
    That's exactly what you want in normal conditions. We finished outside the play-offs on goal difference, a normal team (like Peterborough last season selling one and adding two) can just top up on a good base each year with a few players and push on. We can't because half the team was out of contract and there were 5 loans to go back due to previous mismanagement. You can't seriously sit there and point at Stockley and Famewo and see them as the reason we didn't get into the play-offs, they were a big part of the reason we were near it at all. We fell apart when Inniss and Famewo were out, and we only lost 5 games in the 22 that Stockley played in. You can't just say 'we didn't make the play-offs last year, bin them all and start over, no-one who was here before counts'. I agree we'll go around in circles because you're refusing to accept the basic point, which is that we will still need loans for a while as we get that base in place. Stockley and hopefully Famewo will be a big part of that. I also didn't think we'd have signed so few players by now in June, but that's not and has never been what we're talking about. We're talking about still relying on loans to fill out the squad. It will be interesting to see how many loans we actually bring in before the deadline, we have space for four more but if we can get a couple more permanents in I could see us not using them all.

• Now that Cirkin has go to Sunderland does this not leave the door open for us to move in for Hume?
  • PWADDICK said:
    Now that Cirkin has go to Sunderland does this not leave the door open for us to move in for Hume?
    Would love us to pick up Hume, zero expectation on that though. Cirkin is only young and I can't see him immediately dislodging Hume. 
  • Was great to see TS rock up. My family bought 8 season tickets in the AC stand introducing new grandkids to the valley this season. At this moment in time we are concerned but not yet suicidal. 
  • PWADDICK said:
    Now that Cirkin has go to Sunderland does this not leave the door open for us to move in for Hume?
    Have we been linked with Hume then?
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:

To be fair Roland was slaughtered when he gave us squads without enough depth, or sold players to cover some of the ongoing losses

It's inconsistent to slaughter Roland for trying to manage the club's finances, but then praise Thomas for doing the same thing

(And no I'm not supporting Roland or ignoring the masses of self inflicted wounds he caused)
  • Can't see us making any signings now until the last day of the transfer window
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Would love us to pick up Hume, zero expectation on that though. Cirkin is only young and I can't see him immediately dislodging Hume. 
    More chance of me picking up Carl Leaburn and pressing him above my head at this rate! 😉
  • I have an Ipswich season ticket holder pal at work who’s been going for years, just had a long chat after a meeting, he said us being branded as “cheque book FC” is nonsense as they’ve received more from outgoings than they’ve spent.  

And said despite what everyone thinks they badly need some defenders because they look awful at the back.

Not all is as rosy as we all think!
    I wonder if that's true in terms of wages. They've probably got the odd Championship wage hanging about but I doubt they were able to attract Piggot who was Championship-bound, pay Bonne's Championship salary and entice Kyle Edwards, Conor Chaplin, George Edmundson, Rekeem Harper and Sone Aluko to step down from higher divisions without some pretty decent pay offers.
  • I have an Ipswich season ticket holder pal at work who’s been going for years, just had a long chat after a meeting, he said us being branded as “cheque book FC” is nonsense as they’ve received more from outgoings than they’ve spent.  

And said despite what everyone thinks they badly need some defenders because they look awful at the back.

Not all is as rosy as we all think!
    They must be flexing on the wages though.
  • Rothko said:
    I said it tongue in cheek and it seems to have flown . Oops 
  • Lots of rumours about Baah going to Donny on loan. Given the amount of chat on here he wouldn't be coming to league 1, I expect to see some serious shitfits later!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    They don't have an opinion, it's who people are getting on that change their odds.
    And the fact that we only drew
  • Lots of rumours about Baah going to Donny on loan. Given the amount of chat on here he wouldn't be coming to league 1, I expect to see some serious shitfits later!
    That already happened yesterday. 
  • Ipswich have probably covered their transfer fees in selling Dozzell and Downes but their wage bill must be the biggest in the league. Wasn't there rumours clubs were offering £10k PW? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!