Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb 2021|

Comments

• Scoham nails it as ever.
    Thanks LB, that was the performance we have been desperate for.
    Can we now keep the core of this side, not too much tinkering, and put a run together?
    Enjoyed DJ's little cameo
  • I think any analysis of this performance has to be adjusted to account for the fact that Rochdale were pretty terrible. 
    I do it myself, but we never adjust our analysis for when the opposition were pretty good. We caught Rochdale scoring worldies, Accrington and Portsmouth putting in perfect away from home solid performances, MK Dons when all their passing game came together for their ‘game of the season’.

All in the ‘making excuses’ camp, but we are always quick to flag it when it works out for us. 
    Indeed. Rochdale were only as terrible as we made them
  • Shinnie:

He started off shite,
    He finished alright,
    Walking in a Shinnie wonderland. 
    Poor player who is lightweight and poor in possession costing us twice in 2 games at least. First 6 touches yesterday he lost the ball 4 times. Should be nowhere near a 1st choice.
  • The entire team stepped up to the plate. Purrington showed he should be first choice at left-back, Pearce showed he still has plenty to offer, Millar is a class above, sign Stockley on a permanent deal asap, keep Pratley in the role he played yesterday, fingers crossed Deji continues to give MoM performances and a smashing cameo from DJ.
     After being in the depths of despair following the Pompey game, I am now optimistic of us going on a good run.
  • stonemuse said:
    Somewhat unfair comparison in saying we're 6th after 27 games - this season we've played more than any other team in the division bar just Crewe (28) and the same as just Swindon.

Our "real" position when there is a level playing field is probably 8th and could be as low as 10th as Sunderland (2 points needed from 2 games in hand to overtake us), Accrington (2 from 4 games in hand), Ipswich (4 from 3) and Oxford (6 from 3) are all in a position to overhaul us.
  • Sponsored links:

• God, that league one winning season was immense looking at those comparisons.

like others have mentioned, I would like Purrington to start at LB for the foreseeable.  There seems to be a much more defensive balance to us when he plays.  I’ve got nothing against Maatsen, I’m basing this on solid performances at MK Dons and now Rochdale.  I know there’s pressure to play these loan players, especially from Chelsea, but we’ve 19 games left.  I think Bowyer can give Purrington a run 
  • stonemuse said:
    Somewhat unfair comparison in saying we're 6th after 27 games - this season we've played more than any other team in the division bar just Crewe (28) and the same as just Swindon.

Our "real" position when there is a level playing field is probably 8th and could be as low as 10th as Sunderland (2 points needed from 2 games in hand to overtake us), Accrington (2 from 4 games in hand), Ipswich (4 from 3) and Oxford (6 from 3) are all in a position to overhaul us.
    As this is from CafcFacts it is a fact that we are 6th after 27 games.
    Maybe if every team had played the same amount of games our position would be different but at this moment in time a fact is a fact. 
    And that's a fact.  B)
  • edited February 2021
    Purrington made a huge improvement at left back
    Agree with this. Maybe he wasn't up against the best opponent, but he didn't put a foot wrong defensively. With the ball he was efficient and linked very well with both JFC and Millar.  Was possibly BP's best game in a Charlton shirt.

Otherwise, when he cuts out the mistakes, as he has been doing, Oshilaja is arguably as effective as Inniss. What he lacks in height, he makes up in pace, sharpness and an outstanding leap. He seemed to win headers all day long yesterday. 

This is the first extended run he has had at CB with us I think, and his best spell of form. Maybe not a coincidence, and possibly it is only recently we have seen the player he can be. Add to that his versatility, and I'm beginning to think he deserves a new contract. 

Pearce played well yesterday, other than one typical JP grapple, but I think Famewo is an upgrade, especially against pace, and should come back in. I think Deji gives Inniss a fight for a place. 
  • edited February 2021
    stonemuse said:

Maybe if every team had played the same amount of games our position would be different but at this moment in time a fact is a fact. 
    And that's a fact.  B)
    I wonder if CafcFacts will produce the table after Tuesday night's matches because if Accrington and Sunderland win we will be 8th? And the fact will be that that will be our position after 27 games too!
  • stonemuse said:

And that's a fact.  B)
    I wonder if CafcFacts will produce the table after Tuesday night's matches because if Accrington and Sunderland win we will be 8th? And that will be a fact too!
    Yep .weather permitting there's 10 league one games on Tuesday and 6 the following Tuesday. 
    We will have a much clearer picture of our league position following these matches. 
  • That was a great team performance yesterday - defended as a team, attacked as a team - no player had a bad game IMO - if we play like that remainder of season we will be fine
  • stonemuse said:

Said exactly the same to Golfie Jnr last night when I saw those stats.
  • edited February 2021
    That was a great team performance yesterday - defended as a team, attacked as a team - no player had a bad game IMO - if we play like that remainder of season we will be fine
    That's a great point - we looked like a team, something we haven't done in recent months. I think much of that is down to playing a 4-4-2, a system every player knows how to play.
  • edited February 2021
    I believe that when the ball goes forward and doesn't keep coming back immediately it helps the games of others. You can mark Schwartz and Washington tightly and nick the ball from them but you can't do that so easily with Aneke and Stokley. It is wrong to question Schwartz, he is short of football and his time will come I'm sure, but for the moment we are onto something with Aneke and Stockley.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like maatsen but it was clear he needs a rest and purrington is a solid left back. Just need Gunter swapped for Matthew’s and I’d be happier with our back four. Until injuries clear up. But thought everyone put a shift in today. Millar has made such a difference to us as well best signing this season. 
  • I like Gunter as a right back. Far less so as a centre half. Matthews is a bit more of a wing back but the quality of his crosses has been poor this season. He finds the first man about 90% of the time!
  • Quite simply Charlton need to win games to try and overcome those stats. If Charlton win ten games they are play off bound. Teams will start to have problems through injuries and suspensions, look at Luton two seasons back, went on a fantastic run then couldn't buy a win and got up on a result elsewhere.
  • stonemuse said:

And that's a fact.  B)
    I wonder if CafcFacts will produce the table after Tuesday night's matches because if Accrington and Sunderland win we will be 8th? And the fact will be that that will be our position after 27 games too!
    No doubt he will.

What a mountain of cracking info he puts together.  A great poster.
  • Sod it, I'm going positive... That IS the turning point... Go on Lee you fucking ledge!
  • Anyone clock their defender who got spun by Aneke for the first goal seemingly turn round and blame the goalkeeper 😂 
  • I think the main change that made us look solid was having two fullbacks that can actually defend - rather than bomb forward like Maatsen and Matthews who are both good going forward but neither are good defenders . Gunter and Purrington are better defenders and give us more height on set pieces . This also helps our two centre halves who have not been playing that well . 

• Great performance. Leave the team as it is Lee.