Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrestling thread

Comments

• Options
    Nick Gage, a man that died for 7 minutes following a botched spot in a deathmatch, who robbed a bank and spent 5 years in jail, a man who clearly has several screws not only loose, but completely missing. I'm very surprised AEW want anything to do with him, but I guess their insistence that they aren't trying to bring back the Attitude Era WWE etc doesn't exactly hold true, as this is exactly the type of "edgy" shit they used to pull in the mid-late 90's
  • Options
    In other news, Keith Lee is now jobbing to Karrion Kross, who himself lost to Jeff Hardy last week, who a couple of weeks ago wasn't even on TV but was wrestling on Main Event. 

WWE booking, y'all
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Nick Gage, a man that died for 7 minutes following a botched spot in a deathmatch, who robbed a bank and spent 5 years in jail, a man who clearly has several screws not only loose, but completely missing. I'm very surprised AEW want anything to do with him, but I guess their insistence that they aren't trying to bring back the Attitude Era WWE etc doesn't exactly hold true, as this is exactly the type of "edgy" shit they used to pull in the mid-late 90's
    There is a very good reason New Jack never wrestled for the WWF.  Most of the "hard core" stuff the WWF did in the 90s was cookie sheets, garbage cans.  When they did do hardcore they had people who knew what they were doing and exactly how to do it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    There is a very good reason New Jack never wrestled for the WWF.  Most of the "hard core" stuff the WWF did in the 90s was cookie sheets, garbage cans.  When they did do hardcore they had people who knew what they were doing and exactly how to do it. 
    I can't think of anything New Jack did that was as hardcore as Mick Foley, unless you count his dives and the Vic Grimes incidents. He wasn't hired because he had no talent and was a piece of shit.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:
    I can't think of anything New Jack did that was as hardcore as Mick Foley, unless you count his dives and the Vic Grimes incidents. He wasn't hired because he had no talent and was a piece of shit.
    Mass Transit?

The number of "stupid" things Foley did in the WWF are really small, when you think how long he was there.  Comparing Foley and anyone else who was on WWE TV to Nick Gage is nonsense, which was my original point. 
  • Options
    I don't blame Mass Transit on New Jack and there are worse things he did like stab someone during a match. Still not as hardcore as Foley.

I wasn't comparing him to Nick Gage, that's completely different. As for WWE knowing what they're doing, Undetaker and Foley were lucky not to get seriously injured or die during hell in a cell and i could mention Owen and Droz.
  • Options
    I don't blame Mass Transit on New Jack and there are worse things he did like stab someone during a match. Still not as hardcore as Foley.

I wasn't comparing him to Nick Gage, that's completely different. As for WWE knowing what they're doing, Undetaker and Foley were lucky not to get seriously injured or die during hell in a cell and i could mention Owen and Droz.
    The original post I replied to compared Gage to the attitude era.

Owen and Droz were tragic accidents. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Genuinely surprised to see that AEW are going to let Nick Gage inside their ring.

Even more shocked that Jericho agreed to it! He’s gone on record numerous times in recent years to say that the hardcore/death match style of wrestling was something he had no interest in putting his body through.
    Lads I am sick of people calling us an outlaw mud show we need to get people like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan to make us appear like a world class wrestling promotion and take us seriously.

Lads I have signed Nick Gage, that will do it.

The bank addicketed drug robber should be no where near national TV.  An embarrassment to the industry.  
    The industry has moved on from the Jim Cornette style of thinking which over analyses exactly how audiences think and react to every little detail. 

Wrestling has been slowed down so heavily by WWE’s monotonous output over recent years, that I actually have no problem with Nick Gage showing up. They’ve definitely given a hook for people to tune in. Controversy and hype is what makes wrestling that little bit more exciting in my opinion.

