Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• It's Thursday.  I've been in the office since 6:30 as duty manager before a 5 day long weekend in the smoke.  Expect more drivel.  Apologies in advance.

• Scoham said:
    The season hasnt started but apparently we already havent scored enough goals...
    It’s obvious we need more attacking options, even if that just means competition for the likes of DJ and Gilbey who go on to score 10+ each.
    DJ and Gilbey will be lucky to get 10 between them.
    Gilbey scored 3 in the last 9. Both can improve as player and have potential to get into double figures. It’s really about how you set up and the roles they play in that. If either play regularly and keep getting the box they’ll score goals.

Jackson was never a goalscorer until he played for us, while Wagstaff wasn’t the most talented or skilful player. They both got into double figures because they were able to continually make runs into the box.
  • edited July 2021
    I know loans are often confirmed at the last minute, but I’m assuming the club will know that specific loans are likely, barring last minute interest from ‘bigger’ clubs?
    So if we know it’s probable we’ll be getting excellent loanees at left back and CB, then the club are less likely to be signing ones, which would leave fans feeling we’re weak in those areas right up to the last minute. 
    That’s a dangerous game if things don’t work out the way you hoped though. 
  • CafcSCP said:
    Not forgetting Doughty too!!
    And Aribo....and Grant. 
  • edited July 2021
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

Haven't replaced our top scorer yet or Millar, who most of those in the know rated highly. Or Maatsen, who I thought was great. I'd say we're possibly weaker than we were at the end of last season and definitely behind the curve.

I'll be much happier when we get...

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

I'm starting to think we might be under another secret transfer umbongo...
    You don't often see 5 players signing when you're under an embargo...
    You're also replacing Millar who got one assist in every six games he played, and scored one in every eight and a half games - somehow I think we'll be signing a winger who can at least match that contribution. If Jayasemi stays fit I can almost guarantee you he'll give you that return or better. Maatsen was a decent winger but was torrid in defence which is why when a technically astute manager actually come in, he barely got a game at left-back. We're in the market for at least a winger, striker and centre-half, but we're likely shopping in the Championship 'squad-player' market who haven't finalised their teams yet - that happens closer to the window so I'm sure in the end you'll be happier. I'd argue every position we've replaced we've strengthened, so have a little bit of faith and patience and I'm sure it'll pay off.
  • gmantaxi said:
    They only had ten men

And two of those were brothers
    Parents need locking up , how can ya call ya kids A &B .
    I know of parents who called their twin boys Arry and Enry 
  • Sleepy hollow or great excitement guaranteed with this thread. Either way never dull.
  • Cloudworm said:

So secret we signed Clare for a fee  :o
    Didn’t we pay for Gilbey and/or Washington under the last umbongo?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    I know loans are often confirmed at the last minute, but I’m assuming the club will know that specific loans are likely, barring last minute interest from ‘bigger’ clubs?
    So if we know it’s probable we’ll be getting excellent loanees at left back and CB, then the club are less likely to be signing ones, which would leave fans feeling we’re weak in those areas right up to the last minute. 
    That’s a dangerous game if things don’t work out the way you hoped. 
    No doubt we’ll have a few options for each position so I’m not worried we won’t get anyone. Just hope we can avoid the Smith/Smyth/Levitt type loans that weren’t quite up to it.
  • Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:

Thought they were both free
  • mendonca said:
    Why would we be under an embargo? You've seen the recent accounts and the fact embargos are now public. Or is it as simple as not signing >6 players by now = means to create harmful gossip!
    We’re not under an umbongo. I’m just saying, it’s a bit slow, isn’t it? Would like to have done a bit more business by now so they get a good pre-season together. 

#5yearplan
  • Redhenry said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:

Both were undisclosed fees
  • Cloudworm said:
    mendonca said:
    Why would we be under an embargo? You've seen the recent accounts and the fact embargos are now public. Or is it as simple as not signing >6 players by now = means to create harmful gossip!
    We’re not under an umbongo. I’m just saying, it’s a bit slow, isn’t it? Would like to have done a bit more business by now so they get a good pre-season together. 

#5yearplan
    So would every club … but you can’t force players and agents to make their minds up … our business as been excellent compared to others in league one .. lot of money spent despite the loses the club had to cope with   … over all very decent window so far and more to come before September  
  • Cloudworm said:
    mendonca said:

#5yearplan
    So would every club … but you can’t force players and agents to make their minds up … our business as been excellent compared to others in league one .. lot of money spent despite the loses the club had to cope with   … over all very decent window so far and more to come before September  
    Really? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not demanding we spend millions, and there's plenty of quality players available out there for free, but we've still not spent much. Only paid for Clare and Stockley, I can't imagine it's more than 500k up front with a few add ons. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:

Washington was a small fee 150,000 Gilbey was around 300,000.. was mentioned at the time 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    We’ve still got 4 loan spots to fill and those will come later in the window. I think we’re going to have an interesting deadline day, but the final squad will probably be put together pretty late 
    Hmmm. Thought I remember at the end of April the club saying that being in the mix for the play offs was not helping our plans for the summer as we didnt know what league we might be in next season. That issue was all sorted on May 7th.
  • edited July 2021
    Posted in here as well as squad list because it’ll be seen by more.  

How we kicked off 20/21:

Amos
    Barker, Oshilaja, Pratley, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Lapslie, JFC
    Doughty, Bonne, Washington 

Vs 

How we will currently kick off 21/22:

McGillivray
    Matthews, Innis, Famewo, Purrington 
    Gilbey, Dobson, Clare
    Jaiyesimi, Stockley, Washington 

Matched up player for player I make it this seasons team wins 6-2 with 3 being the same.

And we’ve not even finished business yet, things are better, relax people. 
    You're comparing apples & pears.

Last season :

We had an owner trying to sell us to someone the EFL would not accept as "fit & proper"

We had been under a transfer embargo since Jan. Only players we could bring in were on a "like for like" wages basis 

There was a wage cap.

This season:

We have an owner who is stable & has put in over £10m into the club 

The owner says he wants Premier League status in 5 years

We are not under an embargo

There is no wage cap.

Apart from that your comparisons stack up well. I'm all for debate but at least get the facts right.

• Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
     I said that self same thing recently. I quoted ' If you are good enough,  you are old enough '. I then listed a lot of players back to the 1950's to show how many were really successful. 

All I got was mocking nonsense telling me I always talk rubbish. 

Let us see if you get the same criticism. 
    That's because quoting footballers back to the 1950s is not relevant to today's game. 

It was also pointed out to him that whilst young players maybe good enough technically, they may struggle physically and mentally with the requirements of League One football over the course of a gruelling season. But like usual, he ignored that and played the victim instead.  
  • MattF said:
    There were no fees paid for Gilbey and Washington 

From CAFC themselves 
    The striker joins the Addicks for an undisclosed fee and in doing so becomes Lee Bowyer’s second signing of the summer transfer window following the arrival of Alex Gilbey on Wednesday.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!