Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2021

Comments

• Best laid plans and all that.

Booked an hotel for the T20 QF at a good price as soon as we knew the date. Cancelable too in case we didn't get tickets. 

Just found out the hotel is being taken over by the government (for refugees) and of course all other good options are already gone, but have managed to get something.

I know it is horrific what is happening in Afghanistan and other people are going to have hotel bookings canceled too
    That sucks. Can I ask want hotel you were staying in? I’m booked into the Hilton. Did you find out by email? 
  • Stewart said:
    Best laid plans and all that.

Booked an hotel for the T20 QF at a good price as soon as we knew the date. Cancelable too in case we didn't get tickets. 

Just found out the hotel is being taken over by the government (for refugees) and of course all other good options are already gone, but have managed to get something.

I know it is horrific what is happening in Afghanistan and other people are going to have hotel bookings canceled too
    That sucks. Can I ask want hotel you were staying in? I’m booked into the Hilton. Did you find out by email? 
    We were in the Abbots Barton, Great Western but have now booked Hampton by Hilton. They called and left a vague message but then emailed too
  • Stewart said:

We were in the Abbots Barton, Great Western but have now booked Hampton by Hilton. They called and left a vague message but then emailed too
    I might see you at the bar Friday night sipping champagne then. 
  • Stewart said:
    Stewart said:

Drowning our sorrows going by the likely form of our team. Another of our teams! Hopefully we're having a bit of a CL meet up in the ground with the lovely Fanny too
  • Stewart said:
    Stewart said:

Drowning our sorrows going by the likely form of our team. Another of our teams! Hopefully we're having a bit of a CL meet up in the ground with the lovely Fanny too
    More then happy to do that.

• Drowning our sorrows going by the likely form of our team. Another of our teams! Hopefully we're having a bit of a CL meet up in the ground with the lovely Fanny too
    There's a few of us from on here going  :smile:

• Drowning our sorrows going by the likely form of our team. Another of our teams! Hopefully we're having a bit of a CL meet up in the ground with the lovely Fanny too
    There's a few of us from on here going  :smile:

I'll be the one sprinting out of the ground (whether we win or lose) to catch the last Javelin train back to London!
  • Stewart said:
    Stewart said:

My 3 , including fellow Addick/Kent supporter, Don , are sitting on the Northern Bank, Block 9 , row C together with Stewart 's 2. 

Not sure where you'll be but suggest than a pre match catch up would be best as there's so little time between innings & most will be rushing to the bar then.

We aim to leave the TW area around 2-2.30 & note that gates open at 5pm. 

With little , if any, traffic problems, we should be parked up around that time so if you could let us know what sort of time you expect to be at the ground, we can make a cunning plan from there....
  • We are Northern Bank - Block Northern Bank Block 4 - Row E - Seat 37 and 38 and will probably get there between 5:50 and 6 but can be flexible
  • Thoughts on what our 11 will be tomorrow evening ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure about the team tomorrow but all 3 southern teams have made it to the final. Can Kent make it the full house? 
  • Stewart said:
    Not sure about the team tomorrow but all 3 southern teams have made it to the final. Can Kent make it the full house? 
    Indeed, that's the question.
  • Stewart said:
    Not sure about the team tomorrow but all 3 southern teams have made it to the final. Can Kent make it the full house? 
    Is Zak available and Bilbo?
  • Stewart said:
    they certainly are! team news is on the Kent website and it looks like a full house. Getting a little nervy....
  • Stewart said:

Both possibilities, I guess as several of The Hundred players have appeared already in the other Quarter Finals. 

Neither are in the Test Match bubble/squads, are they ? 

I sincerely hope that Adam Milne is available though.
  • edited August 2021
    Interesting to see which teams have won the other 3 QFs - I'm not pointing out any link!

I will blame the Hundred - for many reasons but mainly because we have so many players seconded who didn't play much or at all!
  • Thanks, guys. 

Looking a decent, strong squad & wonder who'll miss out.

For me, it'll be Stewart & possibly Cox but really unsure about the other one. 
  • Will Zak play? Out of touch, not scored many runs recently. Or even Denly or DBD?

• Sponsored links:

• Thanks, guys. 

Looking a decent, strong squad & wonder who'll miss out.

