Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Charlton have signed MK Dons midfielder Alex Gilbey and Hearts striker Conor Washington for undisclosed fees.
  • MattF said:
    There were no fees paid for Gilbey and Washington 

From CAFC themselves 
    The striker joins the Addicks for an undisclosed fee and in doing so becomes Lee Bowyer’s second signing of the summer transfer window following the arrival of Alex Gilbey on Wednesday.
    No fee was disclosed can also mean no fee was transferred between clubs.
  • Cloudworm said:
    mendonca said:
    Why would we be under an embargo? You've seen the recent accounts and the fact embargos are now public. Or is it as simple as not signing >6 players by now = means to create harmful gossip!
    We’re not under an umbongo. I’m just saying, it’s a bit slow, isn’t it? Would like to have done a bit more business by now so they get a good pre-season together. 

#5yearplan
    I’m assuming you didn’t read the post by cafc43v3r (I think), explaining why the market generally (not just Charlton related) is slow?
  • MattF said:

From CAFC themselves 
    The striker joins the Addicks for an undisclosed fee and in doing so becomes Lee Bowyer’s second signing of the summer transfer window following the arrival of Alex Gilbey on Wednesday.
    My maths must be letting me down then, please subtract the Bonne and Purrington fees from the 275K Bowyer spent and let me know how much the combined fee for Washington and Gilbey was then?
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/too-good-to-refuse-lee-bowyer-tells-us-why-charlton-athletic-allowed-macauley-bonnes-qpr-move/
  • MattF said:

From CAFC themselves 
    The club also claimed they received a fee for Lepoint but he was on the FAs released list.

I expect in this case Cawley is right and using the term undisclosed was agreed between the clubs despite us paying nothing. It doesn’t look good for the selling club it they admit to their fans they gave a decent player away for free.

I also really can’t see how either version of ESI were funding transfers at the time worth almost half a million (going off the figures you claimed to be be the fees).
  • Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:

From CAFC themselves 
    Why go to the effort of saying undisclosed fee if there's not fee at all?
    Transfermarkt usually have a '?' for undisclosed fees, Washington has '?' but Gilbey has £198k - they must have that figure from somewhere I'd assume.
  • edited July 2021
    Posted in here as well as squad list because it’ll be seen by more.  

How we kicked off 20/21:

Amos
    Barker, Oshilaja, Pratley, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Lapslie, JFC
    Doughty, Bonne, Washington 

Vs 

How we will currently kick off 21/22:

McGillivray
    Matthews, Innis, Famewo, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Dobson, Clare
    Jaiyesimi, Stockley, Washington 

Matched up player for player I make it this seasons team wins 6-2 with 3 being the same.

And we’ve not even finished business yet, things are better, relax people. 
    You're comparing apples & pears.

Last season :

We had an owner trying to sell us to someone the EFL would not accept as "fit & proper"

We had been under a transfer embargo since Jan. Only players we could bring in were on a "like for like" wages basis 

There was a wage cap.

This season:

We have an owner who is stable & has put in over £10m into the club 

The owner says he wants Premier League status in 5 years

We are not under an embargo

There is no wage cap.

Apart from that your comparisons stack up well. I'm all for debate but at least get the facts right.

I’m comparing charlton 20/21 with charlton 21/22, that’s apples and apples.  My facts are right that is the team we started with last season, apart from perhaps you could debate the starting XI Adkins will go with.  Either way this season we are much better.

The fact we had shit owners then and good owners now is irrelevant to my point, which is that things are a lot better and that those is a state of panic such as yourself, should relax a bit.
    I'm not panicking......but I'm hoping that everyone agrees that we bloody well should be in a better position now than we were first game last season & so the lack of follow through from all the rhetoric that had been spouted from TS & NA is puzzling. 

Remember, it's not us fans saying that we should "blow through this league" or " that will be us lifting the trophy next season"
  • Vfrf said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:

From CAFC themselves 
    Transfermarkt usually have a '?' for undisclosed fees, Washington has '?' but Gilbey has £198k - they must have that figure from somewhere I'd assume.
    Presumably because if you are the selling club......you may not want it widely known that you are letting your players go for gratis?
  • That wouldn't make any sense, correct me if I am wrong but when we signed Gilbey was he not still under contract with MK Dons? Surely they wouldn't let their POTY go on a free?
  • Sponsored links:

• We’ve still got 4 loan spots to fill and those will come later in the window. I think we’re going to have an interesting deadline day, but the final squad will probably be put together pretty late 
    Hmmm. Thought I remember at the end of April the club saying that being in the mix for the play offs was not helping our plans for the summer as we didnt know what league we might be in next season. That issue was all sorted on May 7th.
    Eh? Knowing what we’re planning on doing isn’t the same as getting it done quickly. Knowing what league we’re in allows us to define our targets based on our budget. The fact we stayed down means that we’ll have to sign players accordingly, which in this window’s market means more loans as we don’t have as much money to chuck about. Loans often get done late as other clubs finalise their squads, and this has been a window of brinksmanship. We’re still waiting for it to properly start all over the leagues 

• Charlton have signed MK Dons midfielder Alex Gilbey and Hearts striker Conor Washington for undisclosed fees.
    You quoted a fee on the last page, make your mind up. 
  • Vfrf said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:

From CAFC themselves 
    Club probably didn't want it known they were letting players go for free?
  • That wouldn't make any sense, correct me if I am wrong but when we signed Gilbey was he not still under contract with MK Dons? Surely they wouldn't let their POTY go on a free?
    £200k as being quoted is also peanuts for a player of the year.
  • no rumours then?
    technically rumours Gilbey and Wash were free, while other rumours suggest fees were paid. 
  • Be gobsmacked if we got them, particularly Gilbey, for free. Cawley's comment no doubt come from Bowyer, and without meaning to dig Bows out, the context was about how little we'd spent, so suited him to miss those out. No way do Mk Dons let their player of the year leave on a free. 
  • Posted in here as well as squad list because it’ll be seen by more.  

