Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

Comments

• keeping Stockley would be a good start, fits the way Adkins wants to play and has played elsewhere, for example, Lambert at Southampton. We'll see a load more from Gilbey and a couple of others next season. 
  • I think we need more mobility up top than Stockley. Lambert was an incredible player, technically, and was not immobile in his prime. In an ideal world you'd want the combination on Stockley and Aneke.

Basically I think we need more pace and mobility throughout the first team. I'd invest in full-back/wingbacks with strength, an engine and ball carrying ability. How many times have we been opened up this season by overloads on our wings? It would be great if we could do that to teams more often. Someone like Kamara at Plymouth might fit the bill in terms of a strong, pacey, ball carrying defensive mid, though I'm not aware how consistent he is. Then get some more pace on the wings and in AM. Easier said than done, and I fancy a few teams in League One will be looking for similar and have the clout to match us. I'm half excited, half bricking it.
  • Get JFC, Matthews and Aneke signed up for next season.

Would be keen on getting Famewo, Stockley and potentially Millar + Maatsen back too.

Agree with the above that we need more mobility in our team, a few pacey wingers/forwards and a more mobile defensive midfielder to play alongside Gilbey and JFC are needed.

I am undecided on Amos, Has had some excellent games this season but also conceded some shockers, is he consistent enough for a promotion chasing side?

Whatever happens I think this summer's recruitment needs to be on point.
  • Cameron Brannagan is one I'd like, though I think he'll be signed by a Championship club this summer. Ben Whiteman hasn't settled at all at Preston and they are apparently looking at Brannagan, so I wonder if we could go in for Whiteman if that happens. Scott Fraser would be a good signing if Adkins wants to go 4-2-3-1 again, though considering Dons basically signed him to replace Gilbey I doubt we would have both.
    The most important signings for us are a physical, mobile midfielder who can screen the defence and also play, and a striker who is capable of playing on his own up front, holding up the ball but also able to play on the deck. If we can't get hold of a striker who can play this way, and it'll be difficult to find one, then we need a winger who can provide a lot of goals cutting in and creating and finishing chances, but who that is I have no idea. I'd also quite like Dion Charles, but he'll likely get a Championship move as well
  • I think we need more mobility up top than Stockley. Lambert was an incredible player, technically, and was not immobile in his prime. In an ideal world you'd want the combination on Stockley and Aneke.

Basically I think we need more pace and mobility throughout the first team. I'd invest in full-back/wingbacks with strength, an engine and ball carrying ability. How many times have we been opened up this season by overloads on our wings? It would be great if we could do that to teams more often. Someone like Kamara at Plymouth might fit the bill in terms of a strong, pacey, ball carrying defensive mid, though I'm not aware how consistent he is. Then get some more pace on the wings and in AM. Easier said than done, and I fancy a few teams in League One will be looking for similar and have the clout to match us. I'm half excited, half bricking it.
    i.e. another Lyle Taylor or Yann Kermorgant
  • We need a proper clear out and as many as 15 players in

GK
    RB, 2x CB, LB
    RM, 3x CM, 2X LM
    2x AM
    2x ST

That would be to replace AMB going out on loan, Gunter, Famewo and one of Pearce or Deji leaving, Maatsen going back, the fact we only have one right sided winger, Shinnie, Smith and one of Watson and Pratley all going, Millar going and being short at LW already, Maddison going and needing another creative midfielder, Stockley going back and possibly Schwartz moved along. 

Of course a couple of them may be retained or signed on loan again, but even then 10 is the minimum amount of new players we're in need of, IMO
  • Rothko said:
    keeping Stockley would be a good start, fits the way Adkins wants to play and has played elsewhere, for example, Lambert at Southampton. We'll see a load more from Gilbey and a couple of others next season. 

I'm not sure if Stockley does fit the way Adkins wants to play personally but he's playing because it's the best system he can play for the players we have. For me Lambert was more than a big lump upfront, scored plenty of goals with his feet too.

i.e. another Lyle Taylor AND Yann Kermorgant
    Lets be greedy :-) 
  • Rothko said:
    keeping Stockley would be a good start, fits the way Adkins wants to play and has played elsewhere, for example, Lambert at Southampton. We'll see a load more from Gilbey and a couple of others next season. 

I'm not sure if Stockley does fit the way Adkins wants to play personally but he's playing because it's the best system he can play for the players we have. For me Lambert was more than a big lump upfront, scored plenty of goals with his feet too.
    Adkins played two up top with Lambert too. If we were to  do the same then Stockley would be a huge asset. I don't think he is as the lone man. Leads the line brilliantly but his movement isn't enough and I fear we go long ball a bit too often. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Alan Curbishley
    Boring...... we have a manager move on.... ! 
  • Dare I say it but Marquis wouldn’t be a bad shout......but might be impossible as Pompey would want to keep him no doubt.
    No thanks ... Ex Millwall and his penalties are worse than Stockley’s 
  • Davo55 said:
    There'll be a lot of options. We're still an attractive option for players in L1 - provided TS comes through with an appropriate wage budget.

