Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 06 Feb 2021|

Comments

• Probably our best performance since Pompey away.  As much as we played well as an attacking unit (although we should have scored more), it was cutting out the daft mistakes at the back and not going behind which made such a difference, we weren't chasing the game and having to make loads of subs to get back in it.

Despite how well Pearce played if Akin is fit for next Saturday that is the only change  I would, as I feel if we are to have chance of going up, we need to be playing 2 out of 3 of Deji, Akin and Innies is a must
  • At last we've beaten someone that we should.  Now we just need to claw back the points and hope those around us with games in hand waste them.
  • The way we played today suits Pratley. He goes around kicking people and winning balls and can be very effective. 
  • A very good performance today but don’t think we should get carried away just yet. After today we have four winnable games against teams below us and I think it’ll be prudent to see how the land lies after that. In an ideal world LB sticks with the same formation and players but we know from experience that he has the inclination to change things when there is no real need to. We should all hope that someone has a word in his ear to advise him to keep it simple, to see how we go with continuing today’s game plan. Today worked.

Stockley, Oshi and Purrington were excellent today. Regarding the latter he must keep his place over Maatsen and if Chelsea don’t like it, well, f ‘em.
    Spot on
  • Really impressive performance. Managed the game comfortably from start to finish. 

Zero complaints about anything today. Need to follow this up with a win against Gillingham and start to sort the home form out to go alongside these strong away showing.

if Bowyer drops Purrington next week I will be straight into Sandgaard DM’s on Twitter. Back to back clean sheets for Purrington.
    You bother our owner with your recommendations on whom Bow should play at left back? Nah...I’ve been whooshed, right?

Excellent all round. Stonewall penalty on Miller first half. ref 2 yards away with his arms still out after he had played advantage earlier. I’d love to DM somebody about that. 
    Yes.
  • I'm more positive about the difference in how we set up and played. I was a bit guarded after MK Dons, but today is how we need to play. It has taken far too long to get to this point, but this is a way forward for us.
    The result is to be celebrated, with caveats, it's the performance that was the stand out.  It could have been 6 and it wouldn't of flattered us.

Touch wood that's the start of the run we need 
  • A good three points.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the score flattered rochdale. The woodwork saved them 4 times and two big penalty shouts.

please stick to 4-4-2 and playing players in their correct positions. Strike first and strike hard, control the game rather than chase it.

Dilemma on who to pick as the two centre midfielders.

another win next week without making 4 changes and I’ll start heading back towards the bowyer in camp.
  • So much better today playing on the front foot, not giving Rochdale any time on the ball. We looked better defensively with Pearce and Purrington back in the team, yes they are not great players but Gunter is not a centrer back and Matesen has been poor for a while now. Midfield looked good today and Millar was class. The front 2 were brilliant as well closing everything down. 
  • I think the score flattered rochdale. The woodwork saved them 4 times and two big penalty shouts.

please stick to 4-4-2 and playing players in their correct positions. Strike first and strike hard, control the game rather than chase it.

another win next week without making 4 changes and I’ll start heading back towards the bowyer in camp.
    You can’t just walk straight back in, you’ll be on probation same as @Dazzler21 😉.
  • RedChaser said:
    I think the score flattered rochdale. The woodwork saved them 4 times and two big penalty shouts.

You can’t just walk straight back in, you’ll be on probation same as @Dazzler21 😉.
    Please?
  • edited February 2021
    It is one result. We don't know the team Bowyer will pick for the next game. He has previous for messing about but the point I made before the game, when I saw Stockley and Aneke playing together was this is a departure tactically from what we have seen before. And I believe it is a positive sign for us if it is sustained.

We need to have front players that win more than their fair share of 40:60s and when they don't make the clearances rushed. We need to stop farting about with our passing and be more direct, which I thought we were, both in our general passing and playing long balls a lot sooner than we have normally done this season.

In the first half, the midfield pushed up and used this so the front players were supported, but also we won loads of second ball. In the second half our midfielders played a bit deeper, but that is understandable when you have a two goal lead as long as you still carry a threat which I thought we did and a sign of intent was the subs which were unusually not negative. 

• Sorry but that is a load of tosh.  Including positional changes he has made 11 changes, 11!!, with the starting team over the last 2 games.  And 2 different formations.  None injury related, no suspensions.

One of his "good ideas" was recalling a player who was key to keeping a clean sheet 2 games ago then got tinkered out.

Getting it right today, as he did, doesn't mean he got it right previously.  Would you be happy if he makes 4 or 5 changes for next Saturday?

Based on the very impressive 1st half and very professional second, this needs to be the team for the next 2 or 3 games then its up to the individuals to make there case that they deserve to take the shirt from the incumbent.  If anything happens to Stockley we could be in bother, again. 

That includes young DJ.  Midfield balance was perfect for me today.  Playing 2 strikers AND 2 wingers is a massive risk.

If that's the start of the run we need brilliant and fingers crossed.

