Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Well Sunderland beat them 0-3 at the weekend and we are aspiring to be in the place Sunderland occupy which is 6th.

If we don’t win this we do not deserve a play off place.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Maatsen and Millar would get us going even more. But the majority of the fanbase have gone Full Scapegoat on him. I knew it would happen too. When a defender starts scoring 3s in Player Marks despite the fact that he was only beaten once or twice, wasn't at fault for any goals and played a major role in our goal, it's clear the fans just don't like him. No I won't shut up about this
    Stop attention seeking Leuth.
     Why is he attention seeking? I agree with Leuth. Maatsen is young, has great potential, and will go on to prove his critics wrong. 
    It's what he does to seek attention.
    Find a cause and crack on about it endlesssly.
    It was Sarr for years, so his new cause for this season is Maatsen.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Maatsen and Millar would get us going even more. But the majority of the fanbase have gone Full Scapegoat on him. I knew it would happen too. When a defender starts scoring 3s in Player Marks despite the fact that he was only beaten once or twice, wasn't at fault for any goals and played a major role in our goal, it's clear the fans just don't like him. No I won't shut up about this
    Stop attention seeking Leuth.
     Why is he attention seeking? I agree with Leuth. Maatsen is young, has great potential, and will go on to prove his critics wrong. 
    It's what he does to seek attention.
    Find a cause and crack on about it endlesssly.
    It was Sarr for years, so his new cause for this season is Maatsen.
    It’s pretty harmless though. 
  • Options
    I was with Leuth on the Sarr bandwagon, less so on Maatsen.

He had an excellent start to the season and worked well with Famewo at left centre back, and I wonder if that was in LB's thinking on Saturday. But Purrington seems to work better than Millar, being more defence-minded.

If we play 3 CBs then Maatsen should be the choice, possibly with the diamond as well but Purrngton is better in a 4-4-2, and that's what I hope to see against Burton.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Can anyone name another team in the modern era that plays 2 attacking wingers in a 4-4-2? It seems old-fashioned to me. When the game these days is based on transition, might just be asking to get cut open. And how do you break other teams down? Essentially it's all wing play and if your wingers aren't beating their men, you're lumping it in the box. 

You can play 2 wingers comfortably in a 4-2-3-1 but I don't think we've ever played that under LB.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    If we play Millar in the left with Fanewo, I think Maatsen has a good game. If the plan is to leave the left back fairly unprotected, play purrington. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    It was mentioned to me that those two were crazy signings because of the money involved...
    Always seemed strange to me.  Both were under contract else where, so even if we didn't pay a transfer fee they would have to be on decent money.  Yet we were "days away" from administration and trading while insolvent.

I would love to of heard the conversations behind closed doors. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Can anyone name another team in the modern era that plays 2 attacking wingers in a 4-4-2? It seems old-fashioned to me. When the game these days is based on transition, might just asking to get cut open. And how do you break other teams down? Essentially it's all wing play and if your wingers aren't beating their men, you're lumping it in the box. 

Can play 2 wingers comfortably in a 4-2-3-1 but I don't think we've ever played that under LB.
    Yup totally agree. 

How do you play 2 wingers every week when you only have two anyway? 

Why have 7 or 8 center mids when you can only play 2?

The last time we did it, regularly, was under Luzon it was bloody good to watch though.  Before that it was in the championship under Curbs! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    It was mentioned to me that those two were crazy signings because of the money involved...
    Always seemed strange to me.  Both were under contract else where, so even if we didn't pay a transfer fee they would have to be on decent money.  Yet we were "days away" from administration and trading while insolvent.

Those signings were they made when Thomas was on the scene but had not officially taken over ...
    There must have been chats with Bowyer and Gallen pre the official purchase and why would we be able to make transfers during the embargo ...
    so maybe we had a bit longer than the 3 minutes to arrange our squad before the first window shut .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:

Those signings were they made when Thomas was on the scene but had not officially taken over ...
    There must have been chats with Bowyer and Gallen pre the official purchase and why would we be able to make transfers during the embargo ...
    so maybe we had a bit longer than the 3 minutes to arrange our squad before the first window shut .
    We signed them the same day as this was published 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-super-wealthy-danish-businessman-thomas-sandgaard-wants-to-buy-charlton-athletic/

More than 2 weeks before the Palace game and the first court case.  Is it safe to say that negotiations were much further down the line with TN and associates then first thought? 

