Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Portsmouth | Tues 2nd Feb 2021

Comments

• If we beat Rochdale it will be tight and defensive. It isn't the blueprint for going on a run. That is creating quite a few more chances than you concede, however you achieve that. 
    One thing you can say about games involving Rochdale are that they are not "tight & defensive"...😄.

FWIW, I reckon Bowyer will see the light on Saturday, will start with Millar & DJ and we win 4-2.
  • Matthews massive drop in form since resigning for us is a complete mystery.

Does not look anywhere near the same player we had in the championship. Bizarre 
    I wonder if it's anything to do with with one week your in the team and the next week you're out? 
    Possibly. 20 games left to pick best 11 and stick with it where we can.

I just want to see 442 with best players on the pitch in right positions for consecutive matches. Surely got to yield better than the constant switching and square pegs.
  • If we beat Rochdale it will be tight and defensive. It isn't the blueprint for going on a run. That is creating quite a few more chances than you concede, however you achieve that. 
    One thing you can say about games involving Rochdale are that they are not "tight & defensive"...😄.

FWIW, I reckon Bowyer will see the light on Saturday, will start with Millar & DJ and we win 4-2.
    One thing that you can say about games involving Charlton, most of the time, is that they are not "tight and defensive", mainly because our defence is non-existent. 
  • PWR and after trying to calm down for the past 3 hours....

I did stay on stream until Bow's post match interview was concluded and thought he gave a fair assessment of the match with no excuses...

But he admitted AGAIN that we were too soft so I have to ask, why, after he'd already given that assessment recently, had the issue not been successfully addressed ! Surely it's a manager's or coach's job to identify any problems and sort them out. It's not as if he only has 11 fit players - he has more options now than he's probably had since he took over the reins. Maybe that's part of his problem....

He also referred to the fact that Pompey " do what they do" and "do it well ". Fair point. We may not like the numerous times their players "fall over" but it appears to win them free kicks all over the pitch ( I think the ref must be an ex sailor though tonight) and they looked to attack at every opportunity, seeming to know where their team mates would be before they completed a pass. Maybe our lads should be provided with sat navs to help them find one another ....

If this is Pompey's successful modus operandi, what is ours ? Do WE have a Charlton way of playing ? How closely does Bow, JJ, SG watch the opposition before we play them ? Do we work on getting the basics right in training day after day ? Would it help Bow to watch a game or two from higher in the West Stand where he'd be able to see more clearly what we and Terry & Greg see ? 

SO many questions and, well, you know the rest...

I honestly believe that tonight heralded the crossroads for the gaffer and it pains me to admit it. 

We all love the guy who we first saw racing around the pitch on his spindly legs as a 17 year old. And love the way in which this ex player returned "home" to lead our team onwards & upwards under the most difficult circumstances and against all odds.

But I am beginning to question whether his lack of managerial experience, and possibly a degree of naivety, is becoming all too apparent. Perhaps opposition managers note such frailties, if indeed they are, and use this to their advantage when preparing their teams to face the Addicks ( IYKWIM ) 

The question may soon be posed as to whether a more experienced "old" head might get more from a squad of players that many surely envy. I guess there's only one way we'll find out the answer. Many of us here have felt that a mentor, or indeed someone who's been there & worn the T shirt, would be beneficial to our Lee - perhaps the time is right for Thomas to mull this over. 

Every match, I want this one to be the start of that fabled "good run". 

But it just isn't happening. And, sadly, the signs are not there of significant improvement on anything like a regular basis. 

And I fear that the return of Innis and Famewo when fit will not solve our current problems, even if they are able to hit the ground running, as opposed to limping.

Those of you that have played the beautiful game will have your own ideas of where the solution to our problems lie and I look forward to reading those views on this thread tomorrow. 

But I believe that you will all be posing the question of where do we go from here ....

Worried of Wadhurst.

If Fanny has lost faith with one of our own then I think that that speaks volumes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    ct_addick said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I think we’ve kind of all assumed JFC is a decent footballer because he’s been our best midfielder.

