Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb 2021|

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Can’t understand the Shinnie shaming going on, has been consistently decent when called upon this season and I think, overall, he did fairly well yesterday. 
    Agreed, a very good corner for the second goal too. Could easily have been an assist with Stockley scoring. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    Chunes said:
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Shinnie:

He started off shite,
    He finished alright,
    Walking in a Shinnie wonderland. 
    Poor player who is lightweight and poor in possession costing us twice in 2 games at least. First 6 touches yesterday he lost the ball 4 times. Should be nowhere near a 1st choice.
    Jury still out for me especially if we are thinking of making him a permanent signing beyond the end of the season. 

Was There any reason given why Gilbey was not in the match day squad yesterday? Didn’t deserve to be mind on performances to date.
    Been missing the last two squads now
    Hmm, Makes you wonder if he’s also been a bit disruptive/ outspoken like Maddison 🤔.
    Who would you drop from the bench for him? He's been awful this season. I don't think anyone on this forum even backs him up, and that's rare! It's more likely he just doesn't deserve a spot at the moment. 
    I wouldn’t drop anyone for him I think he’s been a massive disappointment, why? Did you think I felt he’d been hard done by cos I don’t 😉.
    No not at all. Thought you were suggesting maybe he's been left out because he's been disruptive, but we agree he's just been rubbish! 
    It begs the question though, that as well as being poor, has he also been disruptive. The two are not mutually exclusive.
    I don't understand how it begs that question?
    Well his performances have been poor the management could have suggested ways to improve his game, he could have disagreed with role he was being asked to undertake and you have a difference of opinion.

Our last six matches;

Subbed off at HT v Rochdale 

Subbed on v B Rovers for 3 mins

Subbed on v Pboro for 11 mins

On the bench v Swindon

Not in squad v Pompey or Rochdale.

But isn't that all explained by the fact he's been poor? The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Seems unfair on the bloke to start circulating a rumour that maybe he's disruptive when there's no evidence that's not equally explained by the fact he's been woefully out of form. 
    Who’s circulating a rumour I’ve merely asked the question. Other posters on here have said that other members of the squad had told them in confidence there were other dissenting voices in the dressing room, could it have been him that’s all.
    It was not him. At least the most concerning one was not him. Allegedly.
  • Where are these allegations, clearly passed me by?
  • stonemuse said:
    Somewhat unfair comparison in saying we're 6th after 27 games - this season we've played more than any other team in the division bar just Crewe (28) and the same as just Swindon.

Our "real" position when there is a level playing field is probably 8th and could be as low as 10th as Sunderland (2 points needed from 2 games in hand to overtake us), Accrington (2 from 4 games in hand), Ipswich (4 from 3) and Oxford (6 from 3) are all in a position to overhaul us.
    Sides around us didn’t capitalise on their games yesterday. We have the points, they don’t. 
  • Shinnie:

He started off shite,
    He finished alright,
    Poor player who is lightweight and poor in possession costing us twice in 2 games at least. First 6 touches yesterday he lost the ball 4 times. Should be nowhere near a 1st choice.
    Well, I do find it difficult that anyone can watch a game of football and call Shinnie a poor player. The bloke is absolute mustard. 

I'm totally with you that his first touch was poor on a few occasions yesterday, but apart from that I thought he had a very good game playing slightly out of position for him. He had a very tough job alongside Gunter having to deal with Baah down that flank, and all in all they kept him pretty quiet. 

On the ball, when he has it under control and at his feet - this is going to be a big statement - but I think he's the best player we have had in being able to move the ball through the midfield and getting us on the front foot in a long while. It's no surprise that our best performances come with him on the field. He just plays the game at a different pace to lots of other players. 
    Football is about opinions 

As a passer Morgan is better

Look at the cross in the first half under no pressure not only missing our front two it almost missed the stand. 

There is a clear reason why Luton have let him go out on loan.

I hope I am proved wrong and he supports a good run and changes some opinions including mine.

• I thought he did well yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:
    Somewhat unfair comparison in saying we're 6th after 27 games - this season we've played more than any other team in the division bar just Crewe (28) and the same as just Swindon.

Our "real" position when there is a level playing field is probably 8th and could be as low as 10th as Sunderland (2 points needed from 2 games in hand to overtake us), Accrington (2 from 4 games in hand), Ipswich (4 from 3) and Oxford (6 from 3) are all in a position to overhaul us.
    Understand both sides here but fact is as of today we are 6th, that's a fact.
    Thing is facts are like your mot on your car, only valid on the day of issue
    and as of today we are 6th, let's just take it at face value, no one knows where
    we will be Tuesday, Saturday, next week.
    Why do we play down our current position based on "unknown facts"
  • I think any analysis of this performance has to be adjusted to account for the fact that Rochdale were pretty terrible. 
    I do it myself, but we never adjust our analysis for when the opposition were pretty good. We caught Rochdale scoring worldies, Accrington and Portsmouth putting in perfect away from home solid performances, MK Dons when all their passing game came together for their ‘game of the season’.

