Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    One or two people not that happy with Amos......actually I don’t count myself in that category.
    However, should we be looking around for a good young prospect, who is already playing first team football, then we could do worse than consider Rotherham’s Blackman.....who coincidentally, is in fact a black man .
    Believe it or not, at 27, he is still on loan from Chelsea.  As he has been every season since 2014.

He is from Croydon so if Chelsea finally release him. 

No doubt he will sign another contract and go out on loan, again. 
    Chelsea's loan system is hilarious, 27 and still with them despite never playing a game for them.

I know it's sensible from Chelsea - they get loan fees, clubs to cover ages etc and then players may come good enough to get them a transfer fee (or reach the first team on a few odd occasions), bit it's not good for football.
    Lewis Baker is another one....26 years old and played 1 league cup game for them - in 2013.Has been loaned out 9 times.  He is never going to play for Chelsea. 
    He already has
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is AMB good enough to be an alternative to Amos?

We need a 2nd keeper good enough so that Bowyer/Adkins can be confident enough to drop Amos (as opposed to a keeper who comes in only when Amos is injured) and I genuinely have no idea how good AMB is.
    Eh?
    I meant during the course of this season, under both managers. I've no idea whether either Bowyer or Adkins would have seriously considered dropping Amos and giving AMB the gloves or not.

If neither thought AMB was anything other than injury cover, then that suggests that AMB needs to go out on loan next season, and we'll need another keeper to push Amos OR even two new keepers if Adkins doesn't rate Amos.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    One or two people not that happy with Amos......actually I don’t count myself in that category.
    However, should we be looking around for a good young prospect, who is already playing first team football, then we could do worse than consider Rotherham’s Blackman.....who coincidentally, is in fact a black man .
    Believe it or not, at 27, he is still on loan from Chelsea.  As he has been every season since 2014.

Chelsea's loan system is hilarious, 27 and still with them despite never playing a game for them.

I know it's sensible from Chelsea - they get loan fees, clubs to cover ages etc and then players may come good enough to get them a transfer fee (or reach the first team on a few odd occasions), bit it's not good for football.
    Lewis Baker is another one....26 years old and played 1 league cup game for them - in 2013.Has been loaned out 9 times.  He is never going to play for Chelsea. 
    He already has
    Pedantic thread, serial offender
  • Options
    Don’t want anything to do with Jamal Blackman. He’s a not a great keeper for starters, and secondly, the lifestyle he lives is not what we want at our club. He’s on an absolute fortune at Chelsea too. If he leaves Chelsea in future, he will end up near the lower echelons of the game or not playing at all. He’s not interested in making a career for himself, more what he can get from this lifestyle and money. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

He already has
    Again!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Don’t want anything to do with Jamal Blackman. He’s a not a great keeper for starters, and secondly, the lifestyle he lives is not what we want at our club. He’s on an absolute fortune at Chelsea too. If he leaves Chelsea in future, he will end up near the lower echelons of the game or not playing at all. He’s not interested in making a career for himself, more what he can get from this lifestyle and money. 
    Interesting. 

I have always been impressed the few times I have seen him  

Is it like Marcus Maddison?  In football terms he was always a player I admired in L1. As we have now seen his personality didn't fit in. 

Curbs always checked this aspect. Hopefully we will now go back to this due diligence. 
  • Options
    doronron said:
    Amos is a good Div 1 GK and should still be with us next season,don't think we need to change this position ,there are more important position's to fill and we should start with most (not all)of our over 30's first 
    More whether he gets a better offer than whether to keep him - weren't there rumours he wanted to go back up north?
  • Options
    After the season he’s had I can’t see him being sold, but I would have liked to see us sign Jerry Yates of Blackpool. 
    How about either of the Lee brothers, Ollie & Elliott?
  • Options
    After the season he’s had I can’t see him being sold, but I would have liked to see us sign Jerry Yates of Blackpool. 
    How about either of the Lee brothers, Ollie & Elliott?
    Neither the Lees are good enough to be 1st choice in a title winning team and no better than the "squad players" we currently have.  Would be change for changes sake. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about Mo Eisa from Peterborough? From Greenwich and not getting much game time which will be even less now they are promoted?
  • Options
    How about Mo Eisa from Peterborough? From Greenwich and not getting much game time which will be even less now they are promoted?
    1 goal in 26 this season, started last season like a house on fire then, well, went out.

He got to Greenwich from Sudan, via Dartford.  He was Peterborough's record signing. Proves every striker they sign isn't a major hit. 

