Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Some absolute twat in extra time walked down the stairs behind the dugout and shouted “Adkins sign some fucking player”
    Surprised it was only one person and not the entire crowd.
    Fair comment. 1 shot on target in 2 games. 0 goals. It's awful. I don't blame someone doing that.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    It's painfully clear that the current squad is nowhere good enough to challenge for promotion ... either automatic or via the play-offs.

Yes, we have some time to improve the squad, but we've left ourselves a lot to do.

Even with what we have, we look like a hoofball team aiming for Stockley's head. 

OK, so that's Plan A.  There is no apparent Plan B.

Is the honeymoon over for Sandgaard?   Yes, he has saved the Club.  But he has shot himself in the foot with the fine words about reaching the Premier League in five years.

If we believe what we read, we also committed to a £500k per year rental agreement with Duchatelet for the next 15 years.  Nice.  And someone else with have to deal with the consequences when that agreement comes to an end.

No significant investment in what was going to be a Summer of Love where we built a squad to "blow it out of this division."

Sandgaard seems to be a nice guy, with honourable intent.  But I sense that the cost of his dreams is now dawning upon him ... and he's coming up short.

Football is not a place to make money, Thomas.  In fact, the opposite.  

If you want into this, you have to do better.
    To play devil's advocate 
    Ipswich are throwing money about and bought a lot but not winning either 
    Lincoln proved last season that you can compete in this league without spending too much. Tom may be saving his money for until we get to the Championship. Then he spunkz it all and gambles. 
    That's the feeling I get from the guy. 
    Maybe he is buying Premium Bonds?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    It's painfully clear that the current squad is nowhere good enough to challenge for promotion ... either automatic or via the play-offs.

Yes, we have some time to improve the squad, but we've left ourselves a lot to do.

Even with what we have, we look like a hoofball team aiming for Stockley's head. 

Is the honeymoon over for Sandgaard?   Yes, he has saved the Club.  But he has shot himself in the foot with the fine words about reaching the Premier League in five years.

If we believe what we read, we also committed to a £500k per year rental agreement with Duchatelet for the next 15 years.  Nice.  And someone else with have to deal with the consequences when that agreement comes to an end.

No significant investment in what was going to be a Summer of Love where we built a squad to "blow it out of this division."

Sandgaard seems to be a nice guy, with honourable intent.  But I sense that the cost of his dreams is now dawning upon him ... and he's coming up short.

To play devil's advocate 
    Lincoln proved last season that you can compete in this league without spending too much. Tom may be saving his money for until we get to the Championship. Then he spunkz it all and gambles. 
    Lincoln didn't spend a lot BUT they brought in (and released) a lot of players. That was a new team moulded by Appleton
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 
    Don't get it mate?
  • Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 
    We aint getting anywhere near the Championship without significant investment.

Our academy's best prospects have been taken year on year and we are left with the lesser prospects. Our professional squad lacks any stand out players.

We have signed 2 league 1 cast offs in midfield who may improve. Stockley is a good signing but needs to play in a 2. He doesn't score enough to play up top on his own.

Our 20/21/22 year old players aren't good enough. 
  • Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 
    Lincoln didn't spend a lot BUT they brought in (and released) a lot of players. That was a new team moulded by Appleton
    So I think we agree that Lincoln competed without spending a lot.
  • Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 
    I would also say that they had a much better starting squad than us. 
  • cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

Our academy's best prospects have been taken year on year and we are left with the lesser prospects. Our professional squad lacks any stand out players.

We have signed 2 league 1 cast offs in midfield who may improve. Stockley is a good signing but needs to play in a 2. He doesn't score enough to play up top on his own.

Significant investment is a phrase I'm not comfortable with. It seems to be an excuse to pressure owners to spend to keep up with others.
  • Sponsored links:

• cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

Significant investment is a phrase I'm not comfortable with. It seems to be an excuse to pressure owners to spend to keep up with others.
    It is a term to state how much investment we need in this squad of players.  I dont think for a second we should be paying lads 10k a week in this league or spending fortunes but we need significant investment in the playing squad. We aren't close to having a competitive squad so it's significant.
  • cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

Or to turn an inadequate squad into a competitive one.
  • cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

It is a term to state how much investment we need in this squad of players.  I dont think for a second we should be paying lads 10k a week in this league or spending fortunes but we need significant investment in the playing squad. We aren't close to having a competitive squad so it's significant.
    We payed our players a lot more than Lincoln last season and they done well.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 
    Don't get it mate?
    Just a wild idea as to how 'Tom' maybe investing his money in alternative schemes.

Could have said 'cryptos' ... but that would be ridiculous.
  • sam3110 said:
    I've said it so many times and I'll say it again, the likes of Clayden, Ghandour, Barker, Elewere and Roddy are nowhere near good enough to be squad players, not yet. 

People who point to other youngsters who stepped up like Doughty, Aribo, Lookman, Shelvey, Gomez, Konsa, Cousins etc. miss the point. They were all earmarked in the youth squads, and when they played mens football they stood out, even against senior pros. Nothing against the lads we have in the academy right now, but none of them stand out in men's football, and if they do it's for the wrong reasons. 

