Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Be gobsmacked if we got them, particularly Gilbey, for free. Cawley's comment no doubt come from Bowyer, and without meaning to dig Bows out, the context was about how little we'd spent, so suited him to miss those out. No way do Mk Dons let their player of the year leave on a free. 
    I'm pretty I sure remember reading a year ago that because of the lockdown, suspension of the division and lack of income, MK were desperate to reduce their budget - which is probably why they made POTY Gilbey available, quite likely because he was their highest earner?

I believe also Hearts had just been relegated and their manager saying that they had to urgently reduce expenditure and were letting higher earning players go. A couple of days later, we signed Washington.

Don't ask me how I remember this stuff!

• We’ve still got 4 loan spots to fill and those will come later in the window. I think we’re going to have an interesting deadline day, but the final squad will probably be put together pretty late 
    Hmmm. Thought I remember at the end of April the club saying that being in the mix for the play offs was not helping our plans for the summer as we didnt know what league we might be in next season. That issue was all sorted on May 7th.
    Eh? Knowing what we’re planning on doing isn’t the same as getting it done quickly. Knowing what league we’re in allows us to define our targets based on our budget. The fact we stayed down means that we’ll have to sign players accordingly, which in this window’s market means more loans as we don’t have as much money to chuck about. Loans often get done late as other clubs finalise their squads, and this has been a window of brinksmanship. We’re still waiting for it to properly start all over the leagues 
    Exactly this. Nerve racking. 
  • I thought he was soon to be out of contract and they knew he wouldn't be extending.
  • In the words of Ness from Gavin and Stacey, what's occuring?
  • We expecting any deals today? @anyoneITK
  • Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

Haven't replaced our top scorer yet or Millar, who most of those in the know rated highly. Or Maatsen, who I thought was great. I'd say we're possibly weaker than we were at the end of last season and definitely behind the curve.

I'll be much happier when we get...

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

I'm starting to think we might be under another secret transfer umbongo...

Amos - McGillivray
    AMB - AMB

Matthews - Matthews
    Gunter - Gunter
    Maatsen - 
    Purrington - Purrington

Famewo - Famewo
    Pearce - Pearce
    Inniss - Inniss
    Nobody - 

Pratley - Dobson
    Watson - Watson
    Gilbey - Gilbey
    JFC - JFC
    Morgan - Morgan
    Shinnie - Clare
    Smith -  

Millar - 
    DJ - DJ

Stockley - Stockley
    Washington - Washington
    Schwartz - Schwartz
    Aneke - 

Hardly behind the curve, the two players really missing from ending last season are Millar and Aneke, granted both important, but those are the two players that we really need to get right, difference between playoffs auto.

We're not really in that bad a shape if the season was to start tomorrow, not perfect, but not relegation material.

• edited July 2021
    In the words of Ness from Gavin and Stacey, what's occuring?
    In the u23s isn't he? 
  • thenewbie said:
    Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
     I said that self same thing recently. I quoted ' If you are good enough,  you are old enough '. I then listed a lot of players back to the 1950's to show how many were really successful. 

All I got was mocking nonsense telling me I always talk rubbish. 

Let us see if you get the same criticism. 
    That's because quoting footballers back to the 1950s is not relevant to today's game. 

I included modern players and past players are relevant.  Why do u think nothing counts unless you were around at the time.
    Not that far back they're not.
    I think the game was more ‘robust’ in the 50s and before, and the pitches much heavier. Less suitable for younger (so generally more lightweight) players. 
    Others would know more about the average age of players then compared with now. 
  • Having players who played into their 50's must have pushed the average up too!
  • Oggy Red said:
    Be gobsmacked if we got them, particularly Gilbey, for free. Cawley's comment no doubt come from Bowyer, and without meaning to dig Bows out, the context was about how little we'd spent, so suited him to miss those out. No way do Mk Dons let their player of the year leave on a free. 
    I'm pretty I sure remember reading a year ago that because of the lockdown, suspension of the division and lack of income, MK were desperate to reduce their budget - which is probably why they made POTY Gilbey available, quite likely because he was their highest earner?

I believe also Hearts had just been relegated and their manager saying that they had to urgently reduce expenditure and were letting higher earning players go. A couple of days later, we signed Washington.