I want to see edge and a bit of unpredictability. Whether you like Gage or not, it’s definitely a reason to want to tune in and see what happens. Some might say that’s a reflection on me, but so be it.
  • Options
    It looks increasingly likely CM Punk has joined AEW.  If not, then AEW have worked the rumours to their advantage very well!
  • Options
    Bray Wyatt has been released by WWE, they literally had no idea how to actually book him, and despite him getting crazy gimmicks and ideas over time and again, they took his latest idea, pinned it on Alexa Bliss and have now released him. 

I hope he goes to AEW and becomes the new leader of the Dark Order or something, to both honour the late Brodie Lee, and to continue his weird cult leader persona
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasn't he been open about having mental health issues recently?  Probably asked to be released. 

Will tske a long period out of the ring I imagine 
  • Options
    WWE really hate any of their 'superstars' who are creative and get over when Vince doesn't see anything in them. 

It used to be that anyone who made their name outside of the company was put in their place, now it's people in their own company!

I remember that they tried to give the Yes chants to other wrestlers (Big Show was one of them) and the fans rejected it. Never change Vinnie Mac. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    Genuinely surprised to see that AEW are going to let Nick Gage inside their ring.

Even more shocked that Jericho agreed to it! He’s gone on record numerous times in recent years to say that the hardcore/death match style of wrestling was something he had no interest in putting his body through.
    Lads I am sick of people calling us an outlaw mud show we need to get people like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan to make us appear like a world class wrestling promotion and take us seriously.

Lads I have signed Nick Gage, that will do it.

The bank addicketed drug robber should be no where near national TV.  An embarrassment to the industry.  
    The industry has moved on from the Jim Cornette style of thinking which over analyses exactly how audiences think and react to every little detail. 

Wrestling has been slowed down so heavily by WWE’s monotonous output over recent years, that I actually have no problem with Nick Gage showing up. They’ve definitely given a hook for people to tune in. Controversy and hype is what makes wrestling that little bit more exciting in my opinion.

I want to see edge and a bit of unpredictability. Whether you like Gage or not, it’s definitely a reason to want to tune in and see what happens. Some might say that’s a reflection on me, but so be it.
    I watched the full 2 hours of the last Dynamite.  I think it's the first time I have actually managed that with out fast forwarding through anything or just turning it off.  Although I must admit I nearly turned it off more than once in the first match and the last one was not really my cup of tea.

Some of the stuff between the first and last match was very good.  As a whole the show was still "over egged" but no where near as much as it was last time I tried it

The first match had some really good in ring stuff but still far too much goofy stuff.  This is supposed to be your two main men!  At least 3 times they did the spot where everyone just stands round waiting for someone to jump on all of them!  And what's the point of a ref of he doesn't enforce the rules?  It makes cheating pointless. 

The spot in the Jungle boy et Al match where there was a triple back suplex, wtf was that all about?

The last match, I can't believe Jericho let him hit a pile driver!  I have never understood the logic of a pizza cutter to the fore head, if you were using one in a fit you would cut the neck or try and cut his ear off!!  The same for stabbing the forehead with a shard of glass.  Anyway that match wasn't aimed at me and I get why people like it.

The FTR match was solid.

I won't watch it every week but it was the most watchable episode I have seen, so far. 
  • Options
    Chicago fans booing Goldberg and chanting we want Wyatt, great stuff!

I think Wyatt will be taking sometime away from wrestling.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    WWE really hate any of their 'superstars' who are creative and get over when Vince doesn't see anything in them. 

Like Steve Austin? :)

• Options

You mean the Ringmaster :)

That's when Vince was desperate due to WCW beating him in the ratings every week and taking his talent. He could never pass up that opportunity once he saw the merch move, the signs in the crowd and the reaction to Austin with a live crowd. Vince without competition will do whatever he wants, plenty of examples of that in the last 10 years or so. 
  • Options

That's when Vince was desperate due to WCW beating him in the ratings every week and taking his talent. He could never pass up that opportunity once he saw the merch move, the signs in the crowd and the reaction to Austin with a live crowd. Vince without competition will do whatever he wants, plenty of examples of that in the last 10 years or so. 
    Vince has never been a creative genius nor a booker.  He didn't even invent hulkamania.  Hogan was doing that gimic in the AWA.  George Scott and Pat Patterson booked and wrote much of the early wrestlemania period.

