Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

Comments

• Options
    Think we should maybe get Messi or Ronaldo on loan.

Southall rather enjoyed taking the piss by flirting with that idea while we didn't even actually have a pot to piss in and were under a transfer embargo 😉
  • Options
    Afolyan from Bolton. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    The only players in the current squad I would like to keep are
    Famwoe ( maybe Norwich will sell now )

Innis. Although injury record worries me.

DJ. One for the coming years.

Gilbey. I think he will continue to improve.

Millar. Will develop as he learns

Stockley. But not as our lone target man.

Matthews 

I honestly cant make a case for any of the others. Regret leaving Chuks out but if he cant seem to play 90 mins then I cant see the point

Forster-Caskey for a start.
    Why is that mate. Do you fancy another season of watching him failing to miss the first man from set pieces and corners ? Imo he just flatters to deceive 90% of the time and just doesnt cut it
    A very decent player at this level, but I don't disagree about his set pieces, I don't think he should be on them. If you think he flattered to deceive 90% of the time then I don't think you've seen much this season, he's been very very good overall. 
  • Options
    Afolyan from Bolton. 
    On loan from West Ham
  • Options
    One more not on any lists on this thread but is a young lad in L2, CM, high energy, 8 goals in 28 games which is not too shoddy, was a local lad also but now with Mansfield... Oh and don't we have a buy back clause.?
  • Options
    One more not on any lists on this thread but is a young lad in L2, CM, high energy, 8 goals in 28 games which is not too shoddy, was a local lad also but now with Mansfield... Oh and don't we have a buy back clause.?
    I thought letting him go was a mistake too.
  • Options
    Not sure if we do, it was Sarpong-Wiredu we have that clause for.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Matthews 

I honestly cant make a case for any of the others. Regret leaving Chuks out but if he cant seem to play 90 mins then I cant see the point

Why is that mate. Do you fancy another season of watching him failing to miss the first man from set pieces and corners ? Imo he just flatters to deceive 90% of the time and just doesnt cut it
    A very decent player at this level, but I don't disagree about his set pieces, I don't think he should be on them. If you think he flattered to deceive 90% of the time then I don't think you've seen much this season, he's been very very good overall. 
    I have seen every minute of every game mate. We all have our own opinions which is the point of a forum. Yes he has had a few decent games but he has had more poor ones imo. Atleast we agree he shouldn't be on set pieces lol
  • Options
    our current squad is too old overall and we need fresh young players. Look around at all the divisions and see how youngsters are coming into first team contention at a young age. Thing is, the competition for good kids is intense and the 'big' clubs are snapping them up seemingly whilst they are still in the womb ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    clive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think there is a lot of chucking the baby out with the bath water going on.  We, realistically, need a 25ish man squad, at least, in this divison.
    Exactly, we will need a big squad and will be better off if we haven't had to replace absolutely everyone, both in terms of the quality we can bring in and how settled the squad is from the start. Some people tend to forget that real life isn't Football Manager, you can't just switch everyone round and hope it works every time. It takes time

Aren't we limited to a 20 man squad this coming season...?
    Yes, in leagues 1 & 2 squad sizes will be limited to 20, Championship limit 25, but the P.F.A will be challenging this & will take it to arbitration.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/pfa-efl-squad-size-limits-b1828542.html
    20 players is enough anyway, especially as under 21 players don't count.

It's ridiculous that the likes of Minto and Leaburn made their debut in the top flight, whereas now we can't blood youngsters in the 3rd division. 
    This in spades. For 2 months we played Pratley or Gunter as Centre halves when we had a couple of young lads waiting in the wings for whom it was their natural position. I'm not expecting 16 years olds like when Shelvey or Gomez were bloodied in but Barker is 18 & played a few games before our 2 main centre halves got injured.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Matthews 

I have seen every minute of every game mate. We all have our own opinions which is the point of a forum. Yes he has had a few decent games but he has had more poor ones imo. Atleast we agree he shouldn't be on set pieces lol

I appreciate you have seen every game Andy but when watching on Valley pass you don't only miss Free kicks when the director has no clue on when to show a replay but you miss so much of the off the ball positions and work rate of certain players and how quick they get back in position.

There's a reason Gareth Southgate doesn't just watch his potential squad play from the comfort of his Sofa.

You are right JFC does get a lot of his passes wrong but has battled away, but I feel like voting for Chuk's as he qualifies with an unbelievable 35 match involvement. The truth is Aneke has played about one full Game and too many cameos because of mystery injuries. 14 League goals could/should have been 26.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Matthews 

I appreciate you have seen every game Andy but when watching on Valley pass you don't only miss Free kicks when the director has no clue on when to show a replay but you miss so much of the off the ball positions and work rate of certain players and how quick they get back in position.

There's a reason Gareth Southgate doesn't just watch his potential squad play from the comfort of his Sofa.

