Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:

Hey, 248 unread posts waiting for me this morning. Haven't got time to read through them all right now.

I'm excited. Who are we signing ?

Victor moses
    & Jesus Navas
  • We can dissect the merits or otherwise of Conor all day long but I do know that he wasn’t signed as a left winger, wasn’t playing left wing for his previous clubs and if we had a proper left winger he wouldn’t be playing there for us either. He’s a good footballer with lots of good attributes and I’m glad we have him at the club but nothing will convince me otherwise that he’s only playing wide left because we have no other options.
    It's nice to have different sort of players, I don't want all our attacking players to be similar. Washington offers something we don't currently have. I think the poster above makes some good points.
  • Oggy Red said:

Hey, 248 unread posts waiting for me this morning. Haven't got time to read through them all right now.

Gomes was signed on a 1 year deal yesterday but not announced (according to some).
  • We can dissect the merits or otherwise of Conor all day long but I do know that he wasn’t signed as a left winger, wasn’t playing left wing for his previous clubs and if we had a proper left winger he wouldn’t be playing there for us either. He’s a good footballer with lots of good attributes and I’m glad we have him at the club but nothing will convince me otherwise that he’s only playing wide left because we have no other options.
    It's nice to have different sort of players, I don't want all our attacking players to be similar. Washington offers something we don't currently have. I think the poster above makes some good points.
    He does.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:

Victor moses
    & Jesus Navas
    & Tammy Abraham 
  • RedChaser said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Because other clubs have incomplete squads that's ok is it?

I want us to WIN this league so I want us to have the best squad.

Currently we don't. 

I genuinely don't care about other clubs.  Our owner made strong comments at the end of last season and I trust him and are glad we have him.

But we don't have a fit left back and NO left midfielder. 

Totally unbalanced.   I'm not saying our squad should be finished by now but come on now.  We've needed both these positions in cover and first choice since our last two loanees in those positions left!
    If you don't care about other clubs how can you rate our squad? 

What are you comparing it to?  Powell's, Bowyer's, Curbishley's, Man City, Peps Barca, Brazil 1970?

Its not a pub league, but we don't have a pub team. 
    Because I don't care about them, I can still rate them!

You completely avoid my point about the lack of any fit or signed left sided players.  

Or do you only care to answer the parts that are easy to have an opinion on?

Does anybody really think we should be starting the season with no left back and no left midfielder?

Washington is very likely to play down the wing in a 433 this season so not sure the lack of a left midfielder is a major issue. I would have liked another defender and winger in time for Saturday though admittedly. I think the CB, CM, another winger and striker can wait a week or two, but disappointed we have (so far) failed to add another two. 
    Again answer the question. 

Do you think we should be starting the season with Gunther at left back and Washington, out of position, as our only real option to play left hand side?

Totally agree with the left back situation, not on Washington as he's likely to play a lot more at LW than as a striker this season. At the moment, I'm not 100% convinced he can be effective there, but that's where he's going to be playing so I'll judge later. So in terms of the way Adkins is viewing us this season, he's not out of position.
    If Washington is left winger then I’m Donald Duck. Yes I’m sure he can do a job there on occasion but he hasn’t got the skill set or physique to naturally do consistently well in that role. If we’re serious about promotion then we need two players competing for each spot not shoving someone into a role because there’s no one else. As for left back. I was hoping that Purrington was going to be cover there this season. Now we’re all praying his injury isn’t serious because he’s all we have. No amount of whitewash is going to convince me that up until the first game of the season on Saturday our recruitment has been much lacking.
    I mean what utter garbage regarding Washington's physique. He is electrically quick and if you remember when he played wide in the winning streak in the first half of the season was still sprinting back to defend at 89 minutes when everyone else was dead on their feet.

Don't get me wrong i would prefer him in a support strikers role and maybe can't point to a crossing ability, but you are quackers with that statement!
    Electrically quick lol, although he is compared to me.
    He's got a good turn of speed but he's no Rommedahl.
    Run, Forest  Dennis, Run! 😁
     Dennis was only consistently quick for Denmark.  That Dennis rarely appeared I a Charlton shirt sadly.
    Yes he did, the issue was he made a run and no-one would pass to him, so then he'd track back from offside and then someone would roll the ball to him, and he'd just pass it straight back and then have to catch his breath again before being able to make another run in behind, for no-one to pass it to him again. It was the most frustrating thing in the world to watch at times
  • I thought Ugbo was going to Genk for 5 million so I can’t see that one happening
  • If Gomes is announced today - here's some of his stats for last season:

Played 22 games

Started the first 8 games of the season scoring 3 and assisting 1 from CM. (All three goals in the first three games, including against us)

Missed a large chunk of the season through injury

Returned and made 4 more starts between 30th Jan and the end of the season. Was otherwise limited to cameos of around 20 mins. 

• Sponsored links:

• Madger has  had nearly a whole 90mins football in total and hasn't managed to make himself look a world class player.

We need a player who can set the league alight within 90 minutes as we know this is the maximum amount of time needed to settle into a new side.

45mins
    30mins
    15mins

Hes had his chance. 

Jokes aside I literally can't form an opinion on him so far, better than Pratley or Watson, I'd have swapped them in a heartbeat last season for anyone. 