How we kicked off 20/21:

Amos
    Gilbey, Lapslie, JFC

Vs 

McGillivray
    Gilbey, Dobson, Clare

Matched up player for player I make it this seasons team wins 6-2 with 3 being the same.

Last season :

We had an owner trying to sell us to someone the EFL would not accept as "fit & proper"

We had been under a transfer embargo since Jan. Only players we could bring in were on a "like for like" wages basis 

There was a wage cap.

This season:

There is no wage cap.

Apart from that your comparisons stack up well. I'm all for debate but at least get the facts right.

I’m comparing charlton 20/21 with charlton 21/22, that’s apples and apples.  My facts are right that is the team we started with last season, apart from perhaps you could debate the starting XI Adkins will go with.  Either way this season we are much better.

The fact we had shit owners then and good owners now is irrelevant to my point, which is that things are a lot better and that those is a state of panic such as yourself, should relax a bit.
    Of course you're not comparing like for like. The reason we started last season with the team you mentioned is because we couldn't BUY any players & the wage cap meant teams were working on very tight budgets. We lost quite a few players last summer (like we have this summer) & they needed to be replaced - but they weren't until TS took over & then we saw a late flurry in September just before the transfer window shut. 

I'm not knocking TS at all, just making sure you dont re-write history.
    Who’s re-writing history? You’re the one bringing up irrelevant points about embargoes.

BR7 is saying the starting XI we have at the moment is better than the starting XI from the opening game last season. Would you agree?

And bringing up ‘flurry of transfers in September’ also means you agree that we have plenty of time left to strengthen the squad?
    This will be my last post on this.

Of course I agree that the team that starts against Sheff W will be better than the one that started at Crewe. But that stands to reason for the points I made in my previous post. It's hardly rocket science is it. 

I'll leave it there as the thread is getting sidetracked......and I said I'd be posting less as I seem to rub people up the wrong way for making what seems to be a logical arguement.

• Sponsored links:

How we kicked off 20/21:

Amos
    Gilbey, Lapslie, JFC

Vs 

McGillivray
    Gilbey, Dobson, Clare

Last season :

There was a wage cap.

This season:

There is no wage cap.

I'm not panicking......but I'm hoping that everyone agrees that we bloody well should be in a better position now than we were first game last season & so the lack of follow through from all the rhetoric that had been spouted from TS & NA is puzzling. 

Remember, it's not us fans saying that we should "blow through this league" or " that will be us lifting the trophy next season"
    You can only hope for what is to come, not what hasn't happened. I just hope we have a team that's good enough when the season gets underway and all the transfer business is completed.  
  • Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
     I said that self same thing recently. I quoted ' If you are good enough,  you are old enough '. I then listed a lot of players back to the 1950's to show how many were really successful. 

All I got was mocking nonsense telling me I always talk rubbish. 

Let us see if you get the same criticism. 
    That's because quoting footballers back to the 1950s is not relevant to today's game. 

I included modern players and past players are relevant.  Why do u think nothing counts unless you were around at the time.
    Not that far back they're not.
  • Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
     I said that self same thing recently. I quoted ' If you are good enough,  you are old enough '. I then listed a lot of players back to the 1950's to show how many were really successful. 

All I got was mocking nonsense telling me I always talk rubbish. 

Let us see if you get the same criticism. 
    That's because quoting footballers back to the 1950s is not relevant to today's game. 

I included modern players and past players are relevant.  Why do u think nothing counts unless you were around at the time.
    So you don’t think the games changed in the last 50-60 years?

How we kicked off 20/21:

Amos
    Gilbey, Lapslie, JFC

Vs 

McGillivray
    Gilbey, Dobson, Clare

Last season :

There was a wage cap.

This season:

There is no wage cap.

Patience, Golfie. Of course, we'd have all liked our business done by now.

It's not just us ...... every club in the Division is in the same boat.
    They are all saying how difficult it is to get the players they want.

I'm sure I remember you saying a few weeks back, something like, Oxford had only released 3 players compared to Charlton, who had lost 12 of last season's squad. Yet when we bought Clare the other day, the Oxford fans were saying they needed to strengthen urgently and bewailing how thin their squad is.

Sound familiar? You see, it's not only us. 

• I agree with the Chuks comment. I saw him as a key player this season as if we got him on the pitch more, those 15 goals could become 20 plus. That is hard to replace.
  • edited July 2021
    McGillivray
    Dobson, Clare
    Jaiyesimi, Morgan, Washington 
    Stockley

That on paper looks strong and exciting imo

That's without
    Watson
    Clayden
    Gilbey
    Deji
    Gunter
    Henry
    Davidson
    Pearce

Sure we could do with 3-4 more, but I'm sure we will see those in terms of loan deals

LB, ST, WM, at a minimum
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!