Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Gomes will do a job for us, and is perhaps a worrying sign of how badly Gilbey and Watson has been affected by Covid

Hard to get too excited about someone released by Doncaster, and rejected by Pompey though. Especially as if we have given him a contract, it's at the last minute before the season starts, which hardly suggests NA is super excited by him
    McGillivray was effectively let go my Pompey, so that must make him a poor player. 

You do need water carriers in a squad to get you through a season, it can't be all exciting signings, whatever they are at League 1 level
  • lolwray said:
    bobmunro said:
    OK - enough of the doom and gloom, Star Trek puns and the like.

Dobson and Clare improve the squad - Stockley now OUR player - Famewo back and possibly a permanent future player for us - Clayden and Barker look like they can step up - Morgan will finally get the chance to prove what a very good player he is - Elerewe looks a talent - Henry and probably a few others from the academy could add something as well. There is nothing wrong with youth coming through at this level, and NA/SG see them on the training ground everyday - maybe they are looking elsewhere and not seeing anything that would add more than some of the academy boys. 'You can't win anything with kids' - yes, thank you Alan - that aged well.

I also expect at least two perms (maybe this week) and 3 or 4 loans before the window closes.

This is a f*cking pub league - we have the players to help us escape.

I know it's the hope that kills but I genuinely feel that we will be key challengers for the automatics and nailed on for the play-offs. Adkins is the right man, I'm convinced of that - and a full season of him in charge will give him the chance to prove that.

Keep the faith!
    Almost Henry V 
    On, on, you noblest Addicks.
  • RedChaser said:
    MG is a Spanish youth international, left footed, can play full back or wide left as well as midfield. Made 40 league appearances for Donny last season what’s not to like.
    40 appearance in TWO seasons
    Alright alright no need to SHOUT! It was already edited before you posted 🤓
  • edited August 2021
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    MG is a Spanish youth international, left footed, can play full back or wide left as well as midfield. Made 40 league appearances for Donny last season what’s not to like.
    Alright alright no need to SHOUT! It was already edited before you posted 🤓
    Editing can be a pain in the arse sometimes, don't matter how quick you are, the chances are someone will read the original before you have a chance to amend, maybe a time lapse before a reply can be posted ?. certainly happened to me a few times also.
  • edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    Gomes will do a job for us, and is perhaps a worrying sign of how badly Gilbey and Watson has been affected by Covid

Hard to get too excited about someone released by Doncaster, and rejected by Pompey though. Especially as if we have given him a contract, it's at the last minute before the season starts, which hardly suggests NA is super excited by him
    McGillivray was effectively let go my Pompey, so that must make him a poor player. 

You do need water carriers in a squad to get you through a season, it can't be all exciting signings, whatever they are at League 1 level
    Very much this^^^👍. Don’t think anyone is saying he’d be a marquee signing.
  • Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Gomes will do a job for us, and is perhaps a worrying sign of how badly Gilbey and Watson has been affected by Covid

MacGillivray had a contract-mandated bump in his wages which Pompey didn't want to pay. He was also their POTY last year so he wasn't just let go.
    The Cowley's made a call to let him go. People do need to be consistent 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Been reported elsewhere that someone at the club has confirmed we've had two of our top targets agree to sign but we're still yet to agree on fees with their respective clubs. 
    Isn't that referred to as "tapping up"
    Only when it happens to us 😉👍
  • edited August 2021
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Because other clubs have incomplete squads that's ok is it?

I want us to WIN this league so I want us to have the best squad.

Currently we don't. 

I genuinely don't care about other clubs.  Our owner made strong comments at the end of last season and I trust him and are glad we have him.

But we don't have a fit left back and NO left midfielder. 

Totally unbalanced.   I'm not saying our squad should be finished by now but come on now.  We've needed both these positions in cover and first choice since our last two loanees in those positions left!
    If you don't care about other clubs how can you rate our squad? 

What are you comparing it to?  Powell's, Bowyer's, Curbishley's, Man City, Peps Barca, Brazil 1970?

Its not a pub league, but we don't have a pub team. 
    Because I don't care about them, I can still rate them!

You completely avoid my point about the lack of any fit or signed left sided players.  

Or do you only care to answer the parts that are easy to have an opinion on?

Does anybody really think we should be starting the season with no left back and no left midfielder?

Washington is very likely to play down the wing in a 433 this season so not sure the lack of a left midfielder is a major issue. I would have liked another defender and winger in time for Saturday though admittedly. I think the CB, CM, another winger and striker can wait a week or two, but disappointed we have (so far) failed to add another two. 
    Again answer the question. 

Do you think we should be starting the season with Gunther at left back and Washington, out of position, as our only real option to play left hand side?

