Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb 2021|

Comments

• chucks should be first name on team sheet if fit 
  • The only negative from today was I doubt Rochdale were expecting us to play like we did, so we must have surprised them. The question is, if they did, could they have done anything about it? Gillingham is going to be interesting and a good marker as to how our season might go.
  • Important thing was that for the first time in a long while the plan seemed to be to make someone react to us instead of the other way round - and it worked. With the physical presence and power up front we had, Rochdale's attack was forced to be hastier and more direct which in turn is the kind of play Pearce will thrive against.

For all that it's "only" Rochdale and perhaps we should be expecting to win, there's been a lot of teams we "should" beat and haven't so it's still good to take the positives when we can.

There is of course an old saying about swallows and summers but if Bowyer can channel more of whatever he was doing today then hopefully we might just see this nearly mythical "run" actually happen, which will be excellent for the team and manager alike.
  • then millar, then stockley - fit the rest around them 
  • edited February 2021
    My final comment of the day is that I believe that is the closest we have got to a truly front foot performance this season. From the start, not 30 mins here or there. Let's hope that continues.
  • edited February 2021
    I’d happily keep liking this all evening and don’t mean offence to Bogle by that. Stockley was my MOTM today. Was a joy to see that type of performance in a Charlton shirt. 
  • edited February 2021
    My final comment of the day is that I believe that is the closest we have got to a truly front foot performance this season. From the start, not 30 mins here or there. Let's hope that continues.
    Absolutely. Pleased that we got the 2-0 lead and managed the game out successfully. Getting a 3rd or 4th would have been great but can’t expect that every game.

Need to make sure we start like that against Gillingham and begin on the front foot and look to dominate rather than playing catch up when we go 1-0 down.
  • Redrobo said:
    I said earlier this week that I thought Pearce has not been 100% fit since he came back from injury and that we are better when Purrington plays.

For me the 1st 11 is starting to take shape.
                  Amos
    Gunter Oshi Pearce (until Famewo back) Purrington 
         X.     Pratley.  JFC.  Millar    
                Y.     Stockley.

Also have to say that Bowyer got his tactics spot on today. Good away win. Should have had two pens and with a modicum of luck another from open play.
    It's a tough one with the midfield. Millar has to play down the left so that rules out the diamond. Shinnie isn't a winger but I do rate him and think he deserves to start. Eventually I would like to see us play DJ down the right against the teams where we should be looking to dominate. But then we have so many CM's trying to fit into a midfield pairing. It's good to have depth, just not sure what our best side. 

Agree on Purrington though, deserves a run in the side. Deji's form means the return of Inniss is less important and doesn't need to be rushed, would love Famewo back ASAP although Pearce was good today. 
    I know I am boring on 4-4-2, but it suits us at the moment. The diamond is my least favourite formation unless you really have all the players in place to make work, or you are matching. 3-5-2 maybe. For me a game is won or lost in midfield.
    At the moment, six of our outfielders defending and four attacking is a good balance of our strengths and weaknesses.
    For example, Gillingham are a physical and direct side typical of this league. Will our front four tie up more of their players? Millar takes two. Chucks takes two. Can you leave Stockley one on one? As you, I would be looking to bring in DJ, he would need just one? All of a sudden the maths does not work.
  • As a kid i loved playing in the wet/mud. Makes me think that Pearce and Purrington probably also prefer heavy conditions rather than hard ground where lack of real pace might be found out. My old West Ham mate said that Trevor Brooking was absolutely unplayable in the mud. Reminds me of Morts in the snow at the old Den! What i am suggesting is that it is sometimes horses for courses, so keep Maatsen handy for the hard grounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    I think any analysis of this performance has to be adjusted to account for the fact that Rochdale were pretty terrible. Even then, the encouraging thing for us is we capitalised on them being poor and really got on top of them and controlled the game.

Everyone, at a minimum, had a decent game. Millar, Chuks, Pratley, Deji and Purrington were the standouts for me. 

The back four looked solid, but we’ve seen Deji and Pearce look shakier than a blancmange in an earthquake before now so I’d like to see them hold back a better side than Rochdale before we declare our defensive woes are over. Deji at least has been much improved for a number of matches now. 

A key thing for the defence was the work rate was back from front to back and we pressed and closed down space quickly and effectively all over the pitch. The back four simply did not have to work as hard as in recent matches because danger was snuffed out higher up
    the pitch and that is massive when it comes to trying to keep clean sheets.

Just generally the hunger looked like it was there again, exemplified by the way Stockley and Pearce threw themselves around to keep the ball alive for Deji’s goal. 

One swallow doesn’t make a summer, but it does feel like something to build on. If we can keep it up and find that consistency again then with 5 winnable looking games coming for us, and the games in hand if others set to be played, our position could look a lot rosier in a month or so. 

• I’d happily keep liking this all evening and don’t mean offence to Bogle by that. Stockley was my MOTM today. Was a joy to see that type of performance in a Charlton shirt. 
     Stockley works defences. They cannot let their guard down.

With Bogle, they had the cigars out 5 minutes after kick off!
  • Always liked Purrington and baffled at the stick he gets on here. I watched the game Tuesday and Maatsen and Millar were running into the same spaces going forward. Maatsen is a good player but young and is learning. I wouldn't start him with Millar on the same side. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    I said earlier this week that I thought Pearce has not been 100% fit since he came back from injury and that we are better when Purrington plays.

For me the 1st 11 is starting to take shape.
                  Amos
    Gunter Oshi Pearce (until Famewo back) Purrington 
         X.     Pratley.  JFC.  Millar    
                Y.     Stockley.

