Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrestling thread

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I think we're set for Charlotte Vs Becky at Summerslam IMO.

Expect to see Becky back very soon. Maybe even tonight!
    Reigns/Cena and Charlotte/Becky are Wrestlemania main event level matches
    Agreed.  I can only imagine that as fans have returned, they've decided to treat Summerslam like Wrestlemania 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I think we're set for Charlotte Vs Becky at Summerslam IMO.

Expect to see Becky back very soon. Maybe even tonight!
    Reigns/Cena and Charlotte/Becky are Wrestlemania main event level matches
    Agreed.  I can only imagine that as fans have returned, they've decided to treat Summerslam like Wrestlemania 
    It should be lashley v leasner but it will Goldberg. 
  • Options
    Lashley v Keith Lee could have been good. Who books this shit? 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Goldberg is contracted to 2 matches per year, so he’s going to get rolled out for stuff like this every 6 months.
  • Options
    Thing is with Goldberg, he does a couple of spears, and a lacklustre looking jackhammer, and they have to finish the match because he's then absolutely f**ked. At least when they have part timers like Edge recently (though he is only "part time" as he screwed up his shoulder) or Brock, even a couple of years ago with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker and Kane in Australia, the match was bad, but there's story beats, there's more than 2 moves on show, and they usually have a bit of gas in the tank
  • Options
    Lashley v Keith Lee could have been good. Who books this shit? 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Thing is with Goldberg, he does a couple of spears, and a lacklustre looking jackhammer, and they have to finish the match because he's then absolutely f**ked. At least when they have part timers like Edge recently (though he is only "part time" as he screwed up his shoulder) or Brock, even a couple of years ago with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker and Kane in Australia, the match was bad, but there's story beats, there's more than 2 moves on show, and they usually have a bit of gas in the tank
    To be fair to Goldberg, he's added a lot of tension to his jackhammers recently by not actually being able to lift people properly and nearly killing them whenever he tries it. It's not good but you can't say your heart isn't in your mouth every time he nearly drops yet another poor bloke on his neck.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Goldberg vs lashley. Yuk zzzzzzz

Lashley squashing Keith Lee is ridiculous!!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Goldberg is contracted to 2 matches per year, so he’s going to get rolled out for stuff like this every 6 months.
    Two too many.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    And up and commer Jeff Hardy (43) as a face cheats to beat the then unbeaten NXT champion Kross on Kross' Raw debut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And up and commer Jeff Hardy (43) as a face cheats the unbeaten NXT champion Kross on Kross' Raw debut.
    Yeah but Jeff's music 😍😍
  • Options
    Really enjoyed MITB. Looking forward to Summerslam, especially as it's on a Saturday this year!
  • Options
    AEW want that big Chicago pop!

Wonder what Colt Cabana is thinking right now 🤔
  • Options
    I was thinking about this when Joe was briefly a free agent.  Could you sell a gimick free 1 match PPV these days?

Something like Bryan V Punk, no under card, make a big deal about the "prize money" have an hour Broadway and sell the rematch?  Or would no one buy that these days? 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I was thinking about this when Joe was briefly a free agent.  Could you sell a gimick free 1 match PPV these days?

Something like Bryan V Punk, no under card, make a big deal about the "prize money" have an hour Broadway and sell the rematch?  Or would no one buy that these days? 
    I think for a CM Punk return match it would work. But that’s about it. I don’t think it would work for a regular top tier match in pro wrestling, it would have to be something extraordinary. 

Most people buy Boxing PPVs off the back of a single fight though
  • Options
    Several respected wrestling sites are now reporting that Daniel Bryan has signed with AEW.

Huge if true!
  • Options
    Several respected wrestling sites are now reporting that Daniel Bryan has signed with AEW.

