Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• edited February 2021
    We have the owner that I have always wanted, yet for various reasons we are threading water. 
    Thomas Sandgaard has ambitions and finishing mid table in League one is not on the agenda.

This feels like an interim season where Lee Bowyer is struggling to decide how he wants his team to play. I would prefer he is given until the end of this season.
    It won't end well if we are outside the top 6.

Charlton 4 Burton 1

Burton/Taylor made for Charlton this time.

• edited February 2021
    Thanks for doing this @ForeverAddickted. Great preview as always, especially at late notice. I’ll be back next week!

Pretty much agree with the team but think Washington will be in the squad.

Aneke and Stockley to cause them lots of problems. Chances will be created in this one. It’s so important we get the win.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Burton Albion
    Aneke (2)
    Shinnie
  • Lose and that’s the end of Bows . Win and he will still go but maybe not until we lose a week or so later . 

I think we’ll win 2 or 3 nil for what it’s worth . 
  • I reckon it'll be a draw, after coming from behind which just delays the inevitable 
  • edited February 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    We need to win. 

Back to Rochdale rematch formation and closing game please. 

Keep Famewo & Smith in and bring Aneke back in.

Amos

Gunter - Oshilaja - Famewo - Purrington

Shinnie - Smith - Pratley - Millar

Aneke - Stockley

We need to stick to consistency where we can.

2-1 to finally turn around a Golfie.
    I suspect that the medical team will veto Famewo playing Tuesday after such a long lay off.
    You'd hope so! Maybe Pearce does come back in.
  • Surprisingly stress free evening, Chucks and Stockers bash Burton 3-0.
  • Burton are a good side ! They have some really good players ! At the end of the day losing to them in a tight game isnt a bad result. The ref did us no favours and their manager came here to win so it's difficult. 

LB's press conference post match
  • We'll score in the first 10 minutes, defend for the rest of the half until we concede 30 seconds before the break. We heroically fight off a rampant Burton side through the second half for a well deserved point.

2 posters get friction burns on their fingers trying to fight off attacks on LB but are ultimately overwhelmed. Ironically this is an almost perfect replication of the team's performance.

• edited February 2021
    Even we can’t feck this one up 2 - 0 Aneke and Stockley. Start of the unbeaten run.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Burton are a good side ! They have some really good players ! At the end of the day losing to them in a tight game isnt a bad result. The ref did us no favours and their manager came here to win so it's difficult. 

LB's press conference post match
    That’s the spirit!
  • edited February 2021
    Like I've said before, I always feel Burton play good stuff against us and I always wonder why they are so far down, don't see Tuesday being any different

I reckon 1-1 or 2-2 
  • Burton are in much better form than us. New manager and almost a whole new team since we played them before... they aren’t a team bottom that are dead and buried.

I have that dreaded sick feeling in my stomach. I think this will be the end on Tuesday. 

Sorry I can’t be more positive 
  • Attacking line up please, Millar and DJ starting. Stockley and Aneke up top, get the crosses in. Would probably go Shinnie and Pratley in CM. Hopefully Famewo fit enough to start and Purrington in at LB. 
  • Blucher said:
    A big week at The Valley, as two poor results against Burton and Blackpool will almost certainly render the last third of our season a dead rubber. It's hard to feel confident in the side after recent performances, especially after Saturday's atrocious showing. Burton have picked up following Hasselbaink's arrival - with 3 wins from the last 6 games - whilst Blackpool have, rather ominously, moved to the top of the form table, with 4 wins and a draw from the last 6. Things can change quickly results-wise, but with only 4 wins at home all season, pretty much anyone is going to fancy their chances coming to The Valley.

I agree that Famewo is unlikely to be risked for a second game in four days after so long out and I'd expect Pearce to start, with Akin on the bench. I'd select Matthews and Purrington at full-back, give Smith another chance in central midfield and bring Aneke back up top with Stockley. Hopefully the team will prove capable of putting a few passes together on Tuesday - something which proved completely beyond them at Fleetwood, particularly in a totally abject second half. I'm also hoping that Bowyer doesn't fart around too much tactically to try and counter Burton's perceived strengths; it rarely seems to work and it appears merely to confuse and undermine our own players, some of whom seem unsure of their jobs. There is much to be said for repetition and simplicity, in addition to which, we are actually facing the team who are bottom of the league. If we don't feel confident enough to concentrate on getting our own game right and letting them worry about us, something is very badly wrong.