We need:

McGillivray, New GK
    Matthews, Gunter
    Inniss, New RCB
    Famewo, Pearce
    New LB, Purrington
    Dobson, Watson
    Gilbey, Clare
    New CAM, Morgan
    Jaiyesimi, New RW
    New LW, Washington
    Stockley, Davidson
    New ST, Schwartz

With JFC a bit of a wildcard as we don't know when he'll be back
    Don’t think we’ll be signing two wingers. Probably one dedicated left winger and then someone who can play across the three behind Stockley.
  • I've always been a fan of having local hungry kids playing for a team they support. I know that ain't happening anymore for us and it's making me sadder as days go by.
    If you cant get hungry local kids then expand your scouting and get hungry kids.
  • cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

I am not sure what you mean here. I love the Defence and Keeper - maybe another left back. The midfield is not great. We also desperately need wingers and a goal scorer.

• cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

I am not sure what you mean here. I love the Defence and Keeper - maybe another left back. The midfield is not great. We also desperately need wingers and a goal scorer.

Sorry was using Lincoln as an example that overhauled their squad well.
    We chose to pay big wages for Watson Gunter Matthews and countless others. 
    I'd rather us try our youngsters than pay these wallies money. 
    I'm in a minority I know mate.
  • cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

Got ya. I am all for our youngsters if they are good enough but I feel we have a poor crop at moment. Deji looks a prospect. Not much else there for me unfortunately.

I agree we should never have signed Gunter Watson and other similar.
  • cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

If they were League One quality we would. 

They aren't outside of 1 or 2 as backups. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

Got ya. I am all for our youngsters if they are good enough but I feel we have a poor crop at moment. Deji looks a prospect. Not much else there for me unfortunately.

You may be right they ain't good enough. But our catchment area and academy has shown we do produce some very decent players. Find it hard to believe that only Doughty has the ability to progress.  Lee didn't play youngsters unless his hands were tied. I think that was a mistake.
    Let's hope Nigel doesn't do the same.
    There is a new Alex Ferguson documentary on Amazon if you are able to see it it it's very good. He talks about how he chose young players it was fascinating.
  • cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    cs1986 said:
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 

You may be right they ain't good enough. But our catchment area and academy has shown we do produce some very decent players. Find it hard to believe that only Doughty has the ability to progress.  Lee didn't play youngsters unless his hands were tied. I think that was a mistake.
    Let's hope Nigel doesn't do the same.
    There is a new Alex Ferguson documentary on Amazon if you are able to see it it it's very good. He talks about how he chose young players it was fascinating.
    Our academy is generally fantastic I just feel its been picked to pieces the last few years and the best prospects taken elsewhere. I felt Bowyer should of played Barker more last year I liked the look of him but he's knowhere to be seen this year.  I will give it a watch thanks that sounds right up my street. 
  • Billyboy said:
    I think ged roddy is pulling the strings in recruitment, and that frightens me, and can see gallen and adkins being right pissed off about it,, even his son shouldn't be anywhere near the team either... just my opinion
    That is not the case SG is head man in the recruitment set up … and SG has said many times his recruitment team are working hard behind the scenes….

So sg scouted get roddys son, I'm sure he probably wasn't on sg or na radar to be honest 
  • bobmunro said:
    what is a DM and is it eight or ten holes?
    ?? That has gone straight over my head B)
    Think footwear!
    DOH..OK, what am I like..!!, so obvious, thing is Oxblood or Black!!
    or Cherry red :)
  • Massimo Luongo ex Spurs/QPR midfielder possibly available, Steve Gallen should know, Luongos wife from South London , likes Charlton. Maybe to much money for us .
  • edited August 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

To play devil's advocate 
    Lincoln got their squad together plenty in advance.  No untried kids. I'm not askimg us to spend loads of money but we need first team players!!!
  • One thing I would like to know, where is our bigger playing budget than last season being spent? As TS said in a recent interview. He must read social media, and likely the forums, he must be feeling a bit of pressure..?

In the words of Bowyer ‘we need some help’ 

Listening to NA interviews, he does t sound confident that we are going to get the required players in. Certainly seems an issue with getting the deals over the line.

Kirk deal does sound like a bit of bad luck on our side, but I think we will get that over the line when Charlie is ready, as he is going through a terrible tough time.

Heard Gomes was offered 1 year deal, which was verbally agreed, then the terms changed to what was verbally agreed. This why it broke down. Hopefully we can bring someone in better to be honest.. but running out of options now.

it is also worrying when a club like AFC Wimbledon have more depth and strength than us. They made 9 changes, and by all accounts deserved the win! 
  • Scoham said:

Proper "Go away and don't ask me this question" response.
    Would have expected something more hopeful - especially from Adkins.

Still need to sign the same missing links, sadly, the u23's that were deemed good enough in preseason to be on the bench, just aren't, the pizza paint pot cup sure, and, yeah last night, go for it.

Not particularly confident we'll bring in the right number and quality but, oh well, at least everyone else has had a sh!t window I guess.
  • Chunes said:
    The way we're going about things seems risky. There is no margin for error on deadline day. Things can go terribly wrong.

It's surely worth us paying a premium on 1-2 core, first-team players and getting them through the door now.
    Absolutely. And why are we doing it this way? To bag the best players who are allegedly being blocked by clubs, holding us to ransom on fees? Hmmm. That’s the transfer business. It hasn’t stopped Portsmouth, Wigan or Ipswich from signing quality players. I’m not saying Thomas is Jeff Bezos - but he isn’t skint either.
    This isn’t the recruitment drive of a man who said he wants to rip up the league. 
    To me it feels like something is off or has changed. It might not be a big thing but we simply should have more players in by now. We need at least 6 quality players, not ‘bodies’ as it keeps being referred to. We need experienced, starting 11-ready signings - and personally I don’t think the bulk of those should be loans. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!