Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    The longer we leave it, the more I worry that we'll just have to get bodies in for the sake of it. Another window of Matt Smith v1 and David Davis.
  • thenewbie said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nah the more I think about it, I'm sure it's the alternative. 

(You're likely spot on Bob, is Ged Roddy known for his negotiating skills?)
    I don't think negotiating skills is the issue (there would/should be lawyers for the club involved at that stage) - it might be that Roddy has an opinion on the player that differs from NA/SG - that's a big issue. The CEO should be the deal maker, not the selector.
    At the risk of playing devils advocate here, is there any actual proof that Roddy is any way interfering with the transfer process?

Obviously people aren't happy with what's happening and understandably so but it doesn't sit right to speculating that this is somehow Roddy's fault when for all we know it's nothing to do with him.
    Nope - which is why I said 'might be'.
  • Leuth said:
    Clare played really well in his one league game for us and I'm already seeing him be written off. Ludicrous 
    Agreed, thought him and Dobson look a good pairing in the middle and without trying to single out one of our own, i think if we add a bit of quality where Albie is (Personal opinion maybe) we would be sorted in the middle, Gilbey might be a factor if he is due back anytime soon there is probably less need to go out and get someone. Morgan isn't terrible just feel he lacks that cutting edge and composure, i would love him to prove me wrong but for now he should be a back up
  • edited August 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    Quiet enjoying the revisionism of the RD era
    Grass was always greener on the other side springs to mind. 
    In retrospect players like Yoni Buyons, JBG, Vetokeke, Teixeira, Bulot & Watt were a damn sight better than Clare & Dobson. 
    Peak Golfie this. 
    It is, but it's not wrong for any of those players. 

I'm not about to go celebrating Roland's achievements with the club though! The guy was an absolute maniac. 
    Well we've seen two competitive matches from Dobson and Clare who are 23 and 24 respectively. How the hell can you even judge that the other players are a 'damn sight' better? 

Also how successful have those players careers been with the exception of JBG since they left Charlton?

He also fails to mention all the guff we signed under Roland as well.
  • Rothko said:
    In retrospect players like Yoni Buyons, JBG, Vetokeke, Teixeira, Bulot & Watt were a damn sight better than Clare & Dobson. 
    Probably cos they were signed whilst we were in the Championship on inflated wages.

Do we really have a full day of this nonsense?
    Replace those names with Cullen, Bielik, Taylor, Williams.

Point still stands - it’s easy to pile in on Golfie but in this case he has a point.

At present Clare and Dobson are nowhere near that calibre…. On paper someone like Kirk would be closer but we would need another 5-6 of him.
  • RedRobin said:
    Jesus, we just need some positive news and clearly none to say. Even Bowyer would say yeah we’ve had one in today or potentially one in by Saturday, working on it, but we get zilch from Adkins. 
    We get zilch from Adkins?
    Absolute tosh.
  • Croydon said:
    The longer we leave it, the more I worry that we'll just have to get bodies in for the sake of it. Another window of Matt Smith v1 and David Davis.
    My worry is that right at the end of the window we'll end up with our version of Man U under Moyes buying Fellaini for a ridiculous price, because we're desperate to buy someone, indeed anyone
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Probably cos they were signed whilst we were in the Championship on inflated wages.

Do we really have a full day of this nonsense?
    Replace those names with Cullen, Bielik, Taylor, Williams.

Point still stands - it’s easy to pile in on Golfie but in this case he has a point.

At present Clare and Dobson are nowhere near that calibre…. On paper someone like Kirk would be closer but we would need another 5-6 of him.
    He will have a point at the end of the transfer window, IF we don’t sign players good enough to try and get us out of this division. Comparing Dobson and Clare who have signed for a League One club with a sensible owner to Gudmonnson and Vetekole, who were signed under a madman and his cat weasel CEO in the Championship is ludicrous and does absolutely nothing to get people thinking anything different that he’s just a miserable sod.

• Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Which of those were signed in league one?
    Taylor, Cullen, Bielik, Williams…. Even Jamie Ward and Billy Clarke 
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    They weren't on his list? Point being, he's comparing two signings in a league one window to a series of signings made in the championship.

As for the players you've just listed

Cullen and Bielik were loans

Taylor was a great signing on a free.

Williams is shit.
  • Rothko said:
    You've named the 6 good signings under the rat, there's at least 4 times as many woeful players and none of them were signed in League 1....
  • edited August 2021
    What’s your take @LouisMend on the lack of transfers? 
    Is it because we’re waiting for prices to drop/clubs to get desperate and deal, as has been mooted, or is there something amiss like TS now not wanting to spend/too many people involved in the sign off of targets? 
  • Said it before that I thought the rebuild would need to take a few windows. Build a real quality first eleven and decent alternatives. Much prefer signing two really good players each window and getting there over three windows. Fill in gaps with loans until the quality is reached. 
  • thenewbie said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I don't think negotiating skills is the issue (there would/should be lawyers for the club involved at that stage) - it might be that Roddy has an opinion on the player that differs from NA/SG - that's a big issue. The CEO should be the deal maker, not the selector.
    At the risk of playing devils advocate here, is there any actual proof that Roddy is any way interfering with the transfer process?

