Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

Comments

• I would imagine Pratley and Pearce may be signed up as player-coaches next season. Keep their experience and dressing room value but make it clear they will only play if we get a lot of injuries/suspensions.
  • edited April 2021
    I think there is a lot of chucking the baby out with the bath water going on.  We, realistically, need a 25ish man squad, at least, in this divison.  Below is a list of players who played a league game in 18/19.  And the number of games they played

Dillon Phillips 27
    Anfernee Dijksteel 21+9
    Lewis Page 11
    Krystian Bielik (on loan from Arsenal) 34
    Patrick Bauer 35
    Jason Pearce 28
    Mark Marshall 6+16
    Jake Forster-Caskey 0+1
    Lyle Taylor 41
    Josh Parker 3+7
    Tariqe Fosu 14+13 
    Ben Reeves 22+7
    Igor Vetokele 12+11
    Darren Pratley 20+8
    Jamie Ward (on loan from Nottingham Forest) 6+3
    Ben Purrington (on loan from Rotherham United) 18+0
    Joe Aribo 35+1
    Karlan Grant 25+3
    Albie Morgan 6+2
    Chris Solly 36+1
    Jed Steer (on loan from Aston Villa) 19
    Jonny Williams 14+2
    Naby Sarr 31+5
    Josh Cullen (on loan from West Ham United) 29
    Nicky Ajose 6+3
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 1
    George Lapslie 11+16
    Taylor Maloney 0+1
    Reeco Hackett-Fairchild 1+6 
    Toby Stevenson 2+1

That's 30 players.  The 5 in bold are significantly better than their 2021 alternatives.  The 9 in italics are debatable (their 2019 selves, not the 2020 or 2021 versions).   The other 16 wouldn't get in this squad.

I would bring in the best 6 players I could, almost regardless of position.  Add them to the 19 we have had in the last 2 match day squads, then work through the 19 on a case by case basis.  Assuming we could keep all the ones we wanted to.  Only replace them for squad balance or if you have a significant upgrade.  Else we will get to Christmas and still need "time to gel". 
  • edited April 2021
    arny23394 said:
    I’ve just read a comment saying we should keep Gunter, Pearce, Watson & Pratley 🤯. Do some fans not watch our games? 
    Did you read my full comment?

I accept that Gunter is under contract and would like to retain Matthews. I say that we should keep Pratley and Watson if wages allow and this is partly because Ben may have triggered his games for a second season . I also would not play them together unless it is in the last throes of a game where we are leading. I also stated I would like a new DM similarly I would retain Pearce as a squad player not as a starter. 
  • The simple thing to do would be to start the search by looking at the teams which got promoted and pick up their players, if available. But, that said, I am sh1t at Fantasy Football so can probably be ignored.
  • Saga Lout said:
    The simple thing to do would be to start the search by looking at the teams which got promoted and pick up their players, if available. But, that said, I am sh1t at Fantasy Football so can probably be ignored.
    Surely they'll keep the good ones though?

Think about us in 2012 or 2019, it wasn't the better players we were letting go but squad players who hadn't played a big part in helping us up.

Gary Doherty/Josh Parker etc type players.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think there is a lot of chucking the baby out with the bath water going on.  We, realistically, need a 25ish man squad, at least, in this divison.
    Exactly, we will need a big squad and will be better off if we haven't had to replace absolutely everyone, both in terms of the quality we can bring in and how settled the squad is from the start. Some people tend to forget that real life isn't Football Manager, you can't just switch everyone round and hope it works every time. It takes time

• Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Dare I say it but Marques wouldn’t be a bad shout......but might be impossible as Pompey would want to keep him no doubt.
    They hate him at Pompey. He isn't the level of quality we need. 
    17 goals and 6 assists........6 more than the next highest.
    Why on earth would they hate him.....can’t see it myself?
    Speak to some Portsmouth fans and see for yourself. He isn't the level we need. 
  • With strikers, we should be thinking 'what would Peterborough do?' Which probably involves paying a chunk for a pacey, youngish striker either proven from our level, or a standout from prem u23 that can't make it to the 1st team right now. 
  • With strikers, we should be thinking 'what would Peterborough do?' Which probably involves paying a chunk for a pacey, youngish striker either proven from our level, or a standout from prem u23 that can't make it to the 1st team right now. 
    The thing with Peterborough is you never think "wow where did they sign him from".  They do seem to get it right much more than they get it wrong though. 
  • arny23394 said:
    I’ve just read a comment saying we should keep Gunter, Pearce, Watson & Pratley 🤯. Do some fans not watch our games? 
    I would definitely keep Pearce.
    I definitely wouldn’t 
    We could have had JCH as well before he went to Peterborough.  They do always seem to pull a decent striker out the bag. 
    We could have had JCH as well before he went to Peterborough.  They do always seem to pull a decent striker out the bag. 
    Does anyone have any good tips on who might be available as that type of talismanic striker with a bit of pace and strength about them?
  • None of the players that are under contract will be moved on unless someone else wants them. They are good to have around for solid depth if nothing else.