You are right JFC does get a lot of his passes wrong but has battled away, but I feel like voting for Chuk's as he qualifies with an unbelievable 35 match involvement. The truth is Aneke has played about one full Game and too many cameos because of mystery injuries. 14 League goals could/should have been 26.
    Yup Chuks is a bit of an enigma isnt he. Without doubt he should have had more games but there must be a reason why he hasnt. I think he has been viewed as an impact sub rather than a starter. I cant see him staying with us which is a shame. The close season is going to be interesting that's for sure. Hopefully we get some good youngsters signed up and the building for the future starts. I think we will be in a better position than most other clubs at our level in terms of prospects. I know league one will be a bit of minefield as always next year but hopefully our financial security and future plans will be a selling point to attract players
  • Options
    JFC and Aneke, playing or not, has not been the reason we haven't got promoted.  Them being our best players is the reason.

We will play at least 3 central midfielders in almost every game next season we play next season.  Be it 433, 352, the diamond or the lopsided 442.  Because you almost have to.

If we went and signed 2 players of the quailty of Bielik and Cullen or Hollands and Stephens JFC would still play 30 odd games.  Look how many games the likes of Lapslie, Reeves, Russell and Hughes played in our promotion seasons.  Also let's not forget JFC best game in a Charlton shirt was arguably as a left wing back.

The same with Aneke, at no stage this season have we had 4 strikers that were good enough AND fit at the same time.  How many times have we had to bring him on to try and save a game.  Far far too many.  If we were bring him on to turn 1-0s into 2s or 3s it would be a completely different ball game. 
  • Options
    Reckon both Piggott and Fraser will be seeking Championship moves. 
    Pigott is out of contract so will easily get a championship move.

Saw a link on here last week that even Watford were interested.
    Does anyone think that TS is planning to compete with championship clubs on wages when owning a club competing in League one? 
    He's a businessman first and fan a distant second. His model will be to streamline the squad, cut out the fat and buy bargains. He will be guided by those he has put in place, to run the business as well as can be achieved on the lowest budget. Attention to youth will be interesting. Lincoln went with the youth model this season dropping their squad age from 31 to 22 during the promotion clear out on preseason. They had a wobble but seem to have overachieved much more than our overachieving team (as Bowyer put it).
  • Options
    Eric Lichaj?

Not in-the-know but NAs skipper at Hull and now back in England looking for a club.
  • Options
    Eric Lichaj?

Not in-the-know but NAs skipper at Hull and now back in England looking for a club.
    Don’t know enough about him and we can’t rule out all older players doing well but that’s exactly the sort of signing I hope we avoid. Let others gamble on “big” names still having the hunger and energy to compete well in this league.
  • Options
    Eric Lichaj?

Isn't he a right back? We already have Gunter contracted for next season and i think i'd rather have Matthews who is 3 years younger than Lichaj.
  • Options
    Eric Lichaj?

Isn't he a right back? We already have Gunter contracted for next season and i think i'd rather have Matthews who is 3 years younger than Lichaj.
    He can play both but mainly right.  If we did sign him I would be whelmed.  If that's the type of player we are signing we would be better sticking than twisting 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One or two people not that happy with Amos......actually I don’t count myself in that category.
    However, should we be looking around for a good young prospect, who is already playing first team football, then we could do worse than consider Rotherham’s Blackman.....who coincidentally, is in fact a black man .
  • Options
    One or two people not that happy with Amos......actually I don’t count myself in that category.
    However, should we be looking around for a good young prospect, who is already playing first team football, then we could do worse than consider Rotherham’s Blackman.....who coincidentally, is in fact a black man .
    Believe it or not, at 27, he is still on loan from Chelsea.  As he has been every season since 2014.

He is from Croydon so if Chelsea finally release him. 

No doubt he will sign another contract and go out on loan, again. 
  • Options
    Is AMB good enough to be an alternative to Amos?

We need a 2nd keeper good enough so that Bowyer/Adkins can be confident enough to drop Amos (as opposed to a keeper who comes in only when Amos is injured) and I genuinely have no idea how good AMB is.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Believe it or not, at 27, he is still on loan from Chelsea.  As he has been every season since 2014.

Chelsea's loan system is hilarious, 27 and still with them despite never playing a game for them.

I know it's sensible from Chelsea - they get loan fees, clubs to cover ages etc and then players may come good enough to get them a transfer fee (or reach the first team on a few odd occasions), bit it's not good for football.
  • Options

We need a 2nd keeper good enough so that Bowyer/Adkins can be confident enough to drop Amos (as opposed to a keeper who comes in only when Amos is injured) and I genuinely have no idea how good AMB is.
    Eh?
  • Options
    Afolyan from Bolton. 
    On loan from West Ham
    Yes I know, but they have first option to buy and will take it up. Then we need to nick him 😀
  • Options

Didn't realise we only loaned Bowyer out to Birmingham?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I had no idea Blackman is 27......he looks much younger.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chelsea's loan system is hilarious, 27 and still with them despite never playing a game for them.

I know it's sensible from Chelsea - they get loan fees, clubs to cover ages etc and then players may come good enough to get them a transfer fee (or reach the first team on a few odd occasions), bit it's not good for football.
    Lewis Baker is another one....26 years old and played 1 league cup game for them - in 2013.Has been loaned out 9 times.  He is never going to play for Chelsea.