I would have him if Peterborough were giving him away but he will be 27 come the start of the season and, apart from a 3 month patch, has never done it above league 2.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    1 goal in 26 this season, started last season like a house on fire then, well, went out.

He got to Greenwich from Sudan, via Dartford.  He was Peterborough's record signing. Proves every striker they sign isn't a major hit. 

I would have him if Peterborough were giving him away but he will be 27 come the start of the season and, apart from a 3 month patch, has never done it above league 2.
    Scored in his first game?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Scored in his first game?
    Last season he had 12 by the end of November then only got another 2. 

This season he scored 1 in 26. 
  • Options
    How about Matt Smith (the Millwall one)? A good target man, and out of contract. 

"I told Lee to sign Matt Smith, but both times he signed the wrong one so I'm delighted to finally get the one I wanted" explained Steve Gallen
  • Options
    buy up the best players from other teams in your division is probably the usual way of gaining promotion but no guarantees - probably less tried and tested but more beneficial long term would be to recruit young up and coming talent with the capability of playing at the top level who can grow together - i think i'm right in saying there were noises that this may be the way we should have gone rather than buying the journeymen types that we did last summer - the stockpiling of young talent by the big prem clubs has changed the landscape a bit now though so how you go about things probably needs to be a mixture of up and coming pedigree loans, proven division performers, you're own academy and a few punts on some hopefully unpolished / undiscovered young talent - not going to be easy but will be very interesting to see the recruitment this summer
  • Options
    Eric Lichaj?

Not in-the-know but NAs skipper at Hull and now back in England looking for a club.
    Isn't he a right back? We already have Gunter contracted for next season and i think i'd rather have Matthews who is 3 years younger than Lichaj.
    I agree but was told by a Hull fan that Lichaj is a big favourite of NADs.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Possibly the one time Driesen was right?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Sage said:
    Interesting. 

I have always been impressed the few times I have seen him  

Is it like Marcus Maddison?  In football terms he was always a player I admired in L1. As we have now seen his personality didn't fit in. 

Curbs always checked this aspect. Hopefully we will now go back to this due diligence. 
    Massively important factor for Seed too, according to his books.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Do you know him or someone who does to question his lifestyle? Just genuinely interested how you'd know this as most people have barely heard of the guy.

Also to say he's not interested in a career, he's been contracted to Chelsea for 10 years, that's not a bad career so far is it? That's better than 99% of the football world will achieve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Do you know him or someone who does to question his lifestyle? Just genuinely interested how you'd know this as most people have barely heard of the guy.

Also to say he's not interested in a career, he's been contracted to Chelsea for 10 years, that's not a bad career so far is it? That's better than 99% of the football world will achieve.
    I’d have thought plenty of players would do the same given the chance. He’ll likely earn more at Chelsea than he could if he moved on. Given he’s a GK he goes on loan expecting to be 1st choice, so less risk he ends up on the bench. If he does he can join another club on loan in the next season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Benjy Nurick sums up this well - we have a group of squad players, we need a core of great players who can turn defeats in to draws and draws in to wins.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-need-a-core-rebuild-this-summer-with-the-accrington-defeat-underlining-why-they-are-set-to-fall-short-in-play-off-push/
    That bloke does write well.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Great analysis

There have been some really unfair comments on here, saying that the players don't care or weren't trying, when the reality is that the quality isn't quite good enough, hence we'll finish between 6th and 8th
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Benjy Nurick sums up this well - we have a group of squad players, we need a core of great players who can turn defeats in to draws and draws in to wins.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-need-a-core-rebuild-this-summer-with-the-accrington-defeat-underlining-why-they-are-set-to-fall-short-in-play-off-push/
    Very good article, as usual with Benjy - hits the nail on the head.
  • Options
    Sage said:

I think Sage's point was that he's not interested in playing football. Being at Chelsea is a career, no doubt decent for his bank balance but has no desire to play. When he leaves Chelsea his lack of determination will put a lot of clubs off. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

I think Sage's point was that he's not interested in playing football. Being at Chelsea is a career, no doubt decent for his bank balance but has no desire to play. When he leaves Chelsea his lack of determination will put a lot of clubs off. 
    But surely the fact he's happy to go out on loan every season proves he is interested in playing? Not sure how much say he gets in his moves but he's been to Sweden, Holland, up north etc, so is obviously willing to do more than sit in their reserves.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more.

If you replaced Oshilaja, Smith, Schwartz and the 2 unused places with 5 players of the quality of Cullen, Beilek, Taylor etc we would have been at the play offs as an absolute minimum.
  • Options
    Not sure if somebody has already mentioned Paul Mullin from league 2 Cambridge.  31 goals this season.  Will be a free agent.