Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• _nam11 said:
    JordanJLD said:
    I believe Kyle maybe a little addicted to Charlton Life 
    Nick getting all emotional about a free transfer, of a player released from West Brom. I love this game.
    Tbf that’s football fans for you. We are getting all excited about two midfielders deemed not good enough by two league one sides so probably aren’t in a position to laugh at anyone else.
  • I recall many fans clamouring for a "marquee signing" at this time just before the season began many years ago. I can only assume the chief scout at the time was something of a literalist and pushed for a-player-that-resembled-a-marquee!                              

Altogether now "...Big fat, big fat Pete, Big fat, big fat Pete, big fat big fat Pete big fat Peter Garland"
  • Peterborough have had decent strikers for years and only managed to get promoted after about five attempts.

Meanwhile Hull had Josh Magennis spearheading their attack last season and they got promoted at the first time of asking.

Not denying we need more creative quality but I really believe the squad we’re putting together will surprise a few of the doom merchants.
    An anomaly, I would suggest and they still scored 80 goals .  Our team does not have goals all over the pitch - it will be reliant on Stockley and Washington - neither of whom have especially impressive goal records through their career.   
  • Washington is v average. Stockley - yes he will make double figures this season (that is .. no more than ten goals) and all the excitement over DJ is really OTT .... had a moderate effect penetrating ....Dartford ... last week! Once! None 9f these players would have made the Peterborough front line last season. I'd be ok if these were players we had in reserve but spearheading our attack? I think most defences will be very happy playing us next season.
    So is our bet on?
  • edited July 2021
    @ValleyOfTears Still interested to hear your points for why we should've kept Shinnie and Pratley
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    With Edwards being a complete non starter , I wonder who this winger target is? 
    It'll be Gomes
    That would be a touch disappointing with people saying it's someone we've been eyeing for a while. 
    Surely it's more likely to be Sims?
    Yeah Sims would fit the bill perfectly. As much as I'd like Kirk or Joel Randall there's no realistic chance of that 
    Why exactly  ??  If we aren't going to go for quality them who are we going for. Eisa was deemed not god enough for some on here bit then Kirk & Randall are too costly ?

cant have it both ways. 
    Maybe we will just sign these 2..

Is that a threesome?
  • edited July 2021
    We really have no idea how players will score/perform with a team made up of Adkins' players. Hopefully with more energetic midfielders we'll be playing a lot higher up the pitch, winning the ball a lot higher, the wingers will be getting into different positions, the full-backs pushing on... I'm sure there will be a surprise in who gets goals and how many. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 25 goals between Clare, Gilbey and DJ? We are just making things up here. Between them they would need to average over 8 goals

Clare scored one last year and never got more than 6 at Hearts last time he played in midfield.

Gilbey averaged about 4 per year at MK.

DJ has potential but it’s unproven.

It’s not negative - it’s just going on the data sample we have to hand. Which is more accurate than any assumptions 
    I would have to agree.  I’m hopeful about the squad NA is putting together as Callum mentioned, and we may surprise a few, but we won’t surprise anyone unless we add about 5/6 more players imo.  I’ve got massive reservations about Gilbey.  He had a reasonable end to the season, but seeing him prior to that, I thought he was awful.  I know there was talk of personal problems etc and I know they must have been hard for him, so that undoubtedly would’ve been a factor.  However, I am only going on what I saw on the pitch and even though he had a run under NA, I still wasn’t blown away.  I think DJ can be good, but he’s still an unknown quantity for me, so I can’t say either way.  I know nothing about Clare, other than I like his age, pace and mobility according to what I read on here.  If it equates to 25 goals then great.

There’s still work to be done.  A good example is Inniss.  Should be starting against Reading, and fingers crossed he can remain injury free.  If not, at the moment, it’s a choice between Pearce and the young lad.  Both have positive attributes to offer, and I am sure NA is on the hunt for another CB.  However, if we don’t get anyone in, Inniss remains in and out through injuries, you’ve suddenly got Pearce cracking up 30 games a season say, then I don’t think we get out of this division 

I’m pleased with how we’re tracking, but we need more 
  • Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
  • Not forgetting Doughty too!!
  • edited July 2021
    Speculation on how many goals players will score before we even know how the team is going to line up...god help us.

The best indicator of the likely accuracy of any of this is the observation I have seen that Bonne will score 20+ for Ipswich.

I anticipate that we will sorely regret not getting Bogle back whom I confidently expect will be a 25 goal scoring machine in Donaster Rovers record-breaking march to the automatics.
  • Speculation on how many goals players will score before we even know how the team is going to line up...god help us.

