Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• I reckon NA is only looking at signing players who bring the added 'Mutley factor' to ensure ST sales increase.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Richard J said:
    Luton fans seem convinced it’s them re: CMG.
     Must have a really poor idea of a nice town then . Morecambe is dull and remote and Luton is , well , dreadful but has an airport to escape via. 
    Of course they also shared Eric Morecambe who has a statue by the seaside and was the Hatters most famous fan .
     Eric was about as funny as living in either place but marginally funnier than Keith Lemon .
    What's the point of forum moderators when this sort of vicious dangerous lunacy goes unchallenged?
    Eric Morecambe is a comedy god, few of us are worthy to even inhabit the same universe, infidels will meet unspeakable torment for their foul heresy.
    It is called trolling. 
  • edited June 2021
    The reason Nigel Adkins wasn't having a holiday this summer was he was working on the squad for next season to emulate Hull City.

Thomas Sandgaard stated we will blow League 1 out of the water.

We will bring in quality but I'm expecting some to be underwhelmed at first.

I hope we are more advanced in transfer business than when we kicked off at Sunderland a few seasons ago and lost 2-1 to a late goal after Grant and Taylor looked good in Tandem. We should be as we have a better team including the owner preparing our squad.

• edited June 2021
    Player prices and wages are in silly season. Do people really want us to go spending way beyond our means? Because that's the only way we are going to be outbidding the nouveau riche teams and championship teams.

No, better for us to try to find good value players that mentally fit it into the image that NA is trying to build the team. And through a bit of luck and good management we can get promoted.

Newsflash: we are not going to be buying the league one title. It's not happening despite the gusto of TS's talk when he tookover. I'm sure he wasn't trying to mislead, he's just a successful businessman who thought he would be an instant winner at football too.
    If we only spent within our means we wouldn't have any players at all!

I really don't know why people keep suggesting it, out side of the premier league Charlton are total dependent on a benifactor.  Its their means, how much they are preapered to "invest" and how wisely they spend it that's important. 
  • edited June 2021
    Is the Muttley factor hoping for players that collectively are better than we had last season?  If so, let's hope so, but I think it is a bit generous naming this basic expectation after me. I think season ticket sales have been high, and I haven't claimed because I am personally holding off, lots of others are too. I haven't even said we won't see good recruitment, just noted it hasn't happened yet and I hope it does.

If you want to make little digs at me at every opportunity because you don't like me, like when I asked a question because I was worried because my son had Covid, it is so water off a duck's back it is off the scale water off a ducks back. Carry on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wigan fans reckon they've got Scott Fraser.
  • Stop talking about Williams, some snot nosed teenager mentions him on Twitter and this site goes into meltdown.

Stop wetting the bed, change those sheets, relax and look forward to Belgium v Portugal later. 
    How rude and dismissive! the person who told me about JW being highly liked by the team has a direct line into somebody at the club so more substance than most of the nonsense on here 
  • The Pompey fans seem to rate him so looks like a decent replacement for Amos. Now for the others....... 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I'd welcome Williams back at the right price... Adkins seems the ideal manager for him. Proper arm round the shoulder type.
    I'd ha e him back as a sub, just as I would of with Aneke.
  • DOUCHER said:
    I'm waiting for the evidence to buy a season ticket as I am fed up of the mediocrity and false promises we always get. I am still expecting positive action so not in panic mode but Chuks was a big marker for me and it is an understatement I am disappointed he is leaving. Cue people being ok about it because of his lack of minutes last season. To be honest, I have no interest in these views as I believe they lack football knowledge. We have to be better than last season and it isn't easy to replace what Chuks gives us, but we shall see. I will worry after the Euros if there is something to worry about!   
    The more S/Ts we sell the better squad we could afford.
    Talk about wanting your cake and eating it.
    You want everyone else to fund better players before you put your hand in your pocket and then you add insult to injury by saying many of our fans lack football knowledge as well.

100% spot on
    Well season ticket sales have been very healthy so we should be looking forward to some great signings. 
    Except that people are partly using CAFC cash to buy them, money paid a year ago. My two season ticket only cost about £150 to renew because of cash ‘in the bank’. 