Huge if true!
    This could be intresting.  But after the amount of ring time they give MJF and the rivival I won't hold my breath.  I would suspect both him and punk would have a significant amount of creative control because they could still make a fortune else where? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge if true!
    This could be intresting.  But after the amount of ring time they give MJF and the rivival I won't hold my breath.  I would suspect both him and punk would have a significant amount of creative control because they could still make a fortune else where? 
    Tony Khan and his father have fortunes to pay them if they really want to. It probably would cost less than your regular Premier League signing for Fulham
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge if true!
    Tony Khan and his father have fortunes to pay them if they really want to. It probably would cost less than your regular Premier League signing for Fulham
    Yeah but it's not as if either of them need enough money to job to Marco Stunt.  Which is what Tony would end up booking sooner or later. 

This has the feel of Vince signing Vader and Vader refusing stuff to protect his Japan potential. And Vince not having a clue what to do with Vader or why he got over in the first place. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge if true!
    Yeah but it's not as if either of them need enough money to job to Marco Stunt.  Which is what Tony would end up booking sooner or later. 

This has the feel of Vince signing Vader and Vader refusing stuff to protect his Japan potential. And Vince not having a clue what to do with Vader or why he got over in the first place. 
    Not sure why you would think that considering we haven’t even seen him appear yet. I just think it’s a case of one of the biggest stars in wrestling becoming available, and AEW winning his signature.

AEW have done a good job in protecting their top talents for the most part in my opinion. They have at least 7 names who wouldn’t look out of place as a world champion, which isn’t bad going considering they’re working with a single mainstream 2 hour show each week. 

I wouldn’t expect to see Omega, Moxley, Jericho or Cody Rhodes jobbing to someone like Marco Stunt. I very much doubt they’d book Daniel Bryan down that road.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge if true!

Not sure why you would think that considering we haven’t even seen him appear yet. I just think it’s a case of one of the biggest stars in wrestling becoming available, and AEW winning his signature.

AEW have done a good job in protecting their top talents for the most part in my opinion. They have at least 7 names who wouldn’t look out of place as a world champion, which isn’t bad going considering they’re working with a single mainstream 2 hour show each week. 

I wouldn’t expect to see Omega, Moxley, Jericho or Cody Rhodes jobbing to someone like Marco Stunt. I very much doubt they’d book Daniel Bryan down that road.
    To be fair they don't job but the fact they have "competitive" matchs with him devalues the whole thing. 

They protect them by never have them wrestle, how many TV 1 on 1 matchs has MJF had this year?  They have people on the roster they could use on TV to be jobbers to the stars, other than Marco.  They don't use them properly.

They book Miro like a joke, them book him properly, he gets over then they go back to joke booking.  

The whole thing is booked awfully, the show make no sense what's so ever and with the talent roster they have it should be a million times more watchable than it is.

They have loads of people on the payroll that know how to do it properly.

I get that you can like or don't like the match quality and the style but I honestly can't see how you can argue that the booking and the story lines are good and make sense. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge if true!

To be fair they don't job but the fact they have "competitive" matchs with him devalues the whole thing. 

They protect them by never have them wrestle, how many TV 1 on 1 matchs has MJF had this year?  They have people on the roster they could use on TV to be jobbers to the stars, other than Marco.  They don't use them properly.

They book Miro like a joke, them book him properly, he gets over then they go back to joke booking.  

The whole thing is booked awfully, the show make no sense what's so ever and with the talent roster they have it should be a million times more watchable than it is.

I get that you can like or don't like the match quality and the style but I honestly can't see how you can argue that the booking and the story lines are good and make sense. 
    It’s not a perfect show, but I find it much more enjoyable than the monotonous, predictable and formulaic WWE content - which is the only viable alternative as far as commercial televised wrestling goes.

Dean Ambrose is someone who I thought could have gone on to be ‘the guy’ in WWE, but AEW has allowed him to get a lot of his edge back. 

The promos on the show are generally strong - with enough edge and creativity to keep it interesting and different. 

Whilst MJF doesn’t wrestle every week - he is always featured. His talent is 90% leveraged towards his mic work, so why not absolutely milk it? Even without being in the ring too often, his presence still makes his feuds feel like a big deal. That’s what is most important surely?