Also have to say that Bowyer got his tactics spot on today. Good away win. Should have had two pens and with a modicum of luck another from open play.
    It's a tough one with the midfield. Millar has to play down the left so that rules out the diamond. Shinnie isn't a winger but I do rate him and think he deserves to start. Eventually I would like to see us play DJ down the right against the teams where we should be looking to dominate. But then we have so many CM's trying to fit into a midfield pairing. It's good to have depth, just not sure what our best side. 

Agree on Purrington though, deserves a run in the side. Deji's form means the return of Inniss is less important and doesn't need to be rushed, would love Famewo back ASAP although Pearce was good today. 
    I know I am boring on 4-4-2, but it suits us at the moment. The diamond is my least favourite formation unless you really have all the players in place to make work, or you are matching. 3-5-2 maybe. For me a game is won or lost in midfield.
    At the moment, six of our outfielders defending and four attacking is a good balance of our strengths and weaknesses.
    For example, Gillingham are a physical and direct side typical of this league. Will our front four tie up more of their players? Millar takes two. Chucks takes two. Can you leave Stockley one on one? As you, I would be looking to bring in DJ, he would need just one? All of a sudden the maths does not work.
    Yeah agree on 442, but then we only have 2 wingers. Could maybe include Maatsen as a LM but then that’s all 3 of them preferring the left hand side. Not a fan of 352 for us, we don’t have the RWB for it. 442 has to be the preferred formation for us. 

Also agree on Gillingham, we need the bigger units. I think the team we put out today should definitely be the same next week. Taking out Matthews and Maatsen for Purrington and Pearce gives us that physical presence, plus Pratley and the front two we are a big strong side ourselves. 

• As a kid i loved playing in the wet/mud. Makes me think that Pearce and Purrington probably also prefer heavy conditions rather than hard ground where lack of real pace might be found out. My old West Ham mate said that Trevor Brooking was absolutely unplayable in the mud. Reminds me of Morts in the snow at the old Den! What i am suggesting is that it is sometimes horses for courses, so keep Maatsen handy for the hard grounds.
    It’s a bit of a footballing cliche, but it’s true that at any level you have to earn the right to play. In league one that means having your fair share of players who will relish the battle. Deji (with Innis to return), Pratley back in midfield, and now Stockley in attack - that’s a spine of players who will all give at least as good as they get and often more when the game gets physical. Never seen a striker chuck himself around like Stockley does trying to be first to the ball. 
  • Great  win today, could have been 4-0 at half time.
    definite penalty and two woodworks.
    clean Sheet and our defence was greatly improved 
    before our two star central defenders return from injury.
    all we need is to string a few good results together 
    come on you reds 👍👍👍
  • Croydon said:
    Solid win, could have been more. Forced Rochdale into long ball football, which Deji and Pearce dealt with well. Purrington solid, as usual, and good to have him back.

Aneke and Stockley are the partnership we need to build on. Jaiyesemi looked lively, and a good addition. 
    Agree with this. I think Schwartz will fade away like a slab of lurpak in a Scandinavian sauna. Shows the mediocrity of the Danish league. Blatantly obvious that he was a Sandgaard 'patriotic' signing. 
    What a load of crap.

Schwartz is good enough but not every player is the same...Stockley is a menace in the air, Chucks is good to feet, Washington hassles the defences to force an error & Schwartz plays off the shoulder and as such needs service which has been lacking in recent games. 

Would you rather we kept Bogle and not signed Schwartz? 
    In a non direct answer I would have liked to have seen Bogle play with Stockley, or even Aneke for that matter, I honestly belive there would have been a massive difference in his level of performance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Simple effective 4-4-2 with players being organised and disciplined. Everyone in natural positions bar Shinnie who put in a comfortable performance still. 

Defended from the front brilliantly, pressed and controlled the tempo in the opposition half no gaps between the lines. 

Got to stick with it imo and work on it and let opposition worry about us rather then us change every week worrying about them. 

Not sure what the refs problem with Aneke number of occasions I felt decision was fairly straight forward and went against him.
  • stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:
    Bowyer has lost the plot. Doesn't have a clue. Has lost the dressing room. No Plan B. Too much tinkering.

Blah blah blah.

Great performance. Clean sheet. Never looked in any danger. Three points.  Nothing more to say.
     :D  off.. it must be completely off it 
     to condemn Lee Bowyer after a down term in form due to losing key players through injury.
    But respectfully every supporter is entitled to their opinions irrespective of how moronic 
    they are 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Solid win, could have been more. Forced Rochdale into long ball football, which Deji and Pearce dealt with well. Purrington solid, as usual, and good to have him back.

Aneke and Stockley are the partnership we need to build on. Jaiyesemi looked lively, and a good addition. 
    Agree with this. I think Schwartz will fade away like a slab of lurpak in a Scandinavian sauna. Shows the mediocrity of the Danish league. Blatantly obvious that he was a Sandgaard 'patriotic' signing. 
    What a load of crap.

Schwartz is good enough but not every player is the same...Stockley is a menace in the air, Chucks is good to feet, Washington hassles the defences to force an error & Schwartz plays off the shoulder and as such needs service which has been lacking in recent games. 

In a non direct answer I would have liked to have seen Bogle play with Stockley, or even Aneke for that matter, I honestly belive there would have been a massive difference in his level of performance. 
    Only that they would have made him look worse....
  • edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:

What a load of crap.

Only that they would have made him look worse....
    I completely disagree but it's all about opinions isn't it.

But I'll tell you who Schwartz would have played well with, apart from the obvious Yann, Di Canio etc, Paul Hayes.  They would have been good together. 
  • Solidgone said:
    Rochdale’s Baah is a handy player. 
    Did he sign for man city in the end ?
  • Solidgone said:
    Yup
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Solidgone said:
    Yup