Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrestling thread

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:
    sam3110 said:
    cafctom said:
    CM Punk to AEW seems 99% certain. You don’t just book a last minute 20,000 seater arena show in Chicago outside of your usual weekly schedule for no reason.

That pop will be on another level. Would arguably be the biggest wrestling story of the last 5 years.  
    Biggest signing and reveal since Styles showing up at Royal Rumble maybe? 
    I think this is much, much bigger. 

It’s a return/debut that people have been speculating for nearly a decade, and many thought would actually never happen. The fact it’s happening for WWE’s biggest competitor makes it a much bigger deal too.

This really is something that will move the needle.
    I can't think of anything as big as this ever.  At least that's comparable.  Maybe Brett turning up at RAW?    But even then everyone knew he wasn't going to wrestle regularly. 

He hasn't been in a ring, in public, for 7 years.  Anywhere, and is probably the most over person in the industry.  That probably says more about the industry than him but even so. 

And his name has been chanted in Chicago ever since he left. It's Flair turning up in WWF level.
    It's Flair turning up in WWF without being on TV for 7 years.  Flair wasn't as a big a star, to the WWF audience, in 1991, as punk is to the current audience.

I think it's possibly the biggest non kayfabe "shock" in modern history. 

CM Punk in 2021 is a bigger name than Ric Flair was in 1991? 😃 Interestingly both were 42 years old.

I think carrying the rivals belt on TV is bigger than not being in a wrestling ring (but losing twice in UFC and talking about wrestling on Fox during that time.)

Other big ones are Hogan '94 and Angle '06. Very few and far between.
    Dean Ambrose / Jon Moxley debuting at the first Double or Nothing felt like a very big deal when it happened.

I wasn’t really interested in the whole idea of AEW up until that point as in my head it just sounded like some hyped up indie franchise. But getting a name like that come in definitely made AEW feel like a true threat, considering WWE did everything to try and keep him. 

And now you have CM Punk and Daniel Bryan supposedly joining, I cannot believe for one second that WWE aren’t getting concerned.
  • Options
    Haven't watched wrestling for ages, decided to watch MITB and genuinely lost it when Cena returned! And Jeff Hardy coming out to no more words!  <3 felt like I was 14 again 
  • Options
    Very good, i'm not going to bite.
    I am being deadly serious.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Google Ric Flair. No way can you be serious if you think he was just a regional champion in the 80s.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Google Ric Flair. No way can you be serious if you think he was just a regional champion in the 80s.
    I know exactly who Ric Flair is.  Crocket never went national, in the same way Vince did.  But your missing the point I am making, or trying to make. 

CM Punk is currently the biggest, or one of the biggest stars in the wrestling industry.  Despite the fact he hasn't been in a ring for 7 years.   Punk is a star in the eyes of everyone who currently watches any wrestling on TV if its WWE, AEW, ROH or MLW or anything else.  Everyone who watches anything would think of him as a star on the same level, or higher, as Omega, Cena, Reigns, Lenser. 

The 1991 WWF audience did not, as a whole, view Flair as as much of a big a star as Hogan, Savage, Piper etc.  Of course some did.  Which is why they booked the 1992 Royal Rumble as they did.  No one would have to book Punk like that in 2021 

More people thought Flair was a star (in 1991) than Punk now because more people watched it. 

• Options
    I think Punk & Bryan joining AEW will really shake up the industry.  A great time to be a wrestling fan again!!
  • Options
    kind of reminds me of when ECW first came onto the scene, though the difference there was that the stars were mostly home-grown. Just hope that AEW can keep up the momentum, because WWE needs a rivalry
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I know exactly who Ric Flair is.  Crocket never went national, in the same way Vince did.  But your missing the point I am making, or trying to make. 

CM Punk is currently the biggest, or one of the biggest stars in the wrestling industry.  Despite the fact he hasn't been in a ring for 7 years.   Punk is a star in the eyes of everyone who currently watches any wrestling on TV if its WWE, AEW, ROH or MLW or anything else.  Everyone who watches anything would think of him as a star on the same level, or higher, as Omega, Cena, Reigns, Lenser. 

The 1991 WWF audience did not, as a whole, view Flair as as much of a big a star as Hogan, Savage, Piper etc.  Of course some did.  Which is why they booked the 1992 Royal Rumble as they did.  No one would have to book Punk like that in 2021 

More people thought Flair was a star (in 1991) than Punk now because more people watched it. 

Flair was the travelling world's champion defending and winning the belt internationally not just nationally.

Crocket who's promotion had gone under by 1988 controlled various NWA territories, not all of them which the NWA worlds title represented. 

Flair was pushed as a big star in wwf straight from the off and them not having him v Hogan at 'mania was considered a bad move by them, especially as Hogan v Flair at Bash of the Beach '94 drew massive. Flair wrestled Savage who was face number 2 to Hogan through most of the 80s. So it's fair to say Flair was considered a huge deal and if you know your history is obvious why.

Seems you're agreeing with me in your last paragraph though.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Flair was the travelling world's champion defending and winning the belt internationally not just nationally.

Crocket who's promotion had gone under by 1988 controlled various NWA territories, not all of them which the NWA worlds title represented. 