Obviously people aren't happy with what's happening and understandably so but it doesn't sit right to speculating that this is somehow Roddy's fault when for all we know it's nothing to do with him.
    NA has said its Ged Roddys recruitment team and Steve Gallen negotiates with players agents and clubs
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    They weren't on his list? Point being, he's comparing two signing in one league one window to a series of signing made in the championship.

As for the players you've just listed.

Williams is shit.
    I’d still have Williams back like a shot . We are desperate for some creativity in this current  midfield. 
    I don't think he's creative. He's got 6 assists in three seasons. And his goalscoring record doesn't need mentioning. People get more assists and goals from full-back positions.
    Plus I thought we were done with signing injury prone journey men?
  • thenewbie said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:

NA has said its Ged Roddys recruitment team and Steve Gallen negotiates with players agents and clubs
    Not questioning whether GR is involved - he clearly is. But I am a little bit wary about the mentality that some people seem to think that the lack of business is specifically due to something he's doing or not doing which seems speculative at best.
  • edited August 2021
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    They weren't on his list? Point being, he's comparing two signing in one league one window to a series of signing made in the championship.

As for the players you've just listed.

Williams is shit.
    I’d still have Williams back like a shot . We are desperate for some creativity in this current  midfield. 
    I don't think he's creative. He's got 6 assists in three seasons. And his goalscoring record doesn't need mentioning. People get more assists and goals from full-back positions.
    All that’s true but he would still get in this current team .That’s a damning critique of the current first team . realistically I wouldn’t want him back either .  
  • Just because Golfie is bigging up Roland... Here's his first three years ins and outs for the first team squad - because I got bored. It seems having loads of players doesn't guarantee success at all! 

Care free signings are as dangerous as too few. 

(Free= Free or undisclosed)

13/14 - Survived Relegation

From JANUARY ONLY

Players signed
    From Standard Liege
    Anil Koc (Free)
    Reza Ghoochannejhad (Free)
    Astrit Ajdarevic (L)
    Yohann Thuram (Free)

From Ujpest 
    Loic Nego (Free)

From outside the Network
    Davide Petrucci (L)
    Jonathan Obika (L)
    Marcus Tudgay (L)
    Piotr Parzyszek - De Graafschap

Players Out:
    Ben Alnwick 
    Dale Stephens
    Yann Kermorgant
    Danny Hollands (L)

14/15 - 12th Championship

Players signed:
    From Standard Liege
    George Tucudean (£720k - but not really)
    Yoni Buyens (Loan)
    Frederic Bulot (Loan)
    Tal Ben Haim (Free) 
    Tony Watt (Free)

From Ujpest 
    Marko Dmitrovic (Free)

From outside the Network
    Igor Vetokele (£2.7m)
    Johann Berg Gudmundsson (Free)
    Andre Kikey (Free)
    Stephen Henderson (Free) 
    Franck Moussa (Free)
    Francis Coquelin (Loan)
    Roger Johnson (Free)
    Milos Veljkovic (Free) 
    Cristophe LePoint (Free)
    Oguchi Onyewu (F) 
    Chris Eagles (F)

Players out:
    Cedric Evina (Free)
    Dorian Dervite (Free)
    Ben Hamer (Free)
    Richard Wood (Free)
    Jordan Cook (Free)
    Bradley Pritchard (Free)
    Andy Hughes (Free)
    Loic Nego (Loan)
    Danny Green (Free)
    Danny Hollands (Free)
    Diego Poyet (?)
    Michael Morrison (?)

15/16 - Relegated 

Players signed:
    From Standard Liege
    Jorge Teixeira £450k (Not really)

From outside the Network
    Naby Sarr £1.8m
    Patrick Bauer £1.35m
    El Hadji Ba £450k
    Zakarya Bergdich £225k
    Christian Ceballos (F)
    Seok Yeung Yun (L)
    Conor McAleny (L)
    Roger Johnson (F)
    Rhys Williams (L)
    Rod Fanni  (L)
    Simon Makienok (L)?
    Ahmed Kashi (?)
    Diego Poyet (L)
    Yaya Sanogo (L)
    Ricardo Vaz Te (F)

Players sold:
    Joe Gomez £4.4m
    Rhoys Wiggins £900k
    Simon Church (F)
    Neil Etheridge (F)
    Tal Ben Haim (F)
    Roger Johnson (F)
    Lawrie Wilson (F)
    Ricardo Vaz Te (F)
    Piotr Parzyszek (F)
    Christoph LePoint (F) - Re-entered the network
    Loic Nego (F)
    Andre Bikey (R)
    Chris Eagles (R)
    Oguchi Onyewu (R)

• bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Here's how ( I think) Transfers may be working. 