How good was it to be two up, like for like subs and look more like scoring the third than being peged back.  Onwards and up wards. 
    I think if he could play his best 11 every game he would

That’s what he used to do

He wasn’t convinced of Deji and Purington. Clearly he was wrong about them.

I honest don’t think the sun shines out of his behind, despite what some might think... lol

in just trying to be a realist 
  • RedChaser said:
    I think the score flattered rochdale. The woodwork saved them 4 times and two big penalty shouts.

Please?
    Oh go on then, I’m getting soft in my old age 😇.
  • A very good performance today but don’t think we should get carried away just yet. After today we have four winnable games against teams below us and I think it’ll be prudent to see how the land lies after that. In an ideal world LB sticks with the same formation and players but we know from experience that he has the inclination to change things when there is no real need to. We should all hope that someone has a word in his ear to advise him to keep it simple, to see how we go with continuing today’s game plan. Today worked.

Stockley, Oshi and Purrington were excellent today. Regarding the latter he must keep his place over Maatsen and if Chelsea don’t like it, well, f ‘em.
    Spot on. I was going to something similar, but so well. 

Today was a great performance, but we have had them before and things changed the next game because of the need to 'compete against the strengths of the oppo'.

• Solid performance.  I agree with Golfie that I would have wanted DJ and Millar to play from kick off as wingers.  Purrington excellent at LB.  I like Maatsen but think he’s given the ball away cheaply recently with poor passes 
  • The most notable thing today, No silly individual errors!!!. There appeared to be some cohesion at last. Hopefully Lee doesn’t complicate things and try to be clever with tactics going forward. Every time he resets to basic footballing principles we all end up on here very much happier and cohesive as a fan base!!! Long may it continue 🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Every team that plays us away ensures they have bodies behind the ball and breaks quickly. They do that with various degrees of ability, but it poses us massive problems whoever does it. This is because a) When we try to pass too much we invariably run out of options and lose the ball cheaply and often in dangerous positions and b) there is no space for our forwards and they can get easily suffocated.

If we played today's system with Washington and Scwartz, it wouldn't have worked. But with Stockley and Aneke a ball to them can open a team up and Millar is a great player to compliment them with his directness. I think it ought to work at home too.

BTW, I thought the ref was ignoring a lot of fouls on Aneke today. But that is a good sign as their defenders wer not comfortable and that is a reaosn why they couldn't get bodies forward they would have liked. Unlike some previous games where we have made a sub which has told opponents, we have given up scoring, break us down. 
  • I said earlier this week that I thought Pearce has not been 100% fit since he came back from injury and that we are better when Purrington plays.

For me the 1st 11 is starting to take shape.
                  Amos
    Gunter Oshi Pearce (until Famewo back) Purrington 
         X.     Pratley.  JFC.  Millar    
                Y.     Stockley.

Also have to say that Bowyer got his tactics spot on today. Good away win. Should have had two pens and with a modicum of luck another from open play.
  • Croydon said:
    Solid win, could have been more. Forced Rochdale into long ball football, which Deji and Pearce dealt with well. Purrington solid, as usual, and good to have him back.

Aneke and Stockley are the partnership we need to build on. Jaiyesemi looked lively, and a good addition. 
    Agree with this. I think Schwartz will fade away like a slab of lurpak in a Scandinavian sauna. Shows the mediocrity of the Danish league. Blatantly obvious that he was a Sandgaard 'patriotic' signing. 
     Be interesting if Aneke refuses to sign and we can't sign stockley.
  • Croydon said:
    Solid win, could have been more. Forced Rochdale into long ball football, which Deji and Pearce dealt with well. Purrington solid, as usual, and good to have him back.

Aneke and Stockley are the partnership we need to build on. Jaiyesemi looked lively, and a good addition. 
    Agree with this. I think Schwartz will fade away like a slab of lurpak in a Scandinavian sauna. Shows the mediocrity of the Danish league. Blatantly obvious that he was a Sandgaard 'patriotic' signing. 
    Schwartz will get his chance, but at this point seeing as what has been happening, Aneke and Stockley is our way forwards were possble.
  • edited February 2021
  • Redrobo said:
    I said earlier this week that I thought Pearce has not been 100% fit since he came back from injury and that we are better when Purrington plays.

For me the 1st 11 is starting to take shape.
                  Amos
    Gunter Oshi Pearce (until Famewo back) Purrington 
         X.     Pratley.  JFC.  Millar    
                Y.     Stockley.

Also have to say that Bowyer got his tactics spot on today. Good away win. Should have had two pens and with a modicum of luck another from open play.
    It's a tough one with the midfield. Millar has to play down the left so that rules out the diamond. Shinnie isn't a winger but I do rate him and think he deserves to start. Eventually I would like to see us play DJ down the right against the teams where we should be looking to dominate. But then we have so many CM's trying to fit into a midfield pairing. It's good to have depth, just not sure what our best side. 

Agree on Purrington though, deserves a run in the side. Deji's form means the return of Inniss is less important and doesn't need to be rushed, would love Famewo back ASAP although Pearce was good today.