It also gave MKD the bandwidth to offer a decent contract to Scott Fraser who was a free agent at the time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

Haven't replaced our top scorer yet or Millar, who most of those in the know rated highly. Or Maatsen, who I thought was great. I'd say we're possibly weaker than we were at the end of last season and definitely behind the curve.

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

Amos - McGillivray
    AMB - AMB

Matthews - Matthews
    Gunter - Gunter
    Maatsen - 
    Purrington - Purrington

Famewo - Famewo
    Pearce - Pearce
    Inniss - Inniss
    Nobody - 

Pratley - Dobson
    Watson - Watson
    Gilbey - Gilbey
    JFC - JFC
    Morgan - Morgan
    Shinnie - Clare
    Smith -  

Millar - 
    DJ - DJ

Stockley - Stockley
    Washington - Washington
    Schwartz - Schwartz
    Aneke - 

Hardly behind the curve, the two players really missing from ending last season are Millar and Aneke, granted both important, but those are the two players that we really need to get right, difference between playoffs auto.

We're not really in that bad a shape if the season was to start tomorrow, not perfect, but not relegation material.

We have baked the cake we just need to ice it and add a big fat cherry or two on the top.

Powell had an iced cake but even he still had to add the cherries.  He didn't do that until well, after we had already beaten the cherries.

Last season we had some eggs and flour but couldn't afford the leccy to turn the oven on and we're just about to flog the baking tins. 
  • edited July 2021
    Kwadwo Baah on loan might fill the Millar void, I see Sunderland are after him.
  • In the words of Ness from Gavin and Stacey, what's occuring?
    Is that a hint that more Welsh players are on the way?
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
     I said that self same thing recently. I quoted ' If you are good enough,  you are old enough '. I then listed a lot of players back to the 1950's to show how many were really successful. 

All I got was mocking nonsense telling me I always talk rubbish. 

Let us see if you get the same criticism. 
    That's because quoting footballers back to the 1950s is not relevant to today's game. 

I included modern players and past players are relevant.  Why do u think nothing counts unless you were around at the time.

Perhaps not as old as yourself ....... my Dad, from a family of dyed in the wool Charlton fans, first took me down The Valley in 1964. On my fathers knee, I learned about Jimmy Seed's South African experiment, players like Benny Fenton, Charlie Vaughan, Big Sam, Eddie Firmani, Stuart Leary, Johnny Summers et al.

I've seen a lot of football myself since the days of Tiger Hill, Bob Stokoe and Eddie Firmani  as managers and the young players they introduced into the team at those times: Mike Bailey, Lenny Glover, Billy Bonds, Alan Campbell, Keithy Peacock, Peter Reeves, Bobby Curtis and so on, right up to the present day.

It doesn't how much I fondly remember the old days, the football played back then just wouldn't compare with the demands on players today with the athleticism required, pace and physical intensity of the game. 

See we should have kept Pratley and Watson has got years in him.  After all the 60s there was an outfield player in the top flight who was in his 50s!

It must there say you can play until your 50s now? 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    That wouldn't make any sense, correct me if I am wrong but when we signed Gilbey was he not still under contract with MK Dons? Surely they wouldn't let their POTY go on a free?
    £200k as being quoted is also peanuts for a player of the year.
    That is true, but let's say if he wanted to move at least that covers the wages of the incoming replacement for a year or so, which was Fraser.

200k is better than nothing and I think he had a year left
  • Richard J said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Be gobsmacked if we got them, particularly Gilbey, for free. Cawley's comment no doubt come from Bowyer, and without meaning to dig Bows out, the context was about how little we'd spent, so suited him to miss those out. No way do Mk Dons let their player of the year leave on a free. 

It also gave MKD the bandwidth to offer a decent contract to Scott Fraser who was a free agent at the time. 
    Very good, @Richard J

I hadn't made that connection.

• edited July 2021
    I agree with the Chuks comment. I saw him as a key player this season as if we got him on the pitch more, those 15 goals could become 20 plus. That is hard to replace.
    Chuks is definitely the biggest loss so far. In terms of both number of goals and technical ability, having him even as a sub option would have made a stronger squad.

BUT he's at least not gone to a direct rival and honestly given he's now got a Championship club and probably a commensurate wage, we (Charlton) probably didn't do anything "wrong" in negotiations. Just financially out-muscled.

