Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• McGillivray. I’ve just spent the last ten minutes practicing saying his name so it trips off the tongue. I’ve nailed it. We won’t be signing him now.
    Does it sound like a Scottish version of the planet Dr Who comes from?
  • edited June 2021
    https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/league-one-transfer-window-2021-8040208

Almost every League ! club has signed more players than we, and most have not let as many go. Does anybody understand why we are behind and what our strategy is? We cannot be offering enough money to keep players like Chuks and Amos. Are we hoping to pick up bargains from the basement at some time? It does not smack of a promotion building strategy.
  • 3 year deal from Wigan, is pretty good, I wonder if we only offered him a years contract?

No idea how good the Pompey keeper were being linked with is, whether he’s better, worse or about the same, anyone have any thoughts on the Pompey keeper?
    We offered him a two year deal but he desperately wanted to return home so would not have mattered if we offered 5 year deal on 25k a week 
  • Southbank said:
    https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/league-one-transfer-window-2021-8040208

Almost every League ! club has signed more players than we, and most have not let as many go. Does anybody understand why we are behind and what our strategy is? We cannot be offering enough money to keep players like Chuks and Amos. Are we hoping to pick up bargains from the basement at some time? It does not smack of a promotion building strategy.
    Did you forget to look at Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth?

Of the teams most likely to be in the top half only Wigan and Bolton have really done much in terms of incomings.

Plenty of time yet. 

• Don’t think Amos has really ever won the fans over .. Pompey guy is a step up 

Certainly agree with that.
  • I would say MacGillivary is a good replacement, 3 years younger and comes in off of the back of two good seasons in a row, Amos always been a bit iffy for us imo. Either way it's history now and if Craig is our new number 1 that will do. 
  • What if it’s not MacGillivray after all but instead it’s Ipswich target Benjamin Siegrist?
  • Southbank said:

According to Cawley it is the pool we are fishing in. If that is correct, it isn't a bad thing in itself as long as we start landing some fish. I think it is reasonable for us to expect to see that happening soon. The Pompey keeper (easier to spell) is a start when it is announced.
  • Southbank said:

According to Cawley it is the pool we are fishing in. If that is correct, it isn't a bad thing in itself as long as we start landing some fish. I think it is reasonable for us to expect to see that happening soon. The Pompey keeper (easier to spell) is a start when it is announced.
    This. I can’t think of a player that anyone in league 1 has signed yet who I would have really wanted at Charlton. If Fraser to Wigan is happening, then you can make that 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope when we play Bolton Nige tells the lads to shoot from distance 😳
  • AndyG said:
    I hope when we play Bolton Nige tells the lads to shoot from distance 😳
    Prob be better against Wigan mate. 
    Haha yup 
  • I can't be angry about a player who doesn't want to sign a new contract with us, if there's that inkling of doubt from the start (which there has been from the start with Chucks, Amos) then see you later, take care.
    Personally I'd rather they left than begrudgingly signed a new contract. 

Nothing personal to either of them 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:

Of the teams most likely to be in the top half only Wigan and Bolton have really done much in terms of incomings.

Plenty of time yet. 
    5th from bottom and league 2 last season. They both need to significantly improve to finish top half this season
  • Southbank said:

I mean, its been mentioned on every page for the last 50 pages... BUT chucks has gone to a higher league and probably more money which goes with a higher league and Amos wanted to go 'home', rejecting a offer to join man utd and bench warm (at very best) in the process. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:

Plenty of time yet. 
    5th from bottom and league 2 last season. They both need to significantly improve to finish top half this season
    I am happy to wager both will finish top half. 
  • Of course squads will be important but the manager is at least as important. I think Nige knows what’s required to get out of this division. What extra he gets out of our players might well make all the difference. I’ll be shocked if we don’t make top six. I don’t think any of the clubs can feel confident in expecting top two.
  • I've read a few times that Amos wants to be back with his family.  He left Bolton in 2016 and has had a permanent contract at Charlton for the last 2 years. Has he really been away from his family since 2016, or has his family been with him and he now just wants to take his family back home and remain in the north west?

If he has been away from his family since 2016, fair play to him for sticking it out and it just shows how lonely a life of a footballer can be.
    Not sure regarding Family, as far as I’m aware he hasn’t got any kids. 

I know the people he rented his house from and he told them months ago he wasn’t renewing the lease as he and his wife have been building a house for years and want to start living in it. 

He was never going to sign a new deal down South.

You could have told us a month ago :-(
  • I've read a few times that Amos wants to be back with his family.  He left Bolton in 2016 and has had a permanent contract at Charlton for the last 2 years. Has he really been away from his family since 2016, or has his family been with him and he now just wants to take his family back home and remain in the north west?

If he has been away from his family since 2016, fair play to him for sticking it out and it just shows how lonely a life of a footballer can be.

I know the people he rented his house from and he told them months ago he wasn’t renewing the lease as he and his wife have been building a house for years and want to start living in it. 

So could have Ben Amos
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    Southbank said:

This. I can’t think of a player that anyone in league 1 has signed yet who I would have really wanted at Charlton. If Fraser to Wigan is happening, then you can make that 1.
    And are we not the only team that paid out money for a player …. 

He also could have told Adkins a month ago. 
  • Reality is there aren’t bad goalkeepers as such whoever we end up with. 

Yes some better than others of course but I doubt our ultimate fate lies in the keeper we have. 

Other positions will be far more pivotal. 

Do you not remember Thuram?!?!
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Southbank said:

He also could have told Adkins a month ago. 
    Like you say, of course he knew and we knew he wasn't going to sign but you announce that a month ago and then every side knows we need a keeper and prices inflate. 
    Amos prob done us a favour not announcing it. 
  • cfgs said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Southbank said:

Ipswich have.

Certainly agree with that.
    He was brilliant in 17-18.  Less good this year - like Aneke, I’m not fussed to see him go
  • Richard J said:
    Sounds more like 2+2=5 to me due to the Hull / Adkins connection. Age 32 and been playing in Turkey. Hope we are looking to do better than this. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!