Adkins suggests the kind of players he needs, gives the requirements of what they MUST have and probably even names some that do the job of such players. 
    Gallen goes out, taps up contacts and uses his relationships to find players that match Adkins requirements - Comes back to Adkins to check suitability
    When NA & SG are happy I'd hope it was straight to Sandgaard, but I fear this is where Roddy steps in. I don't get what he does, but he basically has to also ratify the signing before it can get to Sandgaard. Maybe he's acting as some sort of buffer to ensure we don't put forward signings over a certain price that don't add enough resale value etc?
    When it gets to Sandgaard I would assume the case is put forward on what the player brings, what their resale potential might be, how much we might need to spend to get them and whether they may or may not be able to make the step up. 

Alternative
    The other thing that may occur is you roll up the meetings where Gallen comes back to a 4-way between Adkins, Gallen, Roddy & Sandgaard and they thrash it out whilst chugging Monster's and listening to rap metal. 
    In my experience, this is how it should work.

1. Owner (TS) sets the budget (transfer fee and wages)
    2. Manager (NA) tells head of recruitment (SG) who/what he wants.
    3. Head of recruitment draws up a shortlist
    4. Manager reviews shortlist and selects those he wants to pursue.
    5. Head of recruitment asks current club for permission to talk to player (yes, I know!!).
    6. If player is interested the CEO (we don't have one but it could be Roddy in this instance) negotiates with player/club/agent within the confines of the budgets set in 1) above.
    7. If agreement (within budget) is reached then player signs).
    8. If agreement cannot be reached but manager wants to pursue further then CEO discusses budget with owner. If it can be increased then repeat 6) and 7).
    9. If no agreement reached within an acceptable budget then all parties move on.   

For us point 6 may be the issue.
    Chairman gives SG the budget … NA gives SG the list of top targets then most likey a back up list .. SG then starts the long road of talking to agents finding out 1-If there player interested in joining , what’s the situation at his club 2- what salary he in now and what salary and contract they looking for 3- If that’s acceptable make offer to club … 

SG would have had the top targets before the season ended and his team would have scouted the players few times spoke to various people about them ie what they like away from the pitch etc etc 

Alan Curbishley once said from the moment they identify a target it can take 6/12 months to do your homework on that player and do a deal … 

Peterbro chairman said it took 3 months to sign the Exeter player …. clearly social media has not helped with all the rumours and whispers back in the day there was no SKY no internet and transfer happened when they happened that was the first a fan heard about it … 
  • Scoham said:
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Here's how ( I think) Transfers may be working. 

Adkins suggests the kind of players he needs, gives the requirements of what they MUST have and probably even names some that do the job of such players. 
    Gallen goes out, taps up contacts and uses his relationships to find players that match Adkins requirements - Comes back to Adkins to check suitability
    When NA & SG are happy I'd hope it was straight to Sandgaard, but I fear this is where Roddy steps in. I don't get what he does, but he basically has to also ratify the signing before it can get to Sandgaard. Maybe he's acting as some sort of buffer to ensure we don't put forward signings over a certain price that don't add enough resale value etc?
    When it gets to Sandgaard I would assume the case is put forward on what the player brings, what their resale potential might be, how much we might need to spend to get them and whether they may or may not be able to make the step up. 

Alternative
    The other thing that may occur is you roll up the meetings where Gallen comes back to a 4-way between Adkins, Gallen, Roddy & Sandgaard and they thrash it out whilst chugging Monster's and listening to rap metal. 
    In my experience, this is how it should work.

1. Owner (TS) sets the budget (transfer fee and wages)
    2. Manager (NA) tells head of recruitment (SG) who/what he wants.
    3. Head of recruitment draws up a shortlist
    4. Manager reviews shortlist and selects those he wants to pursue.
    5. Head of recruitment asks current club for permission to talk to player (yes, I know!!).
    6. If player is interested the CEO (we don't have one but it could be Roddy in this instance) negotiates with player/club/agent within the confines of the budgets set in 1) above.
    7. If agreement (within budget) is reached then player signs).
    8. If agreement cannot be reached but manager wants to pursue further then CEO discusses budget with owner. If it can be increased then repeat 6) and 7).
    9. If no agreement reached within an acceptable budget then all parties move on.   

For us point 6 may be the issue.
    Unless things have changed Gallen does the negotiating?
    Gallen always done and still is the person who talks to players and agents 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!