The best indicator of the likely accuracy of any of this is the observation I have seen that Bonne will score 20+ for Ipswich.

I anticipate that we will sorely regret not getting Bogle back whom I confidently expect will be a 25 goal scoring machine in Donaster Rovers record-breaking march to the automatics.
    Joking aside Bonne probably will score 20. We had him in the Championship and he got 9 or so.
    still wouldn’t want him back.
    I rate Washington. Don’t think he’ll hit 20 but what he does for the team is massively overlooked.
    stockley will score given the service.
    what we missed last year was goals from our midfield.
    with Pratley gone and Watson likely to be a sub, we’ll have the pace to get forward more. The likes of gilbey will then be able to get into shooting positions.
    We need additional bodies which nobody is denying but the loan market hasn’t really got going yet.
    the next Gallagher, Cullen or Bielik could yet be on the horizon.
  • sam3110 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
    But they weren't really unknowns, if you read reports on here from u18 matches etc then you saw how they were frequently described as the real deal and the future of Charlton etc etc. 

There's no-one in the youth setup right now that's being spoken of like that. 

If we regularly put out backline of Barker, Elewere, Pearce and Purrington, very possible if we don't recruit any more defenders and injuries come into play, you can forget winning the league. In fact you can probably kiss goodbye playoff ambitions too.

Yes, they have some potential, but they simply aren't good enough yet, and may never be unless they come along a lot in their development.

The same goes for regularly playing Clayden, Vennings and the like further up the pitch. A sub appearance here and there, fine, 15-20 starts in the season, we'll be struggling
    To an extent I agree but most hadn’t heard of any of these players until they got their chance.
    none I listed above were immediately thrown in at the deep end.
    They were subs. Doughty was at Bromley clearly not deemed as the real deal . These young players need bedding in but I bet 1or 2 are ready as it seems Doughty was.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    But the current crop realistically AREN'T that good. That's the whole point. Those are four of the best academy players we've ever produced. Maybe if we're lucky one of the current crop will reach those heights but it's far from certain.
  • CafcSCP said:
    sam3110 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    But they weren't really unknowns, if you read reports on here from u18 matches etc then you saw how they were frequently described as the real deal and the future of Charlton etc etc. 

There's no-one in the youth setup right now that's being spoken of like that. 

If we regularly put out backline of Barker, Elewere, Pearce and Purrington, very possible if we don't recruit any more defenders and injuries come into play, you can forget winning the league. In fact you can probably kiss goodbye playoff ambitions too.

Yes, they have some potential, but they simply aren't good enough yet, and may never be unless they come along a lot in their development.

The same goes for regularly playing Clayden, Vennings and the like further up the pitch. A sub appearance here and there, fine, 15-20 starts in the season, we'll be struggling
    To an extent I agree but most hadn’t heard of any of these players until they got their chance.
    none I listed above were immediately thrown in at the deep end.
    They were subs. Doughty was at Bromley clearly not deemed as the real deal . These young players need bedding in but I bet 1or 2 are ready as it seems Doughty was.
    Doughty was a bit of a fluke in terms of the circumstances though.  But ignoring the circumstances he had already had 2 loan spells and was already 20 when he started playing regularly. 

Even players like Parker and Grant, who both made their debuts very young didn't really establish themselves until they had had a loan spell and were about 20.

Players like Bowyer and Gomez are very rare.  The fact Adkins had 3 at Southampton, who were very special, has raised the expectations a bit too high imo. 

The ones that are good enough will play, I have no doubt, but it's a big ask to go from U18s to League 1 football without even a season in the u23s, let alone a loan. 

• edited July 2021
    Isn't the way to bed them in is give them a chance pre-season (as we are doing) then put one or two on the bench and play them in the cup? Then it is for them to put in the performances that suggest more game time. There are probably 2 or 3 that look like they could and some players do make that jump faster. When I say that, it doesn't mean they will, but they are worthy of monitoring closely.
  • Think the rules for subs are back to 3 from 7 so I'm not sure if we'd see that many of the youngsters involved outside of League Cup and the Papa John's Trophy . 
  • edited July 2021
  • Scoham said:
    The season hasnt started but apparently we already havent scored enough goals...
    It’s obvious we need more attacking options, even if that just means competition for the likes of DJ and Gilbey who go on to score 10+ each.
    DJ and Gilbey will be lucky to get 10 between them.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!