I hope the first XI gets a significant upgrade but kicking every player out the door isn't a realistic way to build a squad of players that will compete for each other.
    Does anyone have any good tips on who might be available as that type of talismanic striker with a bit of pace and strength about them?
    Ajose 
    Church 
    Sordell 
  • edited April 2021
    With strikers, we should be thinking 'what would Peterborough do?' Which probably involves paying a chunk for a pacey, youngish striker either proven from our level, or a standout from prem u23 that can't make it to the 1st team right now. 
    I think Joe Pigott is that man from this season, looking forward to the next. 20 goals for struggling Wimbledon side is impressive - he's most definitely their talisman. I'm thinking of Lyle who came from Wimbledon or Clarke-Harris that came from Bristol Rovers... these players don't necessarily jump ship from other promotion contenders.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think there is a lot of chucking the baby out with the bath water going on.  We, realistically, need a 25ish man squad, at least, in this divison.
    Exactly, we will need a big squad and will be better off if we haven't had to replace absolutely everyone, both in terms of the quality we can bring in and how settled the squad is from the start. Some people tend to forget that real life isn't Football Manager, you can't just switch everyone round and hope it works every time. It takes time

Aren't we limited to a 20 man squad this coming season...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

Nope was part of the "wage cap" rules.  
  • I thought that was part of the salary cap?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Yes, in leagues 1 & 2 squad sizes will be limited to 20, Championship limit 25, but the P.F.A will be challenging this & will take it to arbitration.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/pfa-efl-squad-size-limits-b1828542.html
  • Joe Piggott and Scott Fraser for starts for me. Liked the look of O’ Hara at MK and young CB at Gillingham. I can see us going for Jordan Graham if he’s a freebie. With the cap gone I think we will have an exciting summer. 
  • Davo55 said:
    There'll be a lot of options. We're still an attractive option for players in L1 - provided TS comes through with an appropriate wage budget.

Easier to say what we don't want:

1. NOT a lot of over-the hill, experienced warhorses.
    2. NOT anyone with several years of injury problems and inability to play the large majority of the matches.
    3. NOT too many loans, even from Prem clubs. Two or three at most.
    This.

Hopefully, for the first time in years, we will not be signing all the riff raff that are left over once all the good players have all been signed up. All the expensive has-beens or injury prone strikers which means we cant play a settled side.

It's a shame the Watson has triggered a contract extension as I would like to see him, Pratley & Gunter all shown the door. We have too many "names" that are just too old & not mobile enough. I've noticed that I don't know many of the oppositions players & their teams aren't full of journeyman players looking for a final payday. Also, no more internationals that means we have to keep calling games off. 

And only use loans where absolutely necessary. Certainly not 6 in a squad of only 20 & then 5 that get picked week in & week out - just means more squad building the next summer as they invariably dont stay & we have to start again the next season. 

Hooray for the international aspect of you post. I'm tired of average players who play for little countries in meaningless qualifiers. 

I would hope that we're looking above League One. There are Championship players who are fringe players who are hungry to prove their worth. They can be persuaded to come and get us to win League One. If there's no wage cap and TS is serious about his ambitions then this is the least we should do.
  • Your suggestions up to now:

Scott Fraser
    from MK Dons is a great player at this level and a realistic signing
    Fraser of MKD
    Lowery of Crewe.
    Carlos Mendes Gomes of Morecambe
    Joe Piggot of AFC Wimbledon
    Joel Randall at Exeter
    Jack Tucker at Gills
    I liked the look of Bishop and Charles at Accrington when we played them. 
    Wonder if we'll go back in for Jordan Graham at Gillingham, 
    Dare I say it but Marquis wouldn’t be a bad shout.
    What about Vadaine Oliver? 16 goals this season
    A few players I've liked the look of this season aside from the obvious like Fraser: Joe Powell at Burton, came through at West Ham
    Conor Grant at Plymouth, came through at Everton, Camará at Plymouth.
    Lowery & Dale impressed, Piggott, Fraser & the lad at Wigan whose name escapes me?
    I quite like their CB Adam Jackson. I also like Blackpool's CB Daniel Ballard on loan from Arsenal.
    From Lincoln I'd love it if we could sign Jorge Grant or Montsma.
    McCann at St Johnstone had looked very promising in both games I've seen him in.
    We need a couple of quality CM's, one with a real physical presence like Camará at Plymouth.
    Someone like Camará at Plymouth might fit the bill in terms of a strong, pacey, ball carrying defensive mid, though I'm not aware how consistent he is.
    Cameron Brannagan is one I'd like. Ben Whiteman hasn't settled at all at Preston. Scott Fraser would be a good signing if Adkins wants to go 4-2-3-1.
    Paul Mullin has 29 goals for Cambridge this season and I'm pretty sure he's out of contract at the end of the season.
    I always liked George Dobson currently on loan at AFC from the Mackems.
    What about Sean Goss of Shrewsbury ? More experienced options might include John Bostock at Donny or another MKD player Josh McEachran.
    Warren O'Hora, CB who has been on loan at MK Dons from Brighton, class act.
    I would be surprised if we didn’t go back for Joe Piggot.
    Michael Nottingham at Accrington Stanley was very good against us at the Valley.
    Joe Piggott and Scott Fraser for starts for me. Liked the look of O’ Hara at MK and young CB at Gillingham. I can see us going for Jordan Graham if he’s a freebie.

Let's see if we can sign any of them.

• Don’t know names but there should be about 14 of them.