I think it says a lot more about our squad than it does his performances. I find him very uninspiring for the most part.
    Yep. JFC mid to lower level league 1 player. If he plays with his hair one more time FFS. Cut it or wear a hair band
    I was gonna read the whole thread before commenting on anything but you’ve mentioned one of my biggest gripes of this evenings shit show , fucking put something on it a hair band an Alice band a Cnut band a fucking pair of cnuting scissors through the lot you fucking twat , shave it bald for a Brazilian you Cnut fucking stop playing with it you big girls blouse .
    Seriously it  got to me tonight every fricking time .rant over , pass the Cadbury’s nurse and relax one two three 
    no I don’t want to sleep cos i’’l see that twat slicking back his cnuting Barnet again fcuk off 
    please sedate me nurse 

This, this is what I come to the internet for 
    You love discussions about Alice bands. Fair enough. 
  • For several weeks we've had a glaring defensive weakness through the middle. It's not just a CB problem, it's the lack of shield in front of the defence which is highlighted by the number of goals we concede to quick counter attacks. Attacks where we lose the ball and the opposition break at will through our midfield to get a shot away. Pompey had several breakaways (including the "comedy" one in the Tweet above) which they could/should have scored from

And we've done nothing about it. No new centre back, no new defensive shield in midfield, no change of tactics to prevent this happening. And until we stop this, we'll continue to drop lots of points.
  • For several weeks we've had a glaring defensive weakness through the middle. It's not just a CB problem, it's the lack of shield in front of the defence which is highlighted by the number of goals we concede to quick counter attacks. Attacks where we lose the ball and the opposition break at will through our midfield to get a shot away. Pompey had several breakaways (including the "comedy" one in the Tweet above) which they could/should have scored from

And we've done nothing about it. No new centre back, no new defensive shield in midfield, no change of tactics to prevent this happening. And until we stop this, we'll continue to drop lots of points.
    Pratley could be that shield or Watson, but if you don't have a back four that are competent then it's irrelevant. 
  • Leuth said:
    Bowyer literally just said "I don't fink they're betterer than us"
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer literally just said "I don't fink they're betterer than us"
    No, they aren't, Lee.  But their manager is betterer than you.
    Jesus wept... How childish can you get when you point out how someone talks!!
    Alright.  You are correct.  Shouldn't let a bit of silly levity get in the way of the point:

No they aren't Lee.  But their manager is better than you.
    Just not true is it. They’ve faced each other 5 times, Bowyer has won 4 of those. 
    He’s 1 all with Bielsa too but I know who the better manager is! 
  • edited February 2021
    I think Matthews has been our best defender of late. He’s a proper professional footballer and should be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. But our defence this season has been such a car wreck. I think injuries are to blame but Bowyer also needs to take some of the flak.

Would a dedicated defensive coach be worth bringing in? Bowyer talks about how JJ takes the defence coaching....but he was an attaching midfielder. 

I wonder if someone like Steve Brown coming in to work on shape and higher line would help?
  • Or, alternatively, you could bring in a proper manager like Sir Chrissy Powell. 
  • One question for all the Bowyer apologists -

When is enough enough  ?  We have now won 4 games in our last 17. 

Is it when we win 5 in 20....?

Or when we win 6 in 23 ?

Week in & week out I read that its a blip, we won 6 on the trot, wait for the "big 2" to come back.....blah blah blah. 

Will you now accept that he has taken us as far as he can. 
    I asked the question on the Bowyer Out thread but unfortunately no one has provided an answer

Should Curbs and Gritt have been sacked in 92/93 when we went on a similar run where we got 14-points from 17-games whereas we've gone 18-points from 17-games at the present...? - There is absolutely zero patience amongst Football fans anymore

For me its not a case he cant be at fault for anything, even I've been critical in recent weeks

But for me he gets a period into next season depending on results, gets a proper summer to work in pre-season @ Sparrows Lane and on a Training Camp to actually build a squad that is built on unity. This team has been rushed, its been put together in a panicked mess, its like sticking up a wall without any foundations and hoping it can do the job its there for.

