Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb 2021|

Comments

• stonemuse said:
    Somewhat unfair comparison in saying we're 6th after 27 games - this season we've played more than any other team in the division bar just Crewe (28) and the same as just Swindon.

Our "real" position when there is a level playing field is probably 8th and could be as low as 10th as Sunderland (2 points needed from 2 games in hand to overtake us), Accrington (2 from 4 games in hand), Ipswich (4 from 3) and Oxford (6 from 3) are all in a position to overhaul us.
    Understand both sides here but fact is as of today we are 6th, that's a fact.
    Thing is facts are like your mot on your car, only valid on the day of issue
    and as of today we are 6th, let's just take it at face value, no one knows where
    we will be Tuesday, Saturday, next week.
    Why do we play down our current position based on "unknown facts"
    We were top of the Premier League after 2 games in 1998.

That's a fact.
  • se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    robroy said:
    Anyone writing Schwartz off should have a word.

He’s quite clearly gifted, he’s not had the service. Stick Jensen behind him threading the balls he would be catching Chucks up. 

If he’s adjusting to the league, the country, the players. To write him off is proper silly. 

He will be quality. 
    If a chance falls to someone in the area in at Wembley in May, I hope its Schwartz. 
    Not saying it won’t work out, obviously I hope it does, but what’s the faith in him based on?
    I don't have unequivocal faith in him, now we have got Stockley I would actually rather have Bogle (no seriously) but Schwartz has that je ne sais quoi, he will just finish it.  If Aneke had that, and was fit enough, he wouldn't be playing for us.

To me, he looks so one dimensional, but I don't think we have had a player like him in the last 30 years. Give the ball to him and he will score, probably do fuck all else for 90 minutes.

He wouldn't have scored any of the goals Mendonca did at Wembley, but if he got in the positions say BWP did (he won't) he would score 40 plus goals a season. 
    You would prefer Bogle to Stockley?

Appreciate your perspective and as I said I hope Schwartz works out, a prolific striker can only be a good thing, right now he’s third in the pecking order for me.
    No not Bogle over Stockley but I would have liked to see Bogle with Stockley and more than 10 minutes of Bogle with Aneke.

If you could have used all 3 and had at least one on for the full game every match it would be good.

Of all the 7 "strikers" we have used this season I would want Stockley to partner who ever the other one is.  All six of them would look better with him than any of the others. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Somewhat unfair comparison in saying we're 6th after 27 games - this season we've played more than any other team in the division bar just Crewe (28) and the same as just Swindon.

Our "real" position when there is a level playing field is probably 8th and could be as low as 10th as Sunderland (2 points needed from 2 games in hand to overtake us), Accrington (2 from 4 games in hand), Ipswich (4 from 3) and Oxford (6 from 3) are all in a position to overhaul us.
    Understand both sides here but fact is as of today we are 6th, that's a fact.
    Thing is facts are like your mot on your car, only valid on the day of issue
    and as of today we are 6th, let's just take it at face value, no one knows where
    we will be Tuesday, Saturday, next week.
    Why do we play down our current position based on "unknown facts"
    We were top of the Premier League after 2 games in 1998.

That's a fact.
    There you go, facts are only relevant for the day they are actual, also
    thought you would have picked a better example..
    We were top of the Premier League after 1 game in 2000,  4-0 v Man City
  • Said it a few weeks back, but Shinnie is still a must start for me when he's fit. He makes the team tick so well. 
    In possession I agree, out of it he's less good. Partner him with a hardworking more defensive player and he'll do well. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Said it a few weeks back, but Shinnie is still a must start for me when he's fit. He makes the team tick so well. 
    In possession I agree, out of it he's less good. Partner him with a hardworking more defensive player and he'll do well. 
    I'd recommend Watson and Pratley behind him, just to make sure! ;-)
  • By my reckoning we must only drop 11 more points in the remainder of the season.
    On the plus side we're nearly safe from relegation.
    We must now work hard and stay humble.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    robroy said:

He’s quite clearly gifted, he’s not had the service. Stick Jensen behind him threading the balls he would be catching Chucks up. 

If he’s adjusting to the league, the country, the players. To write him off is proper silly. 

He will be quality. 
    If a chance falls to someone in the area in at Wembley in May, I hope its Schwartz. 
    Not saying it won’t work out, obviously I hope it does, but what’s the faith in him based on?
    I don't have unequivocal faith in him, now we have got Stockley I would actually rather have Bogle (no seriously) but Schwartz has that je ne sais quoi, he will just finish it.  If Aneke had that, and was fit enough, he wouldn't be playing for us.

To me, he looks so one dimensional, but I don't think we have had a player like him in the last 30 years. Give the ball to him and he will score, probably do fuck all else for 90 minutes.

He wouldn't have scored any of the goals Mendonca did at Wembley, but if he got in the positions say BWP did (he won't) he would score 40 plus goals a season. 
    You would prefer Bogle to Stockley?

Appreciate your perspective and as I said I hope Schwartz works out, a prolific striker can only be a good thing, right now he’s third in the pecking order for me.
    No not Bogle over Stockley but I would have liked to see Bogle with Stockley and more than 10 minutes of Bogle with Aneke.