• rumours at Chelsea understand either Ike Ugbo  and / or George Mceachran lined up for season loans at Charlton. Chelsea academy manager Andy Myers impressed how Gallacher and Maatsen have improved at the Valley in previous seasons. 
    Who they ? 
  • I’d be highly surprised with Ugbo. Genk, PSV and others are trying to sign him for around £5 million and he was on loan at Brugge in the Belgian pro league. So I think that’s a terrible rumour 
  • Dazzler21 said:NNot
    If Gomes is announced today - here's some of his stats for last season:

Played 22 games

Started the first 8 games of the season scoring 3 and assisting 1 from CM. (All three goals in the first three games, including against us)

Returned and made 4 more starts between 30th Jan and the end of the season. Was otherwise limited to cameos of around 20 mins. 

Not been impressed by Gomes at all I'm afraid.  Think we can do a lot better  .
  • Ugbo would be a big surprise given as others have mentioned he's been linked with moves to Europe. 

Mceachran I don't really know a lot about , assume he's a CM like his brother? 
  • Google Ugbo and if what comes up in the search is correct then we have zero chance of getting him.
  • rumours at Chelsea understand either Ike Ugbo  and / or George Mceachran lined up for season loans at Charlton. Chelsea academy manager Andy Myers impressed how Gallacher and Maatsen have improved at the Valley in previous seasons. 
    I would be supprised if we signed Mceachran on loan it's probably the last position we need.  Someone like Luke Badley-Morgan would be good although not a full back in the Da Silva or Maatsen mould. 
  • Dazzler21 said:NNot
    If Gomes is announced today - here's some of his stats for last season:

Played 22 games

Not been impressed by Gomes at all I'm afraid.  Think we can do a lot better  .
    At this point obviously not.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

I genuinely don't care about other clubs.  Our owner made strong comments at the end of last season and I trust him and are glad we have him.

Totally unbalanced.   I'm not saying our squad should be finished by now but come on now.  We've needed both these positions in cover and first choice since our last two loanees in those positions left!

What are you comparing it to?  Powell's, Bowyer's, Curbishley's, Man City, Peps Barca, Brazil 1970?

You completely avoid my point about the lack of any fit or signed left sided players.  

Does anybody really think we should be starting the season with no left back and no left midfielder?

Washington is very likely to play down the wing in a 433 this season so not sure the lack of a left midfielder is a major issue. I would have liked another defender and winger in time for Saturday though admittedly. I think the CB, CM, another winger and striker can wait a week or two, but disappointed we have (so far) failed to add another two. 

Do you think we should be starting the season with Gunther at left back and Washington, out of position, as our only real option to play left hand side?

Totally agree with the left back situation, not on Washington as he's likely to play a lot more at LW than as a striker this season. At the moment, I'm not 100% convinced he can be effective there, but that's where he's going to be playing so I'll judge later. So in terms of the way Adkins is viewing us this season, he's not out of position.
    If Washington is left winger then I’m Donald Duck. Yes I’m sure he can do a job there on occasion but he hasn’t got the skill set or physique to naturally do consistently well in that role. If we’re serious about promotion then we need two players competing for each spot not shoving someone into a role because there’s no one else. As for left back. I was hoping that Purrington was going to be cover there this season. Now we’re all praying his injury isn’t serious because he’s all we have. No amount of whitewash is going to convince me that up until the first game of the season on Saturday our recruitment has been much lacking.
    I mean what utter garbage regarding Washington's physique. He is electrically quick and if you remember when he played wide in the winning streak in the first half of the season was still sprinting back to defend at 89 minutes when everyone else was dead on their feet.

Don't get me wrong i would prefer him in a support strikers role and maybe can't point to a crossing ability, but you are quackers with that statement!
     Dennis was only consistently quick for Denmark.  That Dennis rarely appeared I a Charlton shirt sadly.
    He did when it mattered though . Dennis, in the last minute 👏🏻 
  • edited August 2021
    Just done some research on the Chelski lads.

Ike Ugbo is a forward with some decent interest as stated by Champs. He's 22 so should be big and strong enough to be thrown straight in. 

Played 15 games each for Scunthorpe and MK Dons scoring just 3 goals in those 30 games, but was a teenager at that point.

Last season he was at Cercle Brugge and scored 16 in 32.
    In the season before he was at Roda Kerkrade(?) and scored 13 in 28.

He has clearly developed an eye for goal. (He also came on for 1 minute in a cup game and scored)

George McEachran is a 20 year old CM that has had two loans to the Dutch league and only played 7 times out of 16 games he was available for.

• RedChaser said:
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:

Currently we don't. 

He did when it mattered though . Dennis, in the last minute 👏🏻 
    Full tilt "closed my eyes and hit it"
  • cfgs said:
    So Henderson or another coming in.
    Or Harness will be No.2

To be fair a loan was always going to be on the cards (and rightly so) for Ashley

Another season on the bench would have been awful for his development
  • Keeper, Gomes and a winger in, in the next 54 minutes (for registration for tomorrows game), I doubt it.

Harness and Clayden on the bench tomorrow then
  • 53 minutes left to sign for tomorrow.  Obviously you don't have to announce them.
  • Where was Henderson first linked on here? I remember it being mentioned, I might have to sift through the ashes and add the poster to the ITK list if it comes through. 
  • edited August 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Keeper, Gomes and a winger in, in the next 54 minutes (for registration for tomorrows game), I doubt it.

Harness and Clayden on the bench tomorrow then
    Unless someone has already joined and the Comms team are putting together all the jazzy photos / videos that we get when a player signs

That aint going to take them five minutes to put together

But yeah I'd be very surprised if Harness and Clayden arent on the bench tomorrow, the latter deserves it after his pre-season
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!