Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

Comments

• Options
    Don’t know names but there should be about 14 of them. 
    Minimum. 

I'd only be keeping six or seven of the current squad, one or two others we don't even have a choice unless someone comes in for them.   
  • Options
    The only players in the current squad I would like to keep are
    Famwoe ( maybe Norwich will sell now )

Innis. Although injury record worries me.

DJ. One for the coming years.

Gilbey. I think he will continue to improve.

Millar. Will develop as he learns

Stockley. But not as our lone target man.

Matthews 

I honestly cant make a case for any of the others. Regret leaving Chuks out but if he cant seem to play 90 mins then I cant see the point

• Options
    Ryan Hedges from Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Atleast this coming transfer window we wont have to endure that famous photo alongside the headline "big fish incoming " only to have Watson revealed 😂😂
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Atleast this coming transfer window we wont have to endure that famous photo alongside the headline "big fish incoming " only to have Watson revealed 😂😂
    No with Adkins morning walks it will be big bird incoming. Rosanne Barr first signing...
  • Options
    Jordan cousins
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I would be surprised if we didn’t go back for Joe Piggot. Probably depends on whether he will have any championship clubs after him who are willing to offer him first team football. 

I imagine being a free agent would allow us to bump up his wages. If we can make these types of signings I think we could be competitive without having to spend big transfer fees. 
    Piggot is still pissed off with the way Charlton treated him so he won't come back. 
    To be fair when I saw him interviewed he said it wasn't nice the way he was treated but it was the previous regime etc.

Doubt he'd still hold a grudge if he doesn't get a better offer than us.

Edit:

Just found the quote:

“I still love the club and keep track of things, even though they treated me really poorly,” Pigott said.

“That wasn’t the fault of anyone who is at the club now though, that was just how things were with the ownership and all the rest".

• Options
    AndyG said:
    No with Adkins morning walks it will be big bird incoming. Rosanne Barr first signing...
    Big bird on the wing?
    Snuffleupagus up front - he’s got a nose for a goal…

I’ll get me coat.
  • Options
    Reckon both Piggott and Fraser will be seeking Championship moves. 
    Pigott is out of contract so will easily get a championship move.

Saw a link on here last week that even Watford were interested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/league-one-contracts-expiring-7929650

Some very decent players on this list although not 100% sure it’s all accurate. Nonetheless a good starting point.
  • Options
    We need to reduce the average age of the squad for a start, or at least the average age of the starting XI. Also we need to reduce our reliance on loanees. 

Bowyer steadily increased this during his tenure. In our 2018/19 promotion squad, 51% of appearances were made by players aged between 20 & 24, this has dropped to just 23% this season. In 18/19 14% of appearances were made by players aged 30+, this is 31% this season, our highest yet. 

If anyone is curious I've written a bit more about this and included contract lengths in my blog here

This is the work of a true Addick. The only thing missing is the train they get to the ground on match days.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We desperately need a first choice LB. I'd love Conor Ogilvie, his stats are insane, he creates chances and he is a classy footballer who can keep the ball. 

We also need a first choice RB who can get up and down the pitch and offer more going forward. Don't have a suggestion but perhaps Barker will be making more of appearance next season and he might be starting at RB instead of CB, as Gomez did. 

We need a technically gifted striker who can link play, Pigott would be perfect, but he's surely looking at the Championship with the wages that come with it. 

One thing that does concern me is our scouting network. It's basically just been Steve Gallen, have we got more scouts in? Is he still relying on players being suggested to him by agents, etc? Have we built a network of trusted people in the short space of time since Sandgaard took over? I hope so. 
  • Options
    Joe Pritchard from Accrington. I would take half the Accrington team. I expect the bigger clubs in league 1 to probably sign 15 of their players in the summer. They have some excellent players and have recruited wonderful for a club of their size.
  • Options
    Famewo is a decent defender but he's also probably the worst passer of a football I've ever seen play for us. I don't know that that's what we need for the kind of football we want to play. He makes Pearce look like Sarr
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The facts that we need to sign at least half a new squad and the departees won’t be lamented are obvious enough. I hope Nige has an ambitious wish list and Thomas a bulging wallet.  