If you could have used all 3 and had at least one on for the full game every match it would be good.

Of all the 7 "strikers" we have used this season I would want Stockley to partner who ever the other one is.  All six of them would look better with him than any of the others. 
    I think it was 5 minutes, not 10. And we did score a goal in those 5 minutes too.
  • On the subject of Maatson being a great left back I think we have to remember that his passing in the last three or four games has been quite wayward.I don’t think it’s that he has played too many games. It is more to do with age and experience and consistency. The brilliant player that he is he has not shown consistency and maybe some time out of that position Of left back will help him to focus on this. His long ball passing is the main issue with him. When Charlton are playing short one touch passes they are very very goodTo watch and Maatson shines in his short passing ability.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Said it a few weeks back, but Shinnie is still a must start for me when he's fit. He makes the team tick so well. 
    In the perfect midfield his job wouldn't really need to be involved in the defensive side as much. I see him as more of a "pivot" or the link. Your Pratley type destroyers don't have to carry the ball forward or make raking passes, the forwards don't have to start picking up the ball in their own half - players in the Shinnie mould are there to pick up the ball and transition between defence and attack.

I also think the defensive/hassling part of his game will improve as he gets back to fitness as well. He's not really a brawler in the Pratley model but he can be a nuisance at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Off_it said:
    Bowyer has lost the plot. Doesn't have a clue. Has lost the dressing room. No Plan B. Too much tinkering.

Blah blah blah.

Great performance. Clean sheet. Never looked in any danger. Three points.  Nothing more to say.
    1 win against 18th. Yawn. 

Good display today, lets get a run going. No more tinkering. 
    Made 3 changes. Tinkering Purington, Pearce and dropping Mathews was a good idea. 

He’s only really had to tinker because of injuries and fitness. I expect him to keep doing it
    Sorry but that is a load of tosh.  Including positional changes he has made 11 changes, 11!!, with the starting team over the last 2 games.  And 2 different formations.  None injury related, no suspensions.

One of his "good ideas" was recalling a player who was key to keeping a clean sheet 2 games ago then got tinkered out.

Getting it right today, as he did, doesn't mean he got it right previously.  Would you be happy if he makes 4 or 5 changes for next Saturday?

Based on the very impressive 1st half and very professional second, this needs to be the team for the next 2 or 3 games then its up to the individuals to make there case that they deserve to take the shirt from the incumbent.  If anything happens to Stockley we could be in bother, again. 

That includes young DJ.  Midfield balance was perfect for me today.  Playing 2 strikers AND 2 wingers is a massive risk.

If that's the start of the run we need brilliant and fingers crossed.

How good was it to be two up, like for like subs and look more like scoring the third than being peged back.  Onwards and up wards. 

I'd have Shinnie and one other in the middle. I though Pratley had a very decent game today, but all of Morgan, Shinnie and JFC have shown they can press and force a team on the back foot as well so there's options there. 

Bit miffed as to where Matt Smith fits into this.

Matt Smith, I reckon is cover for Shinnie ........ Bowyer used to wring his hands in despair at not being being able to cover Shinnie, when he was out injured for 6 weeks.

The 'Shinnie role' is going to be important to the gameplan and how we set up.

And having 'two Shinnies' in the squad means we've got cover, and 'old Shinnie' can be replaced by 'young Shinnie-Smith' or top and tailed from the bench during the game. Especially important for the congested fixture list during the final run in.

They'll both get plenty of game time.

• Jayden Stockley’s the best striker in the air we’ve had since Yann Kermorgant. If we can sign him permanently then we will go up next season if we can’t manage it this year.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    robroy said:

He will be quality. 

I stopped reading at that point.....I know football is all about opinions, but come on !!!!!!
  • I can also see Matt Smith challenging for JFC's place in the side
  • edited February 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Off_it said:
    Bowyer has lost the plot. Doesn't have a clue. Has lost the dressing room. No Plan B. Too much tinkering.

Blah blah blah.

Great performance. Clean sheet. Never looked in any danger. Three points.  Nothing more to say.

Made 3 changes. Tinkering Purington, Pearce and dropping Mathews was a good idea. 

He’s only really had to tinker because of injuries and fitness. I expect him to keep doing it
    Sorry but that is a load of tosh.  Including positional changes he has made 11 changes, 11!!, with the starting team over the last 2 games.  And 2 different formations.  None injury related, no suspensions.

One of his "good ideas" was recalling a player who was key to keeping a clean sheet 2 games ago then got tinkered out.

Getting it right today, as he did, doesn't mean he got it right previously.  Would you be happy if he makes 4 or 5 changes for next Saturday?

Based on the very impressive 1st half and very professional second, this needs to be the team for the next 2 or 3 games then its up to the individuals to make there case that they deserve to take the shirt from the incumbent.  If anything happens to Stockley we could be in bother, again. 

That includes young DJ.  Midfield balance was perfect for me today.  Playing 2 strikers AND 2 wingers is a massive risk.