For me, it'll be Stewart & possibly Cox but really unsure about the other one. 
    Think they will leave out Stewart and Robinson in front of Cox just because the latter has a better white ball record - although I could see neither playing and Billings taking the gloves:

DBD
    Crawley
    Denly
    Billings
    Leaning
    Blake
    Stevens
    Milne
    Milnes
    Qais Ahmad
    Klaassen

• Chris Woakes? Just our luck that his comeback is for Warks and not for England at Headingley!
  • With the growth of T20 franchise leagues, plus England central contracts, it's barely worth having great white ball players anyway, as you'll see so little of them

The only domestic white ball competition, which seems to be protected from England white ball games and other franchise cricket is the 100
  • With the growth of T20 franchise leagues, plus England central contracts, it's barely worth having great white ball players anyway, as you'll see so little of them

The only domestic white ball competition, which seems to be protected from England white ball games and other franchise cricket is the 100
    I agree about the "great" bit. But we still need to be producing "good" players. And that goes for red as much as white ball. Although I suspect that there is more than a certain element of scouting for players from other counties (Milnes, Gilchrist, Qadri, Quinn, Podmore, Muyeye, Logan and Leaning to name but a few) that has meant that our financial resources are being spent in that direction rather than on our own age group infrastructure. A bit like moneyball but without the profit element through selling on players. 
  • So the Hundred becomes more Key than ODI which is ludicrous when END are ODI world champions! It's not about money - much!
  • edited August 2021
    I see that Sussex have confirmed that Salt and Jordan are leaving Sussex. As I mentioned on The Hundred thread, Sussex currently have 12 contracted players between the ages of 17 and 20 compared to Kent's two - and one of those came from Sussex.

There is now a three tier group of counties - at the top are the Test playing/The Hundred hosting group that are going to be poaching the best players even more than they ever did. In the middle are the likes of Sussex  with benefactors who are supporting financially the growth of their age group sides. And then there's the likes of Kent.

How can any County seriously have an Academy made up of four players? And one of those hasn't played a single minute of cricket this season due to injury and another hasn't played since June leaving us with just two - and one of those hasn't been played any 2s cricket this year. We used to have 10-12 every season which resulted in the production of the likes of Denly, Northeast, Blake, DBD, Coles, Riley, Ball, Davis, Billings, Crawley, O'Riordan, Robinson and Cox. Not to mention Joe Pigott and Nathan Baxter who saw the light and became pro footballers instead.

As they say, you reap what you sow!

Salt has gone to Lancs. Rumours that Jordan was going back to Surrey.

Edit - of course the fact that Salt played for the Manchester Originals in The Hundred is purely a coincidence
  • I see that Sussex have confirmed that Salt and Jordan are leaving Sussex. As I mentioned on The Hundred thread, Sussex currently have 12 contracted players between the ages of 17 and 20 compared to Kent's two - and one of those came from Sussex.

There is now a three tier group of counties - at the top are the Test playing/The Hundred hosting group that are going to be poaching the best players even more than they ever did. In the middle are the likes of Sussex  with benefactors who are supporting financially the growth of their age group sides. And then there's the likes of Kent.

How can any County seriously have an Academy made up of four players? And one of those hasn't played a single minute of cricket this season due to injury and another hasn't played since June leaving us with just two - and one of those hasn't been played any 2s cricket this year. We used to have 10-12 every season which resulted in the production of the likes of Denly, Northeast, Blake, DBD, Coles, Riley, Ball, Davis, Billings, Crawley, O'Riordan, Robinson and Cox. Not to mention Joe Pigott and Nathan Baxter who saw the light and became pro footballers instead.

As they say, you reap what you sow!

Salt has gone to Lancs. Rumours that Jordan was going back to Surrey.

Edit - of course the fact that Salt played for the Manchester Originals in The Hundred is purely a coincidence
    Try convincing Chizz of that, lol!
  • Delighted Somerset won last night.
    I was beginning to think being at home was a bit of a hoo doo 😳

Enjoy all who are there tonight, been 8 years yesterday that I was there last 😞

I’ll be scanning the crowds, lots of singing, don’t let me down 😎😜😘😘
    "You're not fit to wear the shirt"

;)