Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    A quick google shows that Football Insider is a real organisation that hires sports journalists, they appear to have legitimate inside contacts.

Whilst they have been wrong a number of times, they are usually quite accurate.
    Put them on your list the only true way to judge reliability.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    A quick google shows that Football Insider is a real organisation that hires sports journalists, they appear to have legitimate inside contacts.

Whilst they have been wrong a number of times, they are usually quite accurate.
    That’s what I thought, it’s not your standard rumour site where any fan can sign up and publish any article they write.

A few examples

Dijksteel to Boro https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-middlesbrough-have-dijksteel-bid-rejected/

Gunter to us
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-charlton-athletic-in-advanced-talks-to-sign-wales-international/

We were after Kirk (later backed up by Cawley)
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-charlton-submit-500k-bid-for-kirk/

There are articles where they’ve said we’re one of several clubs interested in a player, but that’s not the same as saying a player is signing.
  • Also Rich Cawley put out a tweet earlier about AMB going to the Olympics and lots of people asked about Dobson in the replies. He is usually quick to say no if we aren't interested, this time he hasn't replied.
  • Addicks59 said:
    Hopefully be announced today Dobson and may be another tucker.
    There are two of them?!
  • edited June 2021
  • Rylo said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Hopefully be announced today Dobson and may be another tucker.
    There are two of them?!
    Yep, we’ve bid £2m for ken

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Tucker_(footballer)

• Sponsored links:

• Football insider is quite reliable, they also reported Chuks to Birmingham before anyone else. 
  • And Marcus Maddison to us last year 
  • I remember a couple of the guys from work were raving about dobson when he joined West hams youth academy. They were certain he would make it big. There must be some talent in there and adkins must see the potential. But he could just be a squad signing rather than a guaranteed starter as well.
  • Do those players out of contract at end of June get paid in July?
    Yes.
    Bonkers. I'd love to have a contract and then carry on getting paid for another month after it has finished.

Footballers really aren't in the real world. 
  • I remember a couple of the guys from work were raving about dobson when he joined West hams youth academy. They were certain he would make it big. There must be some talent in there and adkins must see the potential. But he could just be a squad signing rather than a guaranteed starter as well.
    Seems unlikely to me unless we’re looking to sign two DMs and have Watson as third choice.

Someone posted the below article the other day, Sunderland seem to have used Dobson more box to box and linking the midfield and attack when he’s more suited as a holding midfielder with others left to attack and add creativity.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2021/1/18/22235911/readers-corner-in-defence-of-george-dobson
  • edited June 2021
    It sounds like he lacks technical ability. I did think we'd be building a more technically able team this year as I understood NA likes to pass the ball. 
  • Chunes said:
    It sounds like he lacks technical ability. I did think we'd be building a more technically able team this year as I understood NA likes to pass the ball. 
    I see him as being used in the Pratley role of a midfield destroyer type, breaking up play and protecting the defence. This allows whoever else is on midfield to be the more creative, roaming type and get forward more without being as concerned about defensive duties.

So while he may not be a playmaker or super technical, he (or someone similar) could still fit into a passing, technical team.
  • Dobson doesn’t excite me but I trust Adkins.

Maguire would be a really against what I think we should be doing. Especially with Watson and Pearce there as experienced heads. Not like he’s outstanding at this level either.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    I see him as being used in the Pratley role of a midfield destroyer type, breaking up play and protecting the defence. This allows whoever else is on midfield to be the more creative, roaming type and get forward more without being as concerned about defensive duties.

So while he may not be a playmaker or super technical, he (or someone similar) could still fit into a passing, technical team.
    Like I say, I thought we'd be building a more technical team. We saw last year what having a Pratley type does to the midfield. Having one below standard passer of the ball can really slow down the fluidity of the team. It's like throwing a spanner in the engine.

I guess NA is just building a side to get out of the division and it's likely not going to be pretty. And to be fair, in this division, when is it ever. 
  • Do those players out of contract at end of June get paid in July?
    Yes.
    Bonkers. I'd love to have a contract and then carry on getting paid for another month after it has finished.

Footballers really aren't in the real world. 
    It's a hang over from a time when all players had one year contracts that were renewable by the clubs only and over which they had no control.

It is effectively a months notice money.

Whether that is right or wrong is debatable but it means players released who don't get new clubs at least have some sort of cushion and not all of them are on £Ms or even £Ks a week.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Dobson doesn’t excite me but I trust Adkins.

Maguire would be a really against what I think we should be doing. Especially with Watson and Pearce there as experienced heads. Not like he’s outstanding at this level either.
    Every team needs a Dobson /Watson in a holding role to allow in the system we want to play the front 4 to have the freedom to go forward 
    Look at England playing with two holding … but how many people notice Rice and Phillips 
  • We definitely need a player like Dobson, who will break up play and let the more creative players do their thing. I liked him when he was at Walsall and he was a big part in the Dons form picking up. 

I’d never judge him based on what just Sunderland fans say. Hopefully he’ll sign and I think his qualities will prove popular at the Valley. 

I would say that I don’t think this is the signing that @c@Covered_End_Lad was alluding to yesterday as I think that’s someone a little more well known. 
  • It's too hard to guess what a player may offer without having seen him play regularly. If going by common sense and logical guesswork, Arsenal's Matt Smith should have fitted in very well here - played all season at Swindon, knew the league, had a teammate in the team, nearer to home, etc.
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

Like I say, I thought we'd be building a more technical team. We saw last year what having a Pratley type does to the midfield. Having one below standard passer of the ball can really slow down the fluidity of the team. It's like throwing a spanner in the engine.

I guess NA is just building a side to get out of the division and it's likely not going to be pretty. And to be fair, in this division, when is it ever. 
    No idea whether George is technically gifted or not but every team needs water carriers as well as artists. Sounds to me like he has a good engine and his preferred role is defensive midfielder. He was not too many years ago at Arsenal and West Ham. Made it through the ranks and still only 23. Both clubs noted for producing good ability. 142 league one games under his belt. Will he be earmarked as squad or first eleven ? Only Nigel knows but is there really anyone out there who does not think that those credentials and role won’t be needed to be  called into action in a league one campaign ? If it’s true he’s signing then welcome George and knock em cold. Sounds good to me. 
  • Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    Isn’t that site generally reliable?
    Fair enough Sco, take your word for it. So many of those made up accounts have similar generic names
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!