Given our home record and the fact that they are 5 points from safety, I suspect that Burton will come on Tuesday looking to win, rather than concentrating on getting men behind the ball. That might work to our advantage if we can get Millar on the ball in advanced positions but who knows what sort of performance this Charlton side will produce. We're certainly due a home win after 3 draws and 3 defeats from the last 6 games at The Valley.
    Agree totally, Smith shouldn't be dropped after one game.
    Midfield of Pratley, Shinnie, & Smith with Millar.
  • With the goals we ship, Burton in a little run of form, Pearce likely to come in for Famewo and an awful feeling Maatson will be LB again I can see 3-1 Burton.

Hopefully wrong and this is the start of a change in our form but couldn't help but notice in the recent Sarr article his comments on Robinson as manager...

"He trusted me and when a manager trusts you it helps a lot with confidence on the pitch. You’re not scared to make bad passes, or bad control, scared to go back on the bench after a bad game, things like that."

How many of our ayers feels Bowyer really trusts them?
  • Amos

Matthews - Oshilaja - Famewo - Purrington

DJ - Smith - Shinnie - Millar

Aneke - Stockley

We are at home playing bottom no cautious /defensive set up ! GO FOR THEM !!!

• Millar needs to be playing on the left in front of Purrington. We looked more threatening and more solid defensively on that side with those two.
  • Sponsored links:

• After the game of Blow football at Fleetwood, can we attempt to play down the wings and give a decent service to Chuks and Stockley. Millar and DJ need to feed our big lads. 
    This is League 1, but play to our strengths, not our weaknesses.

I'm not on Twitter: what did Thomas Sandgaard think of that poor excuse for a football match at the seaside ?
  • Burton must be favourites but I think we can scrape a 2-1 win.
  • Like I've said before, I always feel Burton play good stuff against us and I always wonder why they are so far down, don't see Tuesday being any different

I reckon 1-1 or 2-2 
    They are bottom of the table because they are not very good.
  • Charlton 1 Burton 3, they are a team in better form than us. Since they beat us in November we have got even worse as a team than then.
  • edited February 2021
    Burton are bottom but they are not down yet, their recent form is not too shabby, 3 wins, 2 losses from the last 5 games .. they will come to the Valley ready for a good old scrap and we will have to be right on our toes to deal with that.
    Given our current form which is all over the place, any result is possible.
     Stockley and Aneke up front is our best attacking option, the problem will be getting the ball to them and at the same time not conceding silly goals.
    Got to be a home win and some leeway/breathing space for Bowyer, and boy does he need some respite from an increasingly disenchanted and pissed off fanbase, at least from the CL fans

CAFC 2 v Burton Albion 1
  • Really not working out for Gilbey is it. Was supposed to be making a comeback and raring to go.
  • Burton are bottom but they are not down yet, their recent form is not too shabby, 3 wins, 2 losses from the last 5 games .. they will come to the Valley ready for a good old scrap and we will have to be right on our toes to deal with that.
    Given our current form which is all over the place, any result is possible.
     Stockley and Aneke up front is our best attacking option, the problem will be getting the ball to them and at the same time not conceding silly goals.
    Got to be a home win and some leeway/breathing space for Bowyer, and boy does he need some respite from an increasingly disenchanted and pissed off fanbase, at least from the CL fans

CAFC 2 v Burton Albion 1
    A shame our results don't always match your predictions Mr Lincs.
  • Am I the only one who sighs when i see Pratley in the starting 11. He runs around make the odd good tackle but that's about it. Start Smith please! We should be attacking teams 

• Chunes said:
    Really not working out for Gilbey is it. Was supposed to be making a comeback and raring to go.
    And taken a large part of the salary budget