Easier to say what we don't want:

1. NOT a lot of over-the hill, experienced warhorses.
    2. NOT anyone with several years of injury problems and inability to play the large majority of the matches.
    3. NOT too many loans, even from Prem clubs. Two or three at most.
    The good thing is these have always been the effect of mismanagement by bad owners or the stupid wage cap. Given that we shouldn't be suffering due to either of those things next season I don't think we'll see any of those things in large amounts like we usually do
  • Hopefully scouring L2 and the national league for the best talent.

Ten years ago, we assembled that 11/12 squad with some of the best players in the league for couple of million. I think that has the potential to get quite pricey in 2021.

DJ for 300k was a great deal. Not sure how often that can be repeated.
  • Maybe NA can help us get 1/2 good loanees from the PL. The calibre has dropped a bit season by season. I'm sure he can prep the clubs by telling the world how much he improves absolutely everybody. 
  • Paul Mullin has 29 goals for Cambridge this season and I'm pretty sure he's out of contract at the end of the season. Could be decent business on a free
  •  CAFCTrev said:

Looks like a right knob! ;-)
  • edited April 2021
    Paul Mullin has 29 goals for Cambridge this season and I'm pretty sure he's out of contract at the end of the season. Could be decent business on a free
    He also scored 16 goals over the previous 4 seasons.  One you would have to watch.  He could well end up an Ajose, he could well end up something else. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2021
    Davo55 said:
    There'll be a lot of options. We're still an attractive option for players in L1 - provided TS comes through with an appropriate wage budget.

Easier to say what we don't want:

1. NOT a lot of over-the hill, experienced warhorses.
    2. NOT anyone with several years of injury problems and inability to play the large majority of the matches.
    3. NOT too many loans, even from Prem clubs. Two or three at most.
    This.

Hopefully, for the first time in years, we will not be signing all the riff raff that are left over once all the good players have all been signed up. All the expensive has-beens or injury prone strikers which means we cant play a settled side.

It's a shame the Watson has triggered a contract extension as I would like to see him, Pratley & Gunter all shown the door. We have too many "names" that are just too old & not mobile enough. I've noticed that I don't know many of the oppositions players & their teams aren't full of journeyman players looking for a final payday. Also, no more internationals that means we have to keep calling games off. 

And only use loans where absolutely necessary. Certainly not 6 in a squad of only 20 & then 5 that get picked week in & week out - just means more squad building the next summer as they invariably dont stay & we have to start again the next season. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Paul Mullin has 29 goals for Cambridge this season and I'm pretty sure he's out of contract at the end of the season. Could be decent business on a free
    He also scored 16 goals over the previous 4 seasons.  One you would have to watch.  He could well end up an Ajose, he could well end up something else. 
    Very much, which makes him likely being available on a free an attractive prospect. He may have hit his rhythm later as a player like Lyle or it may just be a one season success story like Ajose, but we will need to replace Aneke and possibly Stockley and Schwartz in the squad so we'll need to bring a couple in. Getting a free who has had a great season might be a decent start
  • Not gonna lie this close season could be scary if we are still shopping for Division 3...

• Aneke ......seems injury prone & according to bowyer unable to play 90 minutes. Is there any point giving him a new contract when with a bigger budget we should be able to bring in someone of quality who can last the whole game & hopefully the season. Yes he can score a goal for sure but we can't be waiting for 3/4 of the game to be played before he comes on ..................... can we ?  :D
  • Aneke ......seems injury prone & according to bowyer unable to play 90 minutes. Is there any point giving him a new contract when with a bigger budget we should be able to bring in someone of quality who can last the whole game & hopefully the season. Yes he can score a goal for sure but we can't be waiting for 3/4 of the game to be played before he comes on ..................... can we ?  :D
    I think if keep hold of him as an impact sub - if he is willing to do that.  I don’t  know how his career at MK dons went, but I’m wondering if it’s just since he has been with us that he can’t manage a full 90 mins? Or indeed 90 mins over a 2 game period. 
  • Some footballers.
    I think if keep hold of him as an impact sub - if he is willing to do that.  I don’t  know how his career at MK dons went, but I’m wondering if it’s just since he has been with us that he can’t manage a full 90 mins? Or indeed 90 mins over a 2 game period. 
    Think he was known as "hamstring" at MK