The storylines are much more nuanced than you’ll get in WWE. Some people may see that as messy booking, but I personally like the fact that it can feel quite layered. Long term booking is something I do enjoy seeing played out. 

I’ve really enjoyed the storyline involving Inner Circle / Pinnacle, as well as Moxley / Eddie Kingston. Cody is also a very good storyteller. Loved his angle with Jericho and MJF.

Of course they’ll make mistakes along the way, they’ve been on TV less than 2 years. But for me, there are definitely more pros than cons with AEW currently. And for the sake of the industry, I really am rooting for them.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge if true!

It’s not a perfect show, but I find it much more enjoyable than the monotonous, predictable and formulaic WWE content - which is the only viable alternative as far as commercial televised wrestling goes.

Dean Ambrose is someone who I thought could have gone on to be ‘the guy’ in WWE, but AEW has allowed him to get a lot of his edge back. 

The promos on the show are generally strong - with enough edge and creativity to keep it interesting and different. 

Whilst MJF doesn’t wrestle every week - he is always featured. His talent is 90% leveraged towards his mic work, so why not absolutely milk it? Even without being in the ring too often, his presence still makes his feuds feel like a big deal. That’s what is most important surely?

The storylines are much more nuanced than you’ll get in WWE. Some people may see that as messy booking, but I personally like the fact that it can feel quite layered. Long term booking is something I do enjoy seeing played out. 

I’ve really enjoyed the storyline involving Inner Circle / Pinnacle, as well as Moxley / Eddie Kingston. Cody is also a very good storyteller. Loved his angle with Jericho and MJF.

Of course they’ll make mistakes along the way, they’ve been on TV less than 2 years. But for me, there are definitely more pros than cons with AEW currently. And for the sake of the industry, I really am rooting for them.
    That's the point though with MJF.  He should be beating midcarders/jobbers to the stars on TV every week or at least every other week.  In 5 to 10 minutes.   Getting him pulling tights, holding onto ropes, using "international" objects. 

They have got loads on people on the payroll that know how to do it, and how to not.  Do you honestly think JR, Tazz, Arn, Tully even Dustin walk out at the end of the day and say that was the best show we could have possibly put on? 

All most every match has some sort of post match shinanigns.  Every promo has at least one interpretation.  Everyone is in some sort of faction, no one is a face or a heel so no one really cares who wins. 

I am not the biggest fan of Paul E as a booker but if he had this roster they would be doing double the business they are now.

They have got the best tag team in the world, the best natural heel in the world, Cody, as a package, is one of the best in the world.  The probably have the best "non wrestler" talent pool since the late 80s wwf.

It should be so, so much better. 
  • Options
    Lots of potentially fun stuff happening in the wrestling world at the moment.  Feels like a great time to be a wrestling fan again
  • Options
    Lots of potentially fun stuff happening in the wrestling world at the moment.  Feels like a great time to be a wrestling fan again
    Woo woo woo you know it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Woo woo woo you know it. 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Genuinely surprised to see that AEW are going to let Nick Gage inside their ring.

Even more shocked that Jericho agreed to it! He’s gone on record numerous times in recent years to say that the hardcore/death match style of wrestling was something he had no interest in putting his body through.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Genuinely surprised to see that AEW are going to let Nick Gage inside their ring.

Even more shocked that Jericho agreed to it! He’s gone on record numerous times in recent years to say that the hardcore/death match style of wrestling was something he had no interest in putting his body through.
    I loved his reaction to Gage being revealed as his next match in the series. No acting required. 

This is as close to New Jack in a WWF/WCW ring as we are ever going to get.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Lads I am sick of people calling us an outlaw mud show we need to get people like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan to make us appear like a world class wrestling promotion and take us seriously.

Lads I have signed Nick Gage, that will do it.

The bank addicketed drug robber should be no where near national TV.  An embarrassment to the industry.