• Options
    2-0 win. Parker and Varney with the goals.
  • Options
    I know we are shit, usually help others in turning around their bad fortunes, however i am confident 2-0 home win, nothing really to suggest where i have got this misplaced confidence but COYR lets get this train going! 
  • Options
    Shame how it's all gone a bit more than flat. You can tell by how few 'Tactical' loving members post on the pre and post match threads nowadays. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Shame how it's all gone a bit more than flat. You can tell by how few 'Tactical' loving members post on the pre and post match threads nowadays. 
    Can’t make a purse out of a swines ear...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Can anyone name another team in the modern era that plays 2 attacking wingers in a 4-4-2? It seems old-fashioned to me. When the game these days is based on transition, might just be asking to get cut open. And how do you break other teams down? Essentially it's all wing play and if your wingers aren't beating their men, you're lumping it in the box. 

You can play 2 wingers comfortably in a 4-2-3-1 but I don't think we've ever played that under LB.
    I would have liked us to try 4-2-3-1 in the autumn as we had the players to do it

Chuks (or Bogle up top)
    Then for the attacking 3 a combination of Williams, Washington, Morgan, Smyth, Maddison
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I would have liked us to try 4-2-3-1 in the autumn as we had the players to do it

Chuks (or Bogle up top)
    Then for the attacking 3 a combination of Williams, Washington, Morgan, Smyth, Maddison
    Is this a time warp? half of those players have moved on lol assume i have missed the joke here..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burton went down to 10 men on 56 minutes against Sunderland which means their young on loan left back will miss this game. Their right back is 33. No better time to play a 4-4-2 with two wingers and Chucks and Stockley up front. The ref has dished out 7 reds in 17 games. Even if initially unsuccessful, our wingers should run at them and rack up fouls and yellows. The ref is weak and should be exploited. Not a game for Pratley!
  • Options

"Christopher Pollard will take charge at The Valley on Tuesday evening. He has 64 yellow cards and seven reds in his 17 game, so far, this season.

Now in his second season as an EFL official, it will be the first time he has refereed a Charlton fixture.

He will be assisted by Anthony Da Costa and Paul Kelly with Alan Young as the Fourth Official".

Wow, from fame and adoration in the boy band, Blue to being a linesman on a mild, dry Tuesday evening in SE London.

• Options
    Chunes said:

Chuks (or Bogle up top)
    Is this a time warp? half of those players have moved on lol assume i have missed the joke here..
    He specified in the autumn in his post, not now.
  • Options
    I am looking for a few things from tonight, Firstly a win of course. But also, I am looking for evidence we can go on a run. I don't want a lucky win that could go either way. I want to see us go out and impose ourselves on them. I want to see the Stockley/Aneke partnership work as I feel this is our best chance of success this season, and I want to see us win at least 50% of second balls against the bottom team.

Finally, I want to see us clear the ball from defence as well as most teams that have played us recently. The way we do it, it is more likely to find an opponent, whereas even limited opponents can find their own shirts more often.

I see that and I can make a case in my head that we can go on a run. 

• Options
    Even a great performance tonight won't convince me that we have it in us to go on a run. Hope I'm wrong, really do.
  • Options
    We are playing the bottom of the league. Can only be one result.... Why if football was that simple he no point playing 
    We are playing the bottom of the league. Can only be one result.
    We are playing the bottom of the league. Can only be one result.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Convince may be too strong a would. Start to convince might be more accurate. If we win well today and on Saturday, more of us will be considering it a possibility. Big if though given our recent home performances. It has to start somewhere and for me is being able to make a case. I accept even after a 3-0, it won't be a great case, but another decent win and another and the case gets stronger. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Also, with our wide open/mistake ridden defence, playing 3 attacking midfielders out of 4, none of whom can tackle, is stupid.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Don’t drop Famewo - he is class
    Don’t start Morgan - not good enough 

Drop Gunter for Matthews
    Drop Morgan for DJ.
    What are you on about? Morgan hasn't started in weeks.
    @daz@Dazzler21
    Good !
    But he is in the FA predicted line-up above.