However, just as important for me is that we find a way to play that makes us look like we are actually a team who practice all week. I’m sick and tired over the last few years with painfully few exceptions of us playing in a way that makes us look like a bunch of disjointed strangers. Week after week, average teams come to play and suddenly they look like Man City. Crewe and MKD in particular this season. Both of those games I’d argue that man for man we had the better players (although there is a valid argument that our lots’ reputations are overblown).   But the simple things like passing to each other and playing in basic triangles or whatever Man City do, are just lacking. It’s like eleven individuals thrown onto a pitch. Sure there have been glorious exceptions and yes, lest we all forget the reasons behind the state we’ve been in. But please, just get us playing properly regardless of personnel. 
  • Options
    Joe Pritchard from Accrington. I would take half the Accrington team. I expect the bigger clubs in league 1 to probably sign 15 of their players in the summer. They have some excellent players and have recruited wonderful for a club of their size.
    The success this season of them, Lincoln and Blackpool has shown you don't need to spend fortunes in this league. Obviously it'll help if you can buy good players but in a league where not many clubs actually spend a fee on players, a lot of it essentially comes down to spotting a bargain.

Personally i think if you can sign a good spine, goalscoring striker, quality midfield and solid centre back who can all stay fit, then the rest of the team can fit in around them.

Bauer - Cullen/Bielik - Taylor
    Morrison - Stephens/Jackson - BWP

Obviously of course every side is trying to sign those type of players though.
  • Options
    Sorinola at MK looked a very good prospect, attacking full back. Think he is out of contract.
  • Options
    I think you have to factor in the physical elements of league one in your recruitment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I wonder if as well as others from League 1 etc, we'll be taking the Brentford type approach of looking at players being released (or being available for a fee) from PL academies, presumably we'll know a few from scouting at that level for potential loans.

We did it with Inniss last year too so it shows we're looking.

Like Peterborough with Toney, as another example.
  • Options
    Just as important as getting in the right players, is getting them in relatively early in the summer window, so that Adkins and the core of the team have a summer to bond together, and learn a way of playing

Get this core right and then top it up with a few decent loan players as the window closes
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Matthews 

I honestly cant make a case for any of the others. Regret leaving Chuks out but if he cant seem to play 90 mins then I cant see the point

Forster-Caskey for a start.
  • Options
    I see Ben Hamer would be likely to be 3rd choice at Swansea next season, could see him moving somewhere.

May be a decent enough signing - not a spectacular one but he's decent at League 1 level.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    If we do that we need to find somebody called Benson.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We desperately need a first choice LB. I'd love Conor Ogilvie, his stats are insane, he creates chances and he is a classy footballer who can keep the ball. 

We also need a first choice RB who can get up and down the pitch and offer more going forward. Don't have a suggestion but perhaps Barker will be making more of appearance next season and he might be starting at RB instead of CB, as Gomez did. 

We need a technically gifted striker who can link play, Pigott would be perfect, but he's surely looking at the Championship with the wages that come with it. 

One thing that does concern me is our scouting network. It's basically just been Steve Gallen, have we got more scouts in? Is he still relying on players being suggested to him by agents, etc? Have we built a network of trusted people in the short space of time since Sandgaard took over? I hope so. 
    Maybe he might think he has unfinished business with us? He is certainly one I would like us to sign.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Matthews 

Forster-Caskey for a start.
    Why is that mate. Do you fancy another season of watching him failing to miss the first man from set pieces and corners ? Imo he just flatters to deceive 90% of the time and just doesnt cut it
    We need a squad. JFC is decent enough at our level. Would hope we might get players who are ahead of him but I’m happy for him to stay.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    If we do that we need to find somebody called Benson.
    Ron Benson and Tony Hedges https://youtu.be/NI2-9TTZzK4