Flair was pushed as a big star in wwf straight from the off and them not having him v Hogan at 'mania was considered a bad move by them, especially as Hogan v Flair at Bash of the Beach '94 drew massive. Flair wrestled Savage who was face number 2 to Hogan through most of the 80s. So it's fair to say Flair was considered a huge deal and if you know your history is obvious why.

Seems you're agreeing with me in your last paragraph though.
    I really don't need a lecture on the history of JCP and the TBS takeover, or Jim Heard booking the thing into the ground.  Which is one of but not the only reason Flair left in the first place.

Mania 8 drew less PPV buy rates than both 7 and 9.

Do I think Ric Flair was a bigger star in 1991 than CM Punk is now?  Of course I do.  Did the WWF audience, not the wrestling audience as a whole, consider Flair on a level with Hogan, Savage even the ultimate warrior in 1991.  No they didnt. That's a fact.  It's been discussed by people that were there many times and is why, as I have said before, the 1992 Rumble was booked as it was.

I am not passing my opinion of Flair, or Punk, I am stating a fact. 
  • Options
    So Flair was a bigger star (agreed) but not with the wwf audience?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    So Flair was a bigger star (agreed) but not with the wwf audience?
    Correct. 
  • Options
    Bobby Eaton has passed away.
  • Options
    Bobby Eaton has passed away.
    That's sad, very sad.  Such a nice guy and a great wrestler.  Was the last person to leave WCW because no one wanted to be the person who sacked Bobby Eaton. 
  • Options

Vince wouldn't book him, too small..... 
  • Options
    NXT releases

-Bobby Fish
    -Bronson Reed
    -Jake Atlas
    -Ari Sterling
    -Kona Reeves 
    -Leon Ruff
    -Stephon Smith
    -Tyler Rust
    -Zechariah Smith
    -Asher Hale
    -Giant Zanjeer
    -Mercedes Martinez.

Few surprises, Fish, Reed, Ruff and Martinez.
  • Options
    Anyone watched the 1st episode of the Wrestling drama series 'Heels'

It's not bad
  • Options
    Anyone watched the 1st episode of the Wrestling drama series 'Heels'

It's not bad
    What channel is that on? 
  • Options
    Thanks.

On a completely different note I saw that Miss Mid Atlantic, the super fan, passed away last year.  Imagine a female Vladimir. 

She literally saved Ola Anderson's life when he was stabbed in Greensville in the mid 70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what do we reckon then?  

Will CM PUNK be at the big AEW Rampage show in Chicago on Friday or will they wait until the next PPV a couple of weeks later (also in Chicago)?
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Will CM PUNK be at the big AEW Rampage show in Chicago on Friday or will they wait until the next PPV a couple of weeks later (also in Chicago)?
    I think it happens this Friday. There’s no way they book an enormous arena in Chicago and promote it as a special show weeks in advance to not pay it off.

And god help them if it isn’t, because those fans will burn the place down otherwise 😂

Its a very exciting time to be an AEW fan.
  • Options

If he isn't there the fans will riot and AEW will lose a lot of credibility.  You don't tease something this big and not follow it through.  As Vince would say they would be kayfabing themselves.

• Options
    I agree. I think he has to be there otherwise why book such a huge show at just a couple of weeks notice 
  • Options
    I don't know why it's called "The First Dance" because it's the first Rampage show was last week, so it must be because of a big debut. That, combined with it being in Chicago, and the amount of references AEW, their wrestlers and even Punk himself have made to it, i can't see how it won't be going down on Friday.

I just hope Cult Of Personality starts playing and a man in a hoody and taped fists comes walking out backwards onto the stage, only to turn around and throw his hood back to reveal MJF, because the heat would be nuclear
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I don't know why it's called "The First Dance" because it's the first Rampage show was last week, so it must be because of a big debut. 
    I was a bit confused about that at first as well, and then realised it was a play on words of the ‘Last Dance’ - the Chicago Bulls documentary.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I don't know why it's called "The First Dance" because it's the first Rampage show was last week, so it must be because of a big debut. That, combined with it being in Chicago, and the amount of references AEW, their wrestlers and even Punk himself have made to it, i can't see how it won't be going down on Friday.

I just hope Cult Of Personality starts playing and a man in a hoody and taped fists comes walking out backwards onto the stage, only to turn around and throw his hood back to reveal MJF, because the heat would be nuclear
    Come out to a massive face pop, think Austin when Foley won the title loud, cut a "best in the world at what I do" promo.  Then go full blown heel about how how much better he is then everyone else, how he doesn't need them, they don't deserve him, how he was the champion in the big company and even the boss needed to work with him and he only came because Tony offered him money that the fans could only dream of.

(if he then announced Jim Cornett as his manager you would have a riot but obviously that won't happen)

Wasn't Brian Danielson's pre WWE tag line "the best in the world"?

Even I would pay money to watch a best of 3 with those 2.  I saw them at a wwe house show once and in the ring they were soooo smooth.

As long as neither of them get involved in the nonsense the hardly boys and pointy mcpointyface get involved in I'll give it a chance. 
  • Options
    Wrestling: where men in pants fight over a belt...
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Wrestling: where men in pants fight over a belt...
    Football: where men in long socks kick a pigs bladder into a net...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    sam3110 said:

As long as neither of them get involved in the nonsense the hardly boys and pointy mcpointyface get involved in I'll give it a chance. 
    “Are you Cornette in disguise” 😂