How good was it to be two up, like for like subs and look more like scoring the third than being peged back.  Onwards and up wards. 

I'd have Shinnie and one other in the middle. I though Pratley had a very decent game today, but all of Morgan, Shinnie and JFC have shown they can press and force a team on the back foot as well so there's options there. 

Matt Smith, I reckon is cover for Shinnie ........ Bowyer used to wring his hands in despair at not being being able to cover Shinnie, when he was out injured for 6 weeks.

And having 'two Shinnies' in the squad means we've got cover, and 'old Shinnie' can be replaced by 'young Shinnie-Smith' or top and tailed from the bench during the game. Especially important for the congested fixture list during the final run in.

Isn’t that Morgan’s role? I see Morgan as the replacement for Shinnie on the right while Smith as the alternative for JFC as the box to box CM.
  • It’s no surprise that our improved performances are coinciding with Shinnie’s return to fitness. The feller is absolutely mustard.
    100% 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    robroy said:

He will be quality. 

I stopped reading at that point.....I know football is all about opinions, but come on !!!!!!
    This is evidence that some people will complain no matter what. After Stockley's first performance, I wasn't entirely sold, after his second it was clear he was at least as good as Bogle, in the two since he has proven he is better, reads the game better and bullies defenders all better than Bogle was meant to be able to. 

Stockley is a better fit for Bowyer's game plan. 
  • edited February 2021
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Off_it said:

Blah blah blah.

Isn’t that Morgan’s role? I see Morgan as the replacement for Shinnie on the right while Smith as the alternative for JFC as the box to box CM.
    Yep that's how I see it. However if JFC is having a stormer and we're against a strong midfield, I might consider Smith to replace Shinnie in place of Albie. 
  • edited February 2021
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Off_it said:

Blah blah blah.

Maybe ...... it depends if Bow sticks with a flat 4-4-2.

Shinnie has been at his most creative as a CM. And so has Matt Smith for Swindon.
    Watching footage, they do seem quite similar to each other - and both seem to be capable of the same role.,

While Shinnie has done quite well played in a wide role, I still feel we got more from him when played more centrally.
    Funnily enough, I think the same  with Morgan.

• Sponsored links:

• I can’t wait to see Millar, Stockley, Aneke and DJ as the front four ... exciting times 
  • _MrDick said:
    I can’t wait to see Millar, Stockley, Aneke and DJ as the front four ... exciting times 
    You'll have to wait a month or so ...... and not until we're 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go.

I didn't used to be this cynical did I ?

• Dazzler21 said:
    LOL Deji sounds like he's on 1.5x speed.
    Probably still got concussion, and can't remember even  getting the goal
  • DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    robroy said:

He will be quality. 

This is evidence that some people will complain no matter what. After Stockley's first performance, I wasn't entirely sold, after his second it was clear he was at least as good as Bogle, in the two since he has proven he is better, reads the game better and bullies defenders all better than Bogle was meant to be able to. 

With respect, the poster is clearly talking about sooner having Bogle than schwarz, not stockley - that’s very odd to me but what is more odd is that it’s taken you 4 games to work out that stockley is better than bogle - that’s just bizarre and this might sound nasty but it completely removes any credibility to any of your views - it took me 4 minutes - the fact u wouldn’t play shinnie at centre mid in a midfield 2 must also be tempered by that shocking lack of football judgement - sorry but it had to be said 
    My point is/was that if you had 3 bigger strikers (neither Bogle nor Aneke are target men) you could have 2 of them on the pitch almost all of the time.  It would have been nice to have bought one on on Saturday, without changing the way we play.

Yes it's nice to have different options but if Stockley and Aneke are the 1st choice pair, which they should be, it would be benifical to have something like a like for like replacement.  
  • edited February 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    robroy said:

He will be quality. 

With respect, the poster is clearly talking about sooner having Bogle than schwarz, not stockley - that’s very odd to me but what is more odd is that it’s taken you 4 games to work out that stockley is better than bogle - that’s just bizarre and this might sound nasty but it completely removes any credibility to any of your views - it took me 4 minutes - the fact u wouldn’t play shinnie at centre mid in a midfield 2 must also be tempered by that shocking lack of football judgement - sorry but it had to be said  
    How many players have we seen join us, look decent and immediately fall away? Bogle actually started his season looking quite decent for us, it felt like the goals were going to come, then each game after it felt less and less likely he would score and he became less and less effective.

Another victim of looking decent on joining and falling away. 

In addition to that, I didn't say I wouldn't play Shinnie in a 2, I said if you do he needs a hardworking defensive partner.
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd add that Pratley should probably be that man, but only until we get someone younger and quicker to do the job. 

You just choose to read what you want though even if the words you then spout back are completely incorrect... A bit of confirmation bias from a poster that thinks they're better than everyone else is the least I'd expect...
  • Dazzler21 said:
    LOL Deji sounds like he's on speed.

• Dazzler21 said:
    LOL Deji sounds like he's on 1.5x speed.
    Hopefully sell a couple of wraps to Watson