The teams around us, how many of them have had to build virtually from scratch AGAIN this season... Instead I imagine they've put together a team of players that has been improved over the seasons to the point its strong enough to mount a serious promotion challenge

Regardless of who the Manager is next season, this summer HAS to be the last time that happens

We talk about recovering from Roland's era, we talk about the damage ESI have done, its going to take time to recover as a Football club.

But we wont get anywhere as a team without a stable team that is constantly being replaced and changed every season
    Some great points there, but at the moment we have a team and formation that is being changed every 45 minutes!
    No player wants to be played out of position.
    No player wants to be hooked at half time.
    No player wants to be singled out as the scapegoat for a loss
    At the moment, all of the above are happening way too regularly for us to play with any cohesion or confidence. 
  • Bowyer said post match that Morgans effort on goal was a poor decision when he could of played in Shinnie. It was a shite effort but still the right call by Morgan.  Joke is knowing how Shinnie has been playing he would of passed it back, but never mind that. Why bring that up.? Millar, Kaskey, Waterson and others all had chances and which went miles wide? Waterson gave a goal away yet nothing from Bows.

Gunter could repeatedly put the ball in his own net but Bowyer wont say a word. 
  • Bowyer said post match that Morgans effort on goal was a poor decision when he could of played in Shinnie. It was a shite effort but still the right call by Morgan.  Joke is knowing how Shinnie has been playing he would of passed it back, but never mind that. Why bring that up.? Millar, Kaskey, Waterson and others all had chances and which went miles wide? Waterson gave a goal away yet nothing from Bows.

Gunter could repeatedly put the ball in his own net but Bowyer wont say a word. 
    I’d like to see you blame Waterson to her face! Getting on a bit but she’d still kick your arse 
  • Sponsored links:

• i like to see her try 

in fact i would love to see her try 
  • On our current form which is LDWLDW we should draw against Rochdale and beat Gillingham oh happy days.
  • Dreadful performance.

- no athletic CB in the window, obvious mistake. 
    - constant ‘one in a season’ blunders, why is this happening so regularly?!
    - it’s not just the obvious blunders either. Our build up play is so slow and predictable, as it grinds it’s way through it’s routine additional players commit forward then comes the misplaced pass leaving acres of space for the opposition. I’m convinced now that other League 1 coaches know we’ll give at least 5 situations like this in a match and they play to it. Easy goals. We are not Barcelona or Man City.
    - wank team selection in leaving Millar out.
    - Schwartz is not the answer. He may be the greatest ‘fox in the box’ since Gerd Muller, who knows, but that’s not what we need right now. Washington’s energy would contribute to the team much more, don’t see a Stockley/Aneke front two as working (unless the match situation demands it).

Bowyer has to change things (definition of insanity and all that). We’re way to easy to read at the moment and I think we can afford to be more direct.

• I'm in the minority here in not really caring about this season I think. We're coming off the back of a relegation season in the midst of a pandemic, as well as the club having to be saved in the last minute meaning we couldn't play around the salary cap. Bowyer has made some strange decisions and the football we have been playing at times is boring, but unless we get relegated, Bowyer has to be given the summer and following January window. 
    I'd give him 15 games of next season before reviewing.
    My early prediction for a new manager.  Sandgaard will bring in either an unknown Dane or an American, then watch the fireworks!
    If you do that you do know that you have  blown that season too. 

I wouldn't even give Bowyer the last 15 games of THIS season. 
    I'm old school and like to see stability, sorry my dear chum @blackpool72, and believe that is best in the long term.
    However, I do concede that 2020 as a whole has not been great for Bowyer.  
    I would still stick with Bowyer but @golfaddick does make a fair point.
  • We are going to be down here for years boys... at least we now have an owner who can afford to keep the club solvent until circumstances turn in our favour - which I think, with the salary cap may be several years... 

(heads to the car, puts the hose in through the window)
  • Another very poor display. We are vulnerable at the back and predictable going forward, so will not win many games. Our experienced players let us down again in Watson and Gunter, but we deserved nothing. Portsmouth the better team and better manager, they analysed us well and knew how to break us down on the counter attack. There is not much time left for Bowyer to get it right or our season is over. 

Would like to see Stockley and Washington up front, that might work since Washington will provide another outlet in the channels.