Totally agree with the left back situation, not on Washington as he's likely to play a lot more at LW than as a striker this season. At the moment, I'm not 100% convinced he can be effective there, but that's where he's going to be playing so I'll judge later. So in terms of the way Adkins is viewing us this season, he's not out of position.
    If Washington is left winger then I’m Donald Duck. Yes I’m sure he can do a job there on occasion but he hasn’t got the skill set or physique to naturally do consistently well in that role. If we’re serious about promotion then we need two players competing for each spot not shoving someone into a role because there’s no one else. As for left back. I was hoping that Purrington was going to be cover there this season. Now we’re all praying his injury isn’t serious because he’s all we have. No amount of whitewash is going to convince me that up until the first game of the season on Saturday our recruitment has been much lacking.
    I mean what utter garbage regarding Washington's physique. He is electrically quick and if you remember when he played wide in the winning streak in the first half of the season was still sprinting back to defend at 89 minutes when everyone else was dead on their feet.

Don't get me wrong i would prefer him in a support strikers role and maybe can't point to a crossing ability, but you are quackers with that statement!
    Electrically quick lol, although he is compared to me.
    He's got a good turn of speed but he's no Rommedahl.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

I genuinely don't care about other clubs.  Our owner made strong comments at the end of last season and I trust him and are glad we have him.

Totally unbalanced.   I'm not saying our squad should be finished by now but come on now.  We've needed both these positions in cover and first choice since our last two loanees in those positions left!

What are you comparing it to?  Powell's, Bowyer's, Curbishley's, Man City, Peps Barca, Brazil 1970?

You completely avoid my point about the lack of any fit or signed left sided players.  

Does anybody really think we should be starting the season with no left back and no left midfielder?

Washington is very likely to play down the wing in a 433 this season so not sure the lack of a left midfielder is a major issue. I would have liked another defender and winger in time for Saturday though admittedly. I think the CB, CM, another winger and striker can wait a week or two, but disappointed we have (so far) failed to add another two. 

Do you think we should be starting the season with Gunther at left back and Washington, out of position, as our only real option to play left hand side?

Totally agree with the left back situation, not on Washington as he's likely to play a lot more at LW than as a striker this season. At the moment, I'm not 100% convinced he can be effective there, but that's where he's going to be playing so I'll judge later. So in terms of the way Adkins is viewing us this season, he's not out of position.
    If Washington is left winger then I’m Donald Duck. Yes I’m sure he can do a job there on occasion but he hasn’t got the skill set or physique to naturally do consistently well in that role. If we’re serious about promotion then we need two players competing for each spot not shoving someone into a role because there’s no one else. As for left back. I was hoping that Purrington was going to be cover there this season. Now we’re all praying his injury isn’t serious because he’s all we have. No amount of whitewash is going to convince me that up until the first game of the season on Saturday our recruitment has been much lacking.
    I mean what utter garbage regarding Washington's physique. He is electrically quick and if you remember when he played wide in the winning streak in the first half of the season was still sprinting back to defend at 89 minutes when everyone else was dead on their feet.

Don't get me wrong i would prefer him in a support strikers role and maybe can't point to a crossing ability, but you are quackers with that statement!
    "Electrically quick"? Please change your username 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Gomes is decent cover but doesn't improve the first 11. And it still needs improving. 
    You might be right, but I’ll delay judgement until he’s made a few appearances for the first team, if he signs. He looked decent in the PSFs, but who knows how fit he was coming into them. The only thing I didn’t like was that he didn’t work that hard defensively, but perhaps that was a fitness issue. He might even improve, and Gallen and Adkins will have seen something in him they like or they wouldn’t have signed him. 
    That’s my glass half full view at least. Subject to change :-)
    Gomes is yet another player deemed not good enough for a team miles below where we need to be looking at finishing. Now some of these may well work out but it’s gonna take a hell of a lot of luck to hit the jackpot with every single one of them. When we won the title - likes of Stephens, Hollands, Wiggins, Taylor, Green, Evina were all considered key players for teams around our level. We need to be looking much higher to follow up on our stated ambitions for this season
  • edited August 2021
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Electrically quick lol, although he is compared to me.
    He's got a good turn of speed but he's no Rommedahl.
    Run, Forest  Dennis, Run! 😁
  • Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:

MacGillivray had a contract-mandated bump in his wages which Pompey didn't want to pay. He was also their POTY last year so he wasn't just let go.
    yes they did but it was for budgetary reasons.
  • bobmunro said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Doughty was electrically quick for us, Washington is not. He’s mobile but can’t regularly beat players with pace in the way a player like Doughty can.
    The first yard is in the head, and I would argue Washington is a better decision maker than Doughty (but Alfie will learn).
    I don’t disagree on decision making, but that’s common in quick players, naturally they have to take risks to make use of their pace. It’s a great threat to have in your side regardless of any mistakes they make. Clayden looks like he could be a decent replacement for Doughty.
  • edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:

Yes but if we're being honest 'effectively let go by Pompey' comes across very different to the actual situation of 'Cowley didn't want to pay increased wages to keep their 2021 POTY'.
    It's odd to me that you'd want to put a negative spin on us signing a competitor's POTY.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Then where is he going to play this season? I'm not saying I disagree (although I think you were slightly harsh) but Washington will play there this season. I still think we'll sign two wingers though so will have options. 
    It wasn’t meant to be harsh on Washington at all. I like him. He’s a grafter and will chip in with a decent goal return. I just don’t think he’s a winger. Certainly not “electrically quick”. That’s just a joke. His physique is upper body weight. He’s not slow but is hardly a tricky player. It’s not going to be either pace or ball skills that get him past the full back. As for where he can play under Adkins 4-3-3 I don’t think he has a natural home. 
  • Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:

Yes but if we're being honest 'effectively let go by Pompey' comes across very different to the actual situation of 'Cowley didn't want to pay increased wages to keep their 2021 POTY'.
    It's odd to me that you'd want to put a negative spin on us signing a competitor's POTY.
    There’s no negativity, he’s an upgrade on what came before, just ‘letting him go’ means a lot of things, and saying it without context deserves calling out 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Gomes is decent cover but doesn't improve the first 11. And it still needs improving. 
    You might be right, but I’ll delay judgement until he’s made a few appearances for the first team, if he signs. He looked decent in the PSFs, but who knows how fit he was coming into them. The only thing I didn’t like was that he didn’t work that hard defensively, but perhaps that was a fitness issue. He might even improve, and Gallen and Adkins will have seen something in him they like or they wouldn’t have signed him. 
    That’s my glass half full view at least. Subject to change :-)
    Gomes is yet another player deemed not good enough for a team miles below where we need to be looking at finishing. Now some of these may well work out but it’s gonna take a hell of a lot of luck to hit the jackpot with every single one of them. When we won the title - likes of Stephens, Hollands, Wiggins, Taylor, Green, Evina were all considered key players for teams around our level. We need to be looking much higher to follow up on our stated ambitions for this season
    You forgot to mention Yann who CP brought back from the wilderness after the season had started 😯. This isn’t 2011/12, so much water has gone under the bridge since then we live in a much changed world.

It is what it is accept it, all the whinging, harping back and moaning ain’t gonna change a thing. Wait and see how things pan out over the first couple of months of the season then have a moan up if all’s not well in the state of Denmark I might even join you 😉.
  • RedChaser said:
    And nothing before then. 
  • Rothko said:
    Vfrf said:
    Rothko said:

What a bizarre spin to put on the situation
  • I tell you what if the Police carried out investigations half as well as some of our fans investigated rumoured signings, they’d solve a lot more crimes 😂  

Can’t say it isn’t entertaining though. 
  • edited August 2021
    RedChaser said:
    And nothing before then. 
    So? His pedigree was good Villarreal, Liverpool and Leeds as a youngster, some are late developers. It’s what he’s shown since he’s been on trial and he’s got some experience of the league. If the management feel he’s worth a contract I’ll go with their judgement thanks.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

Then where is he going to play this season? I'm not saying I disagree (although I think you were slightly harsh) but Washington will play there this season. I still think we'll sign two wingers though so will have options. 
    It wasn’t meant to be harsh on Washington at all. I like him. He’s a grafter and will chip in with a decent goal return. I just don’t think he’s a winger. Certainly not “electrically quick”. That’s just a joke. His physique is upper body weight. He’s not slow but is hardly a tricky player. It’s not going to be either pace or ball skills that get him past the full back. As for where he can play under Adkins 4-3-3 I don’t think he has a natural home. 
    Fair points, agree he's not electrically quick. I think he'll do ok in a 433, not every winger has to beat a full back, I don't see it being a problem as long as we have others who can do that. DJ can and we'll definitely be signing another winger or two. 
  • edited August 2021
    We can dissect the merits or otherwise of Conor all day long but I do know that he wasn’t signed as a left winger, wasn’t playing left wing for his previous clubs and if we had a proper left winger he wouldn’t be playing there for us either. He’s a good footballer with lots of good attributes and I’m glad we have him at the club but nothing will convince me otherwise that he’s only playing wide left because we have no other options.

• Hey, 248 unread posts waiting for me this morning. Haven't got time to read through them all right now.

I'm excited. Who are we signing ?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!