Every single person Vince tried to replace Hogan with failed from Tim Magee, Warrior, Lugar and Desiel through to the present day.

Vince is the best promoter in wrestling history, by a county mile. For the first 30 years he had enough people that "knew how to do it" around him for at least his promotion to make sense and, more often than not, the main events to be attractive.

The whole thing went down hill, high high it was up the hill is open to taste and opinion, once Stephanie graduated college and started employing writers who knew bugger about what they were trying to achieve.  As well as people like Johnny Ace who couldn't even sign the right one legged wrestler.

TLDR Vince doesnt know, nor never has known, why certain things get over and others don't.  He just knows how to flog what does. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    CM Punk to AEW seems 99% certain. You don’t just book a last minute 20,000 seater arena show in Chicago outside of your usual weekly schedule for no reason.

That pop will be on another level. Would arguably be the biggest wrestling story of the last 5 years.  
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    CM Punk to AEW seems 99% certain. You don’t just book a last minute 20,000 seater arena show in Chicago outside of your usual weekly schedule for no reason.

That pop will be on another level. Would arguably be the biggest wrestling story of the last 5 years.  
    Biggest signing and reveal since Styles showing up at Royal Rumble maybe? 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:

I think this is much, much bigger. 

It’s a return/debut that people have been speculating for nearly a decade, and many thought would actually never happen. The fact it’s happening for WWE’s biggest competitor makes it a much bigger deal too.

This really is something that will move the needle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ringmaster lasted a couple of weeks. The Stone Cold gimmick was all Austin's. Tye 3:16 promo was a month before the Hogan heel turn.

Punk coming back would be enormous, shame it's been spoiled.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:

It’s a return/debut that people have been speculating for nearly a decade, and many thought would actually never happen. The fact it’s happening for WWE’s biggest competitor makes it a much bigger deal too.

I can't think of anything as big as this ever.  At least that's comparable.  Maybe Brett turning up at RAW?    But even then everyone knew he wasn't going to wrestle regularly. 

He hasn't been in a ring, in public, for 7 years.  Anywhere, and is probably the most over person in the industry.  That probably says more about the industry than him but even so. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:

I can't think of anything as big as this ever.  At least that's comparable.  Maybe Brett turning up at RAW?    But even then everyone knew he wasn't going to wrestle regularly. 

He hasn't been in a ring, in public, for 7 years.  Anywhere, and is probably the most over person in the industry.  That probably says more about the industry than him but even so. 

And his name has been chanted in Chicago ever since he left. It's Flair turning up in WWF level.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:

And his name has been chanted in Chicago ever since he left. It's Flair turning up in WWF level.
    It's Flair turning up in WWF without being on TV for 7 years.  Flair wasn't as a big a star, to the WWF audience, in 1991, as punk is to the current audience.

I think it's possibly the biggest non kayfabe "shock" in modern history. 

• Options
    There is part of me slightly disappointed by the fact that it’s a ‘surprise’ that we all know is likely happening now.

I get that they have to give a few hints just to get the TV ratings / speculation going for it, but imagine the shock if he had just turned up at All Out, in Chicago, without any build up?

Although, I have read that apparently there are concerns about sports events in US at the moment because of rising COVID cases and that All Out might not be in Chicago after all. That would be a major shame if they are planning a Punk match there
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:

It's Flair turning up in WWF without being on TV for 7 years.  Flair wasn't as a big a star, to the WWF audience, in 1991, as punk is to the current audience.

CM Punk in 2021 is a bigger name than Ric Flair was in 1991? 😃 Interestingly both were 42 years old.

I think carrying the rivals belt on TV is bigger than not being in a wrestling ring (but losing twice in UFC and talking about wrestling on Fox during that time.)