How we replace him will be important but I remain confident that we will. How good said replacement will be we don't know yet.
  • 25 goals between Clare, Gilbey and DJ? We are just making things up here. Between them they would need to average over 8 goals

Clare scored one last year and never got more than 6 at Hearts last time he played in midfield.

Gilbey averaged about 4 per year at MK.

DJ has potential but it’s unproven.

It’s not negative - it’s just going on the data sample we have to hand. Which is more accurate than any assumptions 
    Let’s revisit this at the end of the season is all I’ll say. I feel extremely good about all three players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tuesday was like a throwback. The only insider knowledge came from teamtalk.com in the morning!
  • Kwadwo Baah on loan might fill the Millar void, I see Sunderland are after him.
    Is he the answer? Apart from tearing us apart when we played Smyth RB I don’t think he did too much? I know there was a lot behind the scenes when it was rumoured he signed for city but that fell through. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

Amos - McGillivray
    AMB - AMB

Matthews - Matthews
    Gunter - Gunter
    Maatsen - 
    Purrington - Purrington

Famewo - Famewo
    Pearce - Pearce
    Inniss - Inniss
    Nobody - 

Pratley - Dobson
    Watson - Watson
    Gilbey - Gilbey
    JFC - JFC
    Morgan - Morgan
    Shinnie - Clare
    Smith -  

Millar - 
    DJ - DJ

Stockley - Stockley
    Washington - Washington
    Schwartz - Schwartz
    Aneke - 

We have baked the cake we just need to ice it and add a big fat cherry or two on the top.

Powell had an iced cake but even he still had to add the cherries.  He didn't do that until well, after we had already beaten the cherries.

Last season we had some eggs and flour but couldn't afford the leccy to turn the oven on and we're just about to flog the baking tins. 
    Great...now I'm hungry
  • Thinking about Maatsen, I seem to get the idea that NA loves tall players, Maatsen indeed in my opinion looked a terrific player in the making, maybe his height may go against him, as I did read in some online match reports where the opposition targeted our left back area with crosses.
  • Maatsen is small but has a decent leap tbf, not many headed goals when he got outjumped. As for Purrington, who's much taller, the mind goes to that 95th minute Hull equaliser 
  • Maatsen also performed well further up the pitch.

I suspect Chelsea would want to see him loaned to a Championship club to increase he resale value while Charlton end up loaning a different Chelsea player.  

Who that might be I have no idea but I'd never heard of Gallagher either.  Gallen will know who's available and will probably already had talks with Chelsea and other EPL clubs.  

Gallen will also know that he'll have to wait, perhaps until just before the window closes, until he gets a definite answer. 
  • We expecting any deals today? @anyoneITK
    I’m just imaging all those ITKs going, ‘Oo, I nearly forgot to post this info I’ve received, thanks for reminding me!’
    :-)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

Amos - McGillivray
    AMB - AMB

Matthews - Matthews
    Gunter - Gunter
    Maatsen - 
    Purrington - Purrington

Famewo - Famewo
    Pearce - Pearce
    Inniss - Inniss
    Nobody - 

Pratley - Dobson
    Watson - Watson
    Gilbey - Gilbey
    JFC - JFC
    Morgan - Morgan
    Shinnie - Clare
    Smith -  

Millar - 
    DJ - DJ

Stockley - Stockley
    Washington - Washington
    Schwartz - Schwartz
    Aneke - 

Great...now I'm hungry
    Yeah, that reminds me, what's for lunch everybody, plenty of time for rumours this afternoon, preferably on a full stomach....
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

Amos - McGillivray
    AMB - AMB

Matthews - Matthews
    Gunter - Gunter
    Maatsen - 
    Purrington - Purrington

Famewo - Famewo
    Pearce - Pearce
    Inniss - Inniss
    Nobody - 

Pratley - Dobson
    Watson - Watson
    Gilbey - Gilbey
    JFC - JFC
    Morgan - Morgan
    Shinnie - Clare
    Smith -  

Millar - 
    DJ - DJ

Stockley - Stockley
    Washington - Washington
    Schwartz - Schwartz
    Aneke - 

Great...now I'm hungry
    Yeah, that reminds me, what's for lunch everybody, plenty of time for rumours this afternoon, preferably on a full stomach....
    Are you Steve Gallen? No wonder there's been no signings this morning. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!