All in the ‘making excuses’ camp, but we are always quick to flag it when it works out for us. 
    Indeed. Rochdale were only as terrible as we made them
    They’ve been scoring goals for fun. We stopped them scoring. But that was because they were terrible!!
    Not sure if there is some misunderstanding going on here, or just me being dense.
    The point I was trying to make was that, if Rochdale looked "terrible" it was only because our excellent performance made them look that way.
    I hate the way that when we win people so often conclude that the opposition were shit (thereby devaluing our performance), without giving ourselves credit for making them look that way by virtue of our performance.

Agreed.
  • I think any analysis of this performance has to be adjusted to account for the fact that Rochdale were pretty terrible. 
    I do it myself, but we never adjust our analysis for when the opposition were pretty good. We caught Rochdale scoring worldies, Accrington and Portsmouth putting in perfect away from home solid performances, MK Dons when all their passing game came together for their ‘game of the season’.

All in the ‘making excuses’ camp, but we are always quick to flag it when it works out for us. 
    They’ve been scoring goals for fun. We stopped them scoring. But that was because they were terrible!!
    Not sure if there is some misunderstanding going on here, or just me being dense.
    The point I was trying to make was that, if Rochdale looked "terrible" it was only because our excellent performance made them look that way.
    I hate the way that when we win people so often conclude that the opposition were shit (thereby devaluing our performance), without giving ourselves credit for making them look that way by virtue of our performance.

I call this the Australian syndrome......if they lose at any sport it’s never because the opposition performed well, it was because they played poorly.
  • edited February 2021
    Rochdale were unable to push forwards with numbers because they couldn't handle us defensively. This made them easier to defend against. They resorted to breaks. Had we been ultra defensive, they may well have looked a lot better.

I call this the Australian syndrome......if they lose at any sport it’s never because the opposition performed well, it was because they played poorly.
    This
    It's the same in the English game, you are never beaten by a better team, rather
    you played badly or surrendered, ask any manager you get the same answer.
  • edited February 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Shinnie:

He started off shite,
    He finished alright,
    couldn't disagree more - not easy for a centre mid maestro to be stuck out on the wing so when LB gains the balls to put him in the middle, where he should be, you will see that he is the most comfortable on the ball player we have and the most creative 
    He's creative in the middle, but poor defensively, ruling him out of the 2 in a flat 4 for me if it involves JFC or Morgan or even Smith as his partner.

Alongside Pratley he can be creative without worry. 
  • ross1 said:
    If you look close enough you’ll find the reason for our win is that JFC has gone and got some sort of hair band or something so doesn’t have to touch his stupid barnet all fucking game .
    I noticed that. JFC must be reading CL. It was driving me nuts.
  • ct_addick said:
    ross1 said:
    If you look close enough you’ll find the reason for our win is that JFC has gone and got some sort of hair band or something so doesn’t have to touch his stupid barnet all fucking game .
    I noticed that. JFC must be reading CL. It was driving me nuts.
    I think a few of them might read this mate. It's quite amazing how many times LB answers questions or brings up subjects that have been debated on here 🤭🤭🤭 if your reading this Lee well done this weekend mate more of the same next week please
  • Sponsored links:

• Shinnie:

He started off shite,
    He finished alright,
    Well, I do find it difficult that anyone can watch a game of football and call Shinnie a poor player. The bloke is absolute mustard. 

I'm totally with you that his first touch was poor on a few occasions yesterday, but apart from that I thought he had a very good game playing slightly out of position for him. He had a very tough job alongside Gunter having to deal with Baah down that flank, and all in all they kept him pretty quiet. 

On the ball, when he has it under control and at his feet - this is going to be a big statement - but I think he's the best player we have had in being able to move the ball through the midfield and getting us on the front foot in a long while. It's no surprise that our best performances come with him on the field. He just plays the game at a different pace to lots of other players. 
    Football is about opinions 

As a passer Morgan is better

Look at the cross in the first half under no pressure not only missing our front two it almost missed the stand. 

There is a clear reason why Luton have let him go out on loan.

I hope I am proved wrong and he supports a good run and changes some opinions including mine.

Nobody even wanted Morgan last season, let alone a League 1 club. He's improved a bit but is nowhere near as good as Shinnie yet. Luton didn't want to lose him and anyway, they're in the league above. Last time he was in this league he helped his side win the title. 
  • Shinnie is both 1) coming back from injury and 2) not in his usual position. Once he is fully up to speed I have no doubts about his proving his worth, and would be delighted to see him made permanent if financially viable.

I'm sure most of us would like to see a focus on youth and potential in future recruiting but a few older and more experienced heads around the place wouldn't hurt and there's a lot young midfielders at this level can learn from Shinnie.
  • For what it's worth, having read the thread I think anyone who can't see what Shinnie brings to the team is football blind. His box to box midfield work is outstanding. He is one of the major reasons why we are showing an improvement in midfield.
  • Said it a few weeks back, but Shinnie is still a must start for me when he's fit. He makes the team tick so well. 
  • Yes we were very good yesterday, and did a job on Rochdale with the right team selection and tactics, but we shouldn't get too carried away. Rochdale have been terrible at home, ONE win at home all season (back on the 3rd October vs Fleetwood)

Gillingham will be a better sign of where we are, especially as they'll be up for it...
  • Shinnie is Josh Cullen's big brother.