Other big ones are Hogan '94 and Angle '06. Very few and far between.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    That's the point though with MJF.  He should be beating midcarders/jobbers to the stars on TV every week or at least every other week.  In 5 to 10 minutes.   Getting him pulling tights, holding onto ropes, using "international" objects.
    I meant to reply to this ages ago but I've been away, but I don't agree with this at all. Part of the reason most of their guys are popular is the fact that they aren't on TV every week to the point of over-saturation, and they have a load of anticipated matches waiting in the bank as a result because they're not constantly wrestling. MJF wrestling one-on-one matches is now a big deal because they're a rare thing - not to the same level of someone like Brock Lesnar but proportionate to the size of AEW - look at how much buzz there was surrounding that match with Sammy Guevara. He's still got a load of potential feuds still waiting in the wing - Darby Allin, Hangman Adam Page etc.

Also it totally fits his character and getting heat by NOT wrestling and getting other people to do his dirty work for him. Paying Wardlow to be his stooge (although I'm disappointed that this simply got forgotten about when they set up The Pinnacle), bringing in Butcher & Blade to attack Cody, manipulating The Inner Circle before creating The Pinnacle and now paying people like Nick Gage and Juventud Guerrera to grind Chris Jericho down.

• Options
    West2003 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    That's the point though with MJF.  He should be beating midcarders/jobbers to the stars on TV every week or at least every other week.  In 5 to 10 minutes.   Getting him pulling tights, holding onto ropes, using "international" objects.
    I meant to reply to this ages ago but I've been away, but I don't agree with this at all. Part of the reason most of their guys are popular is the fact that they aren't on TV every week to the point of over-saturation, and they have a load of anticipated matches waiting in the bank as a result because they're not constantly wrestling. MJF wrestling one-on-one matches is now a big deal because they're a rare thing - not to the same level of someone like Brock Lesnar but proportionate to the size of AEW - look at how much buzz there was surrounding that match with Sammy Guevara. He's still got a load of potential feuds still waiting in the wing - Darby Allin, Hangman Adam Page etc.

Also it totally fits his character and getting heat by NOT wrestling and getting other people to do his dirty work for him. Paying Wardlow to be his stooge (although I'm disappointed that this simply got forgotten about when they set up The Pinnacle), bringing in Butcher & Blade to attack Cody, manipulating The Inner Circle before creating The Pinnacle and now paying people like Nick Gage and Juventud Guerrera to grind Chris Jericho down.

That's fine if you are preaching to the choir.  All of the above makes perfect sense if you regularly watch AEW, or at least follow it closely.

AEW have booked multiple people, not only MJF, as although they are superstars on a par with Lesner, Cena etc when they aren't unless you follow New Japan, MLW or the indies, which most people don't.

To be honest I think if he hadn't been on darkside of the ring using Nick Cage would have been stupid because again your appealing to a very small number of people, relatively speaking. 

The whole thing has been booked for a million people who already watch it and love the bucks and omega, just like the WWE is booked for the one person that signs it off.

I follow AEW quite a closley but I have found most episodes of Dynamite unwatchable it is getting better though. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:

CM Punk in 2021 is a bigger name than Ric Flair was in 1991? 😃 Interestingly both were 42 years old.

I think carrying the rivals belt on TV is bigger than not being in a wrestling ring (but losing twice in UFC and talking about wrestling on Fox during that time.)

Other big ones are Hogan '94 and Angle '06. Very few and far between.
    CM Punk is a bigger star to the general audience now than Flair was to the WWF one in 91 although the current audience is significantly smaller. Remember crocket and wcw were still pretty much a regional promotion all the time he was there. 

If Flair was such a star in the North East they wouldn't have had to book the 92 rumble the way they did and he would have worked with Hogan sooner.

And Flair went from the number 2 promotion to the number 1 so less unlikely.  Punk walked out on the WWE 7 years ago and they haven't been able to get him to go back, they have tried. 
  • Options
    Very good, i'm not going to bite.