• This is the source for Fraser to Wigan, no idea how reliable it is.  But that kid said him, cousins and Amos as well.

Still waiting on Foden but imagine that will be after the Euros :wink:
  • He is a high end League One performer so not sure why people would be so opposed to his return.
  • He is a high end League One performer so not sure why people would be so opposed to his return.
    We once had Scott Fraser?  :o;)
  • Sponsored links:

• And we missed out on Paul Smyth to Orient 
  • Gilbey won player of the season over Scott Fraser when he was there. Granted Fraser was excellent when they beat us at the Valley, less so when we beat them at theirs.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Stop talking about Williams, some snot nosed teenager mentions him on Twitter and this site goes into meltdown.

Stop wetting the bed, change those sheets, relax and look forward to Belgium v Portugal later. 
    How rude and dismissive! the person who told me about JW being highly liked by the team has a direct line into somebody at the club so more substance than most of the nonsense on here 
    Yeh, but can you confirm your age and nasal congestion status please  ;)
  • MarcusH26 said:
    se9addick said:
    6 days before the transfer window closes.

Oops sorry it's 66 days.
    But only 42 days until the first game and only 4 days to starting preparation. I assume that we a agree that a good pre season is important and that requires time.
    Doubt many third division teams have their squad sorted, or anything like sorted, by the first training session of the pre-season. 

Hopefully we’ll have the makings of a squad by the Dartford match and then be pretty much ready by Reading (aside from a final enormous marquee signing on deadline day). 
    Wigan, Ipswich and Portsmouth plus Lincoln are further ahead and Oxford have a decent group. There are only 3 promotion places. 
    Sunderland are title favourites, have a new billionaire owner................and haven't signed anyone yet.
    They're going to be an interesting one to see what they actually do. Had a £1m+ bid rejected for Dion Sanderson the young Wolves defender they had on loan last season. 

Not entirely sure if throwing huge money at it is the best way of getting out of this league
    Depends how wisely you spend it.

If you spend 7m buying 2 players for 3.5m each then ok you've got 2 decent players but what are the other 9 like? However if you bought 7 players for 1m each then at this level, there's a strong chance you've built a title winning side. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I have spent a lot on Charlton over the years. And I will be spending a lot on Charlton next season. Quite possibly more than you have but it isn't a competition. I have an opinion but unlike you my opinion is never presented as fact. You will notice when I give an opinion I start with I believe or I think. Forums are where people give their opinions aren't they?
    its very simple -  pretty much the only influence we can have over the quality of signings, is to buy  a season ticket - that isn't going to be the only thing that will affect the quality of signings, of course, but it is virtually the only thing we, as fans, can do to influence it - do what you like but i'd say that is a fact 
    I agree, but my view is that my holding off getting a season ticket won't make any difference one way or the other as per Airman's comment. It certainly isn't a protest, it is more that I am personally sick of being beaten at home in League One by crap teams playing crap football and have lost patience with it. If we do well, which I have certainly not ruled out, I will go to the games. Had we signed Chuks I would have bought a season ticket, it was a marker I had in my head of us going in the right direction. I am now waiting for different markers. I have never booed my team so whilst some season ticket holders may choose go and to do that if we do badly, I would rather be doing something else. 
    Thank-you for your support :smile:
  • LTKapal said:
    An actual rumour, I was told we've enquired about regan slater, was at hull last season so probably looking to move higher but we'll see. 
    Problem is he’s done really well at Hull. They’ll want him back and that would make a lot of sense. Another season in L1 probably wouldn’t be that beneficial.

I’d like him as a signing, but I think we will have more success picking up 1st year Loanees rather than ones with experience at this level sadly.
  • edited June 2021
    I always hate that comment. Unlike some I don't go around judging how good fans are. I have often made the argument in the past that the most important fans the club has are the future ones that it has to win over. They are the ones that will make a difference to our success (and I am certainly not one of those as my supporting record would testify to If I chose to defend it which I don't). Some will be content if we are in League two and lord it over everybody else how great fans they are. I am more in the winning new fans through